The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

aabid 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-06-04, 08:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aabid Click to send private message to aabid Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
She’s 27 and most of the fans of AI I think are teens; and so can she maintain the loyalty needed for a lasting career?
Also can tens identify with a step mom?
I’m curious of what the group thinks?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... Ricky 05-06-04 1
 RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... realityluver 05-06-04 2
 RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... strid333 05-06-04 3
 RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... toddE 05-06-04 4
   RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... Bebo 05-06-04 5
       RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... mistofleas 05-06-04 6
           RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... TeamJoisey 05-06-04 8
           RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... Spidey 05-06-04 11
       RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... callalilly3000 05-06-04 10
   RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... love2smile 05-06-04 9
   RE: Is Latoya too old to be an Amer... popcorn_with_sam 05-07-04 13
 Perhaps Latoya is too good TeamJoisey 05-06-04 7
   RE: Perhaps Latoya is too good calamityc 05-07-04 12
       RE: Perhaps Latoya is too good shedevil 05-07-04 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-06-04, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
I thought she was only 25 ? I think teens can identify with a stepmom, many teens may have a stepmom since half of all marriages end in divorce. Although I am curious who her audience is.

realityluver 267 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-06-04, 08:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realityluver Click to send private message to realityluver Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
She is 25, about the same age as Ruben and Clay were during the show last year.

I don't think the majority of AI fans are teens. I'm in my 30's and I know tons of people my age and older that watch (and vote) this show.

"Nothing comes between me and my TV!!!"

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-06-04, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
Even when I was a teenager (I'm 23), I couldn't appreciate the teen pop sensations (esp Britney). I liked the older singers and the older music. The Rolling Stones and The Beatles being what I liked the most.

Three is the perfect number. RMNW!

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-06-04, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
I kind of agree. I don't think her actual age is the issue--as noted by the poster who pointed out that she's actually younger than Ruben and Clay--but the age she presents, or her maturity level.

LaToya comes across as very mature, and I think that is going to hurt her. It's part of why they say she lacks "personality."

All ages watch the show, but I think the CD sales are primarily females under 30. I can't prove it, but I think that's the market who bought both Kelly's and Clay's albums. I don't know anyone over 30 or ANY males of any age who have either one.

LaToya is definitely the most professional singer left, but I bet the producers want Fantasia, because she's the most unique and marketable (Diana is also marketable to a totally different crowd).

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-06-04, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
>All ages watch the show, but
>I think the CD sales
>are primarily females under 30.
> I can't prove it,
>but I think that's the
>market who bought both Kelly's
>and Clay's albums. I
>don't know anyone over 30
>or ANY males of any
>age who have either one.

Clay has an obsessive older women fan market. When he returns to his hometown, the crowds following his every move are either tweens or over 50. Given the callers who contact the local radio stations about him, I know that there is a large number of older women who are Clayniacs.

I could tell you about one 50-something woman I know who has Clay screen savers and posters all through her work cubicle, and she's not unique round these parts.

Snarky, smart, S7 Anti-Bootee Champ and YOUR American Idol.

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-04, 11:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
I could tell you about one 50-something woman I know who has Clay screen savers and posters all through her work cubicle, and she's not unique round these parts.

Is her name Mrs. Robinson? *grin*

--is waiting patiently for the next Tom Jones

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-06-04, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"

That's not unusual.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-04, 07:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
My school is right across the street from an arena and one night Kelly and Clay were performing. As I walked to my car in the lot, I passed (I sh!t you not) dozens of "mature lady type" vehicles with clay bumper stickers and one CLAYM8 license plate and one CLYMTE plate.

Too, too much.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-06-04, 07:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
You have a great point. I am in my late 30's, and not only did I buy Clay's CD, but I went to his concert. I bought a T-shirt, key chain, etc. I even have Clay Aiken wallpaper on my computer screen, but in my own defense, I have to son's who also enjoy Clay's music.

love2smile 194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-06-04, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail love2smile Click to send private message to love2smile Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
I'm over 30 and I have Clay's CD.

popcorn_with_sam 154 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-07-04, 01:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail popcorn_with_sam Click to send private message to popcorn_with_sam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Is Latoya too old to be an American Idol?"
I'm over 40 and just recently bought Clay's cd as well. I like it more every time I listen to it.

I am considering buying Ruben's and I will buy Kimberly Locke's as soon as I can find it.

It's not a "idol-worship" thing for me like when I was a teenager. I just enjoy listening to the songs and not having to censor them for my 6 year old. (Thinking of the Pink cd my husband received for his birthday!!)

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-06-04, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Perhaps Latoya is too good "
LAST EDITED ON 05-06-04 AT 11:44 AM (EST)

I think LaToya seems old for two reasons.

1. She is very mature and reserved, and she dresses and carries herself with dignity. Her voice is very mature, and sounded best doing the big band songs.

2. There were a lot of kids and/or immature performers in the finals. LaToya looks like an older mentor to the likes of Jasmine, Jennifer and John.

Despite the demographics and the rabid teen voters, LaToya is certainly the overwhelming favorite to win, and has been the obvious frontrunner since the finals began. And that, of course, is why the editors hid her through all the audition rounds. There's not much suspense to this season.

Which is why I said weeks ago that she doesn't really belong here. She's too good for amateur hour.

During the audition process they discovered a real talent. They should have given LaToya a contract and then given her spot in the finals to someone else. They didn't do that because they are using these 30 shows as a LaToya London promotional vehicle.

Kelly Clarkson's win was like hitting the lottery.
Clay and Ruben were a great competition.
This season? bleah.

AI has jumped the shark.

Edited because bad spelling freaks me out.

calamityc 1041 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-07-04, 01:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail calamityc Click to send private message to calamityc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Perhaps Latoya is too good "
Kelly Clarkson's win was like hitting the lottery.
Clay and Ruben were a great competition.
This season? bleah.

I think you have hit on something here, but for a different reason. When AI first started out, they might have wanted to find an unknown who fit in some marketable category. But what they succeeded in doing was making stars out of people who would probably not have gotten the chance by going traditional routes. People like to see someone win who is made a star right before their very eyes. I think LaToya could have made it without AI, but she will probably still win.

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-07-04, 02:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Perhaps Latoya is too good "
I don't think Latoya is as great as people say she is. She sings good and that's it. She looks 35 not 25, and she presents herself as a 40 year old, she's not really what I would call a Pop Idol, I think she belongs on Broadway not MTV.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •