The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Random thoughts (long)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-16-01, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Random thoughts (long)"
1. I was wondering why Team Guido didn't take a flight to Krabi. I actually did some research into this - Thai Airways has a daily flight from Bangkok to Krabi. It runs in the late afternoon and costs $60. Flight time is an hour and 20 minutes. Yes, I know that the show was filmed a long time ago, but for now let us assume that the flight schedule was the same then as it is now. I find it hard to believe that they did not investigate this. Of course, they may have been so broke that the $120 cost (plus taxis to/from the airports) would have busted them, but I don't believe that either. I'm pretty sure the fast forward did NOT prohibit them from flying, so that wasn't a factor.

2. Is anyone else bothered by the opening credits? All of the teams are listed as though they were still competing, but most of them are gone, not coming back, and we'll never see them again. I know, minor thing, and I'm sure CBS doesn't want to redesign the opening every week. But I just wanted to note this.

3. It looks like there is only one elimination left. I have three different theories that eliminate three different teams. The first one is the weakest link theory - the weakest team left is the next to go. The Lawyers look weakest to me; except for last week, when they haven't been pulled along by a stronger team, they've finished in the middle of the pack. And the middle of the pack is now gone, so that leaves them last in line. The second theory is the Three Mile Island theory - the next team to melt down loses. F&M are holding up well, better indeed than a month ago, so they're safe, I think. The Guidos were actually TOO calm last week, and based on the previews, they're not too worried. So they're safe. The Lawyers rarely get emotional, so that leaves the Frat Guys, who are getting increasingly snippy and might melt down at any time. The third theory is the penultimate theory - the last one to leave the pit stop is the next to go. That would be Team Guido. I could think of a theory that would eliminate F&M, but I don't think I will.

4. It could be coincidence, but all three of the all-male teams are still in the race. None of the three all-female teams are still around, and only one of the five mixed couples are still in it. I wonder if the race isn't subtly biased against women. None of the tasks that I've seen (I admit that I haven't watched all the episodes) have been extremely physically demanding, but a few have been emotionally demanding in a "face your fears" way, and others have tested endurance rather than strength. And of course the race itself is one long endurance test. I wonder what other people think.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Random thoughts (long) Cole 11-16-01 1
   RE: Random thoughts (long) heresy 11-17-01 2
 RE: Random thoughts (long) TeamJoisey 11-18-01 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Cole 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-16-01, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cole Click to send private message to Cole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Random thoughts (long)"
Good thoughts, reality bites!

1. Not sure, maybe they just assumed there wasn't a flight or assumed it would be prohibitively expensive. The only time the teams have taken flights is when they were told to, and they know they don't have to pay for those. Given their money situation it probably didn't even occur to them that they could take a flight. I'm not complaining.

2. I am not bothered by them in the least, I actually like seeing the old teams. Survivor does the exact same thing. Big Brother 2 removed the evicted contestants and replaced their faces with footage from tapings, and I thought it was kind of sad. Only on the last show did they replace everyone's face.

3. At this point anything is possible. If you read these boards often, everyone knows my favorite team is the lawyers. Last night I thought of something that concerns me.... remember the hullabaloo about Momily's "confession" interviews. Well, I remembered seeing Rob quite often in what looked like the same background. I also thought the Festers and the Guidos have had these types of interviews, but am trying to convince myself it doesn't mean much. I think Frangarita is certainly safe for at least the next episode, unless they end up in a cold climate.

4. This has been discussed elsewhere, I think it's sad that some are harping that the race is sexist. The three all-female teams have exited under varying circumstances: the teachers proved fairly incompetent and rude, the mothers plain bad luck by going to the wrong pendulum (could have happened to anyone), and as we saw Momily did fairly well to get so far. I am surprised that the race has not been more physical... I would have expected much more physical aspects. On the CBS website, several of the teams talk about how one member is a good athlete or something like that, and athleticism has played almost ZERO role in this. That seems to change next time with the rock climbing and diving. As far as endurance, I don't think that has anything to do with gender... until I saw Momily on the Early Show and Emily said they had been up for 48 hours straight, the whole lack of sleep thing hadn't even hit me. My brother and I have kicked around the idea of applying for TAR2, but I know that I get extremely irritable when I am tired!

heresy 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-17-01, 03:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail heresy Click to send private message to heresy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Random thoughts (long)"
Airplane tickets are not paid for by the contestants. After they have booked a flight, the production staff authorizes the payment to the airline.

Therefore, money is not a factor.

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-18-01, 02:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Random thoughts (long)"
Good post!

My thoughts:

1. The production company apparently picks up the cost of airline tickets, but they may not have been willing to do so in this case. This was only one team moving, and their were cheaper options. Unfortunately, we don't know, and may never know. Hard to imagine Bill and Joe not thinking of an airplane when they realized how far they needed to go, but then again, who can guess what they are thinking most of the time anyway.

2. I like the credits the way they are. There were/are clues in there, for one thing. And I certainly like that the producers acknowledge the former contestants each week in this way. Otherwise, who remembers Matt and Ana?

3. I think a Frank meltdown is possible, if only because he has kept his calm a long time, at least they way we've seen him edited. I think it is unlikely, though. I think we are supposed to believe the Frat Boys snap, and that Guido recovers their balance. I'm not sure what to believe, except to doubt anything that seems likely. I do agree with you that all four teams are competent, and small mistakes or lost time due to arguments/tantrums will be a huge factor. No one can afford to blink.

4. I hate to think I'm sexist, but I think the endurance factor eliminated the Grandparents and Momily. The teachers eliminated themselves by going to the top of the Eiffel Tower instead of the flag at the bottom. Stupid stupid stupid, as they said. The Moms didn't seem as competitive as the others, and also made the pendulum goof, of course. Matt and Ana were miscast. Paul and Amie didn't work well as a team, and Karyn and Lenny were in a horrible relationship that was exposed on national TV.

All the remaining teams have consulted each other before charging off in one direction or another. Frank and Margarita are still there because Frank is no longer "in charge," but is willing to stop, listen and think. The Lawyers, the Frat Boys and Team Guido, have always played that way, with varying degrees of success on varying days.

Which ties into #3. Stop thinking and you lose.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •