The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Surveysez 2793 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-20-04, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Surveysez Click to send private message to Surveysez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
Heard this on the radio just now. Some of the people who were given cars on Oprah's season opener may have to sell them. Apparently Pontiac meant the sales tax when they said they would pay the taxes, and since the value of the cars was approx. 28000 each, the federal and state taxes on the gift will be around $6000. Some of the people who received them have indicated they could not afford a new car to begin with, and cannot afford now to pay the taxes, so they may have to sell the new car and buy one with the difference after taxes to drive.

That just seems like a good idea gone terribly wrong.

Surveysez

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... J I M B O 09-20-04 1
   RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... Surveysez 09-20-04 7
 RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... HuckleberryHound 09-20-04 2
   RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... ginger 09-20-04 3
   RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... Surveysez 09-20-04 4
 RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... PagongRatEater 09-20-04 5
   RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... Surveysez 09-20-04 6
 RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... subman 09-20-04 8
   RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... HuckleberryHound 09-20-04 10
   Agree AyaK 09-20-04 23
       RE: Agree subman 09-20-04 24
       RE: Agree Lisapooh 09-20-04 26
           RE: Agree desert_rhino 09-20-04 27
               RE: Agree Lisapooh 09-20-04 28
       Actually Breezy 09-20-04 34
           Did you forget... AyaK 09-21-04 38
               RE: Did you forget... mrc 09-21-04 40
               Yep Breezy 09-21-04 41
           RE: Actually ginger 09-21-04 44
 RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... Estee 09-20-04 9
   Sick, sad... DSpunk 09-20-04 11
       RE: Sick, sad... brvnkrz 09-20-04 12
           RE: Sick, sad... Estee 09-20-04 13
               RE: Sick, sad... brvnkrz 09-20-04 14
                   RE: Sick, sad... Estee 09-20-04 15
                       RE: Sick, sad... brvnkrz 09-20-04 17
                           Don't know Star Spanky68 09-21-04 43
           *stalk* DSpunk 09-20-04 16
               RE: *stalk* brvnkrz 09-20-04 18
                   aawwww... DSpunk 09-20-04 19
                       RE: aawwww... brvnkrz 09-20-04 20
                           RE: aawwww... DSpunk 09-20-04 21
           RE: Sick, sad... frisky 09-20-04 32
               RE: Sick, sad... udg 09-21-04 39
       RE: Sick, sad... desert_rhino 09-20-04 22
           Oooh! moonbaby 09-20-04 30
               RE: Oooh! desert_rhino 09-20-04 33
           JV!!! Glow 09-22-04 45
   This Just In... Captain_Savem 09-20-04 25
       Cappy-i-tan! zombiebaby 09-20-04 31
           RE: Cappy-i-tan! Captain_Savem 09-22-04 46
 RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... seahorse 09-20-04 29
   RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... LeftPinky 09-20-04 36
       RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... blacknwhitedog 09-21-04 42
 RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... NolayC 09-20-04 35
 two random comments Java 09-20-04 37
 RE: Oprah's grant car give away gon... Ra_8secs 09-22-04 47

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

J I M B O 6839 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-20-04, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to send private message to J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
good idea gone wrong?

even after they sell them to pay taxes, they'll still have enough to buy a heck of a lot more car than before the show.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

I wish things would go wrong like that for me more often!

09-20-04, 05:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Surveysez Click to send private message to Surveysez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
My greed comes through, and when I will the lottery I will be very glad to be in Canada where lottery winnings are not taxed. Only the money you make with your winnings is taxed, so I may not have to pay taxes on anything!

HuckleberryHound 229 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-20-04, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HuckleberryHound Click to send private message to HuckleberryHound Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
I would agree with the good idea gone bad.
Obviously, she did not think about the consequences of those gifts. I think she will find a way to make it all work out.

Did anyone see the show today?

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
I wondered about the tax consequences, trying to assuage my own bitterness at not being in the audience. I would have sold the car, anyway.

My cousin was once given a Porsche for a bonus. When he told his boss he couldn't accept because of the tax implications, Boss added that much more $ to his end of year check. When something like that happens to me, monkeys will be flying out of Oprah's ##### (still bitter).

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs.

09-20-04, 05:55 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
I tried to watch today, but she kept drooling on John Travolta wo much and talking about his 50th birthday party that she went to that I could not take it anymore.

But the movie Ladder 49 looks good, and drooling on Travolta is my job (or would be, if there was a job competition for it)

Surveysez

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
That's the same way it works if you win a car in a sweepstakes or somesuch. If they sell it to cover the taxes they can still afford to buy a very nice Taurus or sumpin.

09-20-04, 05:56 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
I know the reality is they still get something out of it, but it just seems sad that they can't keep what they were given. Apparently they were all hand picked as being in real need to qualify for the show.

subman 1546 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-20-04, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail subman Click to send private message to subman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
I think that people tend to forget when they go on these game shows and win $50,000 worth of dinette sets and big screen TVs that they will have to pay a gift tax on the value of their winnings? Worst case in this situation, they sell the new car and buy a very nice used car with the proceeds net the federal taxes. They don't have a lot to complain about in either case. On the other hand, Oprah could pay their taxes for them, but then they would owe another tax on that gift. Of course under the tax laws Oprah could make a one time gift to each...oh..just skip it...

HuckleberryHound 229 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-20-04, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HuckleberryHound Click to send private message to HuckleberryHound Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
"I tried to watch today, but she kept drooling on John Travolta wo much and talking about his 50th birthday party that she went to that I could not take it anymore.
But the movie Ladder 49 looks good, and drooling on Travolta is my job (or would be, if there was a job competition for it)"

I agree that she was most definately drooling on Travolta. But that movie really looks good. I think it is about time firefighters get a little more attention so people can remember how lucky they are to have these heros around.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 07:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Agree"
I think that people tend to forget when they go on these game shows and win $50,000 worth of dinette sets and big screen TVs that they will have to pay a gift tax on the value of their winnings

It's actually not a gift tax; it's federal and state income tax. These audience members had income by virtue of being on the show. They would receive Form 1099s from the Oprah! show that would show the value of the car as additional income.

FWIW, "gift tax" is charged to estates after death. But, while Pontiac is verrrry, verrrry sick, GM hasn't killed it yet.

Worst case in this situation, they sell the new car and buy a very nice used car with the proceeds net the federal taxes. They don't have a lot to complain about in either case.

I agree. If these audience members think they got ripped off, let them change places with me ... or with ginger.

On the other hand, Oprah could pay their taxes for them, but then they would owe another tax on that gift.

Exactly, although this would also be income tax. If someone else pays your taxes for you, you have income.

Of course under the tax laws Oprah could make a one time gift to each...oh..just skip it...

Well, Oprah could gross them up enough on the money she gave them for taxes so that they would have enough income to pay all of their taxes without having to sell the car; there's a formula for calculating the amount that her show would have to pay to each.

I can't see why she'd want to, though. Anyone who complains is simply TOO greedy for words.

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.

subman 1546 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-20-04, 07:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail subman Click to send private message to subman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Agree"
Not to be insensitive (not me) to the plight of having to sell a new car received from a game show or, as given in this example, I should be so lucky to have that kind of bad luck. Some people may be able to pay the tax out of pocket and others will have to sell their gift, but I don't see this being a "hardship" in any shape or form. Also, thanks for explaining the tax situation stemming from winning prizes. What you said is what I meant.

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 07:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Agree"
if they wanted to keep the car, couldn't they just get a personal loan using the car as collateral? The payments on a $6000 loan is gonna be less than a car note.

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 08:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Agree"
except they're all relatively destitute, and that raises the possibility that their credit is not perfect.

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Agree"
well, it wouldn't be an unsecured loan. I'd hope if you had a 28K car as collateral, you could get a loan to pay the taxes on it.

We once offered to put up our car as collateral for a loan, but the car was too old and they wouldn't use it. They did, however, give us an unsecured loan without a minute's hesitation. I told my then husband - we gotta change banks these people are idiots to give us this money.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 09:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "Actually"
FWIW, "gift tax" is charged to estates after death. But, while Pontiac is verrrry, verrrry sick, GM hasn't killed it yet.

Actually gift tax can be taxed on individuals that give/receive gifts over $10,000 or is it $15,000.... I'd have to look it up. Estate taxes are charged to estates after death.

IceCat is da man! GO PACK GO!!!!

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-04, 01:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "Did you forget..."
...the unified credit. which acts to prevent virtually eveeryone from paying gift tax while alive -- but is reduced by the amount of gifts made above the exemption threshold so that you have to pay tax on more of your estate when you die? See Code sections 2010 and 2505.

I was trying to simplify the discussion, since most people's eyes glaze over when the subject turns to tax. With the unified credit, it's simpler to explain gift tax as a subset of estate tax -- which, in fact, it is.

However, you are technically correct: the gift tax applies to gifts (a term which is not defined in the Code, but which does NOT include prizes and awards) made in a calendar year. Although you generally will not pay anyhing until after you die thanks to the unified credit, you have to file any year for which you reduce the unified credit (or, heavens forbid, actually owe money).

Sorry if I confused anyone.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-04, 07:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Did you forget..."
*eyes glazed but not from being drunk*

Huh?

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-04, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "Yep"
That's what I get for posting from home at night after my brain has shut down.

Thanks Ayak! *smooch*

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-04, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Actually"
Ah, but don't forget the coveted $10,000 per donor/per donee exemption!

Estate tax law. Feel the excitement!

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 06:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
On the other hand, this looks like a wonderful opportunity to sue Oprah, and how many of those come along in any given year?

(This is America. If you can't sue someone for trying to help you, we might as well just surrender now.)

DSpunk 3270 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-20-04, 06:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DSpunk Click to send private message to DSpunk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Sick, sad..."
and true.

Sliced. Again.
The land of opportunism.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 06:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Sick, sad..."
But if we are following the trend of late, Dr. Phil would be sitting on the jury and he's not about to rule against her.

09-20-04, 06:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Sick, sad..."
I think he's too busy telling mothers their children are going to turn into serial killers. That takes up a lot of time, you know, especially when you need to use those slow-focus shots on the crying mothers.

(There are people in the world whom I want to hit in the face more than Dr. Phil. There may be as many as five.)

09-20-04, 06:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Sick, sad..."
For me there is just one. Star Jones. But Phil is a close second.

09-20-04, 06:24 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Sick, sad..."
I can't imagine what Star's done to make you feel that way. Of course, that may be because I automatically turn off the TV every time her image appears on it.

(I don't even do that with political ads.)

09-20-04, 06:30 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Sick, sad..."
Unfortunately there are times when she suddenly appears on my TV, and at that very moment I develop tourette's syndrome.

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-04, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "Don't know Star"
So I had to google her. I came up with these athiests who are mad at her b/c she apparently said she'd never vote for an atheist.

09-20-04, 06:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DSpunk Click to send private message to DSpunk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "*stalk*"

Sliced. Again.
and *smooch*.

09-20-04, 06:36 PM (EST)
18. "RE: *stalk*"
Hey Spunky. Long time no stalk.

09-20-04, 06:48 PM (EST)
19. "aawwww..."
is bravey wavey feeling a little neglecty wecty?

Sliced. Again.
Sorry, sweets... tryin' to get some work done today. How u doin?

09-20-04, 07:00 PM (EST)
20. "RE: aawwww..."
Ya just can't count on stalkers like you used to.

doin fine this afternoon. And you?

09-20-04, 07:03 PM (EST)
21. "RE: aawwww..."
Especially knocker stalkers, apparently...

Sliced. Again.
grrrrreat! Makin' more music tonight, and lookin' forward to it.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 09:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Sick, sad..."
I thought you said "the late Dr. Phil" and had to reread it. Dayum.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-04, 03:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Sick, sad..."
A girl can dream, can't she?

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004
*scritch*

09-20-04, 07:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Sick, sad..."
"Oprah torn apart by rabid fans who want her to give them a Brand New Car! Tonight, on Sick, Sad World."

http://home.comcast.net/~jvneedham/newflamewars.wav

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "Oooh!"
I must tune in!

09-20-04, 09:24 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Oooh!"
Did you click on the link, baby?

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 00:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "JV!!!"
LOL...I can't believe I missed this.

a Gothmog original

*smooch*

Captain_Savem 3731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-20-04, 07:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Captain_Savem Click to send private message to Captain_Savem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "This Just In..."

I.Heart.Estee!

You made me smile! Something I haven't done in a while

Courtesy of Slice & Dice Chop Shop ©2004 All Rights Reserved U.C.B. Local #69
"Blood is thicker than water, but that blood is watered down." ~ Nakomis

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "Cappy-i-tan!"
Drive by smooch cause I have not seen you and missed you!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

For the record I would take even a set of tires.

Captain_Savem 3731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-22-04, 01:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Captain_Savem Click to send private message to Captain_Savem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Cappy-i-tan!"

zombiebaby!!

*smooch-a-roo* for you

WOW, 1800 posts? I remember when you were only 300. Where does the time go?

Courtesy of Slice & Dice Chop Shop ©2004 All Rights Reserved U.C.B. Local #69
"Blood is thicker than water, but that blood is watered down." ~ Nakomis

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-04, 08:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
For one thing the income tax ought to be on the price Oprah paid not the manufacturers list price. I am sure she got that amount of cars at a very nice discount.

©Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

LeftPinky 4150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-20-04, 09:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LeftPinky Click to send private message to LeftPinky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
Actually, Oprah paid nothing for the cars, they were donated by GMC.
Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-04, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
That's right. Oprah did not purchase these cars. They were part of a marketing giveaway by Pontiac/GMC.

can't stand Oprah

NolayC 1251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-20-04, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NolayC Click to send private message to NolayC Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
A coworker wrote a letter to Oprah about her sister and brother in law, they were invited to the show and all three got cars. I did not hear about the amount in taxes they were going to pay, so good info. I know they didn't have the color they wanted and they just got vouchers for the cars redemable at their local Pontiac dealership.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Java 519 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-20-04, 10:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Java Click to send private message to Java Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "two random comments"
I won a car once. It was first prize in a raffle, a 1957 Corvette or $10,000. I took the car, but only had to list the $10K as the value of the prize for tax purposes.

I live 5 miles from the Pontiac G6 assembly plant. Oprah visited here a couple weeks before the giveaway. She didn't even call me! We could have had lunch or gone shoe shopping. The nerve.

Ra_8secs 1081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-22-04, 09:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ra_8secs Click to send private message to Ra_8secs Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: Oprah's grant car give away gone bad"
I've never liked Oprah, anyway.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •