The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"A question for any Canadians out there"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

CutsyTootsy 1795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-25-05, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"A question for any Canadians out there"
I've been cleaning out my closets and I came across a box I put in there many, many moons ago. In it is wedding presents I didn't know what to do with- like six sets of cups and saucers that don't match anything. The only thing they have in common is that they all came from people my dh's grandmother knew in Canada. Do you know if giving a cup and saucer as a wedding gift is a Canadian tradition? The people were from either the Edmonton, Alberta area or the Winnepeg, Manitoba area. Thanks!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: A question for any Canadians ou... frisky 03-25-05 1
 RE: A question for any Canadians ou... PepeLePew13 03-25-05 2
 Reference... IceCat 03-25-05 3
 RE: A question for any Canadians ou... Bobdechemist 03-25-05 4
   RE: A question for any Canadians ou... CutsyTootsy 03-26-05 11
   RE: A question for any Canadians ou... Wheezy 03-27-05 13
 RE: A question for any Canadians ou... CutsyTootsy 03-25-05 5
   RE: A question for any Canadians ou... ginger 03-25-05 6
 RE: A question for any Canadians ou... strid333 03-26-05 7
   RE: A question for any Canadians ou... cqvenus 03-26-05 8
 RE: A question for any Canadians ou... Swami 03-26-05 9
   RE: A question for any Canadians ou... CutsyTootsy 03-26-05 10
 Another Canadian checking in northernlights 03-26-05 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-25-05, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
Hi, Cutsy, and welcome. Have I *sniffed* you yet?

I am Canadian, and know not of such a tradition. Only thing I can think of is that gramma inexplicably told these people you collect cups and saucers.

We Canadians go for the typical, traditional wedding gifts, like those beer bottle organizers you put in your fridge, or bongs.

The world is my litterbox.
*sniffbutt*

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-05, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
Well, I don't think it's a particular Canadian tradition or anything like that as I've been to weddings where there wasn't a single cup-and-saucer set (I know, I've asked while comparing wedding gift stories) ... but in my first wedding, we got FIVE cup-and-saucer sets and we only invited 60 people to ours.

Second wedding to Pene? Not a single cup-and-saucer set, even though we invited twice as many people as I did in my first one. Did get a much better variety of stuff...

Scratch and sniff

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Reference..."
... to an engagement gift tradition:

http://www.wedalert.com/content/wedding_advice/archived.asp?topicid=24&topic=Gifts&count=39

Q: I have been invited to an engagement party for my hephew and his fiance. My question is have you heard of a tradition of giving the couple a cup and saucer as a gift for their engagement. I have heard of this but do not know the signifigance of a cup and saucer. I have a lovely one with wedding vows stamped on the side, I don't know about giving it to them without knowing why I am doing so. They surely will wonder. Is it appropriate of me to give them this?

A: A cup and saucer is always a nice gift for the engagement. The cup siginifies a full life of love. The saucer will catch the love that overflows to be poured back into the cup. I think it is a perfect gift especially with the vows stamped on the side. However, you may also wish to see if they are registered anywhere as well.

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-25-05, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-05 AT 11:37 AM (EST)

The traditional Canadian wedding gift is generally maple syrup and ice sculptures. The ice sculptures are then used to decorate the area surronding the honeymoon igloo. They are also used to tie up the husky dogs and cariboo so they do not eat one another.
In the spring (July 2-3) the sculptures melt. If they haven't melted by the end of summer(July 5), then the couple must get divorced unless they wish to undertake the seal blubber ritual. Most choose divorce.

I don't know anything about cups and saucers.

edited to add: Hello and Welcome! You'll like it here. Just stay away from the strange animals.

03-26-05, 08:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
thanks for the tip!

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-05, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"

Hey bob?

I cariboo you.

03-25-05, 12:01 PM (EST)
5. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
See, I knew some super smart OT person would know the answer to this! I do like the Canadian traditional gifts as well and I'm not sure I've been *sniffed* before, but go right ahead...

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-05, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
She likes spanks and catnip toys.

Welcome! Even though I am not from Canada.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-26-05, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
It is customary to give a cup and saucer to the pianist of the wedding. (But I'd rather have cash.)

Three is the perfect number.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-05, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"

heh... you said "pianist."

~ cq

hi and welcome

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-05, 12:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
Were they old people?

Once upon a time, a nice cup and saucer set was considered a nice default gift when you had no idea what to give someone.

Once upon a time, Canadian women used to meet for regular coffee neighborhood klatches and these cups were actually used. Admiring the cup (and noticing any new cup) was part of the conversation. My mom had a bunch of cups (several of them gifts from me) and they were all lovely.

As a child I remember sitting in on many of these morning coffee meets, and loved to overhear the adult conversation--neighborhood gossip, politics, books read, etc. It sounds positively Victorian now, and come to think of it--it was a very civilized thing to do.

On the practical side, it is very nice to have a variety of different cups when serving tea or coffee to a bunch of people. You always know which cup is "yours."

A nice English China cup & saucer set is not a cheap gift either--the good ones can be pricey.

03-26-05, 08:24 PM (EST)
10. "RE: A question for any Canadians out there"
as a matter of fact they were older people. They knew my dh's grandparents before they moved to the US.

When I got married we registered for all this stuff (that we barely used) but that matched. Seems kind of boring now. I kind of like that these are all different.

Now, what tea should I serve?

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-05, 08:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Another Canadian checking in"
Waaaay back in 1978 when I got married I received a number of cup and saucer sets for shower presents. They came from my Grandmothers and Great-Grandmothers and I still treasure them. I only wish I had somewhere to display them. They've been hiding out in the cupboard above my fridge for years.

To my knowledge I don't think they are as common now. After the passing of each of my Grandmothers I've inherited more cup and saucer sets.

Welcome to OT! I really am nice, ask Buggy.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •