The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Has a team ever finished 1st on 3 consecutive legs?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

buscemi 414 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-11-04, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buscemi Click to send private message to buscemi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Has a team ever finished 1st on 3 consecutive legs?"
The way C & C are dominating, there's a very good chance that they will win their 3rd straight leg in a row. In fact, if Christie hadn't choked (literally) during the caviar eating challenge, they likely would have already won 3 in a row.

So, Amazing Race experts, can anyone tell me if a team has ever won 3 consecutive legs of the Amamzing Race? I remember Team Guido dominating in the early stages of TAR1, but I'm not sure if they won 3 in a row. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if a team had won the last 3 (or more stages) of a previous race, but I just can't remember. Anyone know?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Short Answer, Long Answer, and Hist... FFantasyFX 08-11-04 1
   RE: Short Answer, Long Answer, and ... seahorse 08-11-04 3
   RE: Short Answer, Long Answer, and ... buscemi 08-12-04 5
 RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on... toad8098 08-11-04 2
   RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on... seahorse 08-11-04 4
 RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on... mikey 08-12-04 6
   RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on... buscemi 08-12-04 7
       RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on... FFantasyFX 08-12-04 9
   Discussion, More Stats FFantasyFX 08-12-04 8
       RE: Discussion, More Stats mikey 08-13-04 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

FFantasyFX 1028 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-11-04, 11:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Short Answer, Long Answer, and Historical Comparison"
Short Answer: No.

But it wouldn't be quite as much fun if we left it at that, would it. I thought it might be interesting to compare Colin & Christie's early performance to that of past TAR racers. To recap, C/C have finished 7th, 6th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, and 1st on each respective leg of the race so far. This puts them in line to break several records, including total number of first place finishes (Current Record: 4) and consecutive first place finishes (Current Record: 2). I'm breaking down the analysis of the top teams based on series.

TAR Classic

Rob & Brennan lead the way here. While several teams mustered three first place finishes, they were the only team to reach four. Except for the fourth leg (6th place), they also never finished below 4th place.

Frank & Margarita also did very well. Three first place finishes, and they never finished below fourth place, except for the fifth leg (5th place).

Joe & Bill never finished below 4th place the entire race, but only had one first place finish to their credit.

Both Rob & Brennan and Frank & Margarita had two first place finishes in a row.

Amazing Race 2

Only Oswald & Danny and Tara & Will managed two consecutive first place finishes.

While several teams stepped in with three total first place rankings, no team matched Rob & Brennan's four.

Tara & Will were also surprisingly the most consistent racers. Throughout the entire race, they never finished lower than fifth place.

Final note: Much to my surprise, Chris & Alex (the eventual winners) were saved by two non-elimination rounds. I had forgotten this tidbit of information, and I think this plus their average ranking puts them a notch or two (or five) below Rob & Brennan.

Amazing Race 3

Derek & Drew, Teri & Ian, and Ken & Gerard all got consecutive first place finishes. Derek & Drew also matched Rob & Brennan's record of four overall first place finishes.

Interestingly, Flo & Zach were potentially the most consistent team in the race. They never finished below 5th place. However, they also were saved by two non-elimination rounds.

Finally, Jon Vito & Jill are vastly overrated in my opinion. In the ten legs in which they competed, they only finished in the top four three times (a 4th, a 3rd, and a 1st when they used the Fast Forward during a surprise non-elimination leg). I suppose there is something to be said for consistently scraping by, but I don't see how they can be considered one of the best teams of all time.

Amazing Race 4

Surprisingly, David & Jeff also managed to notch four first place finishes. They also are the only team to double the feat of finishing first in two consecutive legs.

Reichen and Chip were the most consistently good team. Except for the first leg (9th place), they never finished below 5th in any subsequent leg.

In fact, Christie and Colin can take heart in the fact that all the top teams had rough starts in this particular edition. Besides the eventual winners, Jon & Al only mustered 7-6-6 in the first three legs, David and Jeff were an abysmal 10-5-7-6-6 in the first five legs (which further illustrates their dominance in the later legs), and Kelly and Jon managed 6-3-8-7 in the first four legs.

Implications?

Given their competition and the number of legs remaining, I think Colin and Christie have a great shot at breaking the total first place finish record and outside chance of obliterating it. Next week, they'll try and become the first team to finish first on three consecutive legs. I'm not a fan of Colin, but I think one has to admit that he's running circles around his opponents right now. Based on other factors (editing), I don't think C/C will end up winning, but out of all the teams that remain, I would be most shocked if C/C are not in the final three.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-11-04, 11:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Short Answer, Long Answer, and Historical Comparison"
Great work, I am sure that took some effort to come up with. Thanks a lot for the effort. Very inyteresting information.

ŠSlice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

08-12-04, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail buscemi Click to send private message to buscemi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Short Answer, Long Answer, and Historical Comparison"
Great work. Thanks for all the helpful information.

toad8098 199 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-11-04, 11:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toad8098 Click to send private message to toad8098 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on 3 consecutive legs?"
No sure if this should be moved over to spoilers?? but anyway..

I have to agree in saying the C & C probably won't win. The way CBS raved on how good this season ended up and how they rushed to make #6, I think the outcome(winners) will be someone unexpected(Bowling Mom's??) and will be very exciting come the last couple of episodes.

Besides the first TAR, this is by far my most favorite!!!

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-11-04, 11:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on 3 consecutive legs?"
This is old information. Spoilers is for future un-aired episodes.

ŠSlice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings

08-12-04, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on 3 consecutive legs?"
Difficult to compare the number of first place finishes this season to previous ones because of the scarity of fast forwards this season. The first place team is, the vast majority of the time, the one that got the fast forward. So, in terms of dominance in past seasons you can really count a second place finish when there was a fast forward involved as a first place finish, and pretty much ignore a first place finish when it was based on a fast forward.

Another interesting comparison across seasons -- teams that have never come in last in a leg (even a non-elimination one). Ian and Teri had a whole bunch of second-to-last place finishes, but I don't think they were ever last in any leg including the last one. Perhaps Reichen and Chip and Rob and Brennan never finished last either, but I am not sure.

08-12-04, 11:46 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on 3 consecutive legs?"
That's a good point about the Fast Forward. I hadn't thought of that, but it certainly does tarnsih C & C's finishes a bit.

Also, what the heck is up with the Yield this season? Is anyone ever going to use it?

08-12-04, 08:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Has a team ever finished 1st on 3 consecutive legs?"
Tangent:

I really don't blame the teams for not using the Yield. There hasn't been a need for it since the second episode when Chip & Kim and Kami & Karli were dueling to keep out what they thought was last place. Episode 3 featured Jim & Marsha far behind all the other teams. Episode 4 featured Bob & Joyce far behind all the other teams. Episode 5 featured the Bowling Moms far behind all the other teams. Episode 6 featured the Dough Boys far behind all the other teams. Why waste your one opportunity to use the Yield?

Based on producers' comments, I do think the Yield will be used in the future and if the hype is real, it'll be used in spectacular fashion. Based on editing, I really get a sneaking suspicion that C/C are going to use it on Midget and Gidget and knock them out of the game. It would be quite ironic if they needed the yield later on though.

08-12-04, 08:35 PM (EST)
8. "Discussion, More Stats"
Easy question first:

Indeed, Teri & Ian never finished last during the entire race, even counting the non-elimination rounds. This really isn't too remarkable of a feat though. Obviously, only two teams can accomplish this in any given season (the champions and the runner-ups). Of the eight teams who had a chance of reaching this benchmark, five have done so: Rob & Brennan, Frank & Margarita, Tara & Will, Teri & Ian, and Reichen & Chip. Chris & Alex, Flo & Zack, and Kelly & Jon all finished in last place on one or more of the non-elimination legs.

Harder Query:

This required some more research. I initially agreed with your assessment that Colin & Christie have an advantage in the first place race due to the lack of Fast Forwards. The stats really don't back this up though. Their performance these last four weeks has been pretty amazing. There has usually been one bunching point per leg, but C/C have managed to outduel the other teams and find a way to come out on top consistently. Had Christie not been stumped by the caviar challenge, C/C would have four first place finishes in a row and counting.

I was piqued by your query on how the standings would change if you eliminated Fast Forward usage from consideration. Below are the results I came up with. Amazingly, there wasn't too much radical difference. A first place stolen from one team was made up when that team used the Fast Forward themselves.

When the Fast Forward was not used/not effective, the 1st place team got credit. If the Fast Forward team came in 1st place, as they usually do (see Joe & Bill, Dennis & Andrew and Monica & Sheree for exceptions), the win was awarded to the 2nd place team.

TAR Classic:

Bill & Joe: 4
Rob & Brennan: 3
Frank & Margarita: 3
Drew & Kevin: 2

TAR Classic probably represents the biggest flip flop in the standings. Bill & Joe consistently finished second to Fast Forward winners in the early going. This is probably what made them so feared. The irony of course is that their own Fast Forward was eventually their undoing. Anyway, they rocket up to the exclusive 4-win club in this case, while Rob & Brennan fall to three.

Amazing Race 2:

Chris & Alex: 4
Tara & Will: 3
Oswald & Danny: 2
Blake & Paige: 2
Gary & Dave: 1
Mary & Peach: 1

People kept on swapping first place finishes in this edition thanks to discounting the Fast Forward. Really, not too much change, except for the fact that Chris & Alex ended up with four wins using this method.

Amazing Race 3:

Derek & Drew: 4
Ken & Gerard: 3
Flo & Zack: 3
Teri & Ian: 2
Aaron & Arianne: 1

Really, much the same here. Lost first places were made up by coming in second to a Fast Forward team on another leg.

Amazing Race 4:

David & Jeff: 4
Jon & Al: 3.5
Reichen & Chip: 2
Monica & Sheree: 1
Kelly & Jon: 1
Millie & Chuck: .83
Steve & Josh: .33
Amanda & Chris: .33

I forgot that this was the Feel Good Race. If you stepped on the mat with two other reams, I awarded you .33 credits. If you stepped on the mat with one other team, you got .5 credits. None of David & Jeff's wins came from using the Fast Forward; indeed, they didn't use it throughout the entire race.

Remarkable consistency all around, except in the case of the Guidos. So, even not counting the effect of the Fast Forward, no one has broken the four first place win plateau. Of course, Colin & Christie are set back as well under this method, since they only have two "true" first place finishes.

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings

08-13-04, 09:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Discussion, More Stats"
Excellent analysis. Most surprising statistic is that Aaron and Arianne ever won a leg, that just doesn't seem possible.

One correction -- David and Jeff did use a fast forward (a surfing rescue thing which I think was in Australia). It didn't seem as smooth as it should have been for a couple of surfer dude types.

On C/C, yes, they had a fast forward as well, but they had such a huge lead when they did that there is no doubt they would have fiinished first even if they passed it by and someone else had taken it.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •