The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Jeff Probst can make a "judgement call""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

heresy 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-12-01, 09:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail heresy Click to send private message to heresy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Jeff Probst can make a "judgement call""
I'm not really sure where to post this, but this may have implications for our discussions of spoilers this season, so I posted it here.

I have found evidence that Jeff Probst can make judgment calls concerning reward and immunity challenges.

In the first episode of the first season, while explaining the rules to the Quest for Fire challenge Jeff said the following:
"Don't put me in the position of having to make a judgement call. I don't want to, there's too much at stake."

This is a direct quote. I reviewed the tape three times to ensure I got it correct, word for word.

He isn't shown making this statement again, either in the first season or in the second season.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Jeff Probst can make a "judgeme... dabo 09-13-01 1
 RE: Jeff Probst can make a "judgeme... Mitrelleum 09-13-01 2
 RE: Jeff Probst can make a "judgeme... VampKira 09-13-01 3
   RE: Jeff Probst can make a "judgeme... PepeLePew13 09-14-01 4
       Agree AyaK 09-17-01 5
           That Raises a Question... IceCat 09-17-01 6
               Cameramen AyaK 09-18-01 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-13-01, 01:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Jeff Probst can make a "judgement call""
During the S2 ep10 ic (fire building) Probst gave Keith a warning about cheating. From Keith's reaction it seemed he understood that Probst has authority during challenges, this is probably explained to all the players before filming begins.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Mitrelleum 257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-13-01, 02:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mitrelleum Click to send private message to Mitrelleum Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Jeff Probst can make a "judgement call""

Just for the record, I don't know if you guys have seen the UK Survivor website, but the host (Mark something-or-other) took immunity away from teams twice for not finishing the challenges properly.
The first time it was "Quest For Fire" and one tribe made it all the way to the end just to be disqualified for missing one torch. So indeed, Jeff is responsible for judging the challenges. Too bad he didn't see Colby cheat in front of Amber in the rope maze reward in E11.

VampKira 4433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-13-01, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VampKira Click to send private message to VampKira Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Jeff Probst can make a "judgement call""
Why does this bring to mind the Colby/Liz broken plates challenge?

"Come to me. Come to me because only I, and my like, can end the lonliness you feel." - The Vampire Lestat

Du ar min hjälte, Supermänniska

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-01, 08:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Jeff Probst can make a "judgement call""
I think you're right, Vampy. I recall that JiffyProbe announced at the beginning something to the effect that the last person with a plate "intact" would win and Colby's last one had a chip in it, which technically wasn't fully intact. Jiffy made, in my opinion, a 'judgement call' right there to allow Colby to continue and win immunity.

"Permit me to introduce myself. I am Pepe Le Pew, your lover."

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

09-17-01, 08:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Agree"
No question that Jeff has always had first-line judging authority on "Survivor". I agree; the "chipped plate" was completely his call. I think the plate was OK as long as the name was intact, BTW, although I agree that the edited version of Jeff's explanation indicates otherwise. Anyway, if the contestants didn't think the chipped plate was still OK, they would have screamed bloody murder (this was a key immunity, after all). I also agree that it was Jeff's call whether to DQ Colby in the rope challenge and that he blew it. Would the right call have made any difference in the long run? Perhaps, but we'll never know....

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

09-17-01, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "That Raises a Question..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-17-01 AT 09:26 PM (EST)

If Jiffy is the final arbiter in the case of rule intepretation, how does he view all participants in a foot race. Does he just run along with the lead group? Does he review all of the race footage before the winner is declared? The logistics are more complicated than just acting as a referee during the competition itself.

I'd say the real interpretation of the rules occurs at the producer level.

Oh damn... I hope I don't get a 'Stacy-subpoena in' the mail tomorrow!

Edited cuz I couldn't spell subpoena... so sue me! No - wait!

September 11, 2001

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

09-18-01, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Cameramen"
I doubt that the rules would require the review of a tape. I think the cameramen/crew would be expected to report any obvious violations; otherwise, it's just based on what Jeffy and probably an assistant producer see. I'd be surprised if MB came to most of the challenges, because many of them tend to be lengthy and dull in real time. He might come to a few, like the cliff dive (when he choppered in and then issued his famous command about preventing the two tribes from talking -- "Separate the f@#kers!"), but I doubt very much if he was at "Paired Off" or the pole-standing challenge. Jeffy and the assistant producer could call MB if they needed advice, but MB wouldn't be a referee, just an oracle.

This would be in keeping with normal game show practice, which puts the main responsibility for detecting a problem with the contest in the hands of the host and an assistant producer.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •