The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Nigel's interviews"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-27-07, 08:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Nigel's interviews"
LAST EDITED ON 04-02-07 AT 11:17 AM (EST)

Each week Nigel Lythgoe or Ken Warwick give interviews about the AI and the contestants. This one is Nigel's--he discusses the ratings drop, the buzz on this year's talent...and what Taylor fans want to know: Taylor will be on AI this year. Yea! So here's a thread to collect the AI execs' interviews...

-----
http://www.etonline.com/tv/spotlight/47540/

Nigel Lythgoe Dishes 'Idol' Dirt

March 27, 2007

From Sanjaya Malakar to Jordin Sparks and last year's winner, Taylor Hicks, Nigel Lythgoe spills "Idol" secrets.

--------

As the Top 10 try to make their mark on tonight's episode of "American Idol," Executive Producer NIGEL LYTHGOE takes time out to answer questions about the hit talent competition.

ET: The ratings are down about 10 percent for the performance show, and the results show a little less. Some of the attrition has to do with the switch to daytime savings time. Are you concerned about the loss?

NIGEL LYTHGOE: Even if we lost 50 percent of our audience, we would still be in the top three shows in the country. I am not that worried. Everybody keeps telling me it has to do with daylight savings. Also, it affects the programs with , obviously. To be honest about it, people are saying that this is not our greatest year for talent. I don't necessarily agree with them. I think we have five or six of the best singers we have ever had. If it is a bad year for talent, we will find out over the next few weeks.

ET: Randy is always saying you shouldn't touch WHITNEY HOUSTON, or you shouldn't do this or that. Do you agree with it?

NIGEL: The great thing about this show is it is so subjective. The fun is in disagreeing with what people say. If I was a contestant and listening to everything that has been said over the past six seasons, I wouldn't know what to do from one week to the next. Because they tell you one week, "You're playing it safe." Then the next week, they say, "It is dangerous to do this." Then, "You have chosen the wrong song." It is a tough one. You just have to get out there and sing people's socks off. End of story.

ET: Have any of the contestants surprised you this year?

NIGEL: JORDIN continues to surprise me. I am watching her grow week-on-week from this 17-year-old that I saw a number of years ago when she auditioned for "American Juniors." I am watching a young lady come to fruition.

ET: What theme nights produce better shows? A restrictive theme, such as songs of DIANA ROSS, or this week's pop-music theme, when the Top 10 could sing just about anything?

NIGEL: This week, it couldn't really be anything, because it is artists that inspire GWEN STEFANI. Gwen has given us a list of artists, so it is pinned down a little bit. I think for the contestants, it is much better when the genre is open. British invasion turned out much better than we all dreamed, because a good song has the ability of changing and coming up to date. I love the older songs more because there is more melody there and a proper written song. So it has a verse, chorus and a bridge. It just makes it a little more interesting.

ET: Are there any genres you would love to see that you haven't?

NIGEL: I would love to do the EAGLES, the music of the BEATLES, and there are a number of songwriters -- the lyrics of HAL DAVID, CAROLE KING -- anything that gives the contestants really good melodic songs to sing and a wide choice. I hate pinning them down too much.

ET: "Saturday Night Live" had a bit where they were mocking SANJAYA this past weekend. Do you laugh at that? Do you have a thick or a thin skin when people take shots at the contestants and the show?

NIGEL: I don't need the thick skin. Sanjaya needs the thick skin. I am old school, so anytime my shows are talked about I am happy in whatever way it is discussed. I will always defend anything on my shows if I feel it is defensible. "SNL" has often had pot shots at us and we have always enjoyed it. Part of our humor here is making fun of ourselves, so it really doesn't worry me that anybody else makes fun of us.

ET: Is TAYLOR HICKS going to be on the show this season?

NIGEL: Of course. Taylor Hicks is our "Idol" this season.

ET: Do you like his album?

NIGEL: I haven't heard it, to be honest.

ET: Is that unusual? Have you heard all the other "Idol" albums?

NIGEL: No. KELLY CLARKSON's I heard. CARRIE UNDERWOOD's. I haven't heard FANTASIA's, RUBEN's or Taylor's. I haven't heard an awful lot of the other releases. It is not my type of music, to be frank with you. I like more middle-of-the-road stuff. When they leave us, they go to different genres. I like country, which is why I played Carrie. I wanted to see where Kelly was going because she was our first Idol. I have very little time to listen to outside music. I am constantly listening to the music that we are doing that week, and trying to get everything downloaded to give the kids as wide a choice as I can.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 03-27-07 1
   RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 03-27-07 2
 RE: Nigel's interviews emydi 03-27-07 3
   RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 03-27-07 4
       RE: Nigel's interviews emydi 03-27-07 5
 RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 04-02-07 6
 RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 04-03-07 7
 RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 04-04-07 8
 RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 04-05-07 9
 Michael Orland interview zazzy 04-10-07 10
   RE: Michael Orland interview zazzy 04-10-07 11
 RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 05-05-07 12
 RE: Nigel's interviews zazzy 05-14-07 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

03-27-07, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
Here is another AI interview--from last week (after the British Invasion night with the top 11) with Ken Warwick, an AI producer.

Chuck Ross from TV Week magazine interviews producer Ken Warwick this week. They discuss last night’s performances.

Ken was pleased with last night’s show. He said, “Great music, great melodies, good stuff.” He thought Peter Noone and Lulu did a great job with the contestants. He said they were passionate, sensible and intelligent.

Lulu and Peter Noone will be performing tonight.

Ken says that with the big charity event and everything else taking up so much time, the songwriting contest has been put on the back burner. But it may still happen, but is up in the air.

Gwen Stefani will be next week’s special guest.

Contestant rundown:

Haley - She’s had a bit of a tough time, but this week she found her own niche. He thought she was great.

Chris R - He liked Chris’s version of the song.

Stephanie - Ken thought she did a good job of it, considering she did not know the song. Ken mentioned that she’s had throat problems and has been a bit under the weather lately.

Blake - Ken likes the song. Thought Blake “sort of brought it up–made it modern.” He thought Blake did a good job of it.
LaKisha - He thought she did a great job. He didn’t agree with Simon who said it was “old fashioned.”

Phil - Ken thinks the tune is a “good country rock song.” He thought it was pretty good, but agrees with Simon–that Phil does not have that rock edge to his voice. Ken thinks it may or may not become a problem. Ken says it’s tough when he remembers the originals so well.

Jordin - Ken thought she was fabulous. He thinks she is going to do very well in this competition. Ken feels her performances seem effortless.

Sanjaya - Ken says, “It was manic, bless him. He just went for it. If you are going to do something like that, you have to go for it. It caused a stir in the audience.”

Gina - Ken says that Gina did not know the original Stones version very well. She knew another version by someone else. He says she should have based her arrangement on the original–the one folks would recognize.

Chris S - Ken thinks he has a very good voice. Ken loves the song.

Melinda - Ken says, “It’s a great song–it was made for her. She’s a great pro.”

03-27-07, 08:51 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
Note the comments in those 2 interviews about Jordin:

NIGEL: JORDIN continues to surprise me. I am watching her grow week-on-week from this 17-year-old that I saw a number of years ago when she auditioned for "American Juniors." I am watching a young lady come to fruition.

Ken: Jordin - Ken thought she was fabulous. He thinks she is going to do very well in this competition. Ken feels her performances seem effortless.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-27-07, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
LAST EDITED ON 03-27-07 AT 01:11 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-27-07 AT 01:10 PM (EST)

NIGEL: I don't need the thick skin. Sanjaya needs the thick skin. I am old school, so anytime my shows are talked about I am happy in whatever way it is discussed. I will always defend anything on my shows if I feel it is defensible. "SNL" has often had pot shots at us and we have always enjoyed it. Part of our humor here is making fun of ourselves, so it really doesn't worry me that anybody else makes fun of us.

hilarious skit esp when they showed Dan Akroyd crying...I love Adam Sandberg...he did (^&) in a box with Timberlake

ETA: I also love Nigel...he is great on SYTYCD

03-27-07, 01:39 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
LOL! (---- in a box) was hilarious! Did you see the youtube of it when JT was in concert and Andy joined him?

Also love the Bee Gees show impersonation by JT and Jimmy Fallon.

I am not a big JT fan but when he is on SNL I enjoy him.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-27-07, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
I just did! HA!

Timberlake is hilarious on SNL...Peyton was surprisingly good too on Sat...the United way "commercial" was HILARIOUS! I knew they'd do Sanjaya sooner or later...wonder if they'll do Melinda with her um er neck...but K Thomson is the only black regular cast member...ha!

04-02-07, 11:28 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
Ken Warwick is interviewed this week on TVWeek:

http://www.tvweek.com/docs/docs/Idol_BLT_3_29.mp3

Some comments from Ken:

Sanjaya dress rehearsal song rumor was "absolute rubbish".

Chris S.'s never finding rhythm: "slightly "dickey" rhythm"; "he couldn't find it all week".

Sanjaya's hair: "he keeps people talking"

Vote mechanics: Said he finds out about 2am after Hawaii votes; said they call into the (voting) center (Telescope). Said they get the whole line up of how the votes came out.

On how many votes don't get through: on a national grid there is no congestion in voting; only congestion is on local levels.

People from south doing well on idol: He attributes it to more church singing and developing muscle control from that (breathing, vocals).

Upcoming guest: Tony Bennett --"been around forever" (lol) and nobody better placed to mentor the kids this week than Tony on the standards.

Charity show: Gwen will be on it; press call on it in a couple of days and it will be huge; would not give more details in this interview.

Gwen: "a bit retro" performance made modern

04-03-07, 06:12 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
LAST EDITED ON 04-03-07 AT 06:18 PM (EST)

New Ken Warwick interview--note the comments on voting:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/idolchatter/2007/04/idols_warwick_o.html#more

Ken Warwick interview in USAToday today:

'Idol''s Warwick on Sanjaya, phone scams, and malevolent websites by Ken Barnes

Idol exec producer Ken Warwick staged a conference call with reporters today, commenting on topics including Sanjaya (he doesn't think Mr. Malakar will win), Chris Sligh (he disputes Sligh's account of the "original song" issue), websites attempting to influence the vote ("no impact") and conspiracy theories about dialing scams ("rubbish"). Here's LuzElena Avitia's report:

Sanjaya, the next American Idol? Executive producer Ken Warwick doesn’t think so, telling reporters on Tuesday, “America normally get it right in the end. I’m pretty confident Sanjaya will not be the American Idol this year.”

But he does recognize that, “If he makes it to the end, its because the American public want to see more of him and that’s what its about.”

And no need to worry AI fans, should Sanjaya beat the odds to become the winner, Simon Cowell will be staying put (despite threats to resign if it happens), as he’s contractually obligated to remain with the show.

In regard to all the hoopla about the Howard Stern/Votefortheworst.com effect, Warwick claims there is no impact on the 40 million votes received weekly by any radio show host or internet site. “There is very little at this point that can affect any of the votes that would actually change the actual positions of anybody.”

But what about sneaky Internet modems rigged to hijack the phone lines and vote hundreds of times for one contestant? “There’s never ever been a situation where by any technical advantage” helped a contestant, he says. “All this rubbish is just not true.”

How can he possibly know this is true? Warwick revealed, “There’s an apparatus in place immediately to trace any single call out of the 30-40 million we get (64 in the final), trace it back, and if any number comes back as an anomaly they are pointed out to Telescope (the company that manages the voting process) and they take the appropriate action. But it’s never ever been used.”

More material, including candid comments on certain Idols, follows.

Warwick also refuted the claim contestant Chris Sligh made about not being able to sing his own original song. “We just advised him against, we did not tell him he couldn’t do it. We just said, 'Chris, it’s not a good idea people do not respond and relate to songs they’ve never heard before.' ”

And, finally, here’s his take on some of the Idols:

SANJAYA: “Say what you like about Sanjaya, he’s not actually got a bad voice. And he changes things up week on week, always a talking point the next day, he changes hair, he’s a good-looking kid and young girls love good-looking kids…Business is communication with your audience. And he’s certainly got that.”

HALEY: “I think she’s a good-looking kid, I think she’s got a very good voice; I think she was given a really bad rap by Simon earlier. If you want my opinion, I think she still deserves to be there…She’s quite a shy girl, that’s the problem. She’s not one that’s in your face all the time, but she’s a lovely kid. I love her and she looks great on stage and she’s got a great voice, I don’t care what Simon Says. I’d love to see more of her legs anytime.”

CHRIS SLIGH: “I was never aware that he came to producers asking to be dropped out of the competition. I think he’s stirring up interest in himself. And I wish him the best of luck. He’s got a good voice.”

LAKISHA: “No one can say with LaKisha she’s the greatest, most dynamic performer that ever lived, but Aretha Franklin got there by standing there and letting forth with that voice. You can’t knock the girl for that. She’s doing extremely well. She’s got an absolutely magnificent voice.”

04-04-07, 07:40 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
MJ's Big Blog posted the latest Nigel Interview:

This week’s TV Week backlot talk interview with American Idol producers. This morning, Chuck Ross spoke with Nigel Lythgoe.

Blake - “I didn’t think Blake bit it well enough for me…I thought he sang it very well and sustained the notes, but that one, you really bite the notes …it’s quite a nasty song about the underworld.”

Phil - “Tony thought he was a great crooner, he sounded like the old…Jack Joneses and this sort of thing.”

Melinda - “She did a great job…Tony Bennett said…, ‘you know what, you sing that song just how the composer wanted you to do it…you did the verse, you did the main tune of it and then you brought it to a climax’…it was absolutely right.”

Chris - “I thought this was a good performance from him. I didn’t think it was his best–the judges thought it was his best…he’s learning every week. He and Blake are really good singers.”

Jordin - “Both Ken…and myself talk about the journey of American Idol and the growth that these kids go through, and she really is enjoying this journey and growing every week.”

Gina - “I’m a Nat King Cole fan, I prefer Nat King Cole’s version …it was a strange one for me, because she didn’t look like she was going to sing “Smile”…she looked like she was going to sing a French rock song…she had these sort of fishnet tights on and the split skirt…it reminded me very much of the French resistance…only she wasn’t carrying a machine gun.”

Sanjaya - “I thought he sang it reasonably well, actually…well Tony actually says he sings in tune, and he did, that’s a plus there. But I think the big thing for me and it was Randy said, he’s turning into an entertainer, and that’s absolutely true. And also Tony says, ‘he dares to be different’ and there he was wandering around in Al Pacino’s suit from Scarface. I do understand why people vote for him.”

The interviewer, Chuck Ross, says that although Taylor Hicks was VFTW’s candidate last year, he was a very deserving winner. He goes on to say that he would be very surprised if Sanjaya wins. Nigel says “It would be a shock.”

Then, Nigel elaborates on the concept of winning, “What do you mean by winning? Taylor won the competition, but the one selling the albums at the moment is Daughtry. So what is the “win” at the end of the day? I think Sanjaya is going to win in this, in the sense that he is gonna have a very interesting career.” Nigel adds, “Chris was my favorite last year…I was surprised at the same time I was also delighted that Katharine and Taylor were in the finale.”

Haley - “I think Haley comes into her own with those little cheeky songs…I think she is a really good performer…a little highschool…

And then the mp3 cuts off. Fire the intern! Hopefully, they find the mistake and upload a new podcast…

--------

And the pimping of Jordin continues...she is THE growth story for them this year: "the journey of American Idol and the growth that these kids go through, and she really is enjoying this journey and growing every week.”

04-05-07, 04:17 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
Here's a interview with Ryan where he unabashedly comes out for Jordin:

(hey AI, pimp much? lol)

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=192450

(snip)

American Idol” host Ryan Seacrest believes tone-deaf crooner Sanjaya Malakar will eventually get the boot from the uber-popular talent contest and that Jordin Sparks will be the next “Idol” crowned.

“Everywhere I go, people have been screaming at me to get rid of Sanjaya,” Seacrest told People. “And I say, ‘Too bad, you’re doing it.’ ”

The fluffy-haired Malakar, 17, has benefitted from a campaign - flogged by shock jock Howard Stern - to compromise the hit show by electing the least-talented contestant. But Seacrest says he has faith that the show’s fans will ultimately overcome Malakar’s votefortheworst.com mojo and send him packing.

“America hones in and gets rid of who needs to go and the best usually stay,” he said. And in his opinion, the best is the 17-year-old Sparks.

“She represents fantastic qualities,” the host gushed. “She’s a great singer and a pretty girl. She’s non-threatening, cute and attractive. Plus, she has this sincere likeability that is rare and genuine.”

(snip)

04-10-07, 08:19 AM (EST)
10. "Michael Orland interview"
Interesting article from Entertainment Weekly with the AI piano man, Michael Orland:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20007164_20008533_20034173,00.html

Here is just part of the interview:

---------

Are there ever moments when someone just can't seem to find a song?

Everyone has a struggle with different themes for different reasons. A lot of them will be great for country week . But sometimes you struggle because you've found five songs you like. I'll make the contestants sing through each one of them. We tell them to get on the phone with their mother, father, boyfriend, girlfriend, and ask them what to sing. And when somebody is really struggling, Ken and Nigel will sit there with their laptops and play song after song after song. That's what's so special about the show. They are so hands on from the top down.

Don't you ever want to say ''Nooo! Don't sing that!''

Of course. A contestant might pick a song and I'm cringing on the inside but you gotta let them do what they gotta do.

I wish someone had told Gina not to sing ''Smile'' this week because I think going all sentimental was what got the rocker girl voted out.

That is a gorgeous song. But remember the contestants come in and go, ''Oh my god. Do you know what the judges said to me last week?'' and ''Last week I did up tempo so this week I want to sit down.'' They second guess themselves and try to figure out what the judges or the audience wants to hear.

How do you cope with having to work with some singers who are so far superior to others?

That definitely happens every year. Bo Bice and Taylor and Chris Daughtry would come in every week and say, ''This is what I want to sing,'' and those are people that make it easy. They also had a great work ethic. That's what makes the difference between someone really good and really great. But yes, some people need more help than others. It makes it fun, actually.

How are you feeling about the judges' criticism this year? Harsher or pretty much right?

I'm shocked and appalled by some of the judges' criticism. Take Phil Stacey. I wish they had seen his dress rehearsal this week because it was better and Phil has a tendency to doubt that what he sings is enough so he keeps adding to it, but he has got such a great voice. Then they just started slamming him. You just never know what the judges are hearing and what they're in the mood for.

----------

04-10-07, 08:20 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Michael Orland interview"
P.S.: Love what he said about Taylor, Chris and Bo.

05-05-07, 02:06 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
LAST EDITED ON 05-05-07 AT 02:45 PM (EST)

I have not listened to Nigel's interviews on tvweek for awhile--this week's is up at tvweek.com.

A couple of things:

--said Simon Fuller had listened to about 500 of the songs for the contest and did not like even one of them.

--said that now they were down to the top six they were done with the dross or something like that. Classic AI producer stuff--insult those you picked and showcased, lol.

ETA: to fix spelling.

05-14-07, 05:41 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Nigel's interviews"
Here is an interview with Simon Fuller, who created and sold American Idol to CKX and earns $1.56 Million/year working on AI:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article1774308.ece

A snippet:

“It’s never about making money,” Mr Fuller insists, like many an entrepreneur. “All money does is act as a guide for how well you are doing.”

How much? Mr Fuller sold 19 to CKX, the vehicle of US talent mogul Robert Sillerman, for £83 million in 2005. Mr Sillerman is building up a larger version of 19, owning Elvis’s mansion Graceland and the image rights of Muhammed Ali, but 19 provides three quarters of CKX’s revenues ($151 million out of $210 million) and the bulk of operating profit ($28.8 million last year). Not bad, particularly as Mr Fuller, who is two years into a six-year contract, only earned $1.56 million as an employee.

Yet, the talent Svengali is sure he is not being exploited too. “Realising value is a smart thing to do” he says. “Otherwise you are forever pedalling away.” Mr Sillerman, he says, is teaching him “the financial world on a grand scale” and one day he will run his own business again. “At 46 you are not too old” – as long as you can keep manufacturing celebrities the public will buy.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •