The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Some Interesting Data"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-27-06, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Some Interesting Data"
I compiled this to respond to a post on the Hidden Agendas thread, but it seems like there is enough data here to warrant a thread of its own. Here is a week by week listing of who sang first (the kiss of death spot), who sang last (the pimp spot), who was booted, and the bootee’s spot in the singing order. (I said bootee. Heh.) I’ve also noted if the person in the kiss of death spot was in the bottom three.

The thing that jumps out at me is that, despite all the early pimping, the producers never put Kellie in the pimp spot in the finals. Taylor is the only remaining contestant to not get a pimp spot in the finals (and he hasn’t had one since Semi-Finals Week One). On the other hand, counting the semi-finals, Katherine has had the pimp spot twice and Chris has had it three times.

Why should those numbers be important? Well, as seen below, while going first isn’t necessarily the kiss of death (only two of the seven voted out so far sang first, though going first does seem to increase your chances of being in the bottom three), going last does seem to carry a definite advantage. The person singing last hasn’t been in the bottom three for that week yet this season.

Semi-Finals Week One
Last: Taylor, Katherine

Semi-Finals Week Two
Last: Mandisa, Chris

Semi-Finals Week Three
Last: Kellie, Ace

Top 12
First: Ace (Bottom Three)
Last: Chris
Boot: Melissa (Sang Sixth)

Top 11
First: Mandisa
Last: Ace
Boot: Kevin (Sang Eighth)

Top 10
First: Lisa (Bottom Three)
Last: Elliott
Boot: Lisa (Sang First)

Top 9
First: Taylor
Last: Bucky
Boot: Mandisa (Sang Second)

Top 8
First: Bucky (Bottom Three)
Last: Paris
Boot: Bucky (Sang First)

Top 7
First: Chris (Bottom Three)
Last: Katherine
Boot: Ace (Sang Sixth)

Top 6
First: Katherine
Last: Chris
Boot: Kellie (Sang Third)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Some Interesting Data Magnolia_Rocker 04-27-06 1
   RE: Some Interesting Data Devious Weasel 04-27-06 2
       RE: Some Interesting Data nailbone 04-27-06 3
           RE: Some Interesting Data Devious Weasel 04-27-06 4
               RE: Some Interesting Data Magnolia_Rocker 04-27-06 5
               RE: Some Interesting Data Snidget 04-27-06 7
 RE: Some Interesting Data sylvester 04-27-06 6
   RE: Some Interesting Data Devious Weasel 04-27-06 8
       RE: Some Interesting Data sica077 04-27-06 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-27-06, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
That is very interesting DW. My question is this...Has it been proven how they pick the singing order? Is it a random draw or do the producers decide? If they do decide is it at the beginning of the week or after they see the pre-show warm-ups? I still find it hard to believe that not once in AI's history has the final performer never been in bottom three. Percentage wise it should have happened at least once.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

04-27-06, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
I've seen the producers say it was a random draw, but I've also seen them say they want to open and close the show with strong performances, which would imply some influence in choosing the lineup.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-06, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
Somewhere (mjs blog maybe) it said they do pick the order, like you said, to start and end with stronger performance or better songs or something. but the "stronger performances" idea would belie the "death spot" idea because those haven't usually been among the strongest performances, have they?

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

04-27-06, 02:28 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
I was thinking about that too. The death spot might play a factor for a couple of reasons. One, going first might increase the level of nervousness for the singer. Second, no matter how strong the first performance is, people might watch the first one, get bored, distracted, or just have something come up to pull them away from making the call to vote.

This would be the exact opposite of why going last helps - you get to vote for the person who sings last a couple of minutes after that person sings. You get to vote for the person who sings first almost an hour after that person sings.

It would be interesting if they did next week, where everyone is supposedly going to sing two songs, in serpentine order - 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1, so the person who sings first is also the person who sings last.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-27-06, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
Only problem with that is the last one to sing the first song gets zero time to rest before going right into the next song. The first one to sing can go hang out on the beach for a bit before they have to sing again. Not really fair to everyone.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-06, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
I agree. I think they probably chose performances that could start and end the show with a bang, probably putting the strongest of the two last as you want to end the show with people being happy.

I do think the nerves of going first and that you get compared to each performance or peole forget your performance. We often see forgettable is more of a vote killer than memorable but bad. The last slot assuming you do a good job will be preferable to the first spot no matter how good a job you do with it.

Imaginary friends by Bob!

sylvester 555 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-27-06, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sylvester Click to send private message to sylvester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
Hey Weasel, thank you.

I think this was in response to my post in that thread.

I wanted to say Nigel has admitted they pick the order each week. That's one of the many reasons I said they're pimping Chris HARD.

It wasn't just that they gave him the pimp spot AGAIN. It was that, along with the special lighting, along with the 2, count 'em 2, guitarists on stage with him, along with the judges over the top love fest.

04-27-06, 04:04 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
I don't see the two guitarists or the lighting as something Chris would get that others wouldn't get if they were doing the same song. Kellie got the lighting for Bohemian Rhapsody. Didn't Taylor get the solo side musician for one song too? Course, Chris had it before as well, for What A Wonderful World. I think those are aspects they do for the sake of the show, not the sake of the artist.

Not that those things don't help - Bo's acapella song last year is still a highlight from that season - but they help only if the singer pulls it off. I think something like going last or first can help or hurt no matter what the singer does.

sica077 523 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-27-06, 11:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sica077 Click to send private message to sica077 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Some Interesting Data"
>I don't see the two guitarists
>or the lighting as something Chris
>would get that others wouldn't
>get if they were doing the same song.

I agree. I am not familiar with exactly how the decision is made on lighting and whatnot (the singer or the producers), but I know for a fact that during at least one of Katharine's performances the judges commented on how the lighting was just *perfect*. So, I think that the contestants throw out their ideas and the producers "yay" or "nay" it. Like I said, that is just speculation, I have no proof. On that note, does anyone know who decides? Now I am curious....

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •