The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Who Knew?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-02-02, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Who Knew?"
I've seen a fair amount of bashing and scorn for the survivors because they weren't smart enough to pick up on the non-merge - they apparently all got sucked in.

So, many of us must be a lot smarter than the survivors (I guess that goes without saying), but I'm curious about who honestly knew that Jiffy was playing with them and there wasn't going to be a merger as the show unfolded. Now, don't play unfair and say that going into the show you knew there wasn't going to be a merger and you were right. I'm asking, as the show unfolded you can honestly say you never got sucked in.

Respond to this in the subject line - I knew - or I got sucked in. And if you want tell us why.

I'll be first to go.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 I got sucked in sittem 11-02-02 1
 Not Me... IceCat 11-02-02 2
 I got sucked in too....... bubbastan 11-02-02 3
 Not Me Either... ejm92 11-02-02 4
 RE: Who Knew? surface10sion 11-02-02 5
   RE: Who is Jiffy bubbastan 11-02-02 6
 I Got Sucked In... Survivorerist 11-02-02 7
 Had me going dabo 11-03-02 8
 I figured. But then... Fast Eddie 11-03-02 9
 Sucked In ShowMeTheWinner 11-04-02 10
   RE: ShowMeTheWinner 11-04-02 11
 I got sucked in! PhoenixMons 11-04-02 12
 RE: Who Knew? Draco Malfoy 11-04-02 13
 I got sucked in.... managerr 11-04-02 14
 RE: Who Knew? blacknwhitedog 11-04-02 15
 I knew Q 11-04-02 16
 I got sucked in... Sophie 11-04-02 17
   RE: I Knew smrtNsassybnkr 11-05-02 18
 RE: Who Knew? bichon 11-06-02 19
 Not fooled Bert 11-09-02 20
 My 10 year old knew janisella 11-13-02 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-02, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "I got sucked in"
LAST EDITED ON 11-02-02 AT 09:19 AM (EST)

'Cause I'm not as smart as everyone else. Guess I'd be a prime candidate for the show! I should have known, however, I'm sitting there trying to figure out how Penny survives because everyone knows Shii is gone. This is why I generally don't comment in Spoilers.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-02-02, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Not Me..."
... and it really made this episode enjoyable. I guess its that whole dramatic irony thing (where the audience knows something that the characters don't).

Seriously, though...

Once they made it back to the beach and they were still wearing separate buffs it was entirely obvious what was going on. I cannot believe that the tribes did not even suspect. I think that they did and those comments were edited out.

Note how Shii Ann says '... this is definitely for individual immunity...' when she is reading the tree mail. It was almost as though she was trying to convince herself (and the others) that the tribes had truly been merged.

bubbastan 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-02-02, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bubbastan Click to send private message to bubbastan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "I got sucked in too......."
I was sitting there with my friends watching and at the point where he announces that they were going to be living together at the same beach and that the folks painted alike were going to pair up and get to know eachother better, we were all grumbling to the effect "THAT'S the BIG surprise??????" You know, the big build up to nothing that had been the hallmark of this season. But later, when anounced that the two teams would remain separate we were in total shock.

I really love that things didn't continue on the same well-worn path every installment. A lot of folks don't like these twists, but I say keep them coming (except for the purple rock, that is).

All that being said, however, I still think Shii Ann earned some jeers for selling out her tribe so openly and for just being so blatant about currying the Chewy Gang's favor. If you're going to go Benedict Arnold, you really should be a bit more secretive about it IMHO.

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

11-02-02, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Not Me Either..."
I knew the episode title was "Assumptions", and as soon as they "Merged" without any assumptions being broken, I knew it had to be still a two tribal split, but I agree, it was much fun to watch play out.

surface10sion 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-02-02, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail surface10sion Click to send private message to surface10sion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Who Knew?"
who is jiffy?

bubbastan 625 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-02, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bubbastan Click to send private message to bubbastan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Who is Jiffy"
Jiffy is just a nickname for Jeff Probst. Actually, it's one of many.....

Survivorerist 4103 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-02, 11:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorerist Click to send private message to Survivorerist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "I Got Sucked In..."
but then again, I watch the show for fun, so I didn't really want to know in the first place. In fact, the thought of a non-merger never even crossed my mind.

(Another IceCat original )

The Top 5 FLL Castaways

1. Neleh Dennis (11 weeks at #1)
2. Colby Donaldson (5 weeks at #1)
3. Amber Brkich (4 weeks at #1)
3. Lex Van Den Burghe (4 weeks at #1)
5. Elisabeth Filarski (3 weeks at #1)

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

11-03-02, 00:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Had me going"
For a little bit. But when they picked Chuay Gahn for a new name I realized they hadn't been told to pick a new tribe name, make a new tribe flag, etc.

Wonder what would have happened had Shii Ann and Stephanie taken the voluntary swap?

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings

11-03-02, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "I figured. But then..."
I think we viewers had the advantage. It was made far more clear to the viewing public than just the carefully chosen words the players got.

For once, I wasn't upset by the mid-game change in the rules. I guess I've given up on Survivor as a game of skill and now look on it as just simple entertainment.

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

11-04-02, 03:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Sucked In"
I'm basing my choice on how I would react if I were one of the contestants there. Can any of us actually predict that there wouldn't be a traditional merge if it weren't for the spoilers from the previews? I know that most of my non-spoiler friends had expected a traditional merge and they didn't dissect Jiffy's speech word for word. I don't think most of us would have paid too much attention to Jiffy's speech if we hadn't seen the previews of the prison challenge.

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

11-04-02, 03:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE:"
And congratulations to SMTW for her 500th post

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

11-04-02, 06:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "I got sucked in!"
We didn't get to watch the show until yesterday (mi familia went out to dinner during Survivor so we had to watch it SO much later) and my husband and I were just discusing this very thing (actually more like debating).

I honestly don't think I would have suspected for a minute that this was not to be a merge. Of course, as viewers, we have a much better idea of what's about to hapen (or not happen in this case) based upon clues we've been given throughout the episodes. The castaways aren't privy to the same information...and even if they were, I'd like to think that 18 days on an island with a bunch of strangers whom you may or may not like at all would have a major influence on that little part of your brain that tells you that these clues all add up to no merger. Of course I thought "hmmmmm, that's odd, there's no choosing a tribe name/painting the flag/getting new buffs", but since this is supposed to be a "different" Survivor, I figured there must be some new way of doing this. And I'm certain the last thing the survivors thought about when put into their new living arrangements was that it might not be a merge...despite what clues there may have been to tell them that it was not a merge. I think most people take things as they see them and analyze only when they see the need. I don't think a single one of them (as evident by their collective shock) felt they had any reason to analyze this situation and just took all the things they HAD been told and assumed merge.

My husband (who doesn't like Shii Ann) seemed to think she should have known (even though he had no idea) or at elast should have kept her mouth shut until after the IC just in case. It sure is a lot easier for us to say "she should have/could have" though, isn't it?

Anyway, sittem, I was totally and completely sucked in...even knowing all of the detailed list of events that take place with a merge (choosing a tribal name, painting the flag, getting new buffs, etc.) I had no clue - and I'd like to think I'm smarter than the survivors

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-02, 07:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Who Knew?"
I wasn't fooled. No new buffs= no merge. The lack of any tribe name on the confessionals just confirmed it for me.

The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir... Beware!

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

11-04-02, 10:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "I got sucked in...."
Although, I'd like to think that I'd be smart enough to not sell out my entire tribe so soon (and so openly), especially to some stranger from the enemy team who just so happened to pick the same color body paint as I did.

Then again, I didn't spend 18 days living on an island with Robb, Penny, Stephanie, and Erin--I can see how your level of intelligence would drop down to the level of the people you were with.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-02, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Who Knew?"
I suspected no merge due to the discussion on these boards. When they didn't receive new buffs or a new flag, I knew there was no merge.

But the looks on their faces, especially Shii Ann, was just priceless. It made for some good TV.

blacknwhitedog
It's just a show, I should really just relax...mst3k

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-04-02, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Q Click to send private message to Q Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "I knew"
Alright we had the benefit of previews and the epsiode title hinting at no merge, then all the talk about living together, etc.

But when they came up with a tribe name on their own, it dawned on me. They were never asked to do that, why...?

They have no paints (for the flag at least) and no material to make a flag, they are assuming things.

I knew instantly and was sooo upset Shii was doing what she was doing.

So in closing, it was obvious to me, but I do not think it would have been if I had not seen previews and been thinking about it prior to the episode.

D.R.

Sophie 2407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

11-04-02, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sophie Click to send private message to Sophie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "I got sucked in..."
Add me to that list.

smrtNsassybnkr 332 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-05-02, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smrtNsassybnkr Click to send private message to smrtNsassybnkr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: I Knew"
After 4 previous shows, the survivor's SHOULD have known to listen to Jeff carefully! Especially SJ because they didn't listen too well in the boat/basket challenge on the physical contact rules. Jeff NEVER said you will merge or be one tribe or anything like that. Just you will live on one beach and that they should get to know one another. If they have to live on one beach, they should get to know one another because they have to try to live with some kind of harmony. (not to mention, this is a good chance to observe the dynamics of the other tribe, and try to "stir the pot" a little.(The feast at camp WAS a little misleading though) Also, I don't think they would merge without getting new buffs and a new flag. The minute Shii Ann started blabbing her mouth to Clay, I knew she was a goner. I don't think they will merge this week either. I think Jiffy will draw it out as long as possible(Ep 9).

The only thing I want to know is who is getting ShiiAnned next?

bichon 124 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-06-02, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bichon Click to send private message to bichon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Who Knew?"
Perhaps you should phrase it in a different way: Who would have saw through it if they were one of the survivors?

Certainly not me.

Bert 170 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-09-02, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bert Click to send private message to Bert Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Not fooled"
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-02 AT 01:54 PM (EST)

I thought that it was pretty obivous that they weren't merging- Jeff never gave them new buffs, they never were told to pick a new name, and he explicitly avioded the word merge. The only thing that worried me was the light blue they were using to now give names on the bottom of the screen, instead of red and purple. Plus, didn't it seem they were just trying a little too hard to convince us they merged?

-bert

janisella 698 desperate attention whore postings

11-13-02, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail janisella Click to send private message to janisella Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "My 10 year old knew"
He noticed right off that they didn't get new buffs (he's a born spoiler). If it weren't for him, I would have been fooled. I would have just figured they edited out the buff issuing because it's boring.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •