The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-09-05, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
DH went in to work yesterday to find that 3 out of the 5 employees scheduled to work for him called off at 1am (within 5 minutes of one another). It was prom night and they were evidently having too good a time to get some sleep before reporting to work.

One of them has called off 3 times at the last minute, in the last month. Another was just hired 2 weeks ago - and this was her second call-off (she was also late her first day at work). The third has had perfect attendance, so far. It sounded like they were passing the phone back & forth to make the calls, so they knew just how short-handed they'd be. They also had the option to request to be off ahead of time. (They've known the schedule for at least 2 weeks.)

Now, this is at a restaurant on the turnpike - on a Sunday, that was also a holiday. They ended up having to "borrow" people from other facilities, and didn't have a full complement of people until 2nd shift started showing up. It inconvenienced (to put it politely) a lot of people - including the customer base (and caused DH to miss my concert - which has me PO'd).

Problem is that they already needed to hire people - and they just had to fire one, had one quit, and a third broke her leg. I think the only reason the kids pulled this is because they figure they can't fire them. Doing so would be problematic for a couple weeks, until school's out - but could be managed.

I say fire 'em all. Let them learn early that the business world doesn't accept that lack of consideration and work ethic. I know my company sure wouldn't put up with it. But, they're kids - graduating kids, yes - but still kids. I think company policy means #1 is gone for sure, maybe #2, as well, but #3 would be management call (it's at-will employment).

What would you do?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... ginger 05-09-05 1
   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... landruajm 05-09-05 4
       RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... Spidey 05-09-05 7
           RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... Poncho 05-10-05 28
               RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... nailbone 05-10-05 30
                   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... HobbsofMI 05-10-05 31
                       RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... Devious Weasel 05-10-05 34
                           RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... Surveysez 05-10-05 37
                               RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... Emily RugBurn 05-10-05 38
                                   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... dragonflies 05-10-05 39
 RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... KObrien_fan 05-09-05 2
   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... mysticwolf 05-09-05 3
   Agree PagongRatEater 05-09-05 6
       RE: Agree KObrien_fan 05-09-05 14
 RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... miamicatt 05-09-05 5
   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... ginger 05-09-05 9
       RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... miamicatt 05-09-05 25
 RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... TechNoir 05-09-05 8
   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... dabo 05-09-05 13
 RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... cahaya 05-09-05 10
   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... mysticwolf 05-09-05 11
       RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... nailbone 05-10-05 36
   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... greenmonstah 05-09-05 12
       Everybody! Dizwiz 05-09-05 18
           RE: Everybody! mysticwolf 05-09-05 19
               RE: Everybody! Dizwiz 05-09-05 23
   RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... frisky 05-09-05 26
       RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... mysticwolf 05-10-05 27
 Evil management trick Bobdechemist 05-09-05 15
   RE: Evil management trick Spidey 05-09-05 16
       RE: Evil management trick samboohoo 05-10-05 29
           RE: Evil management trick HobbsofMI 05-10-05 32
   You've obviously been... mysticwolf 05-09-05 17
       RE: You've obviously been... Bobdechemist 05-09-05 20
           RE: You've obviously been... mysticwolf 05-09-05 21
   RE: Evil management trick MandyM 05-09-05 22
   RE: Evil management trick Lisapooh 05-10-05 33
   RE: Evil management trick Bebo 05-10-05 35
 RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let ... grit 05-09-05 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
I think the one with the (until now) perfect record has to be given a second chance. But go ahead and can the other two.

landruajm 6040 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail landruajm Click to send private message to landruajm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
What Ginger said.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
What landru said.

Poncho 787 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-10-05, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Poncho Click to send private message to Poncho Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
What Spidey said.

Poncho

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 09:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
What Poncho said.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 10:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
What Nailbone said.

created by Syren

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
What Hobbs said

Surveysez 2793 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-10-05, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Surveysez Click to send private message to Surveysez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
What DW said.

Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Emily RugBurn 663 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-10-05, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Emily%20RugBurn Click to send private message to Emily%20RugBurn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
LAST EDITED ON 05-10-05 AT 01:16 PM (EST)

What Surveysez... said.

~ EmRB

Generously handcrafted by the Amazing RollDdice; no relation to the Amazing Spider-Man
Pulitzer Prize Winner TeamJoisey: the first to admit he's aroused by my sig pic. Bow, chicka, bow bow!

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
what EmRB said

another syren masterpiece

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
Fire 1 and 2, warn #3. Either that or let them all go, it may be an inconvenience to have to find others, but you can't let that crap go on.

05-09-05, 06:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
That's my position. Hopefully, these kids will be college bound and, even if they choose to make their living in something other than "white collar" work, most companies just won't tolerate it. As someone who was a hiring manager and worked in a manufacturing setting, life was always harder on everyone concerned when someone came in without having learned limits. Better earlier than later.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Agree"
Number three should get a warning and perhaps written up, but it wouldn't be fair to fire that one unless you could prove that they weren't sick. The other two have proved themselves to be unreliable and deserve the shaft.

Hiya KT! *SMOOCH!*

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Agree"
Hiya Pre, I'll raise you two smooshes and a hug!

miamicatt 9247 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
DO WHAT MUST BE DONE! DO NOT HESITATE! SHOW NO MERCY!

RollDdice it was handcrafted by. Thankful Miamicatt is.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
Boy, SOMEONE's in a Queen of Hearts mood!

OFFFFFFFFFFF with their heads!

miamicatt 9247 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
I just channeled the Emporer there for a second....whew! What a rush!

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
I am assuming that "called off" means "called in to say they are sick and won't be at work" which we refer to as "called in sick" in my part of the woods.

#1 would have been warned on day one and let go the second time; #2, well I'm likely to warn folks, but this would be a good time to let it go. #3 - nope. Not under any circumstances. Besides, you will give him the opportunity to make sure everybody knows what happened to #1 and #2, and why they were let go. Spreading that through the grapevine is worth a lot.

"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." John F. Kennedy

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 07:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
ditto, especially the #3 talking about what happened to #1 and #2 part.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
Chop, chop, slap, in that order.

Just make sure you follow the relevant federal/state employment laws in doing so.

You're fired! -- Donald Trump (and every other CEO or HR manager sometime during his/her career).

05-09-05, 06:59 PM (EST)
11. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
Oh, he's had to do it before. See, in our current world of "retraining for increased employment opportunities", he's had to abandon his B.A. & 25yrs. of high-tech management and programming for re-training (8 weeks worth!) as a fast-food Mgr. He's just not entirely sure what the expectation level should be for high-schoolers in their first jobs.

He's feeling down right now. Says he's never worked so hard for so little money. But, it's legal, and it's money...

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
He's just not entirely sure what the expectation level should be for high-schoolers in their first jobs.

If #1 and #2 were warned the previous times, then firing them will be a good life lesson to all three. I f #1 and #2 weren't warned the previous times, then you'll probably have problems firing them anyway.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 07:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
Now this, I like!

Chop, chop, slap!

Dizwiz 2699 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-09-05, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dizwiz Click to send private message to Dizwiz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Everybody!"
Chop, chop, slap!
Chop, chop, slap!
Chop, chop, slap!
Chop, chop, slap!
Buddy, you're a boy, make a big noise playing in the street,
Gonna be a big man someday,
You got mud on you face,
You big disgrace,
Kickin' your can all over the place...

05-09-05, 08:10 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Everybody!"
Thank you! First real LOL I've gotten from him since last night. You rock!

Dizwiz 2699 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-09-05, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dizwiz Click to send private message to Dizwiz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Everybody!"
I may not rock now, but we will rock you. Oh yes, we will.

Happy to bring a smile!

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 10:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
>Chop, chop, slap, in that order.

oooo...hi Cayaha, I'm Frisky, and I'm gonna like you.

*spank* oops, I mean *sniffbutt*

Mystie, the reason these kids do this is because people are letting them get away with it. Hubby needs to show that it isn't acceptable. #3 will straighten up after seeing him chopchop #1 and #2. And the rest of the staff will be afraid.

The world is my litterbox.

05-10-05, 00:03 AM (EST)
27. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
Actually, the rest of the staff are begging for their hours. Until school's out that's against the law (that's why it would be difficult for a few weeks).

I argree with you, but I want them ALL fired. But that's because it was a good concert performance and it's the first one he's missed. And it was Mothers Day! *pout*

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-09-05, 07:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Evil management trick"
You say your short staffed so:

Fire #1. He is obviously useless and everyone else will resent him.

Talk to #3 and keep.

Keep #2, but hire some more people. Do what all evil restaurants do and start to slide #2 out, crummy shifts, split shifts, not enough hours. If she learns her lesson, fine, if not, cut down hours and push her out. You may get in trouble if you fire her for minor infractions, but you can always do the nasty crummy shifts trick.

Give your other employees a raise, even a nickle a hour after they stay with no problems for 3 months.

I am evil, yes I is, yes I is!

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 07:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Evil management trick"
You may get in trouble if you fire her for minor infractions,

If it's at-will employment, you can fire them for no reason at all.

And chances are that since they are HS students, they won't have worked enough consecutive time to qualify for any unemployment.

I'd rather be short-handed than keep employees who only hurt the company with their unreliability

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Evil management trick"
Agree with the Spidey, I do.

I worked at McD's for a total of 10 years. Back then, you didn't do this kind of crap, you didn't call in unless you were on your deathbed. When I went into managment I had to deal with these types of things all the time. We could not require anyone to go to the doctor when they called in, however, Virginia is an "at-will" state so we either let them go or we cut their hours back so much that they left on their own.

I remember a many day when there were just 3 of us in the store for hours, but a productive little bunch we were.

Icey bounced my Dicey

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Evil management trick"
The six people of our weekend crew at BK would go out until all hours on Friday and Saturday together, even show up at the store for food at 2am or 3am, but we would always be in and work our ##### off. That way we could cover for someone for a freeze nap and the morning manager could just sit in the office doing paper work.

created by Syren

05-09-05, 07:49 PM (EST)
17. "You've obviously been..."
in fast-food or restaurants at some point. DH has only been in mgmt. for 3 weeks and he's seen these games played.

But coming from a non-food background, he's not happy about them. (Not to say he won't learn to play them.)

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-09-05, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: You've obviously been..."
I got all my cruel tricks from listening to my friends and sisters bitching about their time as underlings in fast food and other chain employers. Also from reading "Nickled and Dimed" and the "The Dilbert Principle"

Also, I'm naturally evil.

05-09-05, 08:23 PM (EST)
21. "RE: You've obviously been..."
Ahhh... Your tricks may come in handy. Both DH & I managed to avoid the dreaded fast food and chain retailer employers growing up. His time has come. I fear that mine may eventually follow.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Thank you GWB...

MandyM 2112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-09-05, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MandyM Click to send private message to MandyM Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Evil management trick"
*LOVE* the Evil Management Trick! Seems it would be very effective!

Good luck to your hubby Mystic...I'm sorry he has to deal with this crap.

*Still giggling at the "chop chop slap" above.*

MM I just wish that there was a way that I could choose for others not to be bigots. - HD

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Evil management trick"
yes - the nickel an hour raise does wonders for foolish young morale!

When I was a regular scooper at Baskin Robbins in high school, I was THRILLED - THRILLED - when I was "promoted" to Senior Scooper. i was all excited and proud of my nickel an hour wage and increase in responsibility. Until my dad pointed out that I worked roughly twenty hours a week, so I had assumed responsibility and accountability for a staff of dunces for a whopping $1 a week increase.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Evil management trick"
I vote evil management with a twist. Handle #2 like Bob said, but also tell #2 that the next time he/she/it shows up late, that's termination time.

And make an extra point of thanking the other employees who have been showing up on time and have been doing their shifts as scheduled. Yeah, money is a great incentive, but acknowledging efforts has an impact too. And throwing around positive reenforcement right about the time the ax is falling for others can boost morale. That way, DH isn't just known as the hardass who only notices bad things.

"If there was ever a time you wanted permission to run over a clown . . . ."

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-09-05, 09:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: ?? Fire them all, some, or let it pass??"
I used to be a bookkeeper for a local McDonald's. The first owner I worked for would have kept kids like this because he was shorthanded and figured cr@ppy employees were better than no employees. Unfortunately for him, the kids learned that they could get away with murder and not lose their jobs.

When the new owner came in, he didn't put up with carp like that. No matter how shorthanded they were, people were fired if they pulled stuff like that. In the long run, it ended up being good for the store. The good kids who were busting their butts realized that they were valued employees and the bad kids would either work harder to keep their jobs or quit on their own.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •