The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

kahanasunset 466 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-08-05, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kahanasunset Click to send private message to kahanasunset Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
LAST EDITED ON 05-08-05 AT 09:48 PM (EST)

My Mother's Day bummer did not materialize! Woo freakin' Hoo!

I had bought these expensive tickets to take my mother on a brunch cruise down the Willlamette River today, and it was supposed to rain but it didn't! We had excellent food, great champagne, roses, photos, silly entertainment, great piano bar, and beautiful photo ops in the glorious sunshine while cruising one of the most beautiful rivers in these here United States.

And THEN it rained as soon as we disembarked.

What an incredibly beautiful and wonderful city is Portland. I was born here, raised in California, and I AM BACK. Hopefully to stay. The only thing this state needs is jobs. Now.

Pssst, if you're Republican you will NOT like this place.
Oh, and DON'T call it OREH-GONE!
Infinitely worse than calling San Francisco ESS EFF. (ugh)

and *smooches* to Seana for my first siggiepic!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... LibraRising 05-08-05 1
   RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... kahanasunset 05-09-05 5
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... Seana 05-08-05 2
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... brvnkrz 05-08-05 3
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... badger 05-08-05 4
   RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... kahanasunset 05-09-05 9
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... txmomma26 05-09-05 6
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... Breezy 05-09-05 7
   RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... txmomma26 05-09-05 8
       RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... Cygnus X1 05-09-05 13
           RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... Lisapooh 05-09-05 14
               Louisville Pronunciation Cygnus X1 05-09-05 15
                   RE: Louisville Pronunciation LibraRising 05-09-05 16
                   RE: Louisville Pronunciation Lisapooh 05-09-05 17
                       RE: Louisville Pronunciation kahanasunset 05-09-05 18
           RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... kahanasunset 05-09-05 19
   RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... kahanasunset 05-09-05 10
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... Lisapooh 05-09-05 11
   RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... kahanasunset 05-09-05 12
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... bondt007 05-09-05 20
   RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... kahanasunset 05-09-05 23
 RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... mom2bjm 05-09-05 21
   RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... kahanasunset 05-09-05 22
       RE: The Paradise that is Portland (... mom2bjm 05-09-05 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-08-05, 10:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
I haven't been to Portland since I was about 12, so I just wanted to butt in to say glad you had a lovely day and the new sig pic is lovely as well.

Are there really people who say Or-ah-GONE? I mean, outside of Perry Como songs?

05-09-05, 00:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kahanasunset Click to send private message to kahanasunset Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
Hi LibraRising! I have libra rising too. That's a whole subject in itself, as you know.

My great uncle and aunt (who lived here all their lives and were cute, doddery, monacled, prominent citizens supposedly), wrote a song together called "Don't Call it Ore-Gawn." It got published and everything and I guess it was sung a lot in the 50's and 60's but now it's collecting dust somewhere in somebody's music porfolio.

I love Portland because it is old and established and solid and YIN. It's so moist and lovely! People here dress for the weather and they have their noses in books and they ride bikes and walk places and basically lead lives that Californians know nothing about (well, southern Californians anyway). The music scene, the book scene, the indie theater scene, the hiking scene, the political scene, the ethnic music/restaurant scene... it's all here. And I live in one of the coolest, most beautiful sections of town - Ladd's Addition. How lucky am I? Everyday I pinch myself. It's a beautiful dream, from which I don't have to wake up.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-08-05, 10:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
It rained after your cruise? Oh, excellent. I'm happy for you!

Oregon is one of the states I'd like to see one day. I always think of it as very green and outdoorsy. It's nice that you've found a place where you enjoy living.

For Mother's Day, DH and the kids took me for a hike on a nearby trail with a boardwalk. I wore my lovely new necklace, made(by a 6-year-old's loving hands)of white and pink beads on one side, blue and pink beads on the other and 4 green beads to divide the two. It goes well with my sparkly bead earings.

*smoochback*

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-05, 10:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
For the record, we also know a tourist because they refer to us as Frisco. Nobody who lives here calls it Frisco.

Glad you had a nice day with your Mom. It rained here in
Ess-Eff/Frisco

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-08-05, 11:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail badger Click to send private message to badger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
i'm glad it was nice for you up in p-town, 'cause it rained almost all day here in eugene. can't say i'm too upset since badger-boy really wanted to head down to roseburg for the monster truck show.

THAT would've been mother's day hell.

Bouncin' with joy for this IceCat creation. Hoppin' mad rants found here

05-09-05, 11:38 AM (EST)
9. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-05 AT 11:43 AM (EST)

So, Badger, how did your Mother's Day turn out since you were able to escape testosterone hell at the monster truck show?

By the way, my son is 18 now and he spent 12 years playing soccer. I spent many a mother's day on a soccer field. Now, I like soccer and I support it though I'm not a soccer mom, but these maniacs think that everyone should sit on a soccer field on mother's day just because of their precious tournaments. Whatever. My kid missed out on a lot (science museums, rafting trips, summer camp, observatorys, etc. because of frickin soccer. Who needs to play soccer 11 months a year? I mean, AYSO, high school, club. C'mon. My kid ended up not going for a soccer scolarship to college because he's so burnt out on it. His friends didn't either. What a shame. And there were so many ruined Mother's Days for me and the other moms!!!

txmomma26 5825 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 09:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail txmomma26 Click to send private message to txmomma26 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
Okay, so how do you pronounce it???

Oh - and sounds like a wonderful day with your mom!

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 09:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
Love Portland, I have family there. My Uncle used to live in Gresham, love Gresham even more than Portland.

It's pronounced Orgin, Txmomma.

txmomma26 5825 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail txmomma26 Click to send private message to txmomma26 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
Orgin? Huh? That doesn't even look right.

Think I'll stick with Or-uh-gun

SigPic by Syren

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
And BTW, when you travel SE of ARE-uh-gin, you come to neh-VAAH-dah. (Not neh-VAHH-dah.)

I know a Republican activist in Portland. He might be the only one

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 12:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-05 AT 12:29 PM (EST)

as a former resident - let me reiterate that if you call our state Nevahda, we will kill you.

It's NeVAAAAAduh

And as a native of Louisville, Kentucky - I must advise you that the proper proounciation is Lou-uh-vull. Not under any circumstances Lou-ee-vill. That is just wrong wrong wrong.

Please learn it, know it, live it.

edited because I'm still not quite hooked on phonics.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Louisville Pronunciation"
So does Louisville really have two or three syllables?

I love the Frederick natives who pronounce it as if it had only one "r": "Fredick."

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-09-05, 02:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Louisville Pronunciation"
So what's the proper pronunciation of "Missouri?"

It took me awhile to figure out Berlin, Connecticut.

05-09-05, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Louisville Pronunciation"
I'd say two and a half. the uh and vulle are separate but sorta run together.

Lou-uhvulle.

05-09-05, 03:32 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Louisville Pronunciation"
change of geographics: Los Hahng-gel-eeze. (Correct pronunciation!)

And another L-word: I once lived in Lagunitas, Marin County. I had to stop dating a guy because he couldn't stop referring to it as Lah-goo-nigh-tus.

05-09-05, 03:41 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-05 AT 03:49 PM (EST)

I know a Republican activist in Portland. He might be the only one.

Cyggie! Surely not LARS! (seein' as how you'e a radio guy and all.)

05-09-05, 11:59 AM (EST)
10. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
yes Gresham is lovely, and if I could I'd live way out past there on the way to Mt. Hood, somewhere near Sandy or past it.

05-09-05, 12:03 PM (EST)
11. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
well now I have the Loretta Lynn song of the same name stuck in my head - but I like it so I won't hold it against you.

slow gin fizz uh-huuh uh-huuuuh

05-09-05, 12:09 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
OK LisaPooh, I had to Google that one since I am not really a country fan though I like a lot of it. But I have to run off this a.m. so I will deal with it and you later!

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-09-05, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"

So, most importantly: Beavers or Ducks?

Charter Member, April 2001; Club Anti-DAW

05-09-05, 06:34 PM (EST)
23. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
uh oh, I'm staying out of this one!

mom2bjm 1467 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mom2bjm Click to send private message to mom2bjm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
And no one thought to question how to say Willamette??? That's a classic Ore-uh-gun mispronunciation if there ever was one!!

I went to a concert in McMinnville once with one of the singers from New York Voices, and she said how she'd been over the Willem-ETTE river... she was quickly corrected!

*sniff, sniff... wish I still lived in OR!

05-09-05, 06:32 PM (EST)
22. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
Good one, mom2bjm, thanks for the reminder. It's pronounced Wil-LAMM-ette not that anyone here really cares!

Regis once said (ok, I was watching cuz I was sick in bed, mmmK?) we have a caller from TIGG-erd, Oregon. I almost fell out of my bed laughing. (It's pronounced TIE-gerd.)

Sorry you miss Oregon. Do come back and visit when you can.

mom2bjm 1467 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mom2bjm Click to send private message to mom2bjm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: The Paradise that is Portland (Oregon)"
Yes, Tie-gard.. hee hee! We lived in Beaverton, so that wasn't too hard! We loved being able to drive 2 minutes to a Blueberry orchard? Grove? farm? to pick our own, wild berries along side the road, Christmas tree farms, etc! I think DH would move back in a minute, as would I, if there were jobs, as you say.. Plus, all the grandparents are here, and if moved there would be much weeping, wailing & gnashing of teeth!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •