The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Penelope Le Pew 2031 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

09-30-05, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to send private message to Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Thanksgiving coming up!!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-05 AT 07:35 PM (EST)

My family will come to my house for Thanksgiving dinner. They will bring desserts and drinks.

I had cooked a turkey 12 years ago with ex MIL. I remember that the frozen turkey must be thawed for a couple of days and it was frozen that day. EX MIL had to run cool water on it for hours.

Now, I am terrified to cook the turkey in a couple of weeks after 12 years. I admit that I do not remember how to cook turkey. I could not bear to see the body of chicken or turkey. I would rather a chicken/turkey breast to cook. I usually have Pepe to cut up the roasted chicken for dinner sometimes but I want to do it myself this time.

Would you please help me out? Maybe you have a wonderful recipe for Thanksgiving?

Happy Thanksgiving!

ETA: Changed sig - Brand new Halloween sig!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! CutsyTootsy 09-30-05 1
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Penelope Le Pew 09-30-05 3
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! dragonflies 09-30-05 2
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Penelope Le Pew 09-30-05 5
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! dragonflies 09-30-05 9
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! txmomma26 09-30-05 4
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Penelope Le Pew 09-30-05 6
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! samboohoo 09-30-05 7
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Penelope Le Pew 09-30-05 8
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Megacanuck 09-30-05 21
           RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Silvergirl1 09-30-05 27
               RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! PepeLePew13 09-30-05 30
                   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Megacanuck 10-01-05 36
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Puffy 09-30-05 10
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! lvoetulips 09-30-05 11
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! ceedee 09-30-05 12
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! dragonflies 09-30-05 20
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! ceedee 09-30-05 31
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Maroonclown 09-30-05 13
   Gravy volsfan 09-30-05 32
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! foonermints 09-30-05 14
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Penelope Le Pew 09-30-05 15
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! foonermints 09-30-05 16
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! MTW1961 09-30-05 17
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Red_Dobie 09-30-05 18
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! HistoryDetective 09-30-05 19
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Megacanuck 09-30-05 22
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Penelope Le Pew 09-30-05 23
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Silvergirl1 10-02-05 39
   Provigo... northernlights 09-30-05 24
       Geez, you live in the sticks Coconut 09-30-05 33
           Not for long hopefully... northernlights 10-03-05 42
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! MTW1961 09-30-05 25
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Red_Dobie 09-30-05 26
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Maroonclown 09-30-05 28
           RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Penelope Le Pew 09-30-05 29
               RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Maroonclown 10-04-05 43
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Snidget 09-30-05 34
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! strid333 09-30-05 35
   RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! PepeLePew13 10-01-05 37
       RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! dabo 10-02-05 38
           RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! PepeLePew13 10-02-05 40
               RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! dabo 10-02-05 41
 RE: Thanksgiving coming up!! Sunny_Bunny 10-04-05 44

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CutsyTootsy 1795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

09-30-05, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
sits down next to Pene to wait for recipes.

Good for you and your pre-planning! I made my first Thanksgiving dinner two years ago when my mom had surgery so I took over that year. I do a pretty traditional Thanksgiving but I don't cook my dressing in the turkey (for some reason that kind of grosses me out.) I would love an interesting dressing/stuffing this year.

arkiegrl's ghoulishly talented!

09-30-05, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to send private message to Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
I don't cook my dressing in the turkey (for some reason that kind of grosses me out.)

Yes, me too.. I hate this dressing inside the turkey! Eeww!!

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-30-05, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-05 AT 10:18 AM (EST)

Turkey breasts are great, if everyone loves white meat.

I have been cooking a turkey for over 17 years. I use a Reynolds Oven Bag. You add some flour, celery, onions, seasonings with the turkey. It only takes about 3 hours depending on the size of the bird. Prolly 1/2 the time compared to conventional method. I don't stuff it, since that opens the door for bacteria.

I take the turkey out of the freezer on Monday and stick it in a cooler or the frig.

I've never deep fried one, but that is a really popular way to do it around here.

eta: stuffing, I use stove top as a base, and add mushrooms, water chesnuts, celery. easy, but tasty

09-30-05, 10:21 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Ok, take out the turkey out of the freezer, for how long to thaw? I dont know about the size as I have to go and buy the big turkey.

I will get a stuffing box to cook.

09-30-05, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
I've read that it takes about 1 day for every 4 pounds of turkey, to thaw in the refrigerator. Don't want to thaw it on the counter. But a cooler is a decent compromise, it keeps the turkey a bit cooler.

txmomma26 5825 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail txmomma26 Click to send private message to txmomma26 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-05 AT 10:21 AM (EST)

I've always bought the turkey and kept it frozen until a day or so before I cook. Then I let it sit in cool water for about 18 hours in the sink.

I pull all the ookey gookey innards out and throw them away. Fill with stuffing, cover the turkey in seasonings - I tend to use oregano, dill, thyme, garlic salt, and pepper. Then I take a few slices of onion, a couple potatoes and a couple of carrots. Throw it all in a turkey basting bag and chunk it in the oven where it cooks.

ETA: Celery. I forgot about celery. Or you can use celery salt.

09-30-05, 10:23 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
I pull all the ookey gookey innards out and throw them away.

Oh yes, I remember that. It is gross. I will have Pepe do that.

eeeew!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-05 AT 10:25 AM (EST)

Pretty similar to the momma here. Only I use a fresh turkey. And I fill it with onions, carrots and celery. I haven't cooked a turkey in a few years because BIL has decided it's his job. And while I'm normally the one who likes to do it all, I appreciate the help since the little one has arrived.

Thanksgiving dinner is one of my favorites.

ETA: I'm not posting from work today, so I'm away from my calendar. Is Thanksgiving earlier up there than it is down here?

09-30-05, 10:28 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Yeah, I love Thanksgiving dinner especially turkey. I eat turkey sandwiches the next day! Oh delicious..

I have asked my brother to bake some pies as he is very good at it. I suck in making a pastry dough for pies. They shrink. He mentioned to use rice on pastry to cook before filling fruits or whatever you put it in.

Megacanuck 120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-30-05, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Megacanuck Click to send private message to Megacanuck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
>ETA: I'm not posting from work today, so I'm away from my
>calendar. Is Thanksgiving earlier up there than it is down
>here?

Yes, our Thanksgiving is on Monday, October 10th this year.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"

Yes, our Thanksgiving is on Monday, October 10th this year.

I think I'll cook a turkey in honour of Canadian Thanksgiving Day. What's the history behind your Thanksgiving Day?

Handcrafted by RollDdice 2005

Love, love, love turkey! Swim with me

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Thanksgiving was started by Martin Frobisher in what is now Newfoundland, Canada in the year 1578, 43 years before the Pilgrims set up the first Thanksgiving in what is now the United States.

The USA was first to officially recognize Thanksgiving as a national holiday, but the traditions are pretty much the same in both nations with Canada having theirs first because of the more northern climate and earlier harvest season. The USA tends to have a bigger production of things with a longer weekend and Friday being the 'official start' of the Christmas shopping season thrown into the mix.

Oh and about the turkey... it seems that Pene forgot that I cooked turkey one time for us (usually we're over at my folks place, but not this year) a few years ago, and I've done it about 5 or 6 times altogether, so I'm practically a pro at cooking turkey!

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

10-01-05, 00:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Megacanuck Click to send private message to Megacanuck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
What Pepe said! Sorry I didn't reply earlier - I was booted out of the system, and just thought I'd try getting back on again once more before bed.

>Thanksgiving was started by Martin Frobisher in what is now >Newfoundland, Canada in the year 1578, 43 years before the
>Pilgrims set up the first Thanksgiving in what is now the
>United States.
>
>The USA was first to officially recognize Thanksgiving as a
>national holiday, but the traditions are pretty much the same
>in both nations with Canada having theirs first because of the
>more northern climate and earlier harvest season. The USA
>tends to have a bigger production of things with a
>longer weekend and Friday being the 'official start' of the
>Christmas shopping season thrown into the mix.

Puffy 6702 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-05 AT 12:18 PM (EST)

Mr. Puffy looks in a cookbook and thaws it for however long it says, usually 4 days in the fridge, I think. Then Mr. Puffy cleans it, inside and out. Then he brushes the turkey with butter, I think, and he puts celery and carrots and onions inside of it. Then he stuffs little pieces of garlic in the skin. Finally he puts it in one of those big plastic bags. I think Reynolds makes those big bags. There are directions on the box that the bag comes in regarding cooking time. There is no mess and the turkey is nice and juicy because it's been in the bag the whole time. You might also find directions and recipes on the internet. Good luck!

A RollDdice Halloween®Original

ETA: The bag goes in the oven to cook, of course!

lvoetulips 1025 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-30-05, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lvoetulips Click to send private message to lvoetulips Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
With regards to turkey: If you can find a farm- buy one fresh. No thawing involved, and no added stuff.

My favorite TG recipe using butternut squash and vanilla wafers:

BUTTERNUT SQUASH CASSEROLE:

1 lg. or 2 med. butternut squash
1 c. white sugar
1.5 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch salt
2 T flour
3 eggs
1/4 c. margarine (1/2 stick)

Topping:
16 oz. Vanilla wafers, crushed
1/2 c. margarine, melted
1 c. brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Put whole squash in microwave for 4-6 minutes until it is soft. Cut in 1/2, scoop out seeds and cube. Bring to boil in water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash. (I prefer to whip with my stand mixer, it comes out fluffier when you add the rest)
3. Add white sugar, milk, vanilla, flour, eggs, and 1/4 c. magarine to squash and place in 9x13 baking dish.
4. Bake for 45 min.
5. In bowl, combine cookie crumbs, 1/2 c. magarine, and brown sugar. Crumble over top of squash mixture and return to oven to get brown.

NOTE: This is so good, it's almost dessert. I doubled the recipe last year (2 9x13 pans worth), and still had NO leftovers.

Enjoy!

I started one too!

ceedee 183 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ceedee Click to send private message to ceedee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Don't scare yourself! I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner because it's one of the easier dinners to cook. Here are all my secrets:

1. Go to www.foodnetwork.com, look under Party Ideas - then choose Holidays, then Thanksgiving from the sidebar. On the Thanksgiving page, scroll down to the bottom to find the Turkey Calculator - this helps you figure out how big a bird to buy and how long it will take to cook, so you can start planning accordingly. There are links to other tips as well -all good!

Unless you have a small family, I'd go with a full bird - as different people like different parts/white vs dark meat etc. and it may be harder to accommodate everyone if you go with pieces only.

2. Buy Look bags (or Reynolds bags - are probably the same). If you cook the turkey in a bag, it reduces cooking time, and it keeps the bird moist - so you never end up with a dry bird, even if you overcook it. The bags dramatically reduce the risk! The cooking times using a bag are noted on the packaging, but it's typically about 30 minutes to an hour less for a medium-large bird.

3. Thawing - the foodnetwork says: Thawing a frozen turkey requires patience. The safest method is to thaw turkey in the refrigerator. Be sure to plan ahead, though. It takes approximately 3 days for a 20 pound turkey to defrost.

I've thawed various ways - in a cooler for large ones as I didn't have the fridge space, is my most common method. .

Other tips:

I like to be super organized when cooking for a larger number of people - so I'll cook the potatoes in the morning, mash them with some cream, butter and add a little sour cream or cream cheese. I make them a bit runny as they firm up later - I put them in a large oven safe serving dish (corning ware) and then when the turkey comes out, I pop them in the oven for 30 mins (while turkey sits, and you carve), so they are ready at the same time.

Vegetable - I usually cook these in a crockpot (i.e. carrots and brown sugar glaze, or thaw frozen peas in a microwave corning ware dish - then I just have to heat them for 10 mins or before pulling them out and serving them.

Green Salad - I make early in the afternoon - and make the dressing in a separate jar - again, I just have to pull it out, add dressing and toss and it's done.

Gravy – I use a package mix as a base – make it early – then I use the juice from the bird (very easy if using a Look Bag as you can cut a corner and just pour the juices into the pan. By adding the juices and a little more flour/corn starch or Brown & Serve mix, it tastes like home made, but you have enough and it's less riskly than making it from scratch.

The reason I like cooking this type of dinner - so much of it can be done in advance - so you can have time to sit down, and relax before any guests arrive.

09-30-05, 01:56 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Are you my twin?

sexy siggie by arkie
Also, I usually cook it longer than the bags say, cause DH likes to make sure it is done done done. You would think after 17 years he would realize it is...

ceedee 183 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ceedee Click to send private message to ceedee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
We may be - but I believe our DH's must be closely related as well- that's why I like the bags - it's still moist even though it was in for an extra 30-40 mins "to be safe."

When I'm BBQ'ing chicken breasts, he gets the overdone and dry one - which is just the way he likes it "to be safe"

Maroonclown 5829 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Couple of things here Pene,

I keep the bag-o-goodies (neck, kidneys, liver, heart, etc). Take them out of the bag and put them in a small pot with enough water to cover. Slowly simmer throughout the day. The broth makes a great base for your gravy.

Smear olive oil all over the bird and sprinkle sea salt all over - makes for good crispy skin. 20 minutes per pound at 325. Tent with foil for the first 3/4 of cooking, untent and baste, baste, baste. Perfect birdie every time.

Or, and I've never done this myself, buy the turkey breast and BBQ on a rotisserie. I've eaten it this way. Yummy, Yummy.

Slice and Dice Chop Shop 2005

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 06:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "Gravy"
Pene, I can't really give you any more advice than has already been given. I cooked my first whole turkey (I used to just cook the breast) last year and I put my seasonings (onion, garlic and any type of dry herb you like) into the turkey and covered with foil. It was great.

The gravy thing is the easy and really good part of the meal (in my opinion). As MC posted above put all the "extras" in covered in water and let simmer. When you are about ready to eat (like the last 2 mins) pour a cup of the broth from the "extras" into a heavy pot on medium/high heat on the stove. Get one cup of cold water and stir 1 tablespoon of floor into the cold water until completely smooth. Pour the cold water mixture in the broth and let simmer until the gravy is as thick or thin as you like. I did this last year and everyone raved about the gravy.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"

BrineThe little deevil. It's great! I've been cooking turkeys for umm.. 30 years? maybe a little more. suddenly, I feel old

Hey - what happened to Halloween?

09-30-05, 01:13 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Thanks for the website.

For some reason, the pic reminds me of Wheezy. Where is she?!

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
They are squirrlies. *smooch* Time to buy Pumpkins?

what are you looking at?

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-30-05, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Penny, I've got to agree with foonermints that brining the turkey is the way to go. It's really a lot easier than it sounds too. You will be amazed how moist the turkey is.

Here is another recipe that I use a lot. It produces a VERY tasty turkey and the drippings make an incredibly savory gravy.

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/Roast_Turkey.htm

One more thing that will hopefully lift your confidence: It is a little known fact that there is no earthly way to screw up a Thanksgiving turkey.

First of all, you're basically just putting the thing in the oven. Any other attention you lavish upon it - basting, tenting with foil, etc., is just to make you feel good about yourself. It has relatively little impact on the turkey, which truly can't be screwed up.

Second, your guests presumably arrive long before dinner. You will be feeding them appetizers and they will be drinking various adult beverages, right? By the time the turkey actually gets to the table, they will be STUFFED and DRUNK! Nobody is even going to remember the turkey by 9pm.

Been cooking turkeys almost as long as foonermints!

Red_Dobie 731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-30-05, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Red_Dobie Click to send private message to Red_Dobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Don't stress, Pene! I know it's going to turn out beautifully.

I saw this on the Food Network several years ago and I've been making turkey this way since.

After you prep and season your turkey (however you want), place it in a roasting pan.
Add one can of Chicken Broth to the pan(not over the turkey, you'll just wash off your seasonings).
Cover tightly with a lid or foil.
Remove foil for last half-hour of cooking.

That's it. I don't baste the turkey at all, yet it comes out very moist. Plus the broth and turkey juices left in the pan make excellent gravy. Just skim off the fat before adding to your roux.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
I would just buy a fully cooked turkey from Heavenly Ham. Is there a location near you?

courtesy of Seana and Syren - thanks gals!
journal

09-30-05, 02:11 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Madame Le Pew:

I'm assuming you're in Quebec? I always went to the local charcuterie and bought a fresh turkey, and they would give me a very easy to follow recipe with it (en francais ou anglais). Most of the time I went to Atwater Market in Montreal, but Provigo always has nice fresh ones as well.

The recipe itself is usually just put an onion, some carrots, and some garlic in the turkey, brush oil over the top, then salt & pepper over it. The important part of the recipe was that they gave you the cooking times for the type and size of turkey you were buying, which is very convenient.

Remember to have a glass of wine with you at all times!

09-30-05, 02:16 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
I dont recall to see any cooked turkey at the grocery store??? Maybe I did not pay attention until now.

Pepe and I are in southern Ontario.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-05, 03:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"

If you buy a smoked turkey, it comes fully cooked, kind of like a ham. The flavoring is similar to ham, also. It can be heated up or served cold. Down here they sell them at Sam's Club for about $13 for a 12 pound smoked turkey.

Handcrafted by RollDdice 2005

Swim with me

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "Provigo..."
...is where you shop when you live in my one horse/one grocery store town.

Pene ~ I don't have my little newspaper clipping collection with me here at work but usually around Christmas or Thanksgiving there will be an article about how to cook a turkey. I've clipped them out of the paper and use them as a reference when thawing the turkey. Don't worry too much. I used to drive myself crazy worrying over cooking a turkey dinner. Now it's one of my favorite big meals to cook for a crowd.

Couple of my best suggestions.

1. Buy a meat thermometer and stop cooking the turkey when it says it is done. Stick the thermometer into the breast without hitting any bones for an accurate reading. For many years my Mom had me overcooking the turkey for fear of poisoning my guests. The white meat ended up being so dried out that it was awful. Now with a thermometer the guess work is gone and the turkey is nice and juicy.

2. Invest in a turkey lifter so that you can easily remove it from the roast pan to get the juices for making gravy.

3. If you don't use Bisto to darken up the gravy, a 1/2 tsp or so of instant coffee will darken it without changing the flavor. I was hesitant about that at first because I HATE coffee. Just make sure it's instant. I tried it with fresh ground coffee beans last weekend and all I ended up with was coffee grinds in my gravy.

4. If you're making turnips as a vegetable (it's a favorite in my family) boil them, mash them and add in some brown sugar, butter, salt and pepper. Do this the day before so all you have to do on the day of the dinner is throw it in the microwave to reheat them. They taste every bit as good this way if not better because the brown sugar flavors the turnip nicely.

5. I prefer an electric knife for carving the turkey. If you don't have one you could probably pick one up cheap at a garage sale. It's the only time I ever use mine (which was a wedding present and is now 27 years old) but it is worth it's weight in gold on turkey nights.

6. IMO dressing has to be done in the turkey. I add celery, onion, chopped up apple, grated carrot and poultry seasoning to the dried bread. I normally buy day old buns on the reduced shelf to make stuffing. Either that or there is a new product I've used that is a loaf of bread that is unsliced and it is baked with the seasonings in it. All you do is chop it up and stuff the turkey with it.

I'll be cooking a turkey for my family on Thanksgiving weekend too. You won't be alone.

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 08:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "Geez, you live in the sticks"
We don't even have a Provigo anymore. We have the modern Maxi and IGA.

*big smooch to the lights*

Oh, and I saw the first moose head of the season yesterday. It made me think of you.

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-05, 08:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "Not for long hopefully..."
...the for sale sign is going up this weekend.

*blows a smooch in an easterly direction*

Got a call from my friends that left for their moose camp on Thursday night. Seems they got their moose on Saturday morning at 7:30am. They were a happy bunch. Now they've got a whole week to relax and drink.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-30-05, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
You know, it's not a bad idea to do a practice turkey the week before. The upside is you can also practice making the gravy, and the gravy will keep for a week, so you can use it for Thanksgiving also. One can never have too much gravy.

In my family, we always have a large get-together for Thanksgiving, and no matter where it's held, I'm responsible for the gravy. Last year, I roasted a turkey at home the weekend before Thankssgiving and pre-made the gravy. It was a necessity since I knew one of the turkeys was going to be deep fried and, therefore, void of drippings for gravy. It worked quite well. I was also able to make turkey stock with the carcass to use in the gravy on Thanksgiving day.

Handcrafted by RollDDice!

Red_Dobie 731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-30-05, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Red_Dobie Click to send private message to Red_Dobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
You know, it's not a bad idea to do a practice turkey the week before.

I think that's an excellent idea. And any leftover, cooked turkey can be frozen for later use.

09-30-05, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Turkey works so well frozen. We slice 'er up for sammiches and when it thaws its just like fresh.

I like cream turkey in pastry cups too. Mmmmmmmmmmm

09-30-05, 03:32 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Oh, I'm drooling... Do you have recipe for this cream turkey in pastry cups?

I would buy ready-made pastry cups.

10-04-05, 09:01 AM (EST)
43. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
I've PM'd you on this but just in case anyone else is interested.

As promised, here's the recipe. It's really good and its hard to stop at just one pastry cup. In a pinch I've also used bread pressed in muffin tins and lightly toasted them.

1/2 cup warm water
1/2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
2 oz. sliced small button mushrooms
4 tbl butter (margarine)
1/4 cp flour
1 tsp. dried thyme (or 1 tbl fresh)
1 1/4 cp milk (I use skim)
2 cps diced turkey (or chicken)
1/2 cp frozen peas - thawed (optional in case they explode in your mouth - corn would work too)
3/4 sour cream (I use fat free)
S & P

Pour hot water over porcinis and sit for 20 minutes. Drain, reserve liquid, and chop mushrooms coarsely.

In med saucepan, melt 1 tbl butter. Add buttons and porcini, saute 3 - 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms

Melt the rest of the butter over moderate heat. Add flour and thyme and cook for about 5 minutes (roux).

Add mushroom liquid to milk to make 1 1/2 cups and slowly pour into pan, whisking constantly until thickened.

Add turkey, mushrooms and peas to the mix. Cook for 5 minutes

Stir in sour cream (I add a few tbls. of the hot mixture to the cold sour cream in a measuring cup in order to get the sour cream warm before adding to the hot sauce pan. Stops it from curdeling). Mix well - DO NOT BOIL.

Serve in toast cups, puff pastry shells or baked potatoe shells.

Serves four. Prep time 30 minutes - cook time 30 minutes

It looks like a lot of work but its really easy once you have everything lined up.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 10:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
One way to avoid the just how many years does it have to be in the fridge before it finally thaws thing is buy a fresh turkey.

They cost a bit more, but I found that I think it tastes better and I love not dealing with the thawing thing.

I brine the turkey. Make up a solution with apple cider and a bit of salt (you can add some apple cider vinegar to tenderize I've got the whole brine recipe around here somewhere but those were the main things) and soak it in that for awhile before you roast it and it will be a whole lot juicier and will brown up really nice. Usually to get them brown you have to over cook the bird (many restaraunts will cook the bird until it is done and then blow torch it to get it brown)

Let it sit 15 minutes before carving.

Hope this helps.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-30-05, 10:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
It sure is. Therefore, Walmart has to set up its Christmas display (next to the Halloween stuff, of course). That shocked me yesterday.

I can't wait for turkey. Mmmmmmmmm turkey.

Three is the perfect number.

10-01-05, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Mmmmmmmm tryptophan.

*snore*

Scratch and sniff

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-05, 03:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Fresh turkey is better, and wild turkeys are bestest. But a frozen turkey can be thawed in the refrigerator and remain in the refrigerator for a few days afterwards before it is cooked. It takes about three days to unthaw most turkeys in a refrigerator, allow another day if it is a very large turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving!

10-02-05, 10:02 AM (EST)
40. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
>wild turkeys are bestest.

Dang, you're right! They're the best...

That reminds me of a turkey cooking joke I got in email some time ago:

20 Easy Steps to Cook a Turkey

1. Go and buy a turkey.
2. Take a drink of bourbon.
3. Put turkey in the oven.
4. Take another two drinks of bourbon.
5. Set the degree at 180 ovens.
6. Take three more bourbons of drink.
7. Turn oven the on.
8. Take four bourbs of drinky.
9. Turk the bastey.
10. Whisky another bottle of get.
11. Stick a turkey in the thermometer.
12. Glass yourself a pour of bourbon.
13. Bake the bourbon for four hours.
14. Take the oven out of the turkey.
15. Take the oven out of the turkey.
16. Floor the turkey up off the pick.
17. Turk the carvey.
18. Get yourself another scottle of botch.
19. Tet the sable and pour yourself a glass of turkey.
20. Bless the saying, pass and eat out.

Scratch and sniff

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-05, 11:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
If you really wanted to weird out your company you might serve them one of these:

http://www.unclejohns.com/cajunmarket/abes/entrees.htm#Turduckens

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Thanksgiving coming up!!"
Hi Sweetie-

I came in late to this discussion, and you are getting great advice, but I thought I would toss my two cents worth in anyway.

If you want to just cook up a breast, go ahead. I think most stores have turkey parts (drumsticks, etc.) available in small packages now, eliminating the two legs, 4 people who prefer legs argument at the table. Just put the spare parts in the pan with the breast, and cook them all together.

If you decide to do the whole bird, take all those "gooey, gross innards" and boil them up. After they are cooked, cut them up small and put them in the pan with the drippings when you make the gravy.

One word of advice: The first Thanksgiving dinner I ever prepared for Ra, everything was perfect except one thing. I was so nervous and excited (he was standing behind me while I was doing the last minute stuff) that I completely mucked up the gravy. ALWAYS have a can or package of turkey gravy on hand for back up.

Biggest advice I can give you... relax, enjoy, and if something goes wrong laugh at yourself and dont dwell on it.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •