The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Reminder about Guidelines..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-26-02, 09:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Reminder about Guidelines..."
For the S4 season, there are once again a few things that I'd like to make sure we're all aware of...

First:

The official vote thread will be started on Tuesday night by either SherpaDave or Superman. Any vote thread NOT started by one of those two will be locked and/or deleted... Starting it Tuesday night gives people a little less than 48 hours to cast their vote (which should be plenty of time).
The rules for the vote thread will be included each week in the initial post... it's easy... works the same as last season.

Second:

The official East Coast feed Thread will be started each week by IceCat.

All play-by-play comments should be placed in that thread. Everyone should feel free to add their comments/observations/analysis to that thread... New threads that contain information about the show that are posted before .
This is to allow our West Coast members to use the spoiler board during the show, without having the actual episode ruined for them. It also allows spoiler access to any West Coasters that just can't wait another 3 hours (and keeps a summary in our archives, should we ever need one). West Coasters should be aware, however, that the mods can't be everywhere at once. Accessing the forum after 8pm EST should be done at your own risk.

After each episode, posts like "I told you that Lindsey was next to go" should be kept to a minimum... Bragging is natural, but our goal each week is to spoil the next episode, not feed our egos.

Finally:

I'd like to remind everyone that this is a threaded community. The board features allow us to keep related information under the same heading. While we allow our members to start any threads that they want, we ask that your thread contribute in some way to the effort of the board. In other words, if you wish to comment on a subject addressed in another thread, do it in that thread. If you have something new to share, a new thread is appropriate.

There is a lot of leeway on this, because it's hard to define what should be considered "related" and what should be considered "new" (since really every thread is striving to spoil the same aspects of the show)... obvious violations will be taken care of at the moderators' discretion, but our overall goal is to have fun.

Additionally, it should be noted that we have forums for fanatics (praising the contestants) and bashers (making fun of the contestants). There's a lot of fun to be had in this forum (check out fanatics for two contests that begin this week-- a PTTE contest, and the anti-bootee contest). Since these forums are readily available, if your post has nothing to do with spoiling the show, you should consider posting it in one of those two locations.

SB has traditionally been a community with minimal flaming and minimal policing by the moderators. The basic guideline should be to respect the members of the community and to try to spoil the show. If everyone strives for this, we'll have no problems at all in the coming season.

If anyone has any questions/comments about these guidelines, feel free to post to this thread... we're open to suggestions... this is just how it's worked in the past... Also, if you think I left anything out that our new members should be aware of, add it!!!

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 SOTS PepeLePew13 02-27-02 1
   Yes... sleeeve 02-27-02 5
 RE: Reminder about Guidelines... SurvivinDawg 02-27-02 2
   RE: Reminder about Guidelines... Superman 02-27-02 3
   Correct... sleeeve 02-27-02 6
       Inquiry SurvivinDawg 02-28-02 11
           RE: Inquiry PepeLePew13 02-28-02 12
 Sig Pics dabo 02-27-02 4
   60 pixels in height sleeeve 02-27-02 7
       RE: 60 pixels in height Krautboy 02-28-02 13
           RE: 60 pixels in height dabo 02-28-02 14
               RE: 60 pixels in height George Tirebiter 02-28-02 15
                   RE: 60 pixels in height dabo 02-28-02 16
                       RE: 60 pixels in height George Tirebiter 02-28-02 18
           RE: 60 pixels in height SurvivorBlows 02-28-02 17
               RE: 60 pixels in height Krautboy 03-01-02 19
 A question George Tirebiter 02-27-02 8
   RE: A question SurvivorBlows 02-27-02 9
       RE: A question George Tirebiter 02-28-02 10
 RE: Reminder about Guidelines... George Tirebiter 03-02-02 20
   RE: Reminder about Guidelines... NorthOfBoston 03-04-02 23
       RE: Reminder about Guidelines... SurvivorBlows 03-04-02 24
           RE: Reminder about Guidelines... dabo 03-05-02 25
       RE: Reminder about Guidelines... George Tirebiter 03-05-02 26
 RE: Reminder about Guidelines... shakes the clown 03-02-02 21
   RE: Reminder about Guidelines... SurvivorBlows 03-02-02 22
   RE: Reminder about Guidelines... Alpengeist 03-12-02 32
 Reminder TO READ the Guidelines... George Tirebiter 03-11-02 27
   RE: Reminder TO READ the Guidelines... volmel 03-11-02 28
       RE: Reminder TO READ the Guidelines... ADKer 03-11-02 29
           RE: Reminder TO READ the Guidelines... George Tirebiter 03-11-02 30
 RE: Threaded community Outfrontgirl 03-12-02 31
   RE: Threaded community volmel 03-12-02 33
 RE: Reminder about Guidelines... dabo 03-14-02 34
 bump. TechNoir 03-29-02 35
 RE: Reminder about Guidelines... adjunkie 04-01-02 36

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-27-02, 05:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "SOTS"
Any plans to have a SOTS (State of the Spoiling) thresd each week that were a huge help last season in keeping track all the debates and evidence of the next boot?

02-27-02, 06:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Yes..."
State of the Spoiling will return this evening.

Ice Cat has generously agreed to be in charge of week one... the rough draft is done, and after he's had the chance to revise, it will be posted tonite.

We will usually try to publish SOTS on Tuesday or Wednesday each week.

For now, the moderators will publish the SOTS thread, but it is possible that we will solicit help at some point in the future (sorta like summaries)... if we decide we need volunteers, we'll be sure to let everyone know.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-02, 07:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
... and, if I am not mistaken, summaries are posted to the Bashers forum. Correct me QUICK if I am wrong...

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Superman 3157 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-02, 07:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Superman Click to send private message to Superman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
You are correct Dawg!

...but most of the writers last year went ahead and posted a link in each forum saying the summary was up. I don't think anyone had any nits to pick with that.

Criminals From the Neck Up

02-27-02, 06:06 PM (EST)
6. "Correct..."
...as Superman pointed out, Summaries should be posted in the basher forum. A link to your summary should be posted in both the Spoilers forum, and in the Fanatics forum, since there are a number of people that rarely stray beyond these walls, and would love to read the summary, as well.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

02-28-02, 06:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Inquiry"
I am not "up" on posting links. What is the best way of doing that? Just copy the URL?

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

02-28-02, 08:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Inquiry"
Yes... when you've got the link open, highlight the URL and then copy it, come back here to the Spoilers board (or any other board) and then create a new thread and paste the URL in your post.

Good luck... looking forward to your ep summary, Dawg!

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-02, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Sig Pics"
Those who wish to come up with their own sigpics should be aware that there is a long-standing request to limit their size. I don't recall what the maximum is which is considered still being courteous in this regard.

02-27-02, 06:10 PM (EST)
7. "60 pixels in height"
sig pics should be no more than 60 pixels in height, and should be a reasonable width. (You can check the properties of the picture by right clicking and choosing "Properties".)

This is to prevent slow loading pages, and to keep the over-all height of the thread to a minimum.

People with extraneously large sig pics may be contacted, and asked to shrink or remove them... so save us the trouble, and do it yourself, in advance.

If you want an guideline, this sig pic is exactly 60 pixels in height:

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-28-02, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: 60 pixels in height"
Sleeve:

Is it pixel height or total "bytes" that matters? Why is it more important to limit height than width? I don't understand...

You mean I have to shorten my cute little krautboy and make him a fat little krautboy?

He's only a total 3661 bytes.(some are as large 19845 bytes ) Isn't download speed a function of bytes per second?

Can you tell I'm a little defensive about cute my little krautboy? How long does it take to download the little guy...1/10 of a second?

Am I whining?

Krautboy (just 3661 bytes of cuteness!)

02-28-02, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: 60 pixels in height"
I like your sigpic just fine the way it is, Krautboy, you'll hear no complaints from me. I can't officially answer your question, though, but my greater concern is download time. When it comes to just using up space in a post, something like

seems perfectly fine to me, whereas a real monster can be cute once but you can get tired of scrolling through the thing, like this one.

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings

02-28-02, 03:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: 60 pixels in height"
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-02 AT 03:55 PM (EST)

Good grief, dabo! HERE!

(Yes, I was getting a bit embarrassed by that HUGE birdie appearing over and over. . . I didn't think you were going to use him as a sig! Arrrrrrrrr)

GT

Edited to add: Krautboy, your little guy disappears if he's just shrunk. . .

But if you crop him, he's easier to see:

. . . and that was so forlorn-looking, it seems like he needs something to anchor him:

Use 'em or not, as you didn't request this (IceCat is the resident sig pix guy, if you can FIND him); some people just can't resist an opportunity to fart around with Photoshop, in an effort to ignore REAL work . . .

Boy, couldn't you just go for a big plate of weinerschnitzel about now? Ach du lieber!

02-28-02, 03:45 PM (EST)
16. "RE: 60 pixels in height"
lol, GT, you know I can't resist a good fun-pokin' gag when it gufu's my way. And thank you.
SMILES ARE FREE

02-28-02, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: 60 pixels in height"
coonhead, I LIVE for your ribbing--you know that!

Awww. . . that little guy looks so much better in his actual size!

GT

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

02-28-02, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: 60 pixels in height"
>Is it pixel height or total "bytes" that matters? Why is
>it more important to limit height than width? I don't
>understand...

Since this is my rule and not EEE's, I'll answer this.

Yes, in this case it's PIXEL HEIGHT that matters. While size is important, unless someone has some massive animated image, the image shouldn't be too big.

I'm more concerned about size because personally I don't like to see a one sentence post fit up half the screen once a sig and sig image has been applied-- it just makes the threads look bad and make them difficult to read.

This all all going to be likely become a mute point whenever I get around to modifying the latest release of our message board software and upgrading to it -- in that release sig images will be handled differently and sizes will be enforced by the software itself (sorry folks, that's just the way it is, the Wild West days of sig images are gonna be ending.)

-SB

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-02, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: 60 pixels in height"
Danke schoen Webby, Since your changing software anyway, I won't bother spending alot of time on this now. I'll just ride the cute little guy into the sunset with everyone else...until it's time to say "aufwiedersehen". Hope that's OK.

Will the new format be 60x60 like some of the other sites,if so I'll put the krautboy on a diet

Krautboy

02-27-02, 11:46 PM (EST)
8. "A question"
Just wondering how crucial the voting on the Lobby page is, in addition to our little vote thread here each week. Half the time, I kick myself for forgetting to go there, and it's rare for anyone to remind us to do it--but it has happened. And if it IS important to Webby, how feasible is it to include that vote in the left margin with all the other links, for the absent-minded among us? (Either the actual vote thingie, or just a conspicuous link to the page.) Might even inspire more participation, if it appears on every page in every forum, yes?

GT

02-27-02, 11:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: A question"
GT, do you mean the poll on the home page? If so there is a link to that on every page of the entire site -- the SB logo itself links to the home page.

-SB

02-28-02, 02:29 AM (EST)
10. "RE: A question"
Yep, I'm afraid that's the one I mean. My point is that I suspect I'm not the only one to suffer from tunnelvision and forgetting to go there--many of us bookmark the forums we frequent, and space off the rest. . . It just seems like the total votes cast there are never anywhere near as high as SB's registered users, and since you go to the trouble to include a clever little script to tally something every week, it ought to get noticed more. When you decide what the official SB call for the week is, I'm assuming you're weighing the results there, on the Spoilers vote thread, and your own gut, right?

Not trying to complicate your life, just speaking up for my fellow airheads who might not even realize there IS a poll. And sometimes when you don't shake things up a bit, it gets easy to stop noticing all the little extras you've included here. . . I know I'm usually working on twelve different things on my desktop, and often don't see anything beyond changes to actual threads. . .

GT

Hi, everyone. I'm GT and I have ADD. . .

03-02-02, 02:41 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
LAST EDITED ON 03-02-02 AT 02:42 AM (EST)

Mind if I BUMP this topic? Since sleeeve was kind enough to outline these general rules, I've seen increasing numbers of new users posting redundant threads instead of taking the time to read through what's already here. . .

Not a good introduction, getting yourself a Clown smackdown or an abruptly locked thread and admonishment to think before you post. Besides, if you really have something important to say, best to do it where people are already thinking along the same lines and are in a good frame of mind to react thoughtfully to what you have to contribute!

GT
Och. . . what times are these, when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to helpless old women. . .

Edited cuz there were too many dogs in one place, even for me. . .

NorthOfBoston 158 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-04-02, 10:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NorthOfBoston Click to send private message to NorthOfBoston Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
LAST EDITED ON 03-04-02 AT 10:35 PM (EST)

in response to:

"Since sleeeve was kind enough to outline these general rules, I've seen increasing numbers of new users posting redundant threads instead of taking the time to read through what's already here. . .

Not a good introduction, getting yourself a Clown smackdown or an abruptly locked thread and admonishment to think before you post. Besides, if you really have something important to say, best to do it where people are already thinking along the same lines and are in a good frame of mind to react thoughtfully to what you have to contribute!"

I may not have 5000 desperate attention whore postings under my belt, George, but I have to say that when you so bitingly criticized me for MIS-posting a remark last week, I was a little taken aback. I hadn't been on-line since S3 ended, and with my horribly pathetic and slow server MSN, I didn't go searching through endless pages to see if the topic I wanted to comment on had already been posted. Perhaps I should have; however, your "Clown smackdown" wasn't particularly necessary. I was a devoted webcrawler on this site (though infrequent poster) during the last Survivor seasons, and now I feel like there's a Gestapo (sorry for the hyperbole)-like control over content. I'll stick to the other "non-spoiler" pages to post from now on, but I wanted to say that I do miss the open postings of S3.

I think control-freak MB has finally tapped into your brain.

ps: (edited after realizing that I am taking this whole thing WAY too personally) Actually, I think I am more upset since I have seen some posters on this forum get bashed for expressing a few harmless comments here and there that do not squarely fit into the round holes of spoiler-dome. I liked the comments by RoseRed last season, for instance, and I read a flat "Clown smackdown" to one of her comments this season; I haven't seen much of her on the forum since. Personally, I'm just not a "Survivor Fanatic" kind of poster since I'm more interested in speculation over admiration, so I suppose there's really no good fit for where I should post if I do. Ah well, so be it.

03-04-02, 11:20 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
North... 1) Rose was a guy from NYC, 2) the problem with much of Rose's posting in the spoiler forum was that it certainly wasn't spoilers, and it wasn't even valid, well-thought out speculation.

The majority of it was pure stream-of-conscienceness, posted-without-a-second-thought "diarrhea of the mouth" babbling -- something that I'm not saying doesn't have a place on this site (*cough* *cough* Off-topic *cough* *cough* ), but that place isn't on the spoilers forum.

...and when you make a habit of making stuff like that the primary content of your reputed "spoiler" postings, of course your going to be flamed -- this is a place for spoilers and serious speculation, not for flippant and whimsical comments (or worse, the claims of "known facts" based on completely preposterous assumptions.)

This spoiler community has always had a "no-nonsense, high quality" reputation (just ask around) -- and I personally am interested in keeping it that way. Do we maybe hold the bar higher than some other places -- absolutely, and I don't see the problem with that, I wouldn't have it any other way.

-SB

PS I hope all the OT folks realize I was joking above...

03-05-02, 01:32 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
>North... 1) Rose was a guy
>from NYC,

(Gasp!) ... Does this mean ... that George is a woman from Florida!!!

hehehe!

Without dwelling much on the RoseRed situation, that was a case of someone who kept trying and trying but who always took things personally, who made it personal. The situation continuously disintigrated because RR wasn't able to understand that it was the posts themselves, not his person, which were what were drawing the reactions. And, frankly, he was lucky shakes the clown never got around to really flaming one of his posts, especially since he never would have understood that it was the post that was the issue.

>The majority of it was pure
>stream-of-conscienceness, posted-without-a-second-thought "diarrhea of the
>mouth" babbling -- something that
>I'm not saying doesn't have
>a place on this site
>(*cough* *cough* Off-topic *cough* *cough*
>), but that place isn't
>on the spoilers forum.
>
>PS I hope all the OT
>folks realize I was joking
>above...

That was supposed to be a joke? Hey, we're proud of our babbling on OT!

SMILES ARE FREE

03-05-02, 02:13 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
North. . . I worked quite hard to word my post thoughtfully, and I don't see anything that any of half a dozen newbies responsible for it should find offensive. Please read it again. . . Is ". . . if you really have something important to say, best to do it where people are already thinking along the same lines and are in a good frame of mind to react thoughtfully to what you have to contribute!" REALLY such a slap in the face?

Yes, I will readily admit to being quite anal--what I always liked about this place is the fact that from the beginning it has distinguished itself as a forum for SERIOUS discussion. I LIKE having rules, I like it when everyone abides by them without issue. Relevant discussions are normally maintained at/near the top of the first page, unlike other boards, where it's more important for people to see their names--resulting in an avalanche of disjointed posts, and the occasional pithy thought being lost on page four in a matter of hours. The fact that Neatness Counts here should not be a major stumbling block, unless one also has trouble dealing with the real world. Yes, there is a fine line between maintaining that order and keeping a welcome mat out to new posters, but I think it weeds out some necessary chaff. (FYI--there are longtime SB posters who STILL choose only to read this forum! And I agree--if your interest lies more within the less-than-substantive "ROFL" or pat on the back comments, then OT or Fanatics IS probably more your speed.)

As for being part of shakes' smackdown patrol? Nope--I was simply trying to avoid the necessity for him to step in and REALLY offend you all. Believe me--when he flames you, you won't have to wonder who it's directed at or if you should take offense. Apparently I missed the mark in my attempt to clue people in--next time I see someone's missing the party, I'll just leave them talking nonsense to themselves in the bathroom. When you find yourself all alone on page two, you know it won't be for my lack of trying to save you the embarrassment.

Nice to give us a reason to keep bumping sleeeve's post to the top, though--now if we could only get everyone to READ his original post and take it to heart!

Move along, people--nothing to see here. . . BACK TO SPOILING!

GT

(dabo--you're cracking me up here. . . )

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings

03-02-02, 02:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."

>SB has traditionally been a community
>with minimal flaming

.....are you challenging me E boy? Cause I can make this place burn with the fury of a thousand jihads if I so choose

03-02-02, 02:51 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
>.....are you challenging me E boy? Cause I can make this place burn with the fury of a thousand jihads if I so choose

As some of our Canadians folks might say, you think so, eh?

-SB

Alpengeist 76 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-12-02, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Alpengeist Click to send private message to Alpengeist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
Shakes, I figured you could make a few hundred fatwahs, not just jihads!

Alp

03-11-02, 04:38 PM (EST)
27. "Reminder TO READ the Guidelines..."
Wish there was a way to bump the original post by its lonesome--or that there could be a way to keep it permanently at the top of the list, to serve as a beacon of sanity. . .

Am I the only one getting frustrated that topics are getting so spread out and continually pushed down the page by new posts? PLEEEZE--if you have something to say about something that someone brought up a while ago, SEARCH for the thread and ADD to it! That way, no one has to repeat an answer they already gave, no one has to duplicate vid caps that Bungler has already posted, and important observations won't get lost in the shuffle! Seems like if we're getting much over a dozen topics a week in this forum, something is amiss. . .

I realize that some of this is due to growing pains, but if seeing your name up there in lights is your main objective, take it to the OT or Fanatics, as Webby so eloquently stated above. A lot of these don't even need a response--they're just here to help in the final assessment!

*sigh*
GT

Who--contrary to what the horrific DAW numbers may indicate--makes a concerted effort to post ONLY when she has something to add (especially in this forum)

volmel 362 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-11-02, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volmel Click to send private message to volmel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Reminder TO READ the Guidelines..."
Amen GT. I've been here since S2 started and I still consider myself a newbie. It used to be that you would break into the group with just one or two words in a few posts. Everything was neat, organized and you could really get some spoiling material. It's why I switched here from some of the other too busy boards. I felt this one was more elite and more thought was put into it.

And back then, we were all flamed. I remember posting something little about Tina in the wrong forum, and man, I got it from Webby . But you know what? I survived and I was careful to THINK before I posted. If I don't have anything to add to the thread, then I just keep my mouth shut.

But I like it that way. I think Blows is taken more seriously if a lot of control is put on it. And I would just love thinking that Mark Burnett is afraid of us and our spoiling abilities. So I hope we can all get back to the way we were and think before we type.

ADKer 143 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-11-02, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ADKer Click to send private message to ADKer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Reminder TO READ the Guidelines..."
The spoilers who are really, really into it sometimes get carried away with their own logic, read way too much into events or comments and loose sight of what was actually shown on tv. You will have a more balanced discussion, and I believe better spoiling, if you can exhibit tolerance towards the posts of those of us who only spend a few hours a week instead of hours every day analyzing and researching Survivor.

On the other hand, I believe that the board was too soft on some of the contestants in S3 who behaved like jerks. I don't like to see things like the posts, before S4 began, that one contestant must be a jerk and a bully because of where he lives and what he does for a living.

These are my thoughts but I realize that it isn't my board. I appreciate the efforts of those who make the board available and will try to abide by their rules.

03-11-02, 08:53 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Reminder TO READ the Guidelines..."
You're right, ADKer! I hope I didn't come off as discouraging ALL contributions--it's just that there seems to be a tendency for a lot of new posters to jump in whole hog, without scoping out the situation first. . . (how times have changed from when WE were timid newbies, eh mel?) A lot of that seems to indicate wanting to become part of the community instantaneously--which is better done in the other forums, where people are free to let their hair down and get silly.

I cannot argue that some of us get tunnelvision here, and new blood can often give fresh perspectives! It's way too easy to get lost in that Catch-22, where we're not certain if we're spoiling Burn-it or he's spoiling us. . .

(And this place was designed to be inclusive--I think you'll find it WILL feel like "your" board soon, if all your posts are as well-considered as this one.)

GT

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

03-12-02, 00:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Threaded community"
I would like to add something to maybe help new posters feel more comfortable yet also understand why it's not helpful to the community to start a new thread every time you have a question or theory. Maybe it won't help, but I mean well.

I started posting here around the merge of S2; I think I only started one or two new threads the whole season and only because I had a topic that wasn't covered. Yet I was an active spoiler. I contributed by adding my ideas to existing conversations, and people were very nice to me.

Meanwhile I noticed that people who started new threads once a day got flamed. Be treated nicely or be flamed--wasn't a hard choice for me to make.

In S3 I think I started maybe 3 threads the whole season. I started some pre-season threads for S4, but I think I've started only one during the season (nothing major, posted the contents of Tricia's chat as it was happening).

Why not start em at will? Because I like having the topics few and organized. That way I load the page and see all the important topics without having to scroll. Like: The bootee, the RC, the IC, the promo vidcaps, the written preview spec, all the interviews by any one player, real spoilers (if any), a good media article, and of course the SOTS. Krautboy had a Hindsight thread last season I really liked too. Now right there you have enough topics to fill a screen, and that's without alliance speculation or rules speculation.

I am a serious spoiler but I do not spoil Survivor for hours a day. I don't have time. That's why I want to open up the board and see conversations on the various distinct areas of spoiling, and NOT see multiple threads speculating on the same thing where people have to say--"as I already posted on another thread"...

Similarly, when I walk in a grocery store I think it's really nice to have produce, dairy, beer (very important) separated into sections! Can you imagine how much time it would take to shop if everything were just strewn at random around the store?

The principle we ask for here is efficiency (and also respect of others' opinions and to think before you post). It's not a snob thing: a new person's opinion is no less valuable than someone with high DAW#s (and most of us HUGE Daws got our high numbers in other forums, believe me).

On the other hand, when I arrived, I recognized that this board had some top spoilers who tended to start topics with very organized, well-presented arguments, and I felt more comfortable responding to those people than starting my own rather half-assed threads...

A year and some 1700 Daws later, I still feel that unless I want to take the time to really work up a presentation, or unless I have a breaking topic, I refrain from pushing the POST button.

IMHO, there's no glory in seeing your name on the screen to the righthand side of a topic. There's glory in getting it right and in contributing to a good thread in a well-reasoned fashion.

Please folks, let's keep it organized. Plus you won't get people all grumpy at you...

Remember, the REPLY button is your friend; the POST button can get you scorched!
OK, happy spoiling ALL!

volmel 362 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-12-02, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail volmel Click to send private message to volmel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Threaded community"
Yeah, what OFG said

I'm ashamed to say I've only started one thread here and one on Bashers. It's just that everyone covers things so much more brilliantly than I can. (OK, I admit it, I'm the Tom Buchanan of these boards). You know, it wouldn't bother me a bit if just the mods were able to start threads. Or if you had to ask permission to start a thread. I post on other boards where this is the situation and it works out quite well and everything is neat and tidy. Of course, it might mean too much work for them and there may be too many topics needing to get started very quickly for that to work. I guess I just miss the good old days.

03-14-02, 05:15 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
bump

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-02, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "bump."
cause it's time

adjunkie 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-01-02, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail adjunkie Click to send private message to adjunkie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Reminder about Guidelines..."
I just hate when this falls off of page one. I hope nobody minds a little bump.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •