The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rankings, 05/23/06"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-24-06, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rankings, 05/23/06"
LAST EDITED ON 05-24-06 AT 10:29 AM (EST)

Tier Not Quite As Good As Last Week But Still The Best Performance Of The Night – Kat, Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Tier Not Sure What The Judges Were Listening To But This Was So Clearly Better Than His First Performance Even If He Still Doesn’t Seem To Know What The Song Is About – Taylor, Levon

Tier Not As Funky As The First Time But Still Too Cool For Idool – Kat, Black Horse And The Cherry Tree

Tier If We Are Going To Make Them Sing Different Coronation Songs, Could We At Least Make The Coronation Songs Equally Crappy? – Taylor, Taylor’s AI Carp

HUGE DROP

Tier I’m Willing To Chalk The Fact That He Was Drowned Out By The Band To A Bad Audio Mix For The Broadcast And Not Something That The Studio Audience Could Hear But Living For The City? Is Not A Fun Song, It’s A Song About The Trials And Tribulations Faced By Rural Southern Blacks When They Migrated To The Urban North And It Is Not A Song That Someone Should Be Bopping And Dancing Around Too Unless Of Course One Finds Glee In The Fact That, As The Song Says, Where He’s From, They Don’t Hire Colored People And It Certainly Isn’t A Song That Should Be Followed With Tourettes-Fueled Screams Of “Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol!" And It Certainly Is The Case That The Only Reason It Wasn’t The Worst Thing Of The Night Is That Kat Was Forced To Sing The Poorest Written Song Of All Time – Taylor, Living For The City

Tier It’s Not That Kat Didn’t Make The Song Her Own, It’s That Diana Ross, Beverly Sills, Trisha Yearwood, and Kelly Clarkson Rolled Into One Person Couldn’t Have Made The Song Their Own, That’s How Absolutely Horrible The Song Was – Kat, Kat’s AI Carp

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 mrc 05-24-06 1
 RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 tenmeters 05-24-06 2
 RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 geekboy 05-24-06 3
   RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 Glow 05-24-06 5
       RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 tamarama 05-24-06 8
       RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 emydi 05-24-06 10
           RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 geekboy 05-24-06 12
               RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 emydi 05-24-06 13
                   RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 Glow 05-24-06 15
                       RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 emydi 05-24-06 17
   RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 sica077 05-24-06 6
       RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 opinionated 05-24-06 16
 RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 xwraith27 05-24-06 4
 RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 tamarama 05-24-06 7
   RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 Devious Weasel 05-24-06 9
       RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 tamarama 05-24-06 11
 RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 jags 05-24-06 14
   RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 niteowl0205 05-24-06 18
 RE: Rankings, 05/23/06 AyaK 05-24-06 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
I agree.

tenmeters 202 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-24-06, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tenmeters Click to send private message to tenmeters Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
Kat's Somewhere... sounded like the best performance because it was the only song last night with the 'melody'.

I thought Taylor's original song was the best performance of the night. His song (just like Kat's orig. song) sounded cheesy but what do we expect from an American Idol song?

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-24-06, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
Maybe its my own bias, but i think Taylor's three songs outshined Kat all the way.

I agree with Weasel that "Levon" was much better than when he orignally did it. Same thing for "Livin for The City" - i thought it was spectacular.

I think Kat did essentially teh same, if not worse, for both of her songs. She did not switch them up at all which I think she _NEEDED_ to do for the finale, as Taylor did. This is FINALE NIGHT, you have to bring your A++ game.

"Somewhere..." was a carbon copy of the first time.
"Black Horse..." was a carbon copy of hte first, but not on her knees the whole time.

Now, the AI Single Dreck ...

No contest, Taylor spiffed up his assigned dreck a lot better than Kat did. I thought Kat looked completely horrified while singing that dreadful song, but even if you hate the song you have to give it your all and she did not.

Taylor takes the night hands-down.

geekboy

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 11:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
I agree with everything you said, geekboy, except I think Kat's "Somewhere" was better this time and "Black Horse" wasn't as good as the first time. Kind of evened itself out.

The clincher was the last song. Taylor did the best he could with what he had to deal with and Kat just sang it.

But.
If I wouldn't have spent the hour searching for Bucky in the audience, I'd have fallen asleep.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
Oooooh! but he was THERE and they showed him several times!!

He looked good!

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
I saw him and said...ooh Glowie will be happy!!

well for the songs, I agree it was just an okay nite. I agree with Simon on mostly everything he said except I didn't think SOTR was better this week, and I didn't like it last week either.

Taylor wins it bc of the last song disparity..

DRIVEL!

and cattychat...I agree Taylor will be Bo-ified and we will not hear the real Taylor for several years... I'm back to being glad that Chris (and Bucky) did not win this thing and will have more freedom.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 01:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
I keep hoping each year that the record producers will learn a thing of two about the 'debut CD' syndrome that AI winners get.

They treat the Idols as if they have no clue as to what America wants. Carrie Underwood is the exception - she made the CD that i htink all her fans wanted her to make - a nice country/pop crossover CD. Now, Bo, on the other hand (caveat, i do like his CD) it is _NOT_ what Bo Bice fans wanted him to make and further more it is NOT what Bo wanted to make. I thikn teh same can be applied to Fantasia and Kelly's first CD. The other exception is Clay Aiken who i also believe made a CD that his fans were expecting.

Lets hope that they do not Bo-ify Taylor's debut. Let him be Taylor. Of all the winners, he is definately the most unique and i think he deserves more of a say.

geekboy

05-24-06, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
Simon said it though last nite when they kept hounding him for not picking Taylor to go thru to Hollywood..."that's show business" which was a pretty good way to answer his critics...

"Show business" will Bo-ify Taylor bc he is not the run of the mill pop star that AI was "meant for" Clay and Carrie were meant for AI so it worked for them (hey Carrie won best new female vocal and best single at the Country awards last nite...)

Sorry geek...you may have to wait...

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
*nods in total agreement*

This is the kind of competition that real musicians (Chris, Bucky, Taylor) need for exposure and singers with no other real talent (I'm not sure Carrie fits that mold but whatever) need to win. I'm back to being glad Chris didn't win (I never expected or thought Bucky would because not everybody has good taste ) too. So in a way I'll be kind of bummed if (duh) Taylor wins. But as I said about Chris, he wouldn't be here if he didn't want to win. Right? I'm glad for Taylor that his fans have been so rabid. I like him. I said I probably wouldn't buy his album but now I'm thinking I will just to help prove the point that he deserved to win (since Chris didn't).

05-24-06, 03:02 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
Last nite, I liked Taylor again (not as much as I did in the beginning) but he didn't bother me (except when he kept saying s...l p.....l after his last song) like he has over the last month or so.

I won't buy his CD tho bc I just don't really buy them anymore...as for Chris you'll have to beat me off with a stick... for Bucky's CD too!

sica077 523 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-24-06, 12:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sica077 Click to send private message to sica077 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
I agree...what geekboy said.

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-24-06, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail opinionated Click to send private message to opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
I also agree with geekboy.

You're popular today.

xwraith27 1136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-24-06, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail xwraith27 Click to send private message to xwraith27 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
I didn't like most of the performances last night. But that's just probably me preferring a different final 2.

1. Somewhere Over The Rainbow (KM) - not as good as the last time, but still good.

HUGE DROP

2. Living For The City (TH) - Taylor sang the heck out of this song, but I prefer his first version of the song.

3. Black Horse And The Cherry Tree (KM) - I really don't get this song, and why Kat chose to sing this over some of her other songs

4. Levon (TH) - I agree with Randy on this one. It wasn't as good as the first time he sang this song, and I didn't even like how he sang it the first time.

5. Do I Make You Proud (TH) - Not as bad as Kat's song, but I still really disliked this one. This is the first time I heard this song (obviously), but I thought he hit a few REALLY svcky flat notes.

6. My Destiny (KM) - The song was just too low for her. Had it been transposed to a higher key, I think it could've worked for her. And I agree, this is easily the worst song written for AI.

05-24-06, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
1. Taylor I have been a Taylor fan since his city audition. He is unique, he is a good singer, he is a dynamic performer…but to me, the most important thing is that indefinable “other” quality. He feels genuine. He clearly loves music and loves to sing. He pours his heart out on stage when he performs for us. FOR US maybe that’s a good way to describe it: When he performs, I feel he is saying “I want to give this to you” rather than “Look at me.” Yeah, that’s really artsy-fartsy, but it’s a difficult quality to describe.

1a. Levon. Great song, great performance. He did a few more runs than I remember from the first time he did this...which is not my preference, but great none the less.

1b. Living for the City. Started a little mild, but overall terrific. OK, missed the top of a run early in the number (there, I said it). Awesome.

2. Kat I have not been a Kat fan at any point in the competition. This does not mean I hate her, or think she is a horrible person. Nor do I think she is talent-free. She is simply not the kind of singer that I enjoy. Not because of the style of music she sings (I’m a musical theater geek, I love standards, & I owned the KT Tunstall CD before she sang BH&CT the first time). The quality I miss in Kat is almost the same quality I love in Taylor. I miss the guts, the grit, the heartfelt authenticity. It’s the same reason singers like Celine, Mariah & Whitney leave me cold. They live too much in "voiceland." It’s why I notice when Kat misses pitch, but not when Billie Holiday does. Why I love Tom Waits’ croak more than Sarah Brightman’s bell-like tone.

2a. Black Horse & Cherry Tree – Love the song. I think she does a good job with this – because of it’s folk/pop feel, she doesn’t belt it, and therefore stays on track better. My only criticism is that she’s a bit cheery considering the lyric – the song is actually a tad dark. She needs to pay a bit more attention to the story she’s telling. Words cannot express how happy I am that she didn’t crawl around on the floor.

2b. SOTR – Again, she chose a song that she DOES NOT BELT on. Good for her. She actually listened to the advice. She does this really well, my only 2 complaints are: too many runs & gratuitous ad libs and GET OFF THE FLOOR.

3y. Taylor’s piece-of-carp original song. He has the benefit of experience – he was able to add more of himself to this sorry bit of fluff, and he was just more comfortable singing something he’d never heard before.

3z. Kat’s piece-of-carp original song. *sigh* WHY can’t they find better originals? I KNOW there are scads of hungry songwriters out there that would love to sell a song to AI…oh well. Kat’s not as good as Taylor at dressing this crap up. Mostly just because she’s less experienced, but I think also because she doesn’t have as much fire and instinct as Taylor.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 01:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
LAST EDITED ON 05-24-06 AT 01:41 PM (EST)

FOR US maybe that’s a good way to describe it: When he performs, I feel he is saying “I want to give this to you” rather than “Look at me.”

See, for me everything Taylor does - and I mean everything Taylor does - screams "Look at me! Look at me! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!!" He strikes me as the classic High School Music Geek (and I was one myself, so I don't mean that derogatorily) hungry for attention.

05-24-06, 01:35 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
I hear ya...vive la difference!

And obviously alot of the world disagrees with me, otherwise we'd never have heard of Celine, Mariah, Whitney & Sarah Brightman.

(and fewer people would read my ranking & think "who the heck is this Waits guy?")

jags 124 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jags Click to send private message to jags Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
You know I was not going to post at all but,I need to give my humble opinion. When Taylor over sang, and he did over sing a few notes last night it went without being pointed out. He was also off key and that is not what makes Taylor unique its what make him ordinary, it was praised instead of critiqued properly because Paula put her delirious babble twist into it. He was being pimped all night which was not fair to KAT. Her new song was crap but like Randy said she sounded good. She probably will not win this popularity contest. But she was the best singer last night. She was great with both her first songs, Not once did she over sing which she could of tried to do something to pep up that song but she didn't, she sang the song the way it was written, I am sure Taylor did not change the song either, he just had a better song to work with. Not taking anything away from Taylor he knew he was being pimped and he worked it, More power to him. Good Luck To Both Of Them.
Regards,
JAGS

niteowl0205 136 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail niteowl0205 Click to send private message to niteowl0205 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
What you said!

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 07:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Rankings, 05/23/06"
LAST EDITED ON 05-24-06 AT 08:05 PM (EST)

Tier Not Sure What The Judges Were Listening To But This Was So Clearly Better Than His First Performance Even If He Still Doesn’t Seem To Know What The Song Is About – Taylor, Levon

Tier I’m Willing To Chalk The Fact That He Was Drowned Out By The Band To A Bad Audio Mix For The Broadcast And Not Something That The Studio Audience Could Hear But Living For The City? Is Not A Fun Song, It’s A Song About The Trials And Tribulations Faced By Rural Southern Blacks When They Migrated To The Urban North And It Is Not A Song That Someone Should Be Bopping And Dancing Around To Unless Of Course One Finds Glee In The Fact That, As The Song Says, Where He’s From, They Don’t Hire Colored People And It Certainly Isn’t A Song That Should Be Followed With Tourettes-Fueled Screams Of “Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol!" And It Certainly Is The Case That The Only Reason It Wasn’t The Worst Thing Of The Night Is That Kat Was Forced To Sing The Poorest Written Song Of All Time – Taylor, Living For The City

All I can say to that is, "Word." Though the quote from the song is, "Cause where he lives, they don't use colored people."

I can't hear "Living for the City" without remembering the insert -- where the brother gets 10 years in prison for being caught with a package of drugs handed to him by a stranger shortly after arriving in NYC -- and Stevie's final admonition:

I hope you hear inside my voice of sorrow
And that it motivates you to make a better tomorrow.
This place is cruel, nowhere could be much colder.
If we dont change, the world will soon be over.

And "Levon" is a great song, but it was written by Bernie Taupin when he was a serious writer, trying to be literary. You need drama to make this song work right, which Elton had in his voice in his youth. It's not to be confused with Elton's light songs like "Crocodile Rock" -- though Taylor Hicks clearly doesn't get it.

If you don't understand what the song means, you can't be a successful interpreter.

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.

Edited to add:

Here's the Elton song for AI

I'm Gonna Be a Teenage Idol
(Taupin-John)

Well, there's slim times when my words won't rhyme
And the hills I face are a long hard climb.
I just sit cross legged with my old guitar.
It kind of makes me feel like a rock and roll star.

Well it makes me laugh; Lord it makes me cry,
And I think for once let me just get high.
Let me get electric, put a silk suit on,
Turn my old guitar into a tommy gun,

And root-toot-shoot myself to fame.
Every kid alive gonna know my name.
An overnight phenomenon like there's never been.
A motivated supersonic king of the scene.

I'll be a teenage idol, just give me a break.
I'm gonna be a teenage idol, no matter how long it takes.
You can't imagine what it means to me.
I'm gonna grab myself a place in history.
A teenage idol, that's what I'm gonna be.

Well life is short and the world is rough,
And if you're gonna boogie boy you got to be tough.
Nobody knows if I'm dead or alive.
I just drink myself to sleep each night.

And so I pray to the teenage god of rock,
If I make it big, let me stay on top.
You got to cut me loose from this one room dive,
Put me on the ladder, keep this boy alive.

I'll be a teenage idol, just give me a break.
I'm gonna be a teenage idol, no matter how long it takes.
You can't imagine what it means to me.
I'm gonna grab myself a place in history.
A teenage idol, that's what I'm gonna be.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •