The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Vacation Time Shares"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-20-05, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Vacation Time Shares"
Forgive me if this topic has been covered but I tried to search the archives and kept getting an error message that the web site I was trying to reach was unavailable.

Anyways, I just returned from a trip to Vegas. My DBF and I agreed to go on "one of those tours" to get $100.00 to gamble. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I bit and bought into a time share. The company is Fairfield's Fair Share Plus and my home resort is the Fairfield Grand Desert in Las Vegas.

My 'share' includes a membership in RCI.

There is so much to think about. Timeshares years ago were so restrictive but I've been promised that the newer ones, and this one specifically (of course), are easier to use and can be used for any location. I can start a reservation up to 10 months in advance and can do single days (with a small fee of course).

I have until Friday at midnight for my right of withdrawal and return of my money.

HELP me please!!!

!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Vacation Time Shares TechNoir 01-20-05 1
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-20-05 3
       RE: Vacation Time Shares Devious Weasel 01-20-05 6
 RE: Vacation Time Shares seahorse 01-20-05 2
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-20-05 4
 RE: Vacation Time Shares rasslinmomma 01-20-05 5
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Devious Weasel 01-20-05 7
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-20-05 15
 RE: Vacation Time Shares rasslinmomma 01-20-05 8
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-20-05 16
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-20-05 21
 RE: Vacation Time Shares tig_ger 01-20-05 9
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-20-05 17
 RUN! HobbsofMI 01-20-05 10
   RE: RUN! Lasann 01-20-05 18
       RE: RUN! HobbsofMI 01-21-05 24
 RE: Vacation Time Shares Wheezy 01-20-05 11
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-20-05 19
       RE: Vacation Time Shares Wheezy 01-20-05 23
 RE: Vacation Time Shares MTW1961 01-20-05 12
 RE: Vacation Time Shares true 01-20-05 13
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Wheezy 01-20-05 14
   RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-20-05 20
       RE: Vacation Time Shares redheaded_sweetheart 01-21-05 25
   Same situation northernlights 01-21-05 26
 ONE LAST THING - Serious Advice MTW1961 01-20-05 22
 RE: Vacation Time Shares KScott 01-21-05 27
 RE: Vacation Time Shares PagongRatEater 01-21-05 28
 RE: Vacation Time Shares Lasann 01-22-05 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-20-05, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
So how much does this have you paying for a week of vacation?

01-20-05, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
The system works on points. You buy points which can be used toward vacations. I bought 210,000 points every two years (because I didn't want to invest more $) which will get me two weeks at almost any resort. The cost is $12,000 payable over 10 years. The rational was that each two week vacation, in hotel $'s would be about $700 to $1,000 each. Six years and it's paid for.

I'm not sure if the points cost for lodging can be raised. I'll go check

!

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
That's approximately 8.75 points per dollar (assuming you get 210,000 points every two years). So if a two-week stay is $1,000 per person (my assumption there based on the statement that you and DBF would pay if off in six years) than a stay is 8,750 points per person.

But that's just doing basic math without knowing what the agreement says.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Would you have bought this without the salesmen there if you had all available literature on the deal. If not it is probably not a good deal.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

01-20-05, 04:35 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Well that's the question, isn't it. The Grand Desert Resort in Vegas, which is where I bought, is so upscale and beautiful - 100 times above where we stayed. That's probably what sold me.

BTW, I love to travel and sometimes feel that I'm only working so that I can go on my next trip.

!

rasslinmomma 938 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-20-05, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rasslinmomma Click to send private message to rasslinmomma Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
I've been to a Fairfield tour. You have no idea how ugly they get if you want time to study the literature before you make a "deal." I requested copies of all that carp they kept letting me glance at, and 24hrs to review before I made a decision. Their response: NO WAY. Gotta sign up before you get the info packs. After hearing this, I refused to sign up. So then we had to be "re-interviewed" by a manager. When we refused again, because they wouldn't let us have time to read the fine print, they turned nasty. Very loudly,"Then why did you bother to come? Take them off the mailing list, NOW!"

I can't possibly imagine dealing with their customer service if I "invested" in their property and then had a problem.

You can also purchase "used" timeshares from a broker. These things drop in value like rocks, and if you really want one, you can save a fortune. But be aware, if you want to get rid of the d*mn thing, you're probably stuck.

But we did get a nice free vacation in Gatlinburg out of the deal.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 05:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Oooh, now I know why the name sounded familiar. I got into an argument with one of their reps on the phone. I said I was interested, and if they would mail me something, I would read it and send them a check. He said I needed to give them a credit card number over the phone. I said I don't give anyone my credit card number over the phone. He got angry, and belligerent, and after I hung up he called back to yell at me some more. I thought it was funny, but Blue got mad and kept calling until she was able to get hold of a supervisor who promised to give us a vacation for free.

They never did, though.

01-20-05, 07:51 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
My salesperson was very talkative and pretty pushy. Surprisingly she went to High School will my best friend in Ohio.

The customer service, as you said, is probably an issue. I called my salesperson yesterday to answer some questions before my cancellation date and she hasn't called yet.

!

rasslinmomma 938 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-20-05, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rasslinmomma Click to send private message to rasslinmomma Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
LAST EDITED ON 01-20-05 AT 05:25 PM (EST)

This lady wasn't happy with hers, customer no-service at it's finest.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/rebuttalForm.asp?id=125756#report

Also, the BBB online gives the Las Vegas Fairfield Resorts an unsatisfactory for 2 or more unanswered complaints. BEWARE!

I love a martini -- but two at the most. Three I’m under the table; Four, I’m under the host.

01-20-05, 08:02 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Thanks, I just read the complaint.

!

01-20-05, 08:19 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Oh goodness - what to do?

New sigpic? Just when I know everyone by their sigpic they change. I must watch Survivor for a complete season once.

My weakness is still Big Brother. Luckily it's only on once a year.

!

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-20-05, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
A friend of mine bought a time share from Fairfield's in Las Vegas two years ago. I have no idea if it is the same program, and I kind of doubt it, as there are so many different Fairfield time shares in Vegas. Anyway, if you listen to my heresey, he's very unhappy. It might be because he couldn't find anyone willing to purchase his timeshare when he wanted to sell subsequent to his divorce. He was told that there is oversupply in the Vegas market. Many people swear by timeshares, but I don't know that I would purchase my "home" timeshare in Las Vegas, based upon that information.

A Kittyloaf Original

01-20-05, 08:03 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Thanks for the info. I know timeshares are hard to sell I guess I was hoping not to have to sell mine.

!

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RUN!"
LAST EDITED ON 01-20-05 AT 05:51 PM (EST)

I've had four friends buy time shares in LV, Disney World, Hawaii, and Black Mountains. All of them want to dump them and all of them can't or had to sell it for pennies on the dollar.

My advice....RUN!

01-20-05, 08:04 PM (EST)
18. "RE: RUN!"
Recently?

!

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 00:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: RUN!"
I think all four where purchased over the past 4 years. 2 couples either don't use them or can't get days they want or can't get switched to other properties for when they want to go. I tried calling and finding out what companies for you but no answeres. If I hear I'll post it. So they have been trying to sell and one sold for about $5,000 when they paid about $50,000 to get in, Disney. The other I think is still on the market after all this time, Black Mountain one. One had to sell due to divorce so that will bring it down but it was in LV and they were told that if they sold within the first 5-years the company would buy it back at the same price minus x amount of dollars for the use. Lie, sold at half after 1 year. Last couple had one kid, conseved on that trip, and another kid 10 months after that one. Now can't afford it and again trying to sell but can't get anything near what they want so friends use it and pay all the fee's for the past 2 years, HI, plus airline tickets are not cheap to there as they were and that is a major expense going there.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 05:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Do you have rights to the last minute vacations and the RCI cheap deals?

That's what makes it worth it to me. It's the extra stuff. I find vacation deals for my family and friends (no, not you people, I don't trust any of you) often. Many hundreds (thousands) of cities around the world. Two years ago I was able to get 2 condos in Cancun for a week in December, one for us and one for our friends. Cost was $169 each. For the whole week. On the ocean. No hotel tax.

When I find a week for someone else, I don't have to be present to check in, and there's no extra charge for me to put it in their names. Totally legit. And I can book as many of those 'extras' as I want. We've done florida for between $99 and $250 for a week in some NICE 2-bedroom condos.

Also, don't forget to consider the property taxes you pay, if any. I'm not sure how the points system works--I'm a 'weeks' member. I get one week a year free, which I can take at the location where I purchased, or I can exchange it with another resort anywhere.

Also, with 'points', do you get the deed to a unit? We have a deed to ours--we'll pass it down to our kids if they want it someday.

We really thought about this ahead of time a lot, and did research before we bought. We told the sales-guy that we didn't want one of the newer units, we wanted an old, cheap one. They don't usually come right out and tell you about those. And it's not like we'll go there all that often--we knew we'd trade it pretty much 3 out of 4 years. So while the new phase condos were going for $12-14k, we got ours for less than half that. Same resort, older building, still very nice unit. Who cares. We go there for the weather, not to hang out inside a room.

01-20-05, 08:14 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Just what I wanted to hear - a good story. There are no property taxes in Nevada which is a plus.

Yes, I have rights to the last minute vacations and RCI cheap deals. And yes, I get a deed.

Your experience sounds just like the sales pitch I heard. Easy exchanges, ability to give points to friends and family and not be there to check in.

Honestly, my excitment about buying in Vegas is the fact that I've always wanted to spend New Year's Eve in Vegas and I'll be able to (hopefully if my salespitch is true). I checked the website and there are approximately 50 1 bdrm suites still available. I can book up to 13 months ahead at my home, so I should be able to spend quite a few NYE's there. If I keep it I will book NYE immediately. It takes a little more than 1/2 my points for this year.

As you can tell I want to keep this but am overwhelmed by the "bad" I hear.

Thanks for your imput!

!

01-20-05, 08:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"

I think the problem lies here:

People who are impulse buyers splurge and regret

and

People who only use the one week a year get taken.

If I knew I'd only make one trip a year, I wouldn't have bought. But we do two or three, and in addition book two or three for friends.

Granted--you won't be able to get a cheap deal over Christmas or Spring Break unless you use your points. But for us, that didn't matter. In fact, when I was working in real estate, I couldn't be gone in December or March/early April, so the more off-season times were when we could go away. Worked out perfectly. With RCI, you can go to Florida for $150 a week just about any time you want from October through about December 20, or Jan/Feb. My Florida week is week 10 of the year, which usually falls early March--perfect for us. (although now that we moved to AZ, I can see us using our week and the bonus weeks more for family than ourselves).

Ask yourself: Can you afford it? And will you travel more than once per year?

If yes, it's probably a good deal.

Wheeze * Wheeze's Blog

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-20-05, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
With all the stories here and elsewhere about people trying to dump their shares for pennies on the dollar, I think I would try to buy from someone trying to dumotheirs instead of buying a brand new share at a high pressure sales pitch.

You could always trade points/ shares to get to your favorite resort.

Handcrafted by RollDDice!

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 06:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
LAST EDITED ON 01-20-05 AT 06:43 PM (EST)

My parents bought two weeks through Marriott, several years ago. They've never been back to their home resort, in Palm Springs, I belive it is. They've used it for trade to go all over the world.

I *love* it! Only because I get to use the "getaway" deals, and I don't have to pay the taxes or upkeep fees. (they do!) We're going to Orlando in a couple weeks, and will stay at a 5* 3BR full condo resort for the price of a discount hotel. I'd find it hard to travel any other way, now.

Theirs sounds very similar to what Wheezy has.

I've been on some of those tours, and I'd rather have all my teeth pulled than sit through another one. They can be brutal. The exception, Marriott. They don't do pressure sales. Their resorts are top quality, and you can exchange, or book other resorts for a HUGE discount, through Interval International. (I'm not sure if that's the same as RCI)

I'm not familuar with Fairfield, so I'm afraid I can't say if they're good or not. You should be able to find some reviews online, someplace.

Good Luck.

01-20-05, 06:59 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"

Yes, True--it sounds similar. And our sales person was no pressure. We walked out of there without buying, and told him we would be back if we were interested. He gave us our free tix to Disney and we had a blast. No pressure.

So we worked the numbers and I'm really happy with the situation. We've more than paid for it in what we saved, and I love to find good deals for others.

Since then, I've gone to a presentation or two. I tell the salesperson right up front (sweetly)--we already own one, we won't be buying a second, and we're just here for the free tickets you offered. Would you like to give us your spiel or can we take the tix and go? I've never had anyone get mad at me for that. I imagine they are grateful not to waste their time.

Wheeze * Wheeze's Blog

01-20-05, 08:15 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Another success story!

Thanks

!

redheaded_sweetheart 276 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-21-05, 08:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail redheaded_sweetheart Click to send private message to redheaded_sweetheart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
We're happy with our too. We own in Gatlinburg, but have had no trouble trading when we want to go elsewhere. We've always been treated very well and stayed at VERY nice places.

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Same situation"
My parents own three weeks in a cute little condo in the Tampa area. They started with one week when Mom was still teaching and then as they became available on either side of that week they bought two more. They go back every winter and have made some great friends there. We've gone with them twice and each time had our own condo through trades they made. They've also gone to a couple of RCI places in Ontario and once to the Smoky Mountains.

They love it and have never had any problems making trades or banking weeks. They also have a deed and will be able to pass it on to their children when they're gone.

My SIL & BIL also have a time share until in Florida that they've never been back to but they have been to a number of resorts in Ontario that belong to RCI. As far as I know, they're very happy with their time share as well.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-20-05, 08:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "ONE LAST THING - Serious Advice"
Serious Advice - I promise.

1. Read ALL the fine print and make sure you understand it. If something they promised is NOT THERE in black and white, BACK OUT while you can!!!

2. You have the power now - for a few more hours. The deal will be there next week if they are legit. If questions remain, BACK OUT, then when they answer your questions and revise the agreement to your satisfaction, you can start the purchase again.

3. Verbal agreements are RARELY binding in real estate contracts, so don't allow them to promise something they won't write down.

Good Luck

Handcrafted by RollDDice!

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-21-05, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KScott Click to send private message to KScott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
DH and I bought one 5 years ago. We use the Interval International. You can stay a week in a 3 bedroom condo for the price of 2 nights in a hotel. We used our points when we went to Florida last year, but mainly just use the exchange program. We bought our through Branson, Missouri but never use it there. We paid for our in full when we bought it but it was alot cheaper then that it is now. The only thing I hate is the 300.00 per year maintenance fees.

- Sliced!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!"

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
Just skimming through the thread it seems pretty apparent that you should get out. There are lots of (well some) good companies out there that do timeshares, so why get involved with one that does have a bad reputation. I have talked with MVCI (Marriott Vacation Club International) and Disney, and I had no such problems. I have a very good friend who has an MVCI timeshare and is very happy and has used it to go to lots of other locations including Hawaii on short notice.

Personally, I think that it is good to look closely at any of the major hotel chain timeshares. They seem to have a different take on the business and are more hospitality minded and responsive.

01-22-05, 04:09 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Vacation Time Shares"
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-05 AT 04:12 PM (EST)

Thanks to all who responded. I'm sure you all won't be surprised that I decided to keep the time share. I did consider the resale etc. but am hoping not to resale.

The exciting thing is that I've booked our week in Vegas over New Year's next year - a 1 bdrm deluxe (deluxe means jacuzzi). I've always wanted to spend NYE in Vegas. That took 154,000 of my 210,000 points for this year. We hope to go to Arizona and New Mexico, Utah this spring. I have an elderly aunt in a the Phoeniz area I want to see and I've not been to New Mexico or Utah (will only do the southermost part). I have a goal to visit all 50 states. Maybe we will use the rest of the points or maybe I'll bank them to RCI to use next year.

My states yet to see are Oregon, North Dakota, New England above New York, Hawaii and Alaska. Oh, and Oklahoma.

Place I have to see again are LA, San Francisco, NYC. I absolutely think San Franciso is "almost heaven". NYC I've only been in the Broadway area.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

"Edited to correct grammer and spelling - not to say it's perfect now!

!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •