The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is Roger racist?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cathy the Canadian 599 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-03-03, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is Roger racist?"
or being portrayed as racist? First we had the Rudyesk, "Gay isn't natural" conversation, and then, did anyone notice when he was talking about lazy bones, he said he wanted to karate chop him?

Just wondering what you guys think - is he being set up as a bad/racist guy, or am I reading too much into things?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is Roger racist? dabo 03-03-03 1
   RE: Is Roger racist? DeadInTheWater 03-04-03 4
       RE: Is Roger racist? dabo 03-04-03 5
 RE: Is Roger racist? dajaki 03-03-03 2
   RE: Is Roger racist? ivoryElephant 03-04-03 3
 Playing Devil's Advocate SurvivinDawg 03-04-03 6
   RE: Playing Devil's Advocate ElroyJetson 03-04-03 8
       RE: Playing Devil's Advocate SurvivinDawg 03-04-03 10
 Everyone is racist... ElroyJetson 03-04-03 7
   RE: Everyone is racist... SurvivinDawg 03-04-03 9
 This sums it up SurvivinDawg 03-04-03 11
   RE: This sums it up dabo 03-04-03 12
       RE: This sums it up SurvivinDawg 03-04-03 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-03-03, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is Roger racist?"
Roger is a homophobe, definitely, though in the intollerant range of the spectrum rather than the hateful extreme. As far as racism goes, Roger grew up with the Vietnam War, and a lot of anti-Asian racism was fairly common back then, so it may be unconscious on his part that "karate chop" had racist implications. I'm more concerned about his being so violence-prone, you know. But no, you are not reading too much into things, Roger is an ism-matic player, and a bit of a B.B. as well as Rudyesque.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

DeadInTheWater 51 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-04-03, 01:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DeadInTheWater Click to send private message to DeadInTheWater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Is Roger racist?"
According to Roger's bio, not only did he grow up with the Vietnam War, but he served there during his military career. That leads me to think his comment was racist in nature.

03-04-03, 02:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Is Roger racist?"
uhh.... Yeah, that's what I meant! Demonizing the enemy during war was/is SOP, really, and the longer the war the more ingrained it seems to become. Not that that is any excuse, but it is a different context than being genuinely racist (with which it can coincide, obviously). Clearly, then, Roger is a warmonger as well as being an ism-matic homophobie and bossy. And that's on his best behavior .... Where does MB find these guys!!!

ARRRRRRR!!!!

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-03-03, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is Roger racist?"
I also think that Roger, being in a camp largely full of younger, stronger, taller men, is trying to stay as tough looking and sounding as possible. He doesn't want anyone to doubt that he could open a serious can of whoop-a$$ if he wanted to do so.

I don't think he's necessarily a racist, but he is a doofus.

ivoryElephant 2257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

03-04-03, 00:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ivoryElephant Click to send private message to ivoryElephant Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Is Roger racist?"
Roger=Racist

"To the other three out there, break a leg.... and I mean it." - Helen Glover

Congratulations Alex winner of S6

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-03, 07:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Playing Devil's Advocate"
First of all, I really think the word "homophobe" is a misnomer. The "phobe" part means "fear", and I don't think Roger *fears* homosexuals. He just thinks that homosexuality is wrong, in accordance to the religious values he obviously holds. In fact, his attitude that sex is only for procreation reinforces my evaluation of his values and attitudes.

Second, I don't care to start or get into a huge debate on homosexuality here, as that has already happened here and elsewhere. Having said that: Call Roger a bigot if you want, but last I checked he's an American and has as much right to his opinion as the rest of us.

Third, yes I think MB is portraying him in as bad a light as possible. Since MB doesn't have any black men to abuse in this fashion, he goes for Roger.

Fourth, as to the "kung fu chop" statement: While some of you see that as an ugly, bigoted statement, and while I do think Roger said it with the knowledge that Daniel is Asian, I think Roger was actually meaning it as a half-humorous, half-frustrated play on words. Now if YOU (yes YOU reading this) hear the words "kung fu" and you DON'T think of Asians, then you obviously haven't seen any movies that clearly "stereotype" Asians as being practitioners of the martial arts, from Bruce Lee to Jackie Chan. So while I'm not defending Roger, and he may be predjudiced against Asians, I don't think it can be automatically assumed from that one statement.

Fifth, and last, someone suggested they were worried about Roger being "violent" because of the kung fu chop remark. Come on, all of us have gotten angry at someone and thought "I just wanna kill that guy!" or "I just wanna slap the crap outta that person!", etc. Of course, very few of us act on the principle. Roger was just expressing frustration with Daniel's laziness and refusal to work with the group. So let's not paint Roger with a wide brush as a homicidal maniac just yet...

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-03, 08:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Playing Devil's Advocate"
Amen to your second point SD. Roger only has to tolerate homosexuality. He doesn't have to accept it or condone it.

03-04-03, 08:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Playing Devil's Advocate"
To nit-pick: He doesn't really have to tolerate it being thrown in his face, either. And he clearly didn't in the show by expressin his beliefs and arguing with Alex about it.

What he does need to do is look after his own molehill and let the mountains take care of themselves.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-03, 07:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Everyone is racist..."
...to some degree. It is genetically encoded in us to be comfortable around those that are like us and to distrust those that are different. From the days of the barbarians, celts, visigoths, american indians and britons thru the middle ages to today. People will go to war and kill each other JUST because they are different. Look at Bosnia.

Not to condone Roger's behavior since in polite society we should look beyond our differences and not point them out. However, we are KEENLY aware of our differences. Its what defines us and makes us individuals.

If you think you are not racist, you are kidding yourself. How do you feel when you are in a strange neighborhood? How do you feel when you walk into a room full of people that aren't your race? You see, its programmed. And unfortunately, no amount of congressional legislation can change how we are wired. But its up to us to try to look past it.

Again, there are degrees of racism. Maybe we can call Roger a "blatant racist" or an "over-the-top racist." But we are all racist.

Just my two cents....

03-04-03, 08:23 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Everyone is racist..."
I think you mean to say that everyone is "predjudiced" in some way.

Racism is defined by Merriam-Webster Online as "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

Predjudice is defined as "an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics" (among other definitions in a more legal sense).

So the two are slightly different.

And what I think you're REALLY trying to say is that everyone discriminates in some way. When we go to the store and buy one product over another, we have discriminated. When we buy one model of car over another, we have discriminated. When a boss hires one person and not another, be it for experience, merit, family ties, or ethnicity reasons, that boss has discriminated. Obviously, some discrimination is better than other types.

I am not a racist, I don't believe that Georgia Bulldogs are inherently better than everyone else (but on the merits they are ). Okay, more seriously, I don't think that one race of people is "better" or "worse" than others. But I do have strong prejudices against anyone who refuses to work and/or refuses to use his human mind for productive work or the betterment of himself and his life. (Note: "his" being non-gender-specific there).

03-04-03, 09:34 AM (EST)
11. "This sums it up"
LAST EDITED ON 03-04-03 AT 09:36 AM (EST)

I think this pretty well sums it all up:

Edited to add: I meant this to be a link to the pic, not the pic itself. Sorry about that. Credits to GalacticCowGirl, whose site is really hilarous.

03-04-03, 09:50 AM (EST)
12. "RE: This sums it up"
Way too big, can you just describe it for those of us who find the download drag a major bummer?

03-04-03, 11:07 AM (EST)
13. "RE: This sums it up"
Like I said, I meant for it to be a link, not the actual pic. Sumimasen.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •