The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-01-04, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Who is going to see "Shark Tale". There are some big name stars lending their voices to the characters like Will Smith, Robert De Niro, Renee Zellweger and Angelina Jolie. I heard the kids talking about it in eager anticipation. I bet it will do well at the box office but could do much better if released around the holidays or during the summer.

"DreamWorks follows up the phenomenal success of Shrek 2 with another computer-animated blockbuster with Shark Tale featuring the voice of Will Smith as a fast-talking little fish whose white lie gets him in big trouble ... under the sea. The studio has spared no expense in its quest to launch another money-generating franchise by hiring top Hollywood talent to lend their voices including Robert De Niro, Renee Zellweger, Angelina Jolie, Jack Black, Ziggy Marley, and even gangster aficionado Martin Scorsese. Nothing has truly excited kids since the webslinger sequel from three months ago so a massive return trip to cinemas is on the menu this weekend."

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

©Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... Estee 10-01-04 1
   RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... seahorse 10-01-04 2
       RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... Estee 10-01-04 3
           RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... seahorse 10-01-04 6
               Da Review -- fuggehdaboutit! Estee 10-01-04 20
                   RE: Da Review -- fuggehdaboutit! seahorse 10-01-04 22
   RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... desert_rhino 10-01-04 15
       RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... Glow 10-04-04 26
 **waves hand madly** anotherkim 10-01-04 4
   RE: **waves hand madly** greeneyes 10-01-04 7
   RE: **waves hand madly** LeftPinky 10-01-04 8
   Meet ya there, Kimmah Asrai 10-01-04 9
       My Eyes! My Eyes! true 10-01-04 10
       RE: Meet ya there, Kimmah greeneyes 10-01-04 11
       RE: Meet ya there, Kimmah anotherkim 10-01-04 23
           RE: Meet ya there, Kimmah Asrai 10-04-04 28
       RE: Meet ya there, Kimmah Lisapooh 10-04-04 29
   RE: **waves hand madly** PagongRatEater 10-01-04 12
       RE: **waves hand madly** seahorse 10-01-04 13
 RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... frisky 10-01-04 5
 RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... Pensha26 10-01-04 14
 RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... Jims02 10-01-04 16
 RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... Puffy 10-01-04 17
   RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... greeneyes 10-01-04 18
       RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... ginger 10-01-04 19
           RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... Draco Malfoy 10-04-04 27
       Only good thing from "Shark Tale" RollDdice 10-04-04 32
 RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... SherpaDave 10-01-04 21
 Sharks Tale breaks October Opening ... seahorse 10-04-04 24
   RE: Sharks Tale breaks October Open... PagongRatEater 10-04-04 25
 RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... blacknwhitedog 10-04-04 30
 RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale... pythonfan 10-04-04 31

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Me, in about two hours. (My upcoming work week is Saturday-Wednesday, so I get to hit the matinee today. I love my job, really I do...) It was this or Sky Captain, and somehow, computer-generated bodies on a computer-generation background doesn't bother me where real actors against 100% bluesscreen does.

10-01-04, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Let us know how it is. I know I will be asked to bring my grandson, shortly.

10-01-04, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Dunno. Are you sure you can trust the opinion of a self-confessed librul? I might flip-flop or something.

10-01-04, 10:28 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Only on animated non political films.

10-01-04, 03:53 PM (EST)
20. "Da Review -- fuggehdaboutit!"
Hmph.

Okay, here's what I thought.

'The movie's first shot shows the Dreamworks mascot dropping a worm (with attached hook) into the water. This is very probably metaphorical. Animation is a lure, plain and simple. Want to get families into the theater? Increase the popcorn sales? Guarantee at least one extended crying jag per showing? Then you storyboard it out and start looking for voice talent.

Shortly after the movie opens, Lenny (Jack Black), the veggie shark, swims up to the worm and, working carefully so as not to be seen, frees the worm from the hook so it can crawl up the line to freedom, or as much freedom as it's going to find on a small piece of string. This is very probably the wish of everyone in the audience about twenty minutes into the movie. Because you've been caught, lured in, trapped in your seat for eighty minutes by the promise of an original vision, something to keep you enraptured while the kids around you plot out their next toy begathon -- and instead, you're stuck squirming on the hook.

Not that watching this movie is anything like being impaled. But we're at least on the level of a really bad splinter.

Let's meet Will Smith, fish incarnate. There's no point in naming his character because he doesn't have one: this is Will doing Will, The Fresh Catch Of Bel Aqua. He just barely works in a whale wash, because in the hip-hop urban Times Square paradise of his underwater world, whales get covered in graffitti a lot and need to be cleaned off. Will's job is more of an inside thing, though. He scrubs the tongue, which really isn't the best place to be in case of an indigestion attack. He doesn't put a lot of effort out, unless he's getting an advance on his pay for a get-rich-quick or sweet-talking the receptionist, who likes to punch him in on time when he's not actually there. Aww...

Will isn't going to take this lousy job for long, though. He's Will Smith, and Will Smith does not sign up to play the part of someone content with a low draw from the deck. He is, in fact, going to Move On Up to the Upper Deck, to a Deluxe Apartment In The Water. He's not sure how, but he's going to. The script says so.

Unfortunately, Will works for Martin Scorsece, who is also playing Martin, and Martin is the fish rat (so to speak) to Robert DeNiro, who's playing every Robert DeNiro mobster ever put to screen. Will's reef is under occasional siege by sharks, who run protection rackets whenever they're not outright eating the citizens (which does demonstrate just how much they need protection) and doing the occasional bit of loan sharking. Will owes Martin $5000 in pay advances. Martin owes DeNiro protection cash. Therefore, Will is going to pay Martin within 24 hours, or Will is going to be zapped to death by a couple of Jamaican jellyfish whose mere presence in the film completely undoes anything positive Cool Runnings ever managed to accomplish. And that's Storyline A.

Storyline B is Lenny, credited by his character's name because Jack Black is the only person in the movie trying to do any acting. Lenny is one of Don DeNiro's two sons, and he's a nice, gentle shark who wouldn't hurt a shrimp, although he can put a major hurting on kelp. The other sharks are starting to notice, though, and a shark mobster just can't keep respect with this sort of thing out in the open. So with DeNiro getting ready to retire and hand the family business to his sons, Lenny's brother is told to take him out, give him some remedial training, and make a real killer out of him.

A and B collide, and the fallout is one dead shark, with Will lying his way into all the credit to become the heroic Shark Slayer of the reef and gain all the endorsements implied within, while Lenny can never go home again -- and so needs a way to vanish, permanently.

And this probably would have been a nice little eighty minute morality play about Lying Is Bad and Accept Your Children For What They Are, with the world's most thinly disguised 'coming out of the closet' metaphor periodically clamping into you with shark's teeth until you sawed off your own leg to get away -- if it wasn't so boring.

Once you get past the very mild enchantment of the background jokes (and while this movie will be a treat to freeze-frame to pick out just one more environment pun, the fish themselves never look anything but framework-weird), you've got a Same Old Story that could have worked with a blood-phobic human and his new buddy from down at the car wash on a much smaller budget -- to the small degree it works. Will plays a rogue with dreams bigger than his brains, but the sympathy for the position he gets himself into (and out of eventually, because he's still Will Smith) just isn't coming. Jolie's vamping will probably launch a new generation of Troy McClure Syndrome ten years down the line, but in the present tense, it mostly induces yawning. 'I've seen this character before' is the main thought for the film, immediately followed by 'plot' and 'the face of my watch', which you may look at more than the screen as the plot creeps towards its very eventual non-climax.

Is it diverting? Occasionally, a bright visual gag shines through the same-old -- a cup of coffee poured underwater stands out, as do electro-zap barnacle-killing eels -- but the storyline itself contains nothing that a thousand others movies haven't done before this -- and most of them did it better. The characters restrict everyone's acting range to the point where, instead of the usual isolation voice-recording booths, everyone could have literally phoned it in. And by the end of the film, the kids will be openly telling their parents that they don't need a Will Smith With Fin-Thrashing Action -- although they're gonna wait and see on that new Robots trailer -- and you'll leave, feeling the sting of the hook in your budget, wishing you hadn't gone after the bright, shiny colors the same way you always do.

The worm hits the water, and the parents and animation wonks alike hit the theaters. There's no way to resist it.

Resisting the DVD, on the other hand, is going to be a piece of sushi.'

1.5 stars out of four.

10-01-04, 06:25 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Da Review -- fuggehdaboutit!"
Great job on the review. I guess the movie won't be another Finding Nemo. Thanks Estee

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
I've heard only good things about Sky Captain so far, from people whose judgement I trust. Like my mom.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-04, 00:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Angelina's in it. How could it not be good?

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 09:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "**waves hand madly**"
ME, ME, ME! At the drive-in. Tonight. With the kids. Followed by Shrek 2.

I don't care if the movie sucks. It will still be fun.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--perfect weather and I washed my car and cleaned all the windows last night. I am so ready for this.

greeneyes 698 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-01-04, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail greeneyes Click to send private message to greeneyes Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: **waves hand madly**"
Me too, at the drive-in tonight with a group of people from church.

LeftPinky 4150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-01-04, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LeftPinky Click to send private message to LeftPinky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: **waves hand madly**"
Drive-in with the kids?

Doesn't this defeat the purpose?
PhoenixMons Masterpiece
My van windows need cleaning, you available?

Asrai 6083 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Asrai Click to send private message to Asrai Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Meet ya there, Kimmah"

Dearest Kimmy,

I knew you said we'd
have fun on our date,
but I didn't think you'd
be bringing the kids.

We'll just have to
snuggle really close
to make room! I am also
soooo ready for this!

Love,
Jimmy

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "My Eyes! My Eyes!"
Asrai! Ewwwww!

hahaha!

Kimmie and Jimmy sittin in a tree...

10-01-04, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail greeneyes Click to send private message to greeneyes Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Meet ya there, Kimmah"
This is too funny!

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 06:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Meet ya there, Kimmah"
LAST EDITED ON 10-01-04 AT 06:35 PM (EST)

F U, Ass Ray .

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--mean, horrible and utterly cruel.

Asrai 6083 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-04, 08:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Asrai Click to send private message to Asrai Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Meet ya there, Kimmah"
Oh Kimmah, I.HEART.YOU. so much!

A GothMog Original
Thanks for allowing me (us) to tweak ya on this....nobody else would've taken it so well! Besides, I LMAO all day over that!!

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-04, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Meet ya there, Kimmah"
I don't know whether to cry or throw up at thae thought of Kimmah and Jimmah necking at the drive in.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: **waves hand madly**"
LAST EDITED ON 10-01-04 AT 11:26 AM (EST)

Drive-in?!? I am SOO gellus!

I'll see it later today in the standard indoor theater

10-01-04, 11:32 AM (EST)
13. "RE: **waves hand madly**"
LAST EDITED ON 10-01-04 AT 06:26 PM (EST)

I'm gellus, too. There are none left around here.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
*raises paw*

I think I'll wait for a few weeks until the crowd dies down a bit. This will be young kitten's first movie theatre experience. We're so excited!

Pensha26 772 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-01-04, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Pensha26 Click to send private message to Pensha26 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Going to have to wait on this. I will just wait for Dr. Pop Pop to get the DVD.

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
I'm not sure. I don't really feel excited about it or anything, unlike Shrek 2. I might see it though.

What have the reviews been like?

New TAR5 Game - Place your bets!

Puffy 6702 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""

We're leaving in 3 hours to go see it. Katie Couric plays a newscaster, Katie Current in "Shark Tales." This morning on the Today show, she said she floundered around a little bit and had to work for scale.

Handcrafted at midnight by RollDDice

10-01-04, 03:06 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Can't resist:

But what did she think of the fin-ish?

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Looks like refried Nemo to me. I'd rather see "Sean of the Dead."

The Hills Have IceCat.
Down here...we all...FLOAT.

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-04, 08:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
Shaun of the Dead is perhaps the funniest movie I've seen all year. Even more than Farenheit 9/11.

I need the DVD tho so I can put on the subtitles. The accents are really thick.

RollDdice 5949 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-04, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "Only good thing from "Shark Tale""
I've been hearing that the movie "tanked".

But I did base Calamity C's billboard sig pic on the movie poster.

SherpaDave 8326 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-04, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
I was planning to maybe see it when it came out on DVD, if even that. Alas, I have to take my car into the shop tomorrow, though, and the only thing within walking distance is a movie theater. And the only movie that could remotely be construed as being okay for kids? This one. So the Sherpa boys will be going to a matinee while we wait for mechanics to run up the charges.

Untrue CrimesSmokeLong Quarterly

10-04-04, 00:20 AM (EST)
24. "Sharks Tale breaks October Opening Weekend Record"
LAST EDITED ON 10-04-04 AT 00:22 AM (EST)

Shark Tale earned 49.1 million in its first weekend breaking the all time October opening record.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20041003/en_nm/leisure_boxoffice_dc

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-04, 00:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Sharks Tale breaks October Opening Weekend Record"
And it was pretty good (despite what critics said) to boot!

Doesn't the name critic mean that they are going to dislike everything anyway? How 'bout reviewer?

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-04, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
no desire to see "Shark Tale" but I did enjoy "Sky Captain"

pure eyecandy though- there's barely any plot to it-
kind of reminded me of "The Rocketteer"

I can't stand Robert DeNiro- anyone else?

pythonfan 3348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-04-04, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pythonfan Click to send private message to pythonfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Who's goiing to see "Shark Tale""
MIL took my two oldest offspring. They loved it.

I took the youngest to the pumpkin patch with my nephew. I don't go to the theatre. I can't sit still that long.

Boo!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •