The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Serious Question about AI- maybe someone can help me out"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

agent210 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-15-06, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agent210 Click to send private message to agent210 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Serious Question about AI- maybe someone can help me out"
I am in CA and I am so appreciative to the EC contigent for posting what happens on the show so I can decide whether or not to watch.

I do not understand how Melissa is rated as "good" by Simon when she forgets the words, why Kevin is in the competition in the first place??

My questions are this- What is wrong with the judges this season? And has the show ONLY BECOME about looks and personality and NOT SINGING?? I have thought this in the past but this season REALLY seems like they just want good tv( hence Brenna and the guy who did Barry Manilow)

of the 12 people there, I would say that 7 can REALLY SING! The rest should not be there.. I dont know how they picked the top 24?? Most of those people could not sing??

Am I missing something?? is my 36' large screen tv ( that is only 3 years old) already out of tune????????

Someone help me out because I am becoming increasingly less interested in this show as people who should not be there continue to be!

thanks

agent

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Angelfood's Anaylsis Angelfood 03-16-06 1
   RE: Angelfood's Anaylsis Snidget 03-16-06 2
 RE: Serious Question about AI- mayb... ElroyJetson 03-16-06 3
 RE: Serious Question about AI- mayb... geekboy 03-16-06 4
   RE: Serious Question about AI- mayb... agent210 03-21-06 6
 RE: Serious Question about AI- mayb... selah 03-16-06 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Angelfood 2114 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-16-06, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Angelfood Click to send private message to Angelfood Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Angelfood's Anaylsis"

Shoot,
count ourselves lucky that there are even 7 great singers this season. Other seasons have been worse, imho.
The problem is the end of the Hollywood round - we are never told/explained why certain people didn't get through. Like April, for instance. Now, one thing I personally approve of is that they most likely filter out the people with big attitude problems. But they do seem to showcase their favorites, and hide others. Some people have discussed the producers efforts to help the best by putting the mediocre through. I dunno.

The other HUGE problem is that the public has probably SEEN the massive life-enslaving Contract that they have to sign. If I were going for a music career, I wouldn't want to sign that thing, unless I really, really, really wanted a season on tv and had no better option. That's why they don't have enough talent.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-16-06, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Angelfood's Anaylsis"
Yep I remember most seasons having about 3 people that can really sing. I didn't really hit the mute during any of the top 24 like I usually had to in past seasons, so I think this season is actually better talent-wise than most of them have been.

You would think they could find more great talent, but like Angelfood said, the contractual issues probably keep anyone who feels they have a good shot by traditional means from trying out. You get mostly people too young to know better and those that have been performing for awhile but never caught a break. Sometimes the never get a break people are really good but overlooked because they can't move to the right market, or don't have the right look. Some of them never caught a break because they aren't good enough.

Imaginary friends by Bob!

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-16-06, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Serious Question about AI- maybe someone can help me out"
I think one thing that is overlooked is that these guys really CAN sing...BUT...once they get to Hollywood the pressure hits them and a certain percentage choke. Only certain type of people can handle that kind of pressure.

This season, I think Elliott, Kevin, Melissa, and Ace are suffering from this pressure. On the other hand, Paris, Taylor, Chris, and Mandissa are thriving on the pressure. Look for your winner in this group.

Remember that D'Mato woman a few seasons back? She was a bowl of jello out there.

-- Elroy Jetson

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-16-06, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Serious Question about AI- maybe someone can help me out"
OK, let me address your questions as best i can. This is simply my take on your questions, and please understand that I readily admit i'm an AI junkie. I do love the show and have watched every season.

You ask if the show is just about looks and personality. I respond by saying if that is try, why is Kevin on the show? Why is Elliot on the show? And Mandisa? Those three, for example, do not match up with what the average American would define as 'good looks and personality'. The show is simply about finding teh best undiscovered talent in America and let America vote for the winner.

I think all of the final 12, and for that matter all of the final 24, can fairly be called 'good singers'. IF they weren't they wouldn't get there. Now, once you get down to the nitty gritty, every person watching has their own tastes, and their own ability to pick out which are good, versus grest, versus amazing. Also, we as the average watchers truly do not have a grasp as to which would be marketable, which would be able to handle the pressure of a record contract, which would be able to handle the pressure of "fame".

I think the three judges, and those behind the scenes, included these factors ALONG WITH the person's singing ability. There may be truly amazing singers that don't get to the final 24, but there are only 24 spots, and the judges/producers want to fill those spots with the people that can truly handle it all - in their judgement.

Also, you and I probably can't imagine the stress and pressure that comes when you get to the final 12 and are in the main part of the competition. Look at Kellie - she crumbled this week. As did others. It is incredibly intense.

re: Brenna. She did sing well in the auditions and in the Hollywood rounds, but once she got on teh big stage in front of the cameras she couldn't handle the pressure. I think the same can be said for Bobby who did Manilow. He had a good voice, and was a good entertainer, but it turns out he totally sucked at song selection and couldn't handle the pressure.

Overall, i think you're looking at it in somewhat of a simplistic view. We're just fans who watch on TV and we're not in the business.

Yes, some of it is about good TV, but overall i do feel it about finding the best undiscovered talent and making teh next star, like Kelly Clarkson.

I hope i made sense and answered your questions.

geekboy

agent210 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-21-06, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agent210 Click to send private message to agent210 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Serious Question about AI- maybe someone can help me out"
Thanks for everyone's analysis of the situation.

Like geekboy I have been watching it from season 1 and like most shows that start out good often times they become a victim of their own success.

Take Survivor, I watched the first season because it was new different and captivating. The people on the show DIDNT KNOW what to expect so they showed true emotion. They were also people of different shapes and sizes, which was also cool.. Now that Survivor is in season 312 it seems that most people are on there for fame and tv exposure. ( Disclaimer, I stopped watching after season 3 because the people became boring and uinteresting because I think that was the season that everyone was a model, actor or trainer.)

So I wonder if on some level if the same has happened to AI?

Regarding the business aspect, good points raised about the contract they have to sign, choking under pressure etc.. Those pieces didnt occur to me but I still think that GOOD TV ( ie the auditions) is what keeps people watching and helps them keep making money.

Geekboy, you are also correct that what is good singing to one is not to another just like looks and intelligence. Kevin isnt traditionally good looking but he is 16 and many think he is "adorable" so he does have the vote of teens and others who like the chicken little look.

Sites like votefortheworst who are trying to have Kevin win to show that the show is a sham, are bizarre at best.

I can only HOPE that a good singer will win this contest. I was not a fan of Fantasia and Diana DeGarmo. I think Latoya London should have won that year. Fantasia is another R&B singer who will never have the appeal the way Kelly does. It will be interesting to see if Carrie Underwood breaks out of country/

As an aside, anyone seen her interviewed lately? she thinks ALOT OFHERSELF now..not nearly as humble and nice as she once was.

selah 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-16-06, 09:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail selah Click to send private message to selah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Serious Question about AI- maybe someone can help me out"
my thinking on this is that when they were picking the final 24, they purposely put in 12 who were interesting but not nearly as good at singing as the 12 they wanted to make the final 12.. of these final 12, six are far above the others in presentation and voice, which leaves six who will be eliminated not threatening the six who are to go through to the end..

but for some reason they are pushing Kevin and perhaps he is the key to dividing the six excellent singers from the bottom of the pack.

hope this makes sense.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •