The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"And the times are......."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Blueville 115 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-22-01, 00:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Blueville Click to send private message to Blueville Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"And the times are......."
Let's see if this is right:

>We don't know the time but F/M seem to arrive at Pai Plong >beach just minutes behind the Lawyers. While they are all still >on the beach, we see the lawyers declare "Bill and Joe are >leaving right now!"

>Bill and Joe depart at 6:31pm.

>Next day...

>Kevin and Drew at kayaking place at 8:00am.

>Presumably Lawyers and F/M were already making their way to >China at 6:30am!!

That's right AmazingFan, IF this is a 12 hour pit stop. We've seen now that the layover times are manipulated. And this was a particularly rigorous journey. They may give the teams longer than 12 hours to recover/prepare.

All the same, the lawyers and Frankarita are, I'm guessing, 20 to 25 hours ahead of the Festers and Guido. It appears that the Festers arrive somwhere around mid-day or early afternoon, and I think the Guidos are further behind than the editing showed, about 4 to 5 hours.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: And the times are....... AmazingFan 11-22-01 1
 RE: And the times are....... Painterly 11-22-01 2
 RE: And the times are....... Canadian_eh 11-22-01 3
   RE: And the times are....... pttravis 11-22-01 4
       RE: And the times are....... Ruthless 11-22-01 5
           RE: And the times are....... Loree 11-22-01 6
           RE: And the times are....... Wild Dogs Bite 11-24-01 7
           RE: And the times are....... sittem 11-26-01 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AmazingFan 121 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-22-01, 00:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AmazingFan Click to send private message to AmazingFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: And the times are......."
LAST EDITED ON 11-22-01 AT 00:37 AM (EST)

I agree, that's about how far they are behind F/M and Lawyers.

Another poster identified the destination - the Forbidden City in Beijing. I can see it taking F/M and Lawyers all day to reach Beijing, or at least they'll arrive too late to get into attraction, etc... this could provide a bunching opportunity.

Festers and Guido should get out on an earlier flight the following day.... the deciding factor in whether or not they will catch up to F/M and Lawyers may be whether they can arrive in Beijing early enough to start doing the detours and roadblocks there. If so, they could start to close the gap.

If not, it looks like the 3rd place finisher would remain a day behind the two leaders.

I wonder whether, once they get to the final three, they will announce that the race essentially "starts over" - i.e. that they will all start at the same time and race to the finish...

====================================

I guess I should repost my "times" post in this thread:

I just skipped through my tape - here are the times I could see:

Lawyers depart 10:12am

F/M depart 11:06am

Lawyers get to Raile Beach at 11:40am (where they begin rock climbing)

F/M at Raile Beach at 11:53am

F/M are making their way to the rock climbing place at 12:45pm...Lawyers are at the top of the cliff....when they rappel down F/M are just arriving at the bottom.

Lawyers arrive at Ao Nang (where they get a taxi to go to Ao Luk, where the kayaks are) at 1:47pm.

F/M arrive at Ao Nang at 2:11pm.

Lawyers arrive at Ao Luk at 2:56pm.

Kevin and Drew depart at 3:03pm

F/M arrive at Ao Luk at 3:18pm

Kevin and Drew arrive at Raile Beach at 3:53pm

When Kevin and Drew are at the top of the rock climb they say it is 4:45pm - the place they need to get to in Ao Luk is only open until 5pm

Lawyers arrive at Chicken Island for snorkling/diving at 5:31pm.

Kevin and Drew arrive back at Raile beach at 5:35pm. They are two hours away from Ao Luk.

F/M arrive at Chicken Island at 5:47pm. They pass the Lawyers who are on their way to to Pai Plong beach to check in. The Lawyers are having trouble with their boat.

We don't know the time but F/M seem to arrive at Pai Plong beach just minutes behind the Lawyers. While they are all still on the beach, we see the lawyers declare "Bill and Joe are leaving right now!"

Bill and Joe depart at 6:31pm.

Guido gets to Raile Beach at 7:57pm. The rock climbing place is closed until 8am the next morning. They check into a hotel.

Kevin& Drew arrive at Ao Nang at 8:10pm (it's dark and rainy).

Kevin & Drew get to Ao Luk at 9:30pm. The kayaking place is closed until 8am the next morning.

Next day...

Kevin and Drew at kayaking place at 8:00am.

Presumably Lawyers and F/M were already making their way to China at 6:30am!!

We don't see any other times. The Guidos do the rock climbing, both Festers and Guidos do kayaking and diving. It's edited so that we see the Festers arriving at Pai Plong Beach as the Guidos are diving (but this could be unreliable time-wise). Both Festers and Guidos arrive in daylight.

Based on the Lawyers and F/M times, I'd estimate the Guidos get to Pai Plong at about 2:30-3pm (taking about 6.5-7 hours to do climbing,kayaking, diving). The Festers *should* have gotten there at about 11-11:30am, but I suspect they lost some time somewhere...

Looks like both Festers and Guidos have a good chance of being on the same flight out of Thailand the following morning! (and of remaining a full day behind F/M and the Lawyers when they get to China)

Painterly 27 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-22-01, 07:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Painterly Click to send private message to Painterly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: And the times are......."
The Festers left 3:28 minutes ahead of the Guidos (3:03 vs 6:31 PM) and Phil told the Guidos when they arrived at the beach pit stop that they had gained some time. The editing made it seem close but I suspect it is a gap of several hours.

Canadian_eh 32 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-22-01, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Canadian_eh Click to send private message to Canadian_eh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: And the times are......."
I agree on the time difference... it's huge.

So was the pit-stop 12 hours? Did the leaders already leave by the time that the Festers and Guidos arrived? Did you guys notice if the leaders were on the beach when the Guidos arrived?

I think AmazingFan may be on to something with the mustering point on the next leg. The leaders will get to Beijing just after the sites close, allowing the other teams to close the gap a little. Festers and Guidos will still be a few hours behind and the race for final spot will be between them. But it'll make for a better start to the final leg (part 1).

Which leads me to the next point... I can't see them starting the race over for the last leg. The time differences will stand. But as I said above, a mustering point will narrow the gap.

pttravis 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-22-01, 08:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pttravis Click to send private message to pttravis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: And the times are......."
Just for fun:
We know that they are heading to Beijing(for reference - that was Peking if you have a really old map)to the Forbidden City.
From Bangkok to Beijing flights are limited
2 direct flights and some connecting schedules:
Flights from Bangkok to Beijing
Thai Airlines:
Depart Bangkok: 11:05am (bangkok time)
Arrive Beijing 4:30pm (Beijing time) 4 hr 25min flying time

Air China Intl flight 980
1:40am
Depart Bangkok: 1:40am (bangkok time)
Arrive Beijing 6:55am (Beijing time)

Cathay Pacific flight 750
Depart Bangkok: 11:35am (bangkok time)
Arrive Hong Kong 3:20pm (Beijing time)
Depart Hong Kong 5:15pm
Arrive Beijing 8:10pm

Or connect via Shanghai
Depart about 2:30am
Arriving eventually at 11:50am in Beijing

Ruthless 281 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-22-01, 10:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ruthless Click to send private message to Ruthless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: And the times are......."
How long would it take to get from the Pit Stop back to Bangkok? Assuming they arrive at the Pit Stop at around 6.30 pm (just as Guido are leaving the previous one if R&B's comments are anything to go by), they would then leave at 6.30 am.

And from the comments in the preview of next week it is assumed Rob and Brennan just miss a flight - so which flight did they just miss? It apparently cost them a lot of time.

If they just missed the 11.05 am, they may have been able to make the 11.35 am flight, but that depends on how long it takes to get tickets, through customs etc. So assume they missed those two flights. They would then have to wait until 1.00 am the next morning - 14 hours - for the next flight. This would allow Festers and Guido to make up a lot of time on them, if they manage to catch one of the 11.00 am flights they may then only be 10 hours behind, as opposed to 24.

Still a big time difference. And the impression from the next week show previews is that R&B and F&M are well in the lead, with the Festers and Guido fighting it out to avoid elimination.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-22-01, 11:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: And the times are......."
There would have to be a HUGE mistake made by either the lawyers or Frank & Marg to be eliminated next week. It should be between the Guidos and the Festers. And it should be the Guidos who lose. Their luck has to run out.

Wild Dogs Bite 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-24-01, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wild%20Dogs%20Bite Click to send private message to Wild%20Dogs%20Bite Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: And the times are......."
I am going to assume for the sake of argument that the pit stop is 12 hours and the next leg leads to Beijing.

The current pit stop is at Pai Plong Beach. According to the CBS web site, the beach can only be reached by boat at high tide. "This little, beautiful beach is tucked away between mountains and is only reachable by boat during high tide, during slack low tide you might walk around the rock-formations and a cliff in the sea." Figure that RB and FM got to the beach around 6:30PM they can leave at 6:30AM the next day. Tides would be about the same and they should be able to boat off to Ao NAng Harbor and catch a cab.

Again, according to CBS, it is 109 miles from Krabi to the nearest airport at Phuket. You can catch domestic flights from Phuket to Bangkok. They leave about every 2 hours and take about 1 1/2 hour. Interestingly, you can also get to Singapore from Phuket (see below) So where does that leave us?

Figure at least 1 hour from Pai Plong Beach to Ao Nang and another 2 hours to the airport. So RB and FM can't get to Bangkok much before 10AM. There is a 10:10 flight from Phuket to Bangkok arriving at 11:35 which is still to late to catch any of the morning flights to Beijing. I couldn't find any afternoon flights so no matter what they are stuck until 1:40AM for the non stop which arrives in Beijing at 6:55 AM. They aren't any better off going from Phuket to Singapore as the best connection they could get leaves Phuket at 6:35 PM gets to SIN at 9:20 and the connection to Beijing leaves at 1:15 AM arriving Beijing at 7:15 AM. Looks like RB and FM should arrive easily in Beijing early the next morning after leaving Pai Plong ready for whatever they have prepared for them in the Forbidden City.

How about the Festers and Guidos. I think that the Festers arrived at Pai Plong around 12:00AM with the Guidos getting there around 3:00. (RB and FM are already flying to Beijing) So both the Festers and Guidos should be able to get to Phuket early the next morning (RB and FM arrive in Beijing at the same time). It is more difficult to predict the times because of the tide thing and the question of available car transportation early in the morning. There is a flight from Phuket to Bangkok at 8:40 arriving at 10:05 where you might (very tight connection) get on the 11:05 flight to Beijing. If you miss that you are stuck until the 1:40 AM flight and no matter what they can't arrive in Beijing until after 4:30 so if there is a task requiring doing something during somebody's open hours they are easily stuck until the next day.

Now back to Phuket to Singapore. There is a flight from Phuket to SIN leaving at 10:15 AM arriving SIN at 12:55P and a 1:25P flight from SIN to Beijing arriving at 10:40 PM. Again, it doesn't really help if you need to be there in the daytime.

OK, that's the long story. I think you can get from this two thing.
1. RB and FM are ahead of the Festers and Guidos by at least 24 hours in Beijing and there is no way that they can make up any of that time as in previous episodes while the other teams are awaiting transportation. There is a definite separation here and it is significant!
2. Both the Festers and Guidos are basically in a tie because of the transportation issues. They will be leaving Phuket together unless one decides to go to Bangkok and the other to Singapore.

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-26-01, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: And the times are......."
Good postings overall in this thread. I pretty much agree with the observations. Festers and Guido will definitely be at a big disadvantage leaving 18 or more hours after Lawyers and FM. Whether that disadvantage will shrink or grow with the travels doesn't really matter. We'll have another show like last weeks where there are essentially two races - one for first and one for third. It's anybody's guess who'll come in last, but I think I know who most people are favoring for the honor. Unfortunately, wishing for it doesn't make it happen. If the race at the end for third has anything to do with making wise decisions I've gotta give the nod to the Guidos.

Whatever happens, I'm 99% certain that the final three in the race will begin even when the second to last show begins. My reasoning is that it might not even matter who is in third if the lead is lengthening at this point. While there are many thousands of miles yet to go, a 24-36 hour difference between first and third means it's not a race anymore and interest falls. They've gotta start 'em all even to make it most interesting for the final leg. I do think they will honor the advantage gained in the second to last show and it will carry over. However, there'll probably be some travel equalizers built in like in the past which will make the final leg interesting to the end.

ANYONE BUT GUIDO!!!!!!!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •