The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Office birthdays...."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Meemo 3519 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-02-05, 09:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Meemo Click to send private message to Meemo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Office birthdays...."
Every time there is a birthday in our office, a card circulates for everyone to sign.

Considering I'm a professional writer, you'd think I would be able to come up with something short, witty and clever to include. In fact, I almost feel obligated to do that. Instead, I ALWAYS draw a blank.

What's up with that? Anybody else share in my dilemna?

Half man, half amazing, all DAW
And yes... I'm preoccupying myself with this crisis to shield myself from the rest of the chaos that's consuming my life right now

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Office birthdays.... HistoryDetective 11-02-05 1
 RE: Office birthdays.... Coconut 11-02-05 2
 RE: Office birthdays.... CantStandToLook 11-02-05 3
 RE: Office birthdays.... geg6 11-02-05 4
 RE: Office birthdays.... AugustGirl 11-02-05 5
 RE: Office birthdays.... zipperhead 11-02-05 6
   RE: Office birthdays.... geg6 11-02-05 7
 RE: Office birthdays.... blacknwhitedog 11-02-05 8
 Meeeeeeeeeeeemo! Glow 11-02-05 9
   GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!! Meemo 11-02-05 13
       or how about... Meemo 11-02-05 15
           RE: or how about... Glow 11-02-05 19
 RE: Office birthdays.... NolayC 11-02-05 10
 RE: Office birthdays.... bondt007 11-02-05 11
 RE: Office birthdays.... dabo 11-02-05 12
 RE: Office birthdays.... frisky 11-02-05 14
   RE: Office birthdays.... flipxcyd 11-02-05 20
 RE: Office birthdays.... India 11-02-05 16
 RE: Office birthdays.... miamicatt 11-02-05 17
   RE: Office birthdays.... India 11-02-05 18
 RE: Office birthdays.... MTW1961 11-02-05 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-02-05, 09:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Office birthdays...."
Why not just write a standard birthday poem in each card?

Happy birthday to you
You belong in a zoo
Cuz you look like a monkey
And smell like one too

Sigs by Syren and Seana. Bouncie by IceCat. One and Only WeinerGuy.
journal
"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all our citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." --- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 9 January 1940

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Office birthdays...."
I never have anything to say either. It just strikes me as filler writing.

Coc au Flange-- Official Dish of the Phoquetard Inquisitorial Squad

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Office birthdays...."
eh, I always thought "Happy B'day, Steve" was extremely deep, prophetic and extremely funny at the same time. It never fails me

Whose nutz? ARnutz

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 09:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Office birthdays...."
Most definitely. I think my problem is that, for most of these people, I don't know them well enough (nor do I care to) to be my the witty self that I can on cards for close friends or relatives.

I like my co-workers and all (mostly), but I don't want to get close enough to them to let them know my true snarky self.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Office birthdays...."
I stick with "Happy Birthday *insert name*". Not witty, but it works.

Now my real problem is when the sympathy cards come by. Oy! The angst I have in writing something in those.

a J Slice original. bounce by Icey.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-02-05, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Office birthdays...."
Whenever someone passes me a birthday card, I make little doodle of what I think the birthday person would look like naked.

People don't ask me to sign birthday cards very often.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Office birthdays...."
LOL! I have to try that!

I'm such a slut for the blues.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Office birthdays...."
Dear ________
Gee you're old
(smiley face)
love Meemo

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Meeeeeeeeeeeemo!"
A lady I used to work with came up with Roses are red poems that were very simple and funny and didn't always rhyme. "Roses are red. Violets are blue. I like bananas. Why don't you?" - was one of my favorites.

11-02-05, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Meemo Click to send private message to Meemo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!"
So something like this?

Roses are red
Violets are blue
You're looking old
That's a shame

© 2005 A Meemo original

11-02-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
15. "or how about..."
Roses are red
Violets are blue
No matter how old I get
I'll still be younger than you

© 2005 A Meemo original

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: or how about..."
I think those are perfect. *smooch*

NolayC 1251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-02-05, 11:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail NolayC Click to send private message to NolayC Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Office birthdays...."
I find "Keep on, keeping on" to be highly effective. Or to change it up I will read the other comments and simply put "What Steve said" and then hope Steve writes something witty.

"Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life."--YES

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-02-05, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Office birthdays...."

From my high school days:

Don't ever change, and if you do, change back.

or...

Get a tan.

>Issued by "Q" and RollDdice

Charter Member, April 2001; Club Anti-DAW

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Office birthdays...."
I stick with a plain "Happy Birthday" at work coz I always draw a blank in that situation too. We're better off not raising expectations.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Office birthdays...."
"You're not getting older, you're getter better"

or

"Your not getting better, you're getting older"

depending on the recipient.

I used to squirm over this, too, but now I just get it over with with a quick "Enjoy your day!" or "Have a good b-day!" or "What's the air like on that side of the hill?"

I have more trouble with condolensce cards. WTF do you write when you're the last one to get the card and all the good condolensces are taken?

flipxcyd 1060 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-02-05, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flipxcyd Click to send private message to flipxcyd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Office birthdays...."
Pass it on and HOPE no one notices.

Otherwise, I just sign my name really sloppily and hope the reader can't decipher it.

India 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-02-05, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail India Click to send private message to India Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Office birthdays...."
No wit whatsoever from me, either. "Have a great Birthday! India" - that's as witty as it gets.

miamicatt 9247 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-05, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Office birthdays...."
I usually write "thanks for last night" just to shake things up a bit.

India 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-02-05, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail India Click to send private message to India Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Office birthdays...."
Heh... I like that!

My favorite office card signage was many years ago when a co-worker of ours was moving out of the country. We were signing a Goodbye and Good Luck card for him, and his officemate confiscated it before anyone else could write anymore cheesiness. He then proceeded to sign all through the card with "Stay Cool!" from absolutely anyone even remotely connected to our office:

"Dave - Stay Cool! Love, Bob's dog Lambchop"
"Dave - Stay Cool! Love, Scott's five year old son Jack"
"Dave - Stay Cool! Love, the couple in that murder-suicide across the street six years ago"

It was truly a sight to behold once he was done!

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-02-05, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Office birthdays...."
I'm the funny, offbeat one at work, so everyone naturally expects my comments to be either outrageous, hilarious, or both. Unfortunately, the bar raises higher with every new card. So right now, I'm in a period of devaluing expectations with a few "Happy Birthday _____" and "Have a great retirement" messages.

As soon as expectations are back down to earth, I can start creating again.

Thanks, Icey!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •