The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Alex a Metrosexual?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Shawn0734 97 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-08-05, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shawn0734 Click to send private message to Shawn0734 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Alex a Metrosexual?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-05 AT 04:03 PM (EST)

It was really funny in last night's ebisode when chris called Alex a metrosexual. That was kind of mean and funny, because i was thinking the same thing and right after like 2 seconds, chris came on and he was like, Alex is a Metrosexual. I was like wow. I would'nt be suprised if i came to know that he is actually a Homosexual, he did kinda made a big deal in the Domino's ebisode about all the harrasment and everything.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Alex a Metrosexual? Ellehcar71 04-08-05 1
   RE: Alex a Metrosexual? freakusmaximus 04-08-05 2
       RE: Alex a Metrosexual? Incognito9 04-09-05 9
   RE: Alex a Metrosexual? Shawn0734 04-08-05 3
       RE: Alex a Metrosexual? freakusmaximus 04-08-05 4
       RE: Alex a Metrosexual? Ellehcar71 04-08-05 5
       RE: Alex a Metrosexual? toddE 04-08-05 6
           RE: Alex a Metrosexual? landruajm 04-08-05 7
       RE: Alex a Metrosexual? aaron2kristie 04-09-05 8
 RE: Alex a Metrosexual? Pepito 04-14-05 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Ellehcar71 163 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-08-05, 04:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ellehcar71 Click to send private message to Ellehcar71 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
I don't think "metrosexual" is meant to be a put-down. I think Chris doesn't really understand what it means, nor do you, Shawn. It really is about a guy grooming himself and dressing fashionably - traits often associated with gay men, but now being taken on by straight men - and isn't it about time????

Alex is a self-professed metrosexual, I believe Chris said. My son is a proud metrosexual, and what mother wouldn't be proud that their son bathes and smells nice? I have heard many Hollywood men accept this title for themselves - most recently, Bernie Mac on Oprah. It's just giving a title for straight men who care about their appearences.

freakusmaximus 310 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-08-05, 05:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail freakusmaximus Click to send private message to freakusmaximus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
very true-the two terms are different. however, in this case Alex could be both a metrosexual and a homosexual. its a long shot but I sort of think he likes chris.

Incognito9 1622 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

04-09-05, 10:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Incognito9 Click to send private message to Incognito9 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
Actually, I think Alex could be a Metrosexual if he's sexually attracted to large cities. He is, after all, in NYC on this show.

But maybe the real issue here is whether or not Chris is Metrophobic. By labeling Alex as a Metrosexual, I'm beginning to think Chris may himself be insecure with his internal repressed Metrosexuality. Taking this out on Alex and labeling him as a Metrosexual could be a sort of mechanism Chris has... other than chewing tobacco.

Shawn0734 97 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-08-05, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shawn0734 Click to send private message to Shawn0734 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-05 AT 05:19 PM (EST)

Ellehcar71, I've Never said Metrosexual is a bad thing and i DO KNOW what it means, ThankYou. A Metrosexual is, A straight man who not only grooms,or dresses fashionably. But, also a Man who embraces a homosexual lifestlye, e.g. his taste, his intrests, his actions, like the way he talks and etc. Thanks For sharing about your son and you watching operah. That's nice.

freakusmaximus 310 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-08-05, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail freakusmaximus Click to send private message to freakusmaximus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
so what are your thoughts on alex? my husband seems to think he is gay.

Ellehcar71 163 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-05, 05:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ellehcar71 Click to send private message to Ellehcar71 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
Ouch. Consider myself slapped.

Can't wait to see your remarks on the next "ebisode."

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-08-05, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
Do I really want to get into this?
I think the first part of your definition is fine, and I actually wondered if Alex was a closet case but then I saw him doing motocross. Is motocross a homosexual interest?

Other than having sex with guys, what exactly are homosexual actions?

His taste? His interest? Now a straight guy with homosexual taste and interests? What does that mean?

I think metrosexual is generally used specifically in reference to guys who use a lot of hair products and other grooming stuff, and a higher than average interest in fashion.

landruajm 6040 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-08-05, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail landruajm Click to send private message to landruajm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
I think metrosexual is generally used specifically in reference to guys who use a lot of hair products and other grooming stuff, and a higher than average interest in fashion.

Ka-ching. But it's nice to know that if I'm not a metrosexual, I don't bathe or smell nice.

No wonder women run away shrieking.

aaron2kristie 110 desperate attention whore postings

04-09-05, 05:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aaron2kristie Click to send private message to aaron2kristie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
Below is an article I found on Metrosexual men. Interesting read. Though Alex does seem awfully fond of Chris, but this could be my imagination...And his field of expertise is Theology...I don't know maybe homosexual, maybe bisexual, maybe heterosexual, maybe somewhere in between???

metrosexual (met.roh.SEK.shoo.ul) n. An urban male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.
—metrosexuality n.

Example Citations:

At dinner the other night, my date listed the calorie count of the main entrees, raising an eyebrow at my chicken Alfredo selection after he had ordered a salad. I saw him check his reflection in the silver water pitcher three times. During dessert, he looked deeply into my eyes and told me he thought what we have together is very special. It was our third date.

It was then that I realized why my dating life has been as mysterious as the Bermuda Triangle since I arrived in Washington. This city, unlike any other place I've lived, is a haven for the metrosexual. A metrosexual, in case you didn't catch any of several newspaper articles about this developing phenomenon (or the recent "South Park" episode on Comedy Central), is a straight man who styles his hair using three different products (and actually calls them "products"), loves clothes and the very act of shopping for them, and describes himself as sensitive and romantic. In other words, he is a man who seems stereotypically gay except when it comes to sexual orientation.
—Alexa Hackbarth, "Vanity, Thy Name Is Metrosexual," The Washington Post, November 17, 2003

The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis — because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference. Particular professions, such as modeling, waiting tables, media, pop music and, nowadays, sport, seem to attract them but, truth be told, like male vanity products and herpes, they're pretty much everywhere.
—Mark Simpson, "Meet the metrosexual," Salon.com, July 22, 2002

Notes:
A metrosexual is a clotheshorse wrapped around a dandy fused with a narcissist. Like soccer star David Beckham, who has been known to paint his fingernails, the metrosexual is not afraid to embrace his feminine side. Why "metrosexual"? The metro- (city) prefix indicates this man's purely urban lifestyle, while the -sexual suffix comes from "homosexual," meaning that this man, although he is usually straight, embodies the heightened aesthetic sense often associated with certain types of gay men.

Mark Simpson invented this term in 1994 (see the earliest citation, below), and it drifted slowly from one media source to another throughout the rest of 1990s and early 2000s. Then Simpson wrote another article about metrosexuals in the online magazine Salon.com on July 22, 2002, and the term took off. Since then it has been picked up by thousands of media outlets, has made numerous TV appearances, has spawned at least a couple of books, and has been dropped in untold numbers of cocktail party conversations. There is no escaping the metrosexual.

The second example citation gives Simpson's succinct description of the metrosexual type from his Salon.com article.

Earliest Citation:

The promotion of metrosexuality was left to the men's style press, magazines such as The Face, GQ, Esquire, Arena and FHM, the new media which took off in the Eighties and is still growing (GQ gains 10,000 new readers every month). They filled their magazines with images of narcissistic young men sporting fashionable clothes and accessories. And they persuaded other young men to study them with a mixture of envy and desire.

Some people said unkind things. American GQ, for example, was popularly dubbed ''Gay Quarterly''. Little wonder that all these magazines — with the possible exception of The Face — address their metrosexual readership as if none of them were homosexual or even bisexual.
—Mark Simpson, "Here come the mirror men," The Independent, November 15, 1994

Pepito 587 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-14-05, 08:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Pepito Click to send private message to Pepito Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Alex a Metrosexual?"
...I've been kind of assuming that Alex is gay, way back since episode 2 or so... Didn't really matter to me, so I didn't bring it up, but I do think that he's gay.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •