The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Advice, If You Will"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

07-06-04, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Advice, If You Will"
Hi! I could really use some advice on whether to check in on a resume and application I've sent for a job opening.

Here's my situation and thanks for weighing in!!

Because I'm so burned-out on teaching, I decided to apply for a new opening at the local (very big) University/State School as an Academic Counselor instead of working as an EnglProf.

They began reviewing applications for the position June 18th. I got my application and resume in on the 21st of June (the very next business day), and they stopped receiving applications at 3:00pm June 28th.

So it's been 1 week exactly since they stopped taking applications and I haven't heard anything yet. I do know that they intend on filling the post by the 26th of July, which is 20 days away.

Is it too soon to call and inquire, and if not, what should I say so I don't sound annoying?

Just some more info:

IMO, I'm really well qualified for the position (They wanted "some" college teaching experience and I taught for 4 years, etc) so I would have originally said I'd be surprised if they didn't call for an interview, at least, but I also had to answer some really intense "What would you do in this case" scenario questions and they required "excellent" answers. I thought my answers were really good--demonstrating my experience and my interest, but you never know what they're really looking for.

So, should I call and ask or wait it out? I'm starting to feel like if I don't call, I'll miss my chance, but I just don't know.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Advice, If You Will dabo 07-06-04 1
 RE: Advice, If You Will J I M B O 07-06-04 2
 RE: Advice, If You Will Devious Weasel 07-06-04 3
   RE: Advice, If You Will EnglProf 07-06-04 6
       RE: Advice, If You Will Devious Weasel 07-06-04 8
           RE: Advice, If You Will Devious Weasel 07-06-04 9
               RE: Advice, If You Will EnglProf 07-06-04 12
                   RE: Advice, If You Will Devious Weasel 07-06-04 13
 RE: Advice, If You Will zombiebaby 07-06-04 4
 RE: Advice, If You Will Brownroach 07-06-04 5
 RE: Advice, If You Will mrc 07-06-04 7
 RE: Advice, If You Will cqvenus 07-06-04 10
 RE: Advice, If You Will PagongRatEater 07-06-04 11
 RE: Advice, If You Will deerhunter 07-06-04 14
   Ring! Ring! It's for you! zombiebaby 07-06-04 15
       RE: Ring! Ring! It's for you! deerhunter 07-06-04 16
           ahhh.... zombiebaby 07-06-04 17
               RE: ahhh.... deerhunter 07-06-04 18
 RE: Advice, If You Will geg6 07-06-04 19
 RE: Advice, If You Will Lisapooh 07-06-04 20
 RE: Advice, If You Will unitabackup 07-06-04 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-06-04, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
Might as well make a call and see what's up. Nothing wrong with showing some initiative. It is summer, school staff could be having trouble getting all their ducks in a row what with people out on vacation and so on, that's probably all that's going on.

SMILES ARE FREE

J I M B O 6839 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to send private message to J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
I can't imagine you stand to lose anything by placing a call. Who knows, maybe someone misplaced your application and you'll be able to prevent a terrible mistake on their part. Just be honest and polite...then hurry back and let us know what you find out.

Handcrafted by RolldDice

Good luck!

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
Did you drop off the resume and application and the unknown university's main job site down near the jail? Do you know for a fact that it was received? Cause that would give you a hook for contacting - "just wanted to make sure it was received" - if you needed one.

07-06-04, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
Delivered to the right person, in person. She even looked it over to make sure it was all there then gave me a receipt of confirmation-- etc. So no real dice on the "just checking to make sure" ploy...

Handcrafted by RollDdice

DW:I dropped it off in the dorm where the Undergrad Advising Center is at this "unknown university" . Which is where I was supposed to take it...

07-06-04, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
Ahhh. Eastside, right?

9. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
Of the river?

07-06-04, 01:05 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Advice, If You Will"

Handcrafted by RollDdice
Actually it's in the Quadrangle. Wrong side of the river, in my opinion. But who am I?

07-06-04, 01:08 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Advice, If You Will"

For some reason, I was thinking Burge. Which is the right side of the river.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Advice, If You Will"

Not knowing how colleges and universities seek people I will throw my 2 cents in.

I say call and inquire if they did receive it. You don't have anything to lose and if you don't hear from them you will always wonder if it got to them on time or if they looked at it. Plus it always shows that you are really interested in the job. Sometimes that is the way they weed out people.

Best of luck to you!

One more of J Slice's Awesome Creations!

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
See Dweezil's question. You can absolutely call to check if it was received, and/or ask for a time frame in which you might expect to hear back from them.

The Order of Banana Delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
As you know, Humperdink, one month is a quick turn-around for anything academic-related. Academics never move quickly, esp. in the summer.

But, I agree with everyone else--it never hurts to call, but only once, 'k? If you start calling every day, they are bound to get annoyed. That's when taking the initiative transforms into downright obsession.

Courtesy of Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
Good luck--I can't imagine how you could get tired of teaching English, what with the grate spellrs and punchtuaters ya know and like stuff in collage 2day.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Advice, If You Will"

wait another week. then call and say something like you were wondering if they've reached a decision yet. if not, when is it expected? will they notify all, or only the chosen one? these are legitimate questions, and they will be fine with them. but, like i said, i'd give it another week first.

~ cq

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
I agree with all of the above. You should definitely call and use your interest as a positive in your favor. The only caveat I would offer is WAIT until tomorrow. They will have other stuff on their plate after the 3 day weekend.

Good luck!

deerhunter 3325 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-06-04, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail deerhunter Click to send private message to deerhunter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
I say call them.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Tell them to hire you, or else they will be getting a visit from some of us OT'ers! (Monsty and me)

07-06-04, 01:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Ring! Ring! It's for you!"
*hangs up*

*giggles without control*

07-06-04, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail deerhunter Click to send private message to deerhunter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Ring! Ring! It's for you!"
*loads gun*

*commences Zombie hunt*

07-06-04, 01:49 PM (EST)
17. "ahhh...."

*rings Hunter's door bell*
*leaves flaming bag of pooh*
*runs and hides*

You? Can't get me today because I am using my zombie force field!

07-06-04, 02:02 PM (EST)
18. "RE: ahhh...."
I can still see you Zombie!

I'm wearing my special glasses.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
As an employee of an extremely large major university, I would be more than shocked if that month-long turnaround time was for real. We never do anything that quickly. When I was hired, it took at least a month plus a few days to even get a call for an interview. Once I interviewed, it took three months to get the call that I was hired. This was not unusual. I have served on many search committees here since and the quickest hire I've ever seen took at least two months. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call to find out the status, though.

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-04, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
I don't see anything wrong with expressing your interest with a phone call - especially if you are going crazy waiting. I might wait a day or two though. This is a short week - last week probably was hectic and possibly short-staffed with the approaching holiday.

Hiring - or setting up interviews - can be a low priority when everything else is chaotic.

good luck!

unitabackup 175 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-06-04, 05:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail unitabackup Click to send private message to unitabackup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Advice, If You Will"
LAST EDITED ON 07-06-04 AT 05:27 PM (EST)

Check back NOW! And, do it often - I missed out on a BIG career opprotunity by not checking back (they were practically giving it to me). Plus, more often than not, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •