The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-08-07, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Happy 2007 all -

As several of you regulars here know, I have this theory that the winner/finalists of AI will usually be those contestants that are "different", who dont fit into the mold that your average pop stars/recording artists/etc do. This could be style, this could be looks, this could be almost anything.

Obviously, they need the voice to make it to the finals, but I think America, in general, latches onto those WITH the talent, but those who probably wouldn't get a foot in the door because they do not fit the mold, although they have the talent. We haven't had any boy-band winnners, have we?

Key examples: Clay Aiken, Taylor Hicks, Bo Bice, the list goes on.

With this in mind, I find this quote from Simon quite important, and I will be watching for this contestant:

" one guy who stands out in the crowd and has what I call the likability factor," Cowell told Entertainment Weekly. "He's not what I would call the typical American Idol because he's different... but everyone liked him."

Taken from the following post, which has many more quotes.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/american-idol-judges-dish-about-upcoming-sixth-season-4509.php

geekboy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... batts 01-12-07 1
   RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... geekboy 01-12-07 2
       RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... nailbone 01-12-07 3
           RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... batts 01-12-07 4
               RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... geekboy 01-12-07 6
                   RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... batts 01-16-07 9
       RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... bystander 01-12-07 5
           RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... DarwinianAtheist 01-12-07 7
               RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... xwraith27 01-13-07 8
                   RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... hooked2reality 01-16-07 10
                       RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... dragonflies 01-17-07 11
                           RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... geg6 01-17-07 18
                               RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... bystander 01-17-07 21
                   RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... Ripley 02-07-07 24
                       RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... nailbone 02-08-07 25
                           RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... Ripley 02-08-07 26
                               RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... nailbone 02-08-07 27
                                   RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... Ripley 02-08-07 28
 RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... thecrossbowkid 01-17-07 12
   RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... zipperhead 01-17-07 13
   RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... geekboy 01-17-07 14
       RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... mistyrose52 01-17-07 15
           RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... Magnolia_Rocker 01-17-07 16
               RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... zipperhead 01-17-07 17
                   RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... nogwart 01-17-07 19
                       RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... geekboy 01-17-07 20
                       RE: Interesting pre-season Simon qu... Femme 01-17-07 22
 Guest judges - so-called fresh opin... BlueLies 01-20-07 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

batts 1731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-12-07, 05:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Interesting. I've kindof always favored the underdog in these seasons. Well, let me rephrase that. I favor the underdog that has a serious singing ability.

In that article, Paula said that the peeps watching, who enjoy the delusional people auditioning, should really like this season. Does that mean we have to go through more 'Crazy Dave' , and 'William Hung' torture?

01-12-07, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
I seem to be in they minority. I do not like the audition episodes, and the Hollywood rounds don't do much for me. My real enjoyment starts w/ the final 24.

geekboy

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-12-07, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
I like the auditions, both for the trainwrecks and the uncovered gems. OTOH, I find the Hollywood rounds kinda boring, but then get interested again with the final 24.

01-12-07, 10:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
I like the 'trainwrecks' to a point. I'm with ya on the Hollywood rounds. Then, by the time the final 24 compete, I'm working 16 hour days, and my summer 'reality fun' comes to an end.

Geekboy..... Happy 1000! Woo Hoooooooo!

01-12-07, 10:23 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Hey batts -

thanks for the 'heads-up'. I didn't even noticed until i read your post, then scratched my head thinking 'What the he#@ does "happy 1000" mean?!' Then i realize what you mean.

Wow. I have made 1000+ posts. Is this a good thing or a pathetic thing?

geekboy

01-16-07, 00:21 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
It's a good thing! I think... I hope...
Check your red wavy flag thingy.

look at this amazing arkie siggy!

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-12-07, 10:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
I seem to be in they minority. I do not like the audition episodes, and the Hollywood rounds don't do much for me.

If you're in the minority than I'm right there with you! I don't care for the auditions or the Hollywood rounds. I'd be happy just picking it up with the final 24 also. If you've ever seen Nashville Star on USA, they only start the show with the finalists and we're not subject to the pain of the crazies.

DarwinianAtheist 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-12-07, 11:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DarwinianAtheist Click to send private message to DarwinianAtheist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
I am liking the auditions less and less each season. I mean, I realize that this is TV and Fox is giving the audience what the public wants, but the auditions are just so over the top every time- it's just very fake. It's clear that many of these outrageous ppl know they are terrible, etc. What blows my mind is just how many ppl actually think they are good- when a deaf person could tell them they aren't. I myself am a singer ( amateur, local band/kareoke singer that is ) and I know my capabilities, but any given night you can go to a bar and see all kinds of knuckleheads who really think they are something special! But, my goodness those auditions are so BAD!!! I don't know what my point was...

xwraith27 1136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-13-07, 07:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail xwraith27 Click to send private message to xwraith27 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Same here, actually. I used to like the audition stage but got tired of it really quickly because 1.) I don't like to torture myself, and 2.) it's really quite pointless IMHO. Plus, it's quite obvious that some of those people actually know that they're bad singers and are most likely hoping to get some TV time.

OTOH, I'm into the Hollywood rounds because I like the group numbers, but I couldn't care less about the "reality" part of it.

hooked2reality 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-16-07, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail hooked2reality Click to send private message to hooked2reality Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the audition rounds are just for entertainment value, they put all the crazy, tone-deaf singers on, and some of the ones who go through to Hollywood...I'm sure there are a million mediocre singers who they fail to show, cos it would be just too boring for the viewers...
The final 24 is when it gets competitive and real because you know that those are real people with real talent...else they wouldnt be there...

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 08:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
I am another of the minority who would rather skip the train wreck episodes. Sad thing is I still watch them.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Yeah, I'm with you there, DF. I detest the auditions simply because of the train wrecks. I find it mean spirited and pandering to the lowest possible common denominator.

But I still watch because I've often picked out who I think might be finalists from these early rounds with some degree of accuracy (Clay, Reuben, Bo). I just read a book until I hear someone singing that might have an actual chance and ignore the screetching otherwise.

The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone. — Henrik Ibsen
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-17-07, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
The thing I really hate is when they do a whole background on one of the hopefuls and then you end up liking them and you want them to make it through to Hollywood. They lead you to believe they're gonna make it through, and then they get dashed by the pit bulls and leave in tears. Of course the cameras are in their faces as they have their breakdown on national TV.

Ripley 196 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-07-07, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ripley Click to send private message to Ripley Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
For those weirdo's that want their 15 minutes of fame ,I believe I saw some kind of new reality show where people try to be superheros.They get all dressed up in costumes and describe what powers they have.You'll probably see some of the same people that were on American Idol.Correct me if I'm wrong.

02-08-07, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
That was Sci-Fi's "So You Wanna Be A Superhero", and it turned out all of those people were actors, not so much "reality".

02-08-07, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ripley Click to send private message to Ripley Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Is it worth watching

02-08-07, 04:50 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Nope. It ended a few weeks ago, but it was pretty cheesy. I think you can still go to SciFi.com and see some of the stuff, though.

02-08-07, 06:19 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Thanks for saving me some time.I don't want to get perverted yet I'm curious of some of the sexy costumes the ladies wore.I had a big crush on Wonder Woman.

thecrossbowkid 40 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-17-07, 08:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail thecrossbowkid Click to send private message to thecrossbowkid Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
Absolutely. People vote not necessarily for the most talented or most attractive but the person who they most identify with personally; a regular guy type persona which mirrors the way they see themselves. This is why the untalented disaster George Bush was elected over the infinitely better qualified but elitist John Kerry. Bush's carefully cultivated (and fraudulent)hick image created a persona people could identify with.

This is why Taylor Hicks won. He is not some unapproachable pretty boy/girl superstar, but seems like a fun, regular guy you could have a few beers with, so he dominated the likeability factor and beat out the better and HOTTER McPhee.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-17-07, 09:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-07 AT 09:40 AM (EST)

For political discussions, please go to the Off-Topic Forum.

By the way, welcome to the RTVW Boards, crossbowkid!

01-17-07, 09:20 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-07 AT 09:21 AM (EST)

This is not the place for politics. Please refrain from bringing politics into any discussions here.

Also, i thought American Idol was a singing/performing competition? I didn't know it was a 'hotness' competition. I must have missed that memo.

geekboy

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-17-07, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
The trainwreck sessions are really starting to repeat themselves. I could have sworn I'd seen a few of these guys in a few episodes past.....but who knows. Maybe they start looking alike after a while??

In any case, once they're in Hollywood, the personalities start coming out, and you see who thinks they are too good to sing with the groups, who thinks they don't need to practice, etc. That's usually where MY interest starts tweeking.

As for last night, and tonight-it's pure entertainment, in a weird, sad, kind of way. I mean, do people in Seattle REALLY look like that??? Scary, man!

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-17-07, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
I can tell already that I am going to want to slap Simon tonight for picking on peeps that can't help how they look (the boy with the big eyes in the previews). Insult their singing, fine, insult their attire, fine, but lay off their personal defects. It's not amusing to me at all.

A Tribe Original!

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-17-07, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
My favorite all-time Simon quote? "Your smile bothers me." Anyone who can insult a person because of their smile is alright by me.

Although he can get pretty harsh, he is simply doing publicly what anyone else in the recording industry would do privately - evaluate the whole person. If they are not marketable enough, they're not going to be signed.

I'm not saying it is right, but it is what happens.

nogwart 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-17-07, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nogwart Click to send private message to nogwart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
This season is starting very painfully for me. Yes, the clueless contestants are funny for A LITTLE WHILE! In the first episode, however, it seemed as though they let them go on and on and on and ... I was yelling at the TV for someone to please stop them! The black girl who couldn't remember the words to the Prince song, the overweight woman who sang like the cowardly lion, the black dude who left momentarily to get a drink then CAME BACK to torture us some more, etc. Aargh! Is it just me, or in previous seasons did they always cut them off WAAAYYY earlier?

01-17-07, 01:21 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
No, its always been like this. some they cut off quickly, some they let go just out of simple amazement i think (and it makes good TV).

I think this first audition episode was more on the 'bad singer' side since they have been saying that Seattle was REALLY bad, and the episode demonstrated that.

But overall...i don't like these first few shows...but i still watch it all. Go figure.

geekboy

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-17-07, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Interesting pre-season Simon quote"
I'd disagree that it was par for the course because, like you Nogwart, I noticed a very significant tempo shift from last night's episode and previous seasons. I don't think even William Hung got as much original screentime as some of those kids got last night. It was really poor pacing, and distinctly different.

I hope that tonight's is a little tighter editing. I really can't justify watching 4 hours in two days, and so such painfully long segments make me regret not just saying no.

Femme

BlueLies 398 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-20-07, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BlueLies Click to send private message to BlueLies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Guest judges - so-called fresh opinion?"
I think the only reason they are bringing in "guest judges" is to try and reaffirm what S/R/P do is substantiated in order to avoid all of the negative publicity they probably forecasted for themselves before airing. Thing is, judging most of the contestants is a no-brainer, so they can't really defend themselves by constantly (basically) repeating what has already been said.

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •