The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Spy Satellite Photos"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-28-01, 09:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Spy Satellite Photos"
Here's an article from USA Today the reveals spy satellite photos of the new S3 camp... can someone get screencaops of the (by following the "see the survivor site" link, and then clicking on the little squares in the map) ASAP!!! These could be helpful!!!!

Scouting the new 'Survivor' location

By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY

Some 423 miles above, the spy satellite slid quietly into position above the camp. Far below, forbidden to visitors and overhead airplane flights, a pair of secret camps, where teams completed hush-hush missions, lay in secrecy until now ... No, they weren't spies, the eye in the sky captured shots of the closed set of CBS's Survivor Africa, where film crews recently wrapped up shooting the next installment of the popular production, all conducted under unbelievably tight secrecy for a TV show.

While Kenyan authorities closed off the site, the Shaba National Reserve, during filming, a USA TODAY exclusive peek into the forbidden territory of the Survivor 3 set from two weeks ago in Kenya reveals the camp of one team, a miniature recreation of a local Samburu. village, and the large infrastructure needed to bring the survivor's story to the air waves.
"Over months, bits and pieces of the puzzle have come together," says Survivor aficionado Dan Bollinger. of Lafayette, Ind.,. the secret mastermind behind the satellite pictures. Since the original Survivor show, Bollinger has posted maps on his own web site, http://www.claycritters.com/, part of the nationwide network of sites maintained by the show's fans.

Survivor: Africa offered a significant challenge to Bollinger. With few existing maps of Shaba and the overflight ban of the park, he had to resort to ingenuity. Working through the Internet to create a network of Kenyan sources, tourism and safari workers, he pinpointed the coordinates, N 0° 37.64' latitude. and E 37° 45.52' longitude,. of the Survivor production camp in May, a month ahead of CBS' official announcement.

He then approached Space Imaging of Denver, a private space photo company, which turned its IKONOS satellite's cameras on the camp. "Dan Bollinger had a problem, we solved it," says company spokesman Mark Brender.. On Tuesday, one of Bollinger's local contacts confirmed the mock village seen in the photos as "the place where the Americans stayed."

The satellite photos reveal a few intriguing observations about the October show:

• "It looks like every Survivor got their own little hut this time," Bollinger says. If true, TV viewers will miss the site of jury-rigged dwellings falling apart in rainstorms seen on Survivor 2. The "tribal camp " captured in the images contains ten thatched huts, enough for each survivor, an outhouse and a TV crew, surrounded by a circular brush wall to keep out animals.

• While Survivor tribes may appear to be isolated on TV, the images show the supposed tribal camp has a team of support trailers a short way down the road from it and the main production facility, at least 18 sizeable buildings, stands only about two miles away.

• Unlike Survivors, who bake on the open savanna, the production team appears to have a number of trailers hidden under Acacia trees near the production facility. A collection of tents, possible crew quarters, sit north of the facility.

• Possible hints of various "immunity challenges," contest sites near the production camp, including a double-walled site and a square structure. A production truck sits near a streambed close to the camp.

• A show setting of sandy and sparsely treed savanna, bordered by the gorge-sided Ewaso Ng'iro. river to the north and woods near the production facility to the south. Rock outcroppings, or kopjes, dot the landscape.

"The extreme lengths that Survivor fans go to in attempt to uncover information about the show is insane, but quite impressive," says CBS spokesman Chris Ender, who would "neither confirm nor deny" the images showed the Survivor set.

Space Imaging waived its usual $3,500 "special collect" mission fee to show off its IKONOS satellite. "It's sort of a space-based Indiana Jones that brings — with stealth, speed, and global reach — the death to distance," says Brender. The one-meter resolution images from the probe's 1,600-pound. Kodak camera capture buildings and vehicles but it's not sharp enough to show people.

"These images are consistent with the quality we see from commercial suppliers," says David Burpee, a spokesman for the federal National Imagery and Mapping Agency.. His agency, which examines satellite reconnaissance photos for Pentagon and CIA, also uses commercial images for humanitarian missions. "Unfortunately, the (final) 'survivor' is not in the picture so like the rest of America we will just have to wait," says Burpee.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Here's the Photos... IceCat 08-28-01 1
   RE: Here's the Photos... sleeeve 08-28-01 2
       Cue the Zoom Lens! IceCat 08-28-01 3
           RE: Cue the Zoom Lens! sleeeve 08-28-01 4
               Here are Some Even Better... IceCat 08-28-01 5
                   RE: Here are Some Even Better... sleeeve 08-29-01 6
                       RE: Here are Some Even Better... SurvivorBlows 08-29-01 9
                   RE: Here are Some Even Better... SurvivorBlows 08-29-01 7
                       RE: Here are Some Even Better... sleeeve 08-29-01 8
                           RE: Here are Some Even Better... SurvivorBlows 08-29-01 10
                   Camera Platforms? Krautboy 08-29-01 15
                       RE: Camera Platforms? SurvivorBlows 08-29-01 16
 Further Refinement... IceCat 08-29-01 11
   RE: Further Refinement... SurvivorBlows 08-29-01 12
   RE: Further Refinement... Lisapooh 08-29-01 13
 RE: Spy Satellite Photos SurvivorBlows 08-29-01 14
 RE: Spy Satellite Photos sleeeve 08-30-01 17
   Another Zoom... IceCat 08-30-01 18
 My problems with the maps... SurvivorBlows 08-30-01 19
   Post Merger Camp Krautboy 08-30-01 20
       RE: Post Merger Camp bondt007 08-30-01 21
       Disagree AyatollahKhomeini 08-30-01 23
   RE: My problems with the maps... MakeItStop 08-30-01 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-28-01, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Here's the Photos..."
LAST EDITED ON 08-28-01 AT 10:03 PM (EST)

Meow!

08-28-01, 09:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Here's the Photos..."
Thanks!!!

Notice 10 hits within the fence... and one hut outside

could this be the merger camp with outhouse outside, and crew/medical support (positioned out of shot of camera, behind some trees) just down the road???

08-28-01, 09:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Cue the Zoom Lens!"
LAST EDITED ON 08-28-01 AT 10:02 PM (EST)

I show 11 structures within the fence... one off to the top...

Here's a possible interpretation:

Meow!

08-28-01, 10:05 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Cue the Zoom Lens!"
Good catch!!! (I missed the one in the bottom left corner.)

It also makes sense for the latrine to be within the fence (to protect those that need to venture out in the middle of the night.

It could be that the outer hit is some sort of storage hut, for the crew, that will not be shown on camera??? OR maybe the location of "tree mail," since those need to be dropped off when none of the Survivors are around.

Just a few preliminary thoughts.

08-28-01, 10:34 PM (EST)
5. "Here are Some Even Better..."
LAST EDITED ON 08-29-01 AT 00:08 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-28-01 AT 10:45 PM (EST)

These are directly off the Dan Bollinger site... not the reduced ones that were on the USA Today site:

Here is another zoom from the better quality photo:

Here's a possible analysis of the photo as a tribal council set:

Note: Even though the boulders are large, they could be made of plaster and plywood like the stone pillars on Australia TC set.

Meow!

08-29-01, 02:43 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Here are Some Even Better..."
Don't forget that this was taken late in the filming.... "a week or two ago"... so if this is the Tribal council set, we also need to identify the jury seats, the jury entrance, and the regular entrance to the set...

Wanna try to figure out where these might fit into this photo???

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-01, 02:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Here are Some Even Better..."
LAST EDITED ON 08-29-01 AT 02:52 AM (EST)

Well if you look at the below, I think first of all, alot of the below -- if it is a TC -- is just background set (like the Stonehedge rocks from S2)

The voting area and the walk/confessional make sense to me.

The "podium" and the seats could be anywhere really... in previous shows they are little more than a stand and a couple of benchs to sit on -- I'm not sure we'd see that level of detail in this photo.

Btw, am I the only one that can see a smiley face in the below?

08-29-01, 02:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Here are Some Even Better..."
Ice, I think this is a GREAT theory -- and I like it much better than the idea that each person gets their own hut (the close sleeping quarters -- to me, are a large part of the dynamics)

What is the scale on the images -- it looks like each hut is pretty damn big to be a personal sleeping quarters

08-29-01, 02:47 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Here are Some Even Better..."
Good point... if you look at the larger photo, each "hut" is as big as a truck... not very likely!!!

08-29-01, 02:55 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Here are Some Even Better..."
Good point EEE -- I think that would pretty much kill the "sleeping huts" idea -- they appear to be near the same size as the production trailers!

...what is this, Celebrity Survivor??? What's next, a fully equiped kitchen?

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-29-01, 03:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Camera Platforms?"
IceCat, great analysis! This falls in the same category as the "log rolling" theory from SII.

What is the "cluster" in the upper right hand corner, not labled as anything? Seems to have a very dark, large shadow, indicating a fairly dense, fairly tall object/structure. It also has a "white spot" seen on several of the "boulders". Could these "white spots" be camera platforms? Is the structure in the upper right hand corner a camera platform up high on a structure or in a tree? Could this be the artificial tree that has been mentioned? Any ideas?

Krautboy

08-29-01, 03:49 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Camera Platforms?"
The camera idea is a great point -- and I'll take it a bit further. Maybe the boulder-like things are HOLLOW (the S2 Stonehedge rocks were all fake foam) and the cameras and/or cameramen are stationed inside them.

Re: the tree -- I can see a tree of some type, the part I have to think is a hoax is the part of a "treehouse" and climbing/walking out onto branches to cast votes.

08-29-01, 06:50 AM (EST)
11. "Further Refinement..."

Meow!

08-29-01, 12:38 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Further Refinement..."
LAST EDITED ON 08-29-01 AT 12:49 PM (EST)

Makes a lot of sense ID -- although I don't know if in the past the jury has had a separate entrance or just used the same one as the tribes

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-01, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Further Refinement..."
Y'all are great! Burnett must be freaking out.

I can't believe that guy got spy satellite photographs of the set. That is AWESOME!! The stakes keep getting higher and higher.

And yes, I realize I'm not spoiling anything, but fawning over all you amazing spoilers is worthy of a post or two! Besides I'm from Texas - I love strategery!

You guys are great - I am SO ready for S3 to start.

pooh

08-29-01, 12:48 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Spy Satellite Photos"
Something else from the maps -- does anyone else think the tribe locations on the below seems a bit strange?

The location for the camp near Nomad Cave -- far from the tree area, and even further from the production camp -- just doesn't make much sense to me.

If anything is going to be close to the production camp, I'd expect it to be the tribal council and not a tribal camp.

08-30-01, 02:02 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Spy Satellite Photos"
Finally... here's the full-size, un-cropped photo:

http://www.spaceimaging.com/ikonos/tribal_camp.jpg

(Must cut and paste into browser... don't want to add it directly to the thread)

08-30-01, 05:33 AM (EST)
18. "Another Zoom..."
Here's a another zoom of the huts/TC set taken from the newer higher resolution image:

There's a little more detail but I think that we aren't going to see anymore detail than we already have.

Now, if someone here works for the CIA or the NSA...

Meow!

08-30-01, 02:22 PM (EST)
19. "My problems with the maps..."
LAST EDITED ON 08-30-01 AT 03:59 PM (EST)

A few things just don't make sense to me about the below map and satellite images...

1) Placing a one camp so close to the production area, and another so far makes no sense to me. In fact, the whole idea of a camp so close to the PA makes no sense to me. The only thing I can see being close to the PA is the tribal council. I can't see how one camp is next door to the PA and close to the tree area while the other is 2 miles away and in the wide open. Other reasons I can't see it being a camp is because I also can't see the idea of putting a latrine INSIDE THE CAMP (does anyone supporting that idea have any actual camping experience,) the "cameraman hut" idea (makes no sense to me why they would need to be so close, they never have been before), and the shear size of these "personal sleeping huts" -- they are huge.

On the other hand, having TC next to the PA makes sense because that's where the contestants spend the fewest time and the only place from which a contestant travels to the PA (after they get voted out.) Plus, it's the location to/from which the most production folks would be "commuting" (a TC requires many more people than the 2 man crews that take turns following the Survivors around camp.)

2) If that is the tribal council, it still seems to be a poor visual (and we all know how much MB likes strong visuals.) Therefore, there is either going to be a hell of a lot of fire and lighting effects during the evening councils, or I'm thinking they might use sunset councils to strengthen the visuals (we heard of this be a possibility for S2, maybe they are finally using it for S3. If you look at the S3 logo it seems to have expanded upon the "sunset" image that was introduced in the S2 logo.

3) The timing of the satellite photos. SpaceImaging.com says that these photos were taken on Aug. 13, 2001. That would defintely be post-merger and very near the end of the show. By that time, given that the crew has to "take everything that they brought", etc. if the two tribes moved to a new post-merger camp, the two original camps were probably well disassembled and no longer exist to be seen on a 2 meter satellite image. All that would be left to see would be the post-merger camp and the TC, and maybe some challenge sites (though doubtful, since most of the last challenges are not big large "sets" like mazes, obstacle courses, etc.) Therefore, other than the TC and the merger camp, there simply wouldn't be much to find.

I guess the bottom line is I'm not sure there's much we can gain from the maps and the images other than the location of the production area and a auxillary production area, and the location of the tribal council. I'm not convinced we have an idea where ANY of the camps -- the two pre-merger and also the post-merger, if such a camp exists again this time -- are located (the map only lists the second camp with a "?" and I don't think the TC location listed on the map is correct.)

Anyone else?

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-30-01, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Post Merger Camp"
I agree that because of the recent date of the photo, it is most likely the tribal council or merged camp. I also seems that 10 huts in a circle plus 1 latrine seperate but still within the fence, supports a merger of two tribes into 1 when they are down to ten.

The concerns about the large size could be explained away by considering the amount of space required for survivor and camera crew and also the need to keep the cameras out of sight when filming. This is easier accomplished with larger huts rather than small ones.

Larger huts also may also have been intended to encourage romance, alliances, secret discussions and other small group dynamics not possible in more cramped quarters. Water supply hammocks, privacy, etc. may have required larger structures in this more dangerous environment than in previous locations.

So, while I like IceCats analysis, I also think the Tribal Council needs a more dramatic location (but hopefully not a plastic TreeHouse).

I am leaning twords the Postmerger Camp.

Krautboy

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-01, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Post Merger Camp"
JEEZ!! I go on vacation for 2 weeks when this board might see a couple of postings a week, and now look! I'm gett'n cranked up for SIII. No spoiler info here, just in agreement with Pooh... what a great start you all have gotten off to!

Just one question. I scanned the posting and I didn't see it addressed (sorry if I missed it)... in IceCats photo - the first one at the top, what is the big man-made item in the upper right area, out of the camp? A stand of lights? A boom? Just wondering...

AyatollahKhomeini 2008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-30-01, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyatollahKhomeini Click to send private message to AyatollahKhomeini Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Disagree"
Krautboy, I know what Dan Bollinger thinks is here, but I can't buy it. Webby, I completely agree -- Bollinger's map and analysis are wrong.

Burnett loves big sets for his TCs. The TC during S1 was set up as a ruin. The lighting people set up the lights so that you could see the magnificent structure, with booms and girders overhead to support the lights. Burnett rejected it, emphasizing that he wanted the contestants to see only the fire and the torches, not the set.

With this kind of setup, he could use the huts as the camera stations/lighting stations, and get rid of the booms and girders entirely (or at least use mobile booms, which could be set up when needed for each TC, and taken down when not needed (a theft precaution in one of the highest-theft places in the world)).

It does make sense to move the camps away from the river (animals and a very dangerous water parasite). That means the camps would have to have well water. Where's the well? AND a latrine inside a walled camp? Oh my, no. Not when you have a well nearby.

I admire Dan Bollinger's effort to get these pictures in conjunction with USA TODAY. I wish I could admire his analysis too! But no.

MakeItStop 1098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-30-01, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MakeItStop Click to send private message to MakeItStop Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: My problems with the maps..."
Other reasons I can't see it being a camp is because I also can't see the idea of putting a latrine INSIDE THE CAMP (does anyone supporting that idea have any actual camping experience,)

I don't think it's so far fetched to have the latrine inside the camp. The following is from a post by shanana banana (sorry I don't know how to do a link to the post). I remembered this post because I was thinking it would be dangerous to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I find this to be very interesting. I was wondering how this new group was going to sleep at night --- because there is no way in hell they would be able to sleep out in the open the way they did in Survivor I and II in an African game park. I've been on two camping safaris in Kenya and Tanzania, and there's one thing that is made abundantly clear: DO NOT step foot out of your tent at night unless you want to possibly become somebody's dinner.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •