The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"New Survivor Stock Market Game"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

LionChow 2033 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

11-10-02, 10:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LionChow Click to send private message to LionChow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"New Survivor Stock Market Game"
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-02 AT 07:52 AM (EST)

Post withdrawn

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: New Survivor Stock Market Game Kokoro 11-10-02 1
 RE: New Survivor Stock Market Game OceanSkater 11-11-02 2
 RE: New Survivor Stock Market Game Outfrontgirl 11-11-02 3
   Whoa! LionChow 11-11-02 4
 RE: New Survivor Stock Market Game magic_star 11-11-02 5
 I'm in... ejm92 11-11-02 6
 Can I join too? bichon 11-11-02 7
   RE: Can I join too? ejm92 11-12-02 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-10-02, 11:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: New Survivor Stock Market Game"
Well if you want to take the extra time, you could throw in challenges. You should really ask OFG for tips - her and Kis were the SBMarket queens way back during Survivor 2.

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

OceanSkater 315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-11-02, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OceanSkater Click to send private message to OceanSkater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: New Survivor Stock Market Game"
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-02 AT 12:58 PM (EST)

I would like to dump 50 shares of Ken as of today 11/11. I would hate to let them go for less than $5 each. I am willing to trade for some Brian shares straight across. Also I have about 50 shares of Jake available at $10 each, and $5 Penny shares(100 of those). I will buy some Jan shares at $5 a piece.

Now, once you OK the sales, are we keeping track or are you or both?

Is it obvious I don't do stocks? My idea of a good investment is really good seats at a Stones concert. And cheap real estate.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-11-02, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: New Survivor Stock Market Game"
Since Kokoro mentioned me--
yes, it's true that Kismet and I played the Survivor Market game really hard in S2, as did landruajm and technoir. That game was quite elaborate, created and run by an outside company that went belly up the week of the Amber boot, so we all got burned on our long term investments.

Since I presume you're not programming the game to be run by clicking to buy and sell, I'm not sure how much that game set-up will help you, but I will tell you how it worked and you can see what you want to adapt.

Some features of that game:

The stock was paid off if it was the correct answer to a question. There were lots of questions:

Some examples:

Who will be the sole Survivor?
Who will be the last Ogakor? Kucha?

There were weekly questions for who would win IC/RC/ and who would get booted. If there was any doubt there would be a clear winner then None of the Above was an option, because there had to be ONE answer that would pay off.

We could create questions; I did several. You could have Yes/No questions where there were only 2 answers, or up to 16 possible answers, but a complete answer set always cost the same amount of money (see below).

Ex of custom questions:
How many women will be in the Final 4?
Will any Survivor get a family visit?
Combination of names who make final 4.
Final 2 combinations.
For these questions with combinations it was important to include None of the Above as an option.

The questions came onto the market as complete sets of all possible answers. Players who opted to become "Market Makers" could buy a set. The correct answer was worth $100 and it cost $100 to buy a set, so if you did nothing with it you broke even.

The idea was to keep the answer you thought was correct and dump the others. Some answers were hot and some were not. You had to adjust your asking price for the hot items to compensate for unsalable stock.

If there were 5 answers and you could manage to sell most of them plus you managed to keep the correct answer you kept you would easily double or treble your money.

I managed to get to #1 for a fleeting moment primarily as a Market Maker.

Because every share of stock that got created was issued as a complete set of the answers (ex: Survivors)--large stockpiles of less popular Survivors accrued.

I had an immense stockpile of Tina stock. No one wanted to buy it, whereas Amber stock was very hot due to the Lis/Amber final 2 hoax theory. Colby would go up and down.

There were a lot of players going on emotions. Stock that Jerri would get booted was very hot every week, lol.

Trading: there were two listings:
Stock offers (for sale) and stock bids (to buy).

Stock available to be bought for each question was listed with the price and who was offering it. The game was all electronic so the trading was fast and furious. You could drop your stock to underbid another player at any time. Obviously, everyone bought the stock for a question that was the lowest in price, so if no one was taking you had to drop your price until there was some buyer who would take it off your hands.

Ex: By dropping Jerri as sole survivor down to $.25, someone was willing to buy it and since I had thousands of them from buying sets, something was better than nothing.

The bids were also listed by trader, item, and the price they were willing to pay. It was dangerous to leave your orders standing when an episode was running (or this season, when Snewser or PT's pick is about to come out).

Basically, anyone who had a standing order was open to get sold bum stock once the real answer aired.

After each episode aired--the correct answers for that episode paid off and went back into your trading account. The long term answers weren't paying off until later or the end of the game.

The balance between short term and long term stock was one of the important parts of strategy, because if you tied up all your money in long term stock you had no money coming in for right answers and would tend to run out of funds for acquiring new stock for the weekly questions.

As I said, the game stopped in Ep 11, so no one could be said to have won, because they never paid off on the sole survivor stock or the last of each tribe.

btw, I think we started with $100,000 or some large amount. We were not given any stock to start. I believe that SurvivorBlows acted as the first Market Maker to create sets and put out the initial stock offerings until players caught on to the Market Maker strategy.

I think upping the amount of fantasy money that players get (and the cost of stock) is a good idea. Since it's not real money, might as well inflate the figures so players can try to make a million dollars; it adds to the cyber-thrill.

Ah, memories of when I was a contender!

"as for the truth, it seems we just pick a theory"--Indigo Girls, Deconstruction

LionChow 2033 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-02, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LionChow Click to send private message to LionChow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Whoa!"
Thanks for the reply OFG it's much appreciated, and, OMH!

I don't want to (can't) go nearly that far. If I'm going to be able to run this, I don't think I can do much beyond what is described above. I can see where the questions would keep things fresh from week to week, but time won't allow it. I think I'm going to wait and see who jumps in. If it isn't going to fly, I think I'll know pretty quickly and I'll shelve it accordingly.

I'm envisioning the buy and sell orders being placed in the thread, or privately via e-mail, IM, etc. We'll see how it goes.

magic_star 2400 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

11-11-02, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail magic_star Click to send private message to magic_star Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: New Survivor Stock Market Game"
I'll play. Sounds like fun. I'm not very good with rules and those sort of things so I don't have any suggestions.

The Cubs win the World Series!Cubbies Win!Cubbies Win!

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-02, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "I'm in..."
I have had more computer time recently, and the more Survivor games, the more fun...add me in.

bichon 124 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-11-02, 11:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bichon Click to send private message to bichon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Can I join too?"
What's IM?

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings

11-12-02, 00:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Can I join too?"
IM is just short for AOL Instant Messenger...if you don't have it, go to http://www.aim.com and you can get it for free.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •