The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Daily News Article"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-28-01, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Daily News Article"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-01 AT 02:53 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 09-28-01 AT 01:01 PM (EST)

This is an interesting article by a reporter who apparently visited the set during the first several days of shooting. Some old information, but also some new. He discusses some of the issues addressed in other threads...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, September 26, 2001

'Survivor' Safari
Meet the 16 contestants
for the third $1 million TV jackpot

By LANCE GOULD
Daily News Deputy Features Editor

SHABA NATIONAL RESERVE, Kenya

oo many baboons on the runway — don't you hate when that happens?

I was on my way to this game preserve in central Kenya — not terribly far from Somalia — the setting for "Survivor: Africa," the third incarnation of the hit TV series.

But the small prop plane couldn't land on the tiny airstrip near Shaba until the primates cleared out. The pilot said that such circumstances were not unusual — although sometimes it's elephants, zebras or giraffes that tie up air traffic.

The baboon incident was a good illustration of how the "reality" element of this godfather of reality shows can affect "Survivor's" outcome: You never know what's going to happen. Especially when you throw 16 people into the middle of an African game park with few possessions but the clothes they're wearing, a spear with their name on it (literally), a map indicating the nearest water source and as many sundry survival items as they can grab.

'Survivor: Africa' players work to start a fire in the Boran camp. They are, from left, Kim Johnson, Lex van den Berghe and Diane Ogden.
The producers of "Survivor: Africa," which yesterday announced the names of the 16 contestants who competed this past summer for its $1 million prize (the series begins airing Oct. 11 on CBS), hope that the members of the Boran and Samburu tribes provide such exciting, spontaneous television.

"The reality is the reality," said Mark Burnett, creator and executive producer of the "Survivor" franchise, in an interview that took place in July, well before the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington so diminished the relevance of a reality game show.

The reality for the participants was decidedly less bleak by comparison. Nonetheless, the conditions in East Africa were unrelentingly hot, and every step kicked up more dust than an angry baseball manager.

Yes, water was plentiful in the Ewaso Ngiro River and in Shaba's 17 springs. But to get it meant trekking with a heavy gourd while keeping an eye out for lions, leopards, scorpions, crocodiles and malarial mosquitoes, in addition to the creature that most concerned them — the cape buffalo. The buffalo, experts said, is more aggressive and deadly to humans than any other animal in the park.

Of course, once they got water, they had to purify, and that meant they had to have fire, which, as past editions of the show have revealed, is not so easy to spark.

Sunbaked Players

On the second day, a visit to the Boran camp found eight dehydrated individuals lying down, panting, in the relative shade of an acacia tree. The earth was cracked and fairly littered with straw and dried dung of every variety. Tom Buchanan, a heavyset, middle-aged goat farmer from Virginia, looked like the "after" model in a sunburn-medication ad. Occasionally someone stood up, spritzed themselves with water, and then lay back down.

One of the women tried to lift the tribe's spirits that Friday afternoon.

"It's a weekend," she said. "Party time!"

"Yeah," someone responded, "I'm going out tonight!"

The group members tried to take their minds off the heat by breaking out contestant Kim Johnson's luxury item — paints and a brush — and decorating water bottles, as well as one another.

Things were quieter at Samburu camp, a few miles away, because the tribe was out on a "water fetch."

Lex van den Berghe (l.) and Ethan Zohn work together in the hot sun.
"They do everything together," an insider revealed.

Though there were no people there, Samburu camp still seemed more upbeat. A flowery blue bikini belonging to tribe member Kim Powers hung on a makeshift fence. Lindsey Richter's luxury item — a yellow, red and white beachball — lent a goofy spirit to the environment. Samburu camp also had a small, happy vegetable garden, adorned with what seemed to be a small gazelle skull.

Among the contestants are New York City resident and professional soccer player Ethan Zohn, 27, on the Boran team, and Florida dentist Carl Bilancione, 46, who grew up in Brooklyn, on the Samburu side. True to his profession, Bilancione brought a toothbrush and toothpaste as his luxury item.

No-Fly Zone

There is almost a military sensibility hovering over "Survivor: Africa." And not just because so many people are wearing khakis and living in tents.

For example, the producers reached an accord with the Kenyan government to establish a "no-fly zone" over Shaba, guaranteeing that pesky planes would not disturb the action. Shaba — 75% of which was rented out exclusively to the program for the 39-day shoot this past summer, an agreement that cost them 18 million Kenyan shillings, a little less than $250,000 — abuts a training area for the Kenyan military. The Kenyan Department of Defense simply extended the no-fly zone that already protected its training ground, where live ammunition is fired 5,000 feet in the air.

The producers also arranged for and imported a special blood bank to be installed in a Nairobi hospital, in the "extremely unlikely chance that someone requires a transfusion," notes Dr. Adrian (Ado) Cohen, the rugged, pinup Australian doctor who's overseen all three "Survivor" installments. The blood bank was locked in a temperature-regulated fridge, stocked with blood flown in from Florida, France and Switzerland.

As with the previous two shows, information about "Survivor: Africa" is closely guarded, and the contestants and crew — as well as visitors — are contractually forbidden from revealing secrets.

"Security here is tighter than the CIA," says Burnett.

There were also some cloak-and-dagger manuevers behind the scenes, too. The producers established a shelf company — Mwandiga Pictures — to disguise the activities of Survivor Entertainment Group (SEG, Inc.), the show's production company.

"We were just covering our tracks," says Robin Hollister, the Redford-esque, Kenyan-born location manager, "because anybody who wanted to investigate whether ‘Survivor' was here could go to the Ministry and could pull a file and find out that SEG has been licensed to shoot a film here."

A tree provides little shade for (from l.) Brandon Quinton, Linda Spencer, Carl Bilancione and Teresa Cooper.
Mwandiga is the Swahili name for the poisonous desert rose.

Before being stranded in Shaba — the national park that earned notoriety as the place "Born Free" author Joy Adamson was murdered in 1980 — all 16 participants were given a three-day quickie course in East African survival techniques by a couple of veteran naturalists. The survivors were instructed in how to build a boma, a protective enclosure of acacia thornbrush that, remarkably, should keep most animals out the camps. (There's no guarantee against deadly puff-adder snakes slithering through, but that should at least keep things interesting.)

The contestants did not gather their own brush for their bomas — the producers gathered it for them.

"We don't want them to cut the foliage within the reserve," said Hollister, "so part of it has been arranged for them."

The show came under fire last season because it employed stand-ins during scenes in from the Australian Outback. But Burnett, whose staff gave him the nickname "Mark de Sade" during the first "Survivor" (it was affectionate, one insider swore), vowed not to change his approach to the show. When asked specifically if he would use stand-ins in "Survivor: Africa," he said, "I'm not going to do anything different than every other year."

Who's Who

The first set of "Survivor" candidates became household names. Who among the new cast of "Survivor: Africa" will become the next Richard Hatch, the African Rudy Bosch?

Here's a first look at the Class of Fall 2001:

Carl Bilancione, 46, from Winter Springs, Fla.; dentist.
Clarence Black, 24, from Detroit; high-school basketball coach.
Tom Buchanan, 46, from Rich Valley, Va.; goat farmer.
Jessie Camacho, 27, from Orlando; deputy sheriff.
Teresa Cooper, 42, from Jackson, Ga.; flight attendant.
Silas Gaither, 23, from Germantown, Tenn., now living in Los Angeles; bartender.
Frank Garrison, 43, from Odessa, N.Y.; telephone company technician.
Kelly Goldsmith, 22, from Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.; behavioral research analyst.
Kim Johnson, 57, from Oyster Bay, L.I.; retired teacher.
Diane Ogden, 42, from Lincoln, Neb.; mail carrier.
Kim Powers, 29, from Conshohocken, Pa.; freelance marketer.
Brandon Quinton, 25, from Dallas; bartender.
Lindsey Richter, 27, from Portland, Ore.; advertising account executive.
Linda Spencer, 44, from Cambridge, Mass.; career counselor.
Lev van den Berghe, 38, from Santa Cruz, Calif.; marketing manager.
Ethan Zohn, 27, from Lexington, Mass., now living in New York; professional soccer player.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Some observations: "...when you throw 16 people into the middle of an African game park with few possessions but the clothes they're wearing, a spear with their name on it (literally),..."

This sounds like the picture of Lex carrying a spear/torch is standard issue for each survivor, so probably not a picture of a challenge.

"...a map indicating the nearest water source..."

Sounds like they are not camped near the river and probably get their water from a spring that can only be found with a map. They carry it back to camp in a gord and need to purify it. So, fire is needed to drink...MB won't leave them without fire for long.

"...Kim Johnson's luxury item — paints and a brush — and decorating water bottles, as well as one another..."

Sounds like Clarence's war paint could be applied by other members of his tribe.

"...Samburu camp also had a small, happy vegetable garden, adorned with what seemed to be a small gazelle skull..."

Does this mean that each tribe site comes complete with a vegetable garden, since they can't hunt or fish?

"...The contestants did not gather their own brush for their bomas — the producers gathered it for them. "We don't want them to cut the foliage within the reserve," said Hollister, "so part of it has been arranged for them."..."

So, the picture of the pile of thorn brush is showing a pile that was gathered for them...

"...The producers also arranged for and imported a special blood bank to be installed in a Nairobi hospital, in the "extremely unlikely chance that someone requires a transfusion," notes Dr. Adrian (Ado) Cohen, the rugged, pinup Australian doctor who's overseen all three "Survivor" installments. The blood bank was locked in a temperature-regulated fridge, stocked with blood flown in from Florida, France and Switzerland..."

Burnett was ready for what? Blood born pathogens, parasites, animal maulings, etc?

The pictures are also new aren't they?

Krautboy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Alliance Alert? PepeLePew13 09-28-01 1
   RE: Alliance Alert? Krautboy 09-28-01 2
   RE: Alliance Alert? SurvivorBlows 09-28-01 3
   Not exactly diamond 09-28-01 4
   oops! Krautboy 09-28-01 5
       RE: oops! SurvivorBlows 09-28-01 7
 RE: Daily News Article SurvivorBlows 09-28-01 6
 Samburu with fire "day 2" / Boran w... Krautboy 10-01-01 8
   RE: Samburu with fire "day 2" / Bor... SurvivorBlows 10-01-01 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-28-01, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Alliance Alert?"

>
>Lex van den Berghe (l.) and Ethan Zohn work together in
>the hot sun. "They do everything together," an insider
>revealed.

A budding alliance in the works, it seems.

"Permit me to introduce myself. I am Pepe Le Pew, your lover."

09-28-01, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Alliance Alert?"
Pepe: Good catch! This early alliance means at least two votes against someone else. Since we have evidence that Big Tom and Clarence are safe for Episode 1, we might conclude that one of the females will be the first to go if Boran goes to Tribal Council...

Krautboy

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Alliance Alert?"
I agree... but I also wonder if the "insider" comment might be a plant from Burnett.

diamond 2307 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

09-28-01, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail diamond Click to send private message to diamond Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Not exactly"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-01 AT 04:14 PM (EST)

I thought there was something funny about the way the
article was posted above, so I looked at the original
article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/2001-09-26/New_York_Now/Television/a-126399.asp

The line about Lex and Ethan is actually the caption of
the photo, and in the actual article, it is set apart from
the main text. The quote "They do everything together"
really comes right after the reference to the Samburu
tribe and their water run.

Now, whether this is a plant or not is still up for debate.

Diamond

"So typical, a battle of wits, and I've come half-prepared." - Trashcan Sinatras

09-28-01, 04:13 PM (EST)
5. "oops!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-01 AT 04:16 PM (EST)

I just reallized that when I inserted the pictures from the original article it makes it appear that Lex and Ethan are the ones that "...do everything together..." but in the original article the picture is off to the side, and the quote is really referring to the whole tribe that was off on a "water fetch", "doing everything together" including getting water.

Darn, two steps forward one step back...

Edited to add: Good eye Diamond, our posts crossed in cyberspace!

Krautboy

09-28-01, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: oops!"
Woops, good catches diamond and Kraut.

Yes, I agree, the plant part is still a question, but now that it's in reference to the collective TRIBE, I'm not really sure what the value might be in planting it -- after all, no matter how well they all get along, they'd still have to boot a member.

09-28-01, 04:18 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Daily News Article"
>Some observations: "...when you throw 16
>people into the middle of
>an African game park with
>few possessions but the clothes
>they're wearing, a spear with
>their name on it (literally),..."
>
>
>This sounds like the picture of
>Lex carrying a spear/torch is
>standard issue for each survivor,
>so probably not a picture
>of a challenge.

Yep, although I doubt that the spears will outright replace the torches -- the torches are just too big a piece of the Survivor mythos at this point -- it looks like they either have dual-function torch/spears this season, or have both a spear and a torch.

Given the safety concerns, I guess it makes sense...

>"...a map indicating the nearest water
>source..."
>
>Sounds like they are not camped
>near the river and probably
>get their water from a
>spring that can only be
>found with a map. They
>carry it back to camp
>in a gord and need
>to purify it. So, fire
>is needed to drink...MB won't
>leave them without fire for
>long.

Ya, I don't think they are getting water from the river. I'd say the springs -- or maybe even something like in S1 (which from my understanding was basically a storage tank that the producers buried.) ...if it is something like the storage tank, then the "boiling water" requirement might be overstated.

Not to mention that Burnett probably gave both groups a 3-4 day supply of water to get started with (I believe that was a standard part of the S2 supplies)

>"...Kim Johnson's luxury item — paints
>and a brush — and
>decorating water bottles, as well
>as one another..."
>
>Sounds like Clarence's war paint could
>be applied by other members
>of his tribe.

...or Clarence's photo with the yellow paint might be from this scene (painted using Kim's paint) while the other photo with the black paint might be him using his own war paints for the first time at the S1 challenge.

>"...Samburu camp also had a small,
>happy vegetable garden, adorned with
>what seemed to be a
>small gazelle skull..."
>
>Does this mean that each tribe
>site comes complete with a
>vegetable garden, since they can't
>hunt or fish?

I hate the idea of a vegetable garden -- it's weak. Oh look, here's a garden in the wilderness! It also completely destroys the perception (that Burnett like to persist) that the tribe's have quite of bit of control over where they setup their camp.

...any tribe would have to be foolish not to make sure that the garden was within the thorn-bush protective ring -- if not those vegetables would be eaten within a week.

>"...The producers also arranged for and
>imported a special blood bank
>to be installed in a
>Nairobi hospital, in the "extremely
>unlikely chance that someone requires
>a transfusion," notes Dr. Adrian
>(Ado) Cohen, the rugged, pinup
>Australian doctor who's overseen all
>three "Survivor" installments. The blood
>bank was locked in a
>temperature-regulated fridge, stocked with blood
>flown in from Florida, France
>and Switzerland..."
>
>Burnett was ready for what? Blood
>born pathogens, parasites, animal maulings,
>etc?

Probably all of the above. But I'm sure this was for cast AND CREW alike. I'm sure part of this probably had to do with things like foreign diseases, as well as even the incredibly high HIV/AIDS rates in parts of Africa.

>The pictures are also new aren't
>they?

They were to me...

10-01-01, 04:24 PM (EST)
8. "Samburu with fire "day 2" / Boran without "
LAST EDITED ON 10-01-01 AT 08:19 PM (EST)

On Day 2 the reporter of this article describes the Boran tribe as "...eight dehydrated individuals lying down, panting, in the relative shade of an acacia tree..."

Boran Tribe conserving energy…

On the same day "...Things were quieter at Samburu camp, a few miles away, because the tribe was out on a "water fetch"...they do everything together," an insider revealed...Though there were no people there, Samburu camp still seemed more upbeat...

Samburu Tribe with fire…Day2

Samburu Tribe after the “Water Fetch” filtering water through a cloth in preparation for boiling. Smoke from their fire in the background.

I think we can conclude that by day 2 Samburu had been able to make fire, and went on a "water fetch" because they now had the ability to boil water, cook and drink...explaining why their camp seemed more "upbeat".

The Boran on the other hand were dehydrated because they couldn't boil the water to drink it, they were trying to conserve their energy for the upcoming challenge...

Edited to add pictures...
Krautboy

10-01-01, 06:02 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Samburu with fire "day 2" / Boran without "
LAST EDITED ON 10-01-01 AT 06:03 PM (EST)

>I think we can conclude that
>by day 2 Samburu had
>been able to make fire,
>and went on a "water
>fetch" because they now had
>the ability to boil water,
>cook and drink...explaining why their
>camp seemed more "upbeat".
>
>The Boran on the other hand
>were dehydrated because they couldn't
>boil the water to drink
>it, they were trying to
>conserve their energy for the
>upcoming challenge...

Although, the following was listed on SurvivorFever from the TVGuide article:

The tribes got through the first night unscathed but the differences between the tribes are already apparent. One camp is extremely well-organized and confident, their fence of thorns tall, thick and impenetrable. The frame for the shelter they built out of palm leaves and cow dung was already taking shape.

Six kilometers away, the other camp was a mess. Their boma was full of gaps. Mosquito nets hung limply from the flimsy tripod of branches that they used as protection the night before. Some of them had taken to sitting grim-faced and silent, under the acacia tree.

...if the rest of their camp is a mess, then maybe the Boran are just lazy and unorganized.

-SB

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •