The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Wise OT: Advice needed"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-06-04, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Wise OT: Advice needed"
I'm going through some serious anger this morning. I'm writing because I know many of OT's illustrious members had some bad experiences in life & can maybe relate & offer some advice.

My sister has been married for 16 years to a very bad man. He was a spoiled rich kid with some hidden issues. He has continually been mentally abusive to my sister and now to their three boys. He is slightly physically abusive. I know he's grabbed & shoved my sister & the kids enough to leave bad bruises. He kicked my sister once and tore one boy's arm out of his socket by grabbing him so rough. He has severe emotional and mental issues and blames everyone else for his failures as a husband, father and employee. He can't hold a job, tried to move to CA to sell his "screenplay" (gag), but lost his money in gambling along the way. When he left, they sold the house to pay off debt, she filed for divorce, and moved into an apartment. Now, he's back. A few weeks ago he had an explosive tantrum, telling my sister "you're gonna die" & started smashing furniture. She didn't call the cops. NolayC did the next day when we found out. His court hearing is in Jan. My sister let him back in the house & thinks he's going to change...that this scared him straight. As a side note, she's tried "leaving him" two other times in these 16 years.

We've financially helped (providing jobs for my sister, some family members loaning money), helped her move, helped her file divorce papers (I spent a day at the courthouse with her), called the police because she didn't have the guts to, and offered legal advice (DH knows the courts well because of his job).

I'm at my wits end. How can I continue to speak to her & pretend everything is ok? I don't even want to see her, but the family Christmas Eve celebration is coming up this month & I still have a minor working relationship with her.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed txmomma26 12-06-04 1
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed weltek 12-06-04 11
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed txmomma26 12-06-04 16
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed foonermints 12-06-04 29
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed Glow 12-06-04 2
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed weltek 12-06-04 6
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed Glow 12-06-04 12
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed MTW1961 12-06-04 3
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed TechNoir 12-06-04 4
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed weltek 12-06-04 8
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed HistoryDetective 12-06-04 14
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed PepeLePew13 12-06-04 18
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed weltek 12-06-04 23
           RE: Wise OT: Advice needed PepeLePew13 12-06-04 25
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed Wheezy 12-06-04 35
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed true 12-06-04 5
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed dabo 12-06-04 7
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed weltek 12-06-04 9
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed dabo 12-06-04 37
           RE: Wise OT: Advice needed PepeLePew13 12-06-04 38
               RE: Wise OT: Advice needed dabo 12-06-04 40
           RE: Wise OT: Advice needed weltek 12-06-04 39
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed PagongRatEater 12-06-04 10
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed Jep1974 12-06-04 13
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed NolayC 12-06-04 24
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed Jep1974 12-06-04 31
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed dabo 12-06-04 15
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed NolayC 12-06-04 19
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed dabo 12-06-04 21
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed NolayC 12-06-04 17
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed txmomma26 12-06-04 20
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed PepeLePew13 12-06-04 22
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed NolayC 12-06-04 28
           RE: Wise OT: Advice needed PepeLePew13 12-06-04 34
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed weltek 12-06-04 26
       RE: Wise OT: Advice needed NolayC 12-06-04 27
   RE: Wise OT: Advice needed newsomewayne 12-06-04 32
       Indeed weltek 12-06-04 36
           RE: Indeed NolayC 12-06-04 47
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed DoodleBug 12-06-04 30
 Do not ignore her. syren 12-06-04 33
 I was trying to find someone... northernlights 12-06-04 41
   RE: I was trying to find som... weltek 12-06-04 43
       Works for me! northernlights 12-06-04 44
   RE: I was trying to find som... NolayC 12-06-04 48
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed Lisapooh 12-06-04 42
 A few thoughts PhoenixMons 12-06-04 45
 RE: Wise OT: Advice needed Captain_Savem 12-06-04 46
 From the children's point of view. skye 12-06-04 49
   RE: From the children's point of vi... NolayC 12-06-04 50

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

txmomma26 5825 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail txmomma26 Click to send private message to txmomma26 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Take her to an abused women's shelter for counseling. If she cannot see what is going on, there is little that you can do for her at this point.

And as for Christmas Eve and work, I'd wait to see how she reacted to the women's shelter and counseling.

Copyright 2004 SyrenSigPics with modifications by Beav

12-06-04, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Nice suggestion, but I can't even get her to fill out a form for free health insurance through the state. She was supposed to start counseling with the family this month, but decided not to.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

12-06-04, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail txmomma26 Click to send private message to txmomma26 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Yeesh. Okay, now I see your anger and raise you an "ire".

Don't know what else to tell you, but hang in there and try to remember that she needs all the love and support (emotional) she can get.

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I agree with txmomma. Professional counseling is really necessary. Putting her in touch with other women who have been abused may give her a sense of help and empowerment so she can stop being a victim, and stop having to make believe everything is 'fine'. So sorry! Best wishes *hug*

Handmade by the incredibly talented Syren

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I'm just curious...why would you have to pretend everything is okay? She needs your support. She doesn't need you to deny there's a problem too.

12-06-04, 12:19 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
It's not me that pretends everything is ok, it's her. I ask how things are when I speak to her & she tries to blow it off as "he's trying this time."

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
No, I know. That's what I mean. You asked in your original post how you were supposed to pretend everything is okay. You're not because it isn't.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-06-04, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Wow, this is so sad. If it were me, I would focus on what was necessary to be helpful to the three boys. Obviously, she's made her pathetic choice, and if she wants to be abused you can't stop it or help her get away from it anymore than you already have. Obviously, you've done everything possible in that regard.

If having her around during Christmas will keep you closer to the boys, then you suck it up and act politely to her regardless of how you feel. If the boys are in danger, see if there's any way to intervene on their behalf.

Don't vent your true feelings or exclude her if it will result in her shutting you out of her kids' lives too.

Another Mon Cherie masterpiece!

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
You won't like my answer.

Just ignore it. Don't help her. Don't tell her what to do. You've done that.

She is choosing this life. Whether you like it or not, it is her life. If you are sure that he is abusive to the children, you could call social services -- but please, be very sure. Otherwise just be polite. (Read Miss Manners, if you must )

The family -- all of it -- deserves a decent holiday NOT entirely focused on her family and their problems. They've gotten quite enough attention from all this. And enjoy your Christmas.

"Won't someone think of the children?" - King Kaufman

12-06-04, 12:22 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Actually, I was hoping someone might suggest that, because I'm starting to feel like it's the only thing to do. The kids are what worries me most. Agreed, she's made her own choice. The kids don't have a choice. By calling the police last time & telling them that before the throwing furniture incident, he'd shoved one of the boys down (mys siter told me this-she didn't see it happen earlier that day while she was gone-the kids told her it happened), we'd hoped social services would have to get involved. Not sure that's happening.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I have to agree that your sister has made a choice and there is not much you can do about it. If knowing that her husband treated one of their children so roughly as to remove his arm from its socket was not enough to convince her that the guy is bad news, then nothing you could say is going to have an impact.

Don't lecture your sister or do anything else that might alienate her. Try to maintain a good relationship with her so you can keep an eye on how the children are being treated. Your sister may consent to this type of abuse, but the children have not.

I know this doesn't sound very constructive, but there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to "fix" the situation if your sister continues to insist that there is not a problem or that all the bad stuff is in the past.

a sig by syren

PepeLePew13 26138 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I'll agree with Tech on this. You've tried your butt off to help your sister and she doesn't seem to be receptive towards it.

I'd suggest one of two things.

1) If other people in the family are aware of the problems, maybe you all (starting with the parents) should tell her that the husband is not welcome to attend the family's Christmas gatherings. This opens up a few cans of worms and could bring some anger from him, but the family would be united as one and your sister would realize the family is supporting HER.

2) I prefer this option... if you or anyone in the family actually witness him abusing the children, no matter how minor, call children's services immediately and don't worry about his feelings. The kids need to be protected and safe. Like Tech said, you've got to be really sure that they *are* being abused by him.

©Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
Scratch and sniff

12-06-04, 12:44 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
My other sister already made it clear he's not welcome. I've tried to be the supportive sister through all of this (my other sister has a hard time hiding her true feelings & has come off as the lecturing older sister). I'm just sick of pretending I'm not angry at her.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

12-06-04, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Understood. Maybe it's just time to let it go and actually be angry with her but make it clear that you'll still be on her side and will support her no matter what.

It'll feel good to release some of that anger, then you'll feel better supporting her afterwards.

Scratch and sniff

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
She wise, the Tech.

*blush*

Thinking about you, Weltek and NolayC

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I can understand why you're angry! I have no experience with this type of situation (thank goodness), but I'm worried about the children involved. If your sister refuses to help herself, I'm not sure what you can do. I'm just wondering if there isn't some way to make sure those kids are safe. I'm sorry you're having to face this, Weltek, and all I can really offer you is a big hug. I'm sure some of the smart peeps around here will have more helpful information for you.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
He's not going to change without some major psychotherapy etc., in fact he'll probably just keep getting worse. Get the guy out of your sister's life as much as possible. Immediately.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0449906442/103-9408516-3658243

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0897932838/103-9408516-3658243?v=glance

http://awap.netfirms.com/hbw.htm

12-06-04, 12:23 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
What a great idea, Dabo! I soooo think I'm getting her these for christmas. She may be offended, but hey, this is more helpful that the other stuff she wants.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

12-06-04, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Hey, guess what I found on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3204&item=5540521197&rd=1

Normally I wouldn't recommend resorting to something like this, but out of control bullies are basically cowards.

12-06-04, 02:13 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I'm sure Nolay can probably have access to something like this, considering his job... ZAP!

Scratch and sniff

12-06-04, 02:16 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Yeah, but Nolay has rules he has to follow, he'd probably get in trouble if he just happened to leave some police property laying around which a victimized woman might find useful for her own personal defense.

12-06-04, 02:16 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Suuuuhhhhweeet!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
My mom was in several relationships and one marriage that was exactly like this. Unfortunately there is almost nothing that you can do that will convince her that he won't change (he won't), that he is ruining her life (he is) and that she and the kids would be better off without him (they would).

The only thing that you can do is be there for her and love her unconditionally. I know that for my mother the condemnation of my father by her family only left her with no choice but to give him chance after chance.

In the end, she will have to make that decision herself and until she does it simply isn't going to change.

I know that it is painful to watch someone you love make mistakes, and then continue making the same ones even after you think that they have finally learned their lesson, but she needs your love and the support of the family more now than ever. Someday the strength of that love and support may make her strong enough to do what she needs to do, but I fear that she has been excusing it so long that she will have a very hard time accepting that truth.

In the meantime, I would advise her that any re-acceptance for him has to be conditional - counseling, getting a steady job and no more abuse. If she CAN'T do it for herself, she has to do it for her children. That's why my mom left in the end.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers, and prayer is one other gift that you can give your sister as well.

Sorry for the rambling. I hope it helps.

how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven times.

Jep1974 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-06-04, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jep1974 Click to send private message to Jep1974 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
If your sister is open to it, help her construct a safety/exit plan. This would consist of what she will need when he explodes next. (Hidden cab fare, speed dial programmed with police/shelter, suitcase for her and the kids). Any shelther will have samples, as will the net, or any book on the topic. The abuse she has survived thus far has not been minor, and likely, you have not heard it all.

The most dangerous time for her is when she leaves, and with the pending court case, this is certainly not an easy or safe time for her or the kids.

Although you are frustrated, you clearly love her. Right now, she is likely feeling very ashamed and alone. If you can, continue to be there for her. This is not as clear cut as you might think.

Just letting her know that you will be there for her will help; I agree with Glow, don't ignore the situation. If it is possible however, do not judge her. She is likely feeling crappy enough about herself as it is.

Good luck with it. Sending you much needed strength.

Sig pic thanks to the brilliance of ever-wonderful Survey!
Been away a week; DH was left in charge. I think there is a house left under all the rubble, but I am not sure.

NolayC 1251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-06-04, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NolayC Click to send private message to NolayC Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Good advice Jep, it's exactly what we (DSIL & I) went over.
She lives across the street from the PD, all of the guidance counselors are informed of the situation in the schools.
She has identified three residences she could go to if things got bad--Thanksgiving she took the boys and locked them in a bedroom with her overnight...of course it was a hollow core door that just about anyone with the desire to could come through.
So that's taken care of. She just needs to stop letting him back in.
This guy has caused more murderous thoughts in my head than anyone else in a long time.

Handcrafted by RollDdice. Do you know why they call it Veal? Because it wouldn't sell if they called it "Dead Baby Cows".

Jep1974 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-06-04, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jep1974 Click to send private message to Jep1974 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Murderous thoughts... Rightfully so. It must be very frustrating for you all to be feeling that there is little you can do to help. But, by just letting her know you love her, you are helping. By doing EXACTLY what you are doing, you are helping.

He isn't going to change. And, hopefully, at some point, she will find it within her to close that door, once and for all. Unfortunately, it's a long, drawn out, and painful process. Not only for her, but you all as well. On average, a woman will leave 7 times, before making it final.

In the mean time, I would strongly caution AGAINST couples counseling (he evidently does not care about the rest of his family, thereby making couples' counseling moot). If at all possible, get her to see someone on her own, and have the kids go to someone also.

Sig pic thanks to the brilliance of ever-wonderful Survey!
Been away a week; DH was left in charge. I think there is a house left under all the rubble, but I am not sure.

12-06-04, 12:36 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
What does the dumbdumb do for a living, they might need one of him somewhere nice and remote and maybe he could even send your sis some childcare checks.

http://www.ajcn.state.ak.us/

Click to EMail NolayC Click to send private message to NolayC Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Would you believe a used car salesman?

Handcrafted by RollDdice. Do you know why they call it Veal? Because it wouldn't sell if they called it "Dead Baby Cows".

12-06-04, 12:43 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
ohmyheck

17. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-04 AT 12:49 PM (EST)

Since I'm directly involved in this I'll add my thoughts. I'm a mandatory reporter, and so far she has shielded me from the abuse of the children to avoid me having him arrested. When I knew full well that she had been hurt, she begged me not to do anything...and I didn't. So when she called weltek knowing full well I'd have him arrested, and I did, I thought she finally "got it". I talked with her for a long enough time on the phone and in person.
He will be convicted--I'm quite confident. He will probably get probation--he'll take jail if he's smart, because *I* know I will be contacting that PO to make sure they have the...big picture, but in the end it'll be an enhanced misdemeanor with no chance of prison.
DSIL wants this situation to be over, and for him to leave her and the kids alone--or at least she did the last time I talked to her. He-the one who would be better off with a bullet to the head-is willing to terminate his parental rights (TPR hearing not withstanding)which the courts would probably grant, because hey, he never was more than a sperm donor so why should he have to pay for his kids right? I? hate this guy, so much.
eta--spelling when emotional is bad.

Handcrafted by RollDdice. Do you know why they call it Veal? Because it wouldn't sell if they called it "Dead Baby Cow".

20. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I was wondering how you, being in law enforcement, fit into the larger picture. What kind of jerkoff is this guy that he continues these actions KNOWING his BIL is a cop!?!?!?

22. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
You sound like an ideal BIL to have... want to be my BIL?

Scratch and sniff

12-06-04, 12:55 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Yea know Pepe, that helpful neighbor, BIL, older brother persona is what I use in my work and is the justification I use to keep doing my job when it's crummy.
Of course when that doesn't work, I have a controlling side that takes over--and although quite effective, it's needs to be kept in check.

12-06-04, 01:48 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
That's alright, you sound like someone who respect when others know to do the right thing and we'd get along just fine in that regard. I wouldn't give you too many reasons to go off and beat the crap out of me.

Scratch and sniff

12-06-04, 12:48 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
Yes, she wants him to leave, but doesn't want to take the steps to make it happen on her end. I know, textbook behavior from abused women. I thought by us taking the step of having him arrested that it would be the stepping stone she needed (the proverbial straw that broke the camels back). Not so.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

12-06-04, 12:50 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-04 AT 12:51 PM (EST)

Well it will, because he will either A) go to jail for 9 months (ok with good time it's 6 months 23 days), or B) get probation for 3 years and have a no contact order in place and if he violates it, see A). We just have to wait for the slow wheels of justice to creep along.

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-04 AT 01:36 PM (EST)

I had my "advice" ready before I got to your posts, Nolay C, but now that I know you are in law enforcement, I don't know how feasible this is. I'll ask anyway.

Couldn't you just take the dipstick out-back and beat the ever-living sh!t out of him? I'm sure you've considered it. Sorry for the language, but I have no respect or tolerance for jerks that put their families in these types of situations. So, could you do it without jeapardizing your own job and family?

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Yeah, little people do all the work and a fat, bald guy takes all the credit.
Lit up by Syren, 2004

12-06-04, 01:56 PM (EST)
36. "Indeed"
We happen to know someone we call "Psycho Bob" & have considered enlisting his services. Psycho Bob was a former Marine Corp. Recon Sniper & later worked for a "private security firm" where he'd disappear for weeks at a time to foreign lands & never had a good explanation for why he had to go on these "business trips."

Surely Psycho Bob would know how to take care of my jacka@@ BIL.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

12-06-04, 04:27 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Indeed"
Ahem...please edit post to remove identifying information...
"Bob" would not appreciate...and I? would not want to be on his bad side.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I'm agreeing with Tech. Leave her alone. You have done all you can. The rest is up to her, unfortunately.

Maybe you could offer to take the kids for a while? I would want to get them out of the situation ASAP.

Maybe a family intervention is needed this holiday. If everyone is on her case in a united front, then maybe she will actually listen.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.....

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "Do not ignore her."
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-04 AT 01:48 PM (EST)

As some of you may know I work closely with victims of abuse. All types of abuse ranging from hate crime victims to battered people.
Do not ignore it. Right now, more than ever she needs your support. Most vicitms of Domestic Violence feel humiliated, worthless, and that for some reason they deserve the abuse that they are suffering from. These are normal reactions for victims of abuse. While she may not express to you that she feels any of these it is more likely than not that she does.
Although I agree that it has to be her choice to leave, you both are taking the right steps towards intervention. She knows that you are a mandatory reporter, that may be her cry for help and the window that she needs but could not say that she needed.
Because you are so close to the situation you may want to contact your local Womens shelter to get advice, and to speak to others who have gone through the same things that you yourself are feeling. They will be able to offer alot of insight as to what you can do to support her, help her, and to learn how to listen and help without making her feel worse about the situation.
I know that it is hard to not scream "why don't you get out." However, most of these women (and sometimes men) really do not know how without feeling bad themselves for the situation. Abuse is about power and control. There is so much more mental than physical that goes on, even when they are being hit. The support that you give to her right now, may be the determining factor on whether she leaves. It can help ease her feelings of isolation.
You have said that people have helped her, with money and moving. There are area programs to help with that. Instead when she calls for financial help, go with her to these organizations. Sometimes your presence can make all the difference.
Here are some links to help you and her with this.
http://www.ndvh.org/index.html
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/help/dv.htm
http://www.peekabooicu2.50megs.com/domesticviolence.html
Since the children have shown signs of abuse, call the dept of health and human resources or the dept of women and children in your area. She may choose to stay for herself, but that is not a choice that the children should have to deal with.
Listen to her, and even though you may want to judge her for making the decisions that she has made, don't, at least not to her. It can make it worse.
Help her plan a get out plan. With numbers for emergencies and places where she can go. There are programs that have dontaors of cell phones for this purpose.
If she still refuses, give her information for him. There are lots of programs to "reform" those who abuse. While I am not saying that they work, while he is in them, she can work on getting out.

Love doesn't hit.

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "I was trying to find someone..."
...who would trade me siblings, but maybe I'll just hang on to my brother a little longer.

Wow, sorry that you have to go through all of this Weltek. I can relate to just wanting it all to go away so you can enjoy the holidays. You're in a terrible position but I think Nolay seems to have the situation as under control as is likely possible. I agree with Tech that you should just do nothing. You've done everything you can and there's nothing else to do for now.

So this Nolay guy? Would you be interested in lending him out to help me deal with Little Brother's (LB) problems? LB (36 yrs old, married 10 yrs, has two kids, owns his house) recently got charged with Assault w/deadly weapon. His story? The people that just build a house beside him this summer are asshats and tried putting a fence up on little brother's property. Not only that, they built a deck in the back yard and now LB can't sit in his back yard. They also put their bathroom window directly across from LB's kitchen window. Imagine! LB came home one night and saw a metal post marking where the fence was going, pulled the post out and threw it on the ground. Neighbor called police and had him charged. He goes to court in January.

One of my friends is a police dispatcher and knows LB's neighbors. She says that they have always been nothing buy nice to her and doesn't picture them being total asshats. She has been helping me make some kind of sense out of this mess. I asked her a couple questions about the situation because I'm quite confused. LB swears that nothing else happened but I know what he's like. He always thinks people are out to get him.

~ is seriously considering skipping Christmas with the in-laws this year.

12-06-04, 02:57 PM (EST)
43. "RE: I was trying to find someone..."
Wow, I think you and I should just run away & have our own Christmas drinking festival.

I'm sure Nolay would be happy to lend advice!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "Works for me!"
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-04 AT 03:24 PM (EST)

Wanna come hide out at the cottage with me? The minute the turkey dinner is done on Boxing Day I'm heading there and not leaving until the 4th! I could promise you a no stress, no sibling environment. Oh ya, and lots of booze.

My SIL asked me today about going to their place for New Year's Day. My excuses included a) can't leave the cottage for that long or the fire will go out and we'd have to warm the cottage up all over again, b) New Year's Day is not usually a particularly active day for me, and c) I just plain don't want to go.

12-06-04, 04:54 PM (EST)
48. "RE: I was trying to find someone..."
I? do not come free. But I give advice...
A) Police Report-find out for yourself the he said/he said.
B) LB seems to have an anger issue as it is, if he has a pending court case he may be more willing to look at interventions which may help his case-counseling and meds? The whole "He always thinks people are out to get him." is concerning and he should talk to someone with letters BEHIND their name, instead of Officer, Agent, or Constable in front of theirs.
Red flag me for anything further if you wish.

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-04, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
You can't do anything for your sister until she is ready. I know it's hard to see them like that but until she wants help - you can't help her.

Give her copies of two books (both by Melodie Beattie) CoDependant No More and The Language of Letting Go. They will be lifesavers to her when she is ready for them. After that, let it go as much as you can.

Don't pretend things are ok - don't make excuses, and don't listen to hers either. It's hard I'm sure because of her kids - let them (and her) know there will always be a place for them to go temporarily if they need it.

Also, if you are a spiritual person, pray. Try not to let this drama define the holidays for your family.

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

12-06-04, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "A few thoughts"
First, my mother-in-law was severely physically and emotionally abused in her second marriage. She'd been one of those women who'd always said "how could anyone not leave the first time". She couldn't believe it when she was in an abusive situation herself. Well, her situation is different from your sister's in that she tried to leave many, many times, but he'd threatened her life and she was scared for her boys' safety. He'd never touched them, so she just sort of figured she'd deal until she could figure out how to leave without his knowledge (he had people keeping tabs on her so that if she tried to leave, he'd find out).

Anyway...as for your sister, I have to say that being there for her, regardless of how difficult it is, is important. Victims of abuse need their family's support and even though to you it seems like she's just letting this happen, it's not usually that simple. There are all sorts of reasons people stay with abusers, probably most often it's because they just don't know anything else and they are terrified of leaving. I'd be willing to bet that there's a certain amount of pride involved too - unwillingness to admit that you've made a mistake, unwillingness to admit that your relationship has failed, etc.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep being there for her. I can only imagine how much worse things would/could get if she thought no one was there for her. I am sure it will be difficult, but she needs your support even though you feel like you're smacking your head against a brick wall. Yes, she does need to want help to get it, but at the same time, she needs people around her who are supportive. She's obviously made attempts to leave in the past (filing for divorce) so it's not as if she's just been taking it and thinking it will get better the entire time, right?

I don't know, I just don't think I could just let her be. I'd think the last thing she needs is more people who look down upon her.

I don't think you should pretend everything is okay even if she is. Reassure her that she doesn't deserve his treatment and it's okay to be scared and that you can't imagine how difficult it is for her but that you hate to see her suffering, etc. Perhaps subconsciously you are projecting your disappointment, anger, etc. to her. She's going to be much more likely to respond to you if you express your concern for her without lecturing her, etc.

I'm really sorry your sister is in this situation. I can only imagine through some of my mother-in-law's stories just how horrible her life must be. She's got to constantly lie to herself to make herself feel 'worthy', let alone projecting to others that she's okay. It's just really, really, hard. I hope you guys can figure out a way to remain there for her emotionally and assure her that when she's ready to take any other steps toward letting go, you will help her.

*HUGS* and all that to you and your family.

Captain_Savem 3731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

12-06-04, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Captain_Savem Click to send private message to Captain_Savem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Wise OT: Advice needed"
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, just that I agree with Tech (yeah, I know, "big shocker"). Then, after the holidays let her know that if she wants to go down this path again, she's on her own. And you're going to get those kids out of there. Let's see if that will scare her straight. Best of luck!

The Evolution Continues...

Sending {{{{{Good Thoughts}}}}} your way.

skye 2261 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

12-06-04, 08:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail skye Click to send private message to skye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "From the children's point of view."
This might be TMI about me but after growing up in a similar environment I can't even convey to you the fear that these children must live with. Never knowing when or why he'll strike them next.

If you can't appeal to her for her own safety, then something must be done to protect the kids. Whatever it takes.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

12-06-04, 09:10 PM (EST)
50. "RE: From the children's point of view."
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-04 AT 09:13 PM (EST)

Skye it's not TMI, I have a very dear friend who grew up in a horrible family situation, and is now 30 and has only recently began to deal with the issues of his own abuse. He IS the reason I'm still in this fight, because I could not look him in the eye and say I gave up on those kids--who I really don't like that much, I'm sure it has everything to do with their current upbringing, but I as a person, their uncle, do not LIKE those kids as much as my other niece and nephew.
Their are just so many issues wrapped into this situation. DSIL is a rape victim who never reported it, blamed it on her dad partially, and has had male trust issues ever since. DumbA$$ BIL was the first guy she really dated afterwards and has been under his tumb ever since. First nephew was born as DABIL was a chronic THC smoker and the boy has aspergers? a form of autism. So a needy child in that already chaotic situation just didn't help. The next boy came a couple years later and mimiced many of his older brother's issues, and has issues with cutting and spacial issues- but when alone is SUPPOSEDLY a good kid. The third boy was born after another make up session--because we all know having a child HELPS a bad situation--and he is pretty normal and good as DSIL was(has been) on top of the bad situation she's in, and started getting support from her two sisters.
I, as a law enforcement professional, have a HUGE problem with seeing a situation unfold itself infront of me, knowing the end result and seeing an otherwise intelligent woman completely not get it. I want to swoop in and just take control, but unfortunately I can't. So I sit on the sidelines chomping at the bit. Knowing I can make DABIL's life a living hell--if nothing else just to make ME feel better--soon.

On behalf of weltek, I thank you all for your opinions and advice. OT is great for that. I would like to generally say I have control of any given situation, but sometimes it's nice to hear other opinions as well

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •