The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-03-05, 11:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
We've got dialup here at the house at the moment, which means we can only get on the net at times we are sure that nobody will be calling us. And it is SO slow, even at 50K.

I live in a small town in Central Texas, so my options on high speed internet service are pretty limited. The best deal on DSL by a company that does business here is the $14.95 for Yahoo/SBC DSL.

Anyone have any experiences with it? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly here. I know I can count on this community of diverse experts to have some expertise that can help me decide what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? dabo 10-04-05 1
   RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? wandacal 10-04-05 3
       RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? Spanky68 10-04-05 8
 RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? flipxcyd 10-04-05 2
 RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? lvoetulips 10-04-05 4
   RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? brvnkrz 10-04-05 5
       RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? dragonflies 10-04-05 6
   RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? HobbsofMI 10-04-05 7
       Pro vs standard SBC/DSL Spanky68 10-04-05 9
 RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? Sunny_Bunny 10-04-05 10
 I'm envious! RudyRules 10-04-05 11
 RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? blacknwhitedog 10-04-05 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 02:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
I feel for ya, Spanky! If it is the best you can get, I say go for it. I had a Yahoo dealio many years ago, which turned into a penny-pinching time-eating nightmare, but that was many years ago, and their upgrades eventually killed it entirely. Hopefully they have their act together much better by now.

Just remember: There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

SMILES ARE FREE

wandacal 4018 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-04-05, 02:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail wandacal Click to send private message to wandacal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
Just remember: There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I just found out.
Apparently, it's a "LOST" thing that went over my head.

Just wanted to *SMOOCH* Spanky!
I've missed you!

10-04-05, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "

The feeling is completely mutual, Wanda. Keep the faith, doll!

flipxcyd 1060 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-04-05, 02:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail flipxcyd Click to send private message to flipxcyd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
HI. I've only been with SBC/Yahoo for only 1 month, so I really can't say much other than that my connection is fast! I can watch videos and download music in less than a minute. I can listen to live streaming music and surf the internet quicker.

The deal I'm on is at $14.95 a month for 12 months. My upfront costs were for the modem package (about $50) and shipping (about $13). I also get a $50 rebate that can be used after using the service for 60 days making the modem package free.

Installation was very easy. It gives you a CD-rom that gives you step by step (animated too) instructions.

The one problem I had was concerning the DSL modem itself. When I had a power outage and tried to re-connect, it kept giving me error messages. I followed the directions, and it still didn't work. Finally, I tried switching connections with the filters, and it finally worked. I'm guessing it finally worked because I made a guess at it. Sorry, but I don't remember what I did! LOL Anyway, it works now.

Other than that, I did ask around about SBC Yahoo. I have 3 coworkers and a friend who are happy with their service.

lvoetulips 1025 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-04-05, 08:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lvoetulips Click to send private message to lvoetulips Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
This is my 2nd year contract w/ SBC DSL. I really have had minimal problems! I just upgraded and got the spyware/antivirus/pop up stuff too, and it's soooo much easier to deal with then buying seperate programs every year....

Go for it! The only surprise I had is that it is only 14.95 for the first year, then it goes to 24.95 (but you get the upgrade free.).

blog, blog, blog

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 08:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
I've been with SBC for about two years too and have had very little problems with it. I am paying the $24.95/month too.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
not much to add, since SBC is not available in my area, I had to get cable. It is nice and fast.

Just wanted to tell Knockers her siggie totally creeps me out.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
I too have SBC/Yahoo at home and have had very little problems. Paid $16.95 for the first year and then they were offering 1.5/764 for $12.95 or Pro 3K/1.5K for $14.95 when my contract was up in July for new customer only but I called and said I was going to Comcast. They gave me Pro for a year at the $14.95 price. Pro has lost the connection about once a week....turn the modem on then off if it happens when I'm there...wait a min....back up....or it fixes itself if I'm not there at times.

Always call....right now I've got Direct TV and Dish Network battling to my TV service.....I'm waiting on my HDTV before I settle on one or the other but DTV, which I have, is winning.

sig by PM and bouncy by IceCat

10-04-05, 12:17 PM (EST)
9. "Pro vs standard SBC/DSL"
so did you have the standard service before the pro? and if so, was there a great difference in the speed and/or reliabilty?

Some of their voluminous and confusing literature hinted that without pro, there would be no space for webhosting. Any expertise there?

Thanks again for all the help, Hobbes and everyone else.

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
Hey Spanky-

The other alternative is to look into a cable connection through your cable company. We got into a good deal/promotion that was good for about 6 months. After that, if you dont want to pony up the regular cost, try yahoo.

Good Luck!

RudyRules 8360 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RudyRules Click to send private message to RudyRules Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "I'm envious!"
We've got dialup here at the house at the moment, which means we can only get on the net at times we are sure that nobody will be calling us. And it is SO slow, even at 50K.

50K? Wow, I never get more than 38.6 TOPS!

I live in a small town in Central Texas, so my options on high speed internet service are pretty limited. The best deal on DSL by a company that does business here is the $14.95 for Yahoo/SBC DSL.

Cable, dsl, any kind of broadband except satellite are not available to me. GO for it!
I so wish I had it available.
Satellite is VERY expensive and, with its .7 secod delay, makes on-line gaming (which I enjoy) even worse than the miserable experience that is dial up.

Your defending two time college football pool champion

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Yahoo/SBC DSL? Thoughts? "
We like the SBC/Yahoo DSL quite a bit- even though it was $26.95 when we signed up. Some of our neighbors have cable DSL and it is out a lot.

One thing about DSL speed. It all depends on how far you live from the central phone switch. If you are more than about 5 miles away you will have slower connection speeds. We live about 8 miles from the switch and we didn't notice any improvement between the regular DSL and the high speed DSL. But it's WAY better than dial up.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •