The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"According to some it's pretty intense"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-16-04, 08:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"According to some it's pretty intense"
Just giving y'all a little article from yesterday's Trib TV mag - it's kind of interesting. And, at the end there's more cousin bashing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/printedition/chi-0408150493aug15,1,3000922.story

The 'Race' is on
Teams turn cutthroat in thrilling series

By John Crook
(copyright) Zap2it
Published August 15, 2004

Maybe it was the recent Emmy win that did it, but CBS' "The Amazing Race 5" has shaken off its dubious reputation as a critically acclaimed underachiever to become one of the summer's biggest hits.

The Tuesday-night series, which routinely wins its time period this time around, has electrified viewers over recent weeks with a competition that is far more cutthroat than anything that played out over previous editions of "Amazing Race."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As "Race 5" enters its final handful of episodes, some of the teams already eliminated are talking about the intense psychological toll the players must endure as they chase one another around the globe.

"I wasn't prepared for the mental and psychological stress of it," says Dennis Frentsos, part of the very first team eliminated. "It was just very intense, and I wish I could go back and prepare for it."

The amiable Frentsos, teamed with girlfriend Erika Shay, found himself vilified by other teams early on when he tried to buy tickets for another team as well as themselves (which is not against the rules).

"Suddenly I was a 'scumbag,' and that made me distraught," he says.

"We let them get under our skin," Shay admits. "Then Brandon and Nicole jumped the line waiting for taxis right near the end, which put us in last place unless we did the same thing to someone else."

"I just wanted to play things fair and ethically, because that's how I went into the race, and I stood by my word," Frentsos says, explaining their decision to accept the last cab and last position on the first night.

If Frentsos and Shay got off on the wrong foot, figuratively, father-daughter teammates Jim and Marsha McCoy did so literally, as Jim tripped over a nail almost right at the starting line and fell, badly injuring his knee.

"I don't think it slowed us down," he says. "The pain wasn't a big factor, but it got infected and had to be treated behind the scenes. I remember wondering what I would do if the infection got worse, because I wasn't willing to lose a leg to this."

As viewer favorites entering night three, the McCoys' saw their luck run out when an airline clerk's error kept them off a crucial flight, a setback from which they could not recover.

The previous week, the "bad girl" of the race, "Big Brother 4" runner-up Alison Irwin, and boyfriend Donny Patrick nearly came to blows when his poor map skills lost them valuable time. That was compounded by his insistence on taking a bus instead of a cab late in that round. They came in last.

"If we had taken a cab instead of that bus to the pit stop, we would have come in third," Irwin says. "I made a mistake and I let Donny think." (The couple later broke up, and Patrick was unavailable for comment.)

All team members interviewed say viewers generally get a very accurate impression of how the race really unfolds, although Marsha McCoy had one bone to pick with the editors.

"All of America thinks I'm a midget-hater because ... I apparently snubbed Mirna and Charla (a little person) when they wanted to work together," she sighs. "What you didn't see was that just 20 minutes before we had been running to catch a ferry and they had been yelling to the captain, 'Go, go, go! Leave 'em!' We didn't trust them, but unfortunately, the audience didn't see why."

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: According to some it's pretty i... trigirl 08-16-04 1
   RE: According to some it's pretty i... sittem 08-16-04 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

trigirl 2851 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-16-04, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: According to some it's pretty intense"
that worries me that they were edited out that about Mirna and Charla. I hope that doesn't mean that we (the viewers) are not supposed to like this team....that could mean they do well. It seems like a lot of the other teams don't like Mirna so I wonder what else she has been up to that was edited out.

ps. Sittem, how is your tri season going? Mine has been great!

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-16-04, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: According to some it's pretty intense"
yeah - I worry about that also. I sure hope they aren't in the final three, much less winning it all. I think they've been edited with a lot of stuff out there so far and people have been taking that and liking or disliking. For me it's the latter to the max. However, if the brothers observations last week were accurate, then by and large everyone dislikes them and my worry level increases because there should be/could be more to give us that would put them in a negative light.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

glad to hear about your season - my stinks! my heaviest two days of training are weekends and it's been an extremely busy summer. Then, I had a sprained ankle that took over three weeks to come back from, then not longer a strained hammy that still bothers me...oh well...I shall return

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •