The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Strategy..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Current Message

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-12-07, 07:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "Episode #4 Thoughts"

A spoiled boot list may prove that we're off track but we'll still forge ahead, looking for stories that spoilers can't tell.

It’s a miserable game this Race:

Rob and Amber were in the thoughts of many teams during this episode and almost all the important actions revolved around their demise. How were the remaining teams portrayed and how could that impact their future?

The Dragon Slayers

Uchenna and Joyce started this leg reminding us of their previous encounter with Rob and Amber. Joyce told us that: “Rob and Amber beat us a lot on our season but they didn’t beat us when it counted. That hurt, I’m sure.” Uchenna added: “I believe that some sort of rivalry has build up from us beating them. I’m sure they want to set the record straight. We welcome the rematch because it is healthy competition.”

Was Uchenna still feeling that way in the taxi to Barco Viejo and the shipwreck? He told us: “The stewardess was writing down information for me when Rob walked in and stole it.” What ensued was a head-to-head confrontation between the Tar 7 rivals: Uchenna and Joyce reached the detour in Punta Arenas seconds ahead of Romber. Thinking Magellan left from Guam, they had trouble putting their signs in the proper order. Finally, Joyce figured it out and their recovery enabled them to finish the “Magellan’s journey around the world” post first. The advantage didn’t last long as both teams found themselves on the second charter to Ushuaia.

The rivals boarded the same boat to the roadblock: “We’re going to take the boat with Rob and Amber…Our old friends… I felt the tension of competition and, after the Charla and Mirna thing, I felt the desire to beat Rob and Amber” said Uchenna. Joyce found her letter first and they reached the Pit Stop in 6th place. We saw them happily greeting Charla and Mirna in 7th place, sharing high and low fives for toppling the team that had won the first 3 legs.

The rivalry with Rob and Amber HAD to be part of Uchenna and Joyce’s race. It “should” have surfaced in episode #1 and then our task would have been to see if it was their only story. The rivalry appeared only in Rob and Amber’s final leg and, as such, it was more part of the homage to Rob and Amber than part of Uchenna and Joyce’s story. They had no story before this leg and they have none now. We are forced to draw the conclusion that they don’t have any future in this race.

Charla and Mirna had another tough leg. Mirna started by informing us that: “I work very hard mentally, physically…Charla obviously wants to contribute but I do more than any one single person has probably had to do on the race to compensate for any shortcomings (sic) that we have.” As far as their antics are concerned, Mirna continued to be the harpy while Charla forgot their bag and wasted time at the “Sign It” Detour. The way Mirna stepped on the map during the “Navigate It” Detour reminded me of an old Seinfeld bit!

Their interactions with Rob and Amber were much more interesting. They were outwitted at every turn: Last out of the airport in Ushuaia, Charla and Mirna called for a taxi but despite their annoying whistle, the taxi took Romber instead. They’re “crazy…they’re out of their mind if they think that (Rob was) getting out” of that taxi. Looking for the clue box at the Playa Larga beach, they followed Rob and Amber down the wrong trail. They fell for Amber’s “I got it” trick. The machination left the cousins in last place even if Mirna claimed that: “As an attorney, I know when somebody is lying.” Charla got nowhere when she confronted Amber at the pier. Amber simply denied any wrongdoings: “You thought I was talking to you? No, I was talking to him, telling him I got it, I figured out where the clue was.” It made the cousins look like gullible racers in the eyes of the other teams waiting for the boat: They had heard Amber telling the story.

The scene where they were hopelessly huddled against the wind, waiting for the last boat and what looked like certain elimination, wasn’t intended to make them look as the type of racers who could beat Romber. Nevertheless, they reached the post office while Rob was still searching. “Shut the hell up” yelled Mirna while sorting the letters “you lie all the time.” She was happy to find her letter first even if it was a spiteful one from Lance and Marshall.

In the end, after more screeching exhortations from Mirna, Charla ran, stumbled, crawled and was helped by Uchenna to the Pit stop, victorious. “That’s the way to never quit, that’s the key to this game; you never quit because you don’t know what will happen” said Uchenna.

With that, the dragon was slain by a dwarf. Tolkien would have been proud!

Part by circumstance, the cousins being always at the back of the pack, and part by editing, every team that has crossed paths with Charla and Mirna has been eliminated. John Vito and Jill went through the same southern entrance as the cousins but weren’t as lucky. We saw Drew losing a footrace to Charla, while Mirna said the Festers drove like girls. Mary decided to break her alliance with them and now the lying Rob and Amber are gone. Could they eliminate every team that has done them wrong? If so, it’s a bad sign for Teri and Ian, the Guidos and the Beauty Queens. Except for Uchenna and Joyce who have no story, only Eric and Danielle haven’t incured their wrath. Is it how it will end? With Uchenna giving them a story of never quitting, Charla and Mirna appear to be in this race for quite a while.

The following teams didn’t play a key role in eliminating Rob and Amber but, we know that they wanted to say: “It was nice to beat you!”

We didn’t hear about the mistake Dustin and Kandice made last week during the recap. Kandice’s opening statement went to correcting what had slowed them down up to now: “The reason for our inconsistencies is that we overthink a little bit…If there is a solution…it would be to do our preparation, trust ourselves and then letting go.” It tied in with the learning from errors theme that as been recurring in many episodes.

As they left the Pit Stop, Kandice also told us that: “We haven’t seen Rob and Amber so I couldn’t give you an assessment on them, except that they’re fast, and they’ve won three legs in a row. Rob and Amber are the team to beat.” In Punta Arenas, they had their first interactions with Romber. They proposed to team up after both teams had failed at the “Sign It” Detour. They also had trouble with the “Navigate It” Detour going to the wrong building. It made them realize that working with Rob and Amber wasn’t necessarily the best decision. Dustin joked about it: “Here we are with Rob and Amber, stinking it up at the back of the pack” while Rob fumed at not being first and Amber called him out on it!

Dustin and Kandice had some interesting moments outside their interactions with Romber. They were on the second plane carrying 5 teams but once more they managed to exit the airport first. After a rather cold portrayal during the last season, we’ve started to see a more personal story this time. Oswald informed us that: “I’ll tell you who is a big snorer. Kandice snores up a storm, that girl…Attention men!” At the airport, Dustin joked with Oswald who had talked Spanish with the agent: “You just said don’t let these blondes on the plane, didn’t you?” Oswald responded: “If I were to stab you, I would stab you right in the front, not in the back.” We heard them laughing at the cousins when, on the way to the post office, they said “Charla and Mirna are going to have a hard time.” Kandice joked with Joe about her manicure while sorting mail. More importantly, the bad blood from last season’s confrontation with Bama was partly put to rest with Lyn’s letter. The encouragement for a fellow Edition 10 racer was nice to hear as were some of the other letters.

This team again misread the clue of the detour, thinking the signs had to point in the right directions. They haven’t duplicated their results from last season but they are still receiving airtime. What was a consistent edit as improved by adding a more human touch to their story. They aren’t just fierce competitors who others hate but they are appreciated and still have fair results. The elimination of Rob and Amber signals the end of Act I. It will be interesting to see if their story develops.

Oswald and Danny had such a good leg that it seemed the cameras couldn’t keep up with them! At the first airport, they asked Uchenna and Joyce if they had seen Romber, concluding that the couple had probably gone for breakfast. “They creep up” agreed Joyce.

They were the first back to the airport after completing the “Navigate it” detour and we saw their happy dance at being on the first charter. They shared their happiness with Eric and Danielle when they saw that Rob and Amber where nowhere to be found. Then, they stood on the second floor overlooking the ticket counter to see the order of arrivals.

Landing in Ushuaia, they were the first to see the clue box at Playa Larga and were on the first boat to the Bahia Lapataia. The roadblock was easily completed by Oswald and they enjoyed a nice letter from Blake and Paige. They were off to the pit stop and warned Phil: “We’ve made it to the end of the world for you Phil, so say something nice.” They embraced their first place at the pit stop, even asking Phil to join them on their vacation prize. Phil politely declined.

This team is obviously a strong team and the fun they share is well presented. The race is reaching Act II and should be leaving Spanish speaking countries soon. Will it still be so easy for them? We have no reason to see them not making the final 4.

Eric and Danielle were first to the Nautilus building at the end of the “Navigate It” detour. Eric had fun with Danielle’s mistake of going to Australia and then they both had fun with the Cha-Chas at the airport. “Where the hell are Rob and Amber?” asked Danielle. “Who knows” replied Eric. “Hopefully they are really lost.” They surprised the 3rd place team of Teri and Ian by throwing a baseball cap on them as they were registering for the first charter. “Where are we going partying?” asked a happy Ian when they joined the other front runners. Eric and Danielle outraced Oswald and Danny to the boat but lost a bit of time at the post office. Both laughed at Dani and Jeremy’s letter advising them: “No babies on the race.”

Eric is starting to get similar results with Danielle as he enjoyed with Jeremy yet we haven’t heard him say anything praiseworthy to her. She still has to prove herself. Their story isn’t flattering but it has room to grow.

Joe and Bill started by telling us that being so low in the standings was a real eye opener. Their leg was reduced to telling us that Charla and Mirna are good at talking to people (?) and showing that Rob was having a tough day. The Guidos quickly passed him during the “Navigate It” Detour: “What the heck are they still doing here?” asked a surprised Bill. “We’ve passed Rob and Amber…Team Guido is back on track.”

Second out of the airport in Ushuaia, they were right behind the Beauty Queens. It enabled them to stay ahead of the battle to avoid elimination that the last 3 teams were engaged in.

Besides getting a much nicer edit and showing their love for each other, the Guidos have no race related stories. They could be exiting soon.

Racing on their own
Teri and Ian had to plead their way into the first flight to Ushuaia at the airport. Their only interaction with other teams was during the lay-over for the first charter. Arriving first at Playa Larga, they took the wrong trail for the clue box. That left them alone on the boat to the post office. Ian encouraged Teri during her mail sorting roadblock. “There’s no more teams here yet so we’re going to be sweet.” They lovingly raced in their own little world, easily finishing third, kissing each other at Phil’s request.

Who would have thought that this explosive couple would have a storyline that reminded me of the “Nerds,” David and Lori, of race 9? Their story is not progressing either. They are on their own journey, enjoying a wonderful world.

With the elimination of Rob and Amber, Act I is now over. Last season’s act I had been the confrontation between Mary and the tri-athlete. Rob and Kimberly and Bama emerged only after the start of Act II. We could still get new storylines but we knew these racers when the show started. The presentations were unnecessary, we could have plunged immediately into their stories. Uchenna/Joyce have played their role, Joe/Bill and Teri/Ian have been redeemed. That leaves Oswald/Danny, Eric/Danielle, Charla/Mirna and Dustin/Kandice as our featured racers even while Romber’s story took most of our attention.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Strategy...   michel     02-08-07       
   RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   hinghamwx     02-08-07     1  
   RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   geg6     02-09-07     2  
     RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   Earl Colby Pottinger     02-09-07     3  
         RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   ulalame     02-13-07     8  
     RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   bobstew617     02-11-07     5  
     RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   Flowerpower     02-12-07     6  
     RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   Cygnus X1     02-13-07     7  
   RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   J Slice     02-10-07     4  
   RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   mavs_fan     02-14-07     9  
   RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   CTgirl     02-14-07     10  
     RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   mjames1229     02-22-07     25  
   Episode # Thoughts   michel     02-19-07     11  
     RE: Episode #1 Thoughts   Cygnus X1     02-19-07     12  
     RE: Episode # Thoughts   CTgirl     02-19-07     13  
     RE: Episode # Thoughts   donracefan     02-19-07     14  
         RE: Episode # 1 Comments   michel     02-20-07     15  
             RE: Episode # 1 Comments   Cygnus X1     02-20-07     18  
             RE: The Race is Easy If You've Lear...   CTgirl     02-20-07     19  
     RE: Episode # Thoughts   mysticwolf     02-20-07     16  
     RE: Episode # Thoughts   Flowerpower     02-20-07     17  
         RE: Episode # Thoughts   AyaK     02-21-07     20  
             RE: Episode # Thoughts   ulalame     02-21-07     21  
                 RE: Episode # Thoughts   geg6     02-21-07     22  
                     RE: Episode # Thoughts   Cygnus X1     02-21-07     23  
                         RE: Episode # Thoughts   canadafan     02-21-07     24  
             More Episode # 1 Comments   michel     02-22-07     26  
   Episode 2 Thoughts   CTgirl     02-26-07     27  
     RE: Episode 2 Thoughts   michel     02-26-07     28  
         RE: Episode 2 Thoughts   donracefan     02-27-07     29  
             RE: Episode 2 Thoughts   beau_30     02-27-07     30  
             RE: Episode 2 Thoughts   asdf row     03-01-07     31  
     RE: Episode 2 Comments   michel     03-03-07     33  
         RE: Episode 2 Comments   CTgirl     03-03-07     34  
   RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   Earl Colby Pottinger     03-03-07     32  
     RE: Tar 11: The All-Stars, the Stra...   AyaK     03-03-07     35  
   Ep. 3 Thoughts   Cygnus X1     03-05-07     36  
     RE: Ep. 3 Thoughts   michel     03-05-07     37  
         RE: Ep. 3 Thoughts   CTgirl     03-06-07     38  
   Episode #4 Thoughts   michel     03-12-07     39  
     RE: Episode #4 Thoughts   CTgirl     03-13-07     40  
         RE: Episode #4 Thoughts   donracefan     03-19-07     41  
             RE: Episode #4 Thoughts   dragonflies     03-19-07     42  
   Episode #5 Thoughts   michel     03-19-07     43  
     RE: Episode #5 Thoughts   CTgirl     03-20-07     44  
         RE: Episode #5 Thoughts   michel     03-20-07     45  
             RE: Episode #5 Thoughts   Peetah     03-20-07     46  
             RE: Episode #5 Thoughts   CTgirl     03-20-07     47  
                 RE: Episode #5 Comments   michel     03-20-07     48  
   Episode 6 Thoughts   CTgirl     03-27-07     49  
     RE: Episode 6 Thoughts   michel     03-27-07     50  
         RE: Episode 6 Thoughts   CTgirl     03-27-07     51  
   Thoughts: The 7th and 8th legs   michel     04-02-07     52  
     RE: Thoughts: The 7th and 8th legs   CTgirl     04-03-07     53  
     Charla & Mirna   mavs_fan     04-07-07     54  
   Episode 9   beau_30     04-09-07     55  
     Episode 9: Thoughts   michel     04-10-07     56  
         RE: Episode 9: Thoughts   CTgirl     04-10-07     57  
   Episode #10: Thoughts   michel     04-16-07     58  
     RE: Episode #10: Thoughts   CTgirl     04-22-07     59  
   Episode 11   CTgirl     04-24-07     60  
     RE: Episode 11   michel     04-25-07     61  
         RE: Episode 11   Peetah     04-26-07     62  
             RE: Episode 11   michel     04-26-07     63  
                 RE: Episode 11   Peetah     04-27-07     65  
         RE: Episode 11   CTgirl     04-26-07     64  
             RE: Episode 11   michel     04-27-07     66  
                 RE: Episode 11   mavs_fan     04-28-07     67  
   The Final 3: Thoughts   michel     05-01-07     68  
     RE: The Final 3: Thoughts   CTgirl     05-01-07     69  
         RE: The Final 3: Thoughts   michel     05-01-07     70  
         RE: The Final 3: Thoughts   Peetah     05-02-07     71  
             RE: The Final 3: Thoughts   CTgirl     05-02-07     72  
                 RE: The Final 3: Thoughts   LeftPinky     05-03-07     73  
   Post-race thoughts   CTgirl     05-09-07     74  
     RE: Post-race thoughts   michel     05-10-07     75  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •