The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

06-01-02, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
I think I'm the only one here who is not excited at all by the All Star Survivor. I have already seen these people and they are all old news. I want to see some new people. I feel like this is a waste of a Survivor. What makes Survivor cool is that it takes ordinary people and we get to watch them interact, form alliances, piss each other off, maybe even wag a finger in a face. Well we know what these people are like and we've already seen it! Nothing will be a suprise.

The main reason this is going to suck is because the contestants are all going to be super sweet. What everyone is forgetting is that the first time they went on Survivor, no one knew who they were, so they didn't really care how they acted or what they said. Also, most of the contestants really didn't know a lot about the show Survivor, and how many people would watch it.

Now that they are "famous" they certainly aren't going to do or say anything to damage their reputations. And the bitches like Jerri, Lindsey, Kelly G, etc are really going to be super nice. Ever since seeing themselves on television, they've been trying to convince everyone how nice they are in real life, and that they were just victims of bad editing.

I guarantee every person is going to be sicky sweet. I also doubt that any alliances will be formed. People will just "vote by their heart." This show is going to suck, I promise you. And you heard it here first.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I will watch it (since I'm such a Survivor fan) and I do hope it will be good. I just can't see how it will be. Can you guys please try to convince me how it can turn out enjoyable to watch??!! I know you guys are going to throw some hilarious reasons at me but I really would like to hear some serious reasons why it will be worth watching.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... dabo 06-01-02 1
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... PagongRatEater 06-01-02 2
   RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... Dakota 06-02-02 3
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... katem 06-02-02 4
   RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... iamurhomeboi 06-02-02 5
       RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... katem 06-02-02 6
           RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... Kokoro 06-02-02 9
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... Glass 06-02-02 7
   RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... Dakota 06-02-02 8
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... LionChow 06-03-02 10
   RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... ShowMeTheWinner 06-03-02 11
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... starshyn99 06-03-02 12
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... AMAI 06-03-02 13
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... Q 06-05-02 14
 No All Star Survivor? JeffGator 06-06-02 15
   RE: No All Star Survivor? Kokoro 06-06-02 16
 RE: You Heard It Here First---All S... sensi92 06-21-02 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-01-02, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
Basically, I tend to agree, though I do think there is potential in having a Survivor cast of previous players. The key, I think, would be to select 16 who actually played the game, or tried to, but ultimately lost; let's see if any of them come back with a better understanding of how to play the game. Would Gretchen decide that alliances are a good thing? Would Brandon be more reliable? Would Kimmi keep her mouth shut? Would Debb (unlikely to turn up no matter what) be less abrassive? Would Nick actually pitch in and do some fishing? Would John not promise everyone everything under the sun? Some of these things might be interesting to find out.

Ultimately, though, they are all known quantities now, not only to us but to each other, so it could very easily turn into an exercise in futility.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-02, 11:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
One is like silver, the other like gold...{/i]

I cannot WAIT to see the alumni Survivor. One of the biggest drags about Survivor is the it is just not as interesting until you get to know the people. We always spend the first few episodes picking our favorites, the villians, the bitches and who these people really are. When Deb, Peter or Sonia got voted off NOBODY cared because we didn't know these people from Adam. With an alumni Survivor we are immediately immersed into the game., but this time we get to see what our little friends learned from their first experience.

I think that dabo raises some legitimate concerns. Will the people who go out there be more interested in promoting their image or winning the game? This problem can be addressed in a couple of different ways. The first, of course, is casting. For the most part these people are almost as competitive as they are desparate for attention, BUT the players who are less likely to legitimately compete should be toward the bottom of the invite list. This would be a somewhat subjective process and may or may not eliminate the issue. Which brings me to my second suggestion.....

MORE MONEY - not just a little more, a lot more. This show could easily afford a 10M prize to bring back their stars from the past. Even Jerri didn't make that kind of money in Playboy. Take a big enough prize and these people will play the game seriously. No "appearance fees", no guaranteed paychecks - just the normal pay-outs with the final four getting some kind of inflated prize to encourage alliances and betrayals.

There are definitely some negatives, but for me the positives FAR outwiegh them. The game has progressively changed and so have these people. I want to see what happens when Brandon meets Rudy. I want to see Gretchen plotting with Mike Skupin. I want to see if Colby can beat Clarence in a physical competiion. I have grown to know and love (and in some cases loathe) these people and I would watch this if it were Pay Per View.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-02, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
I agree with you PagongEater (had to leave the rat out, 'cause of my feelings about all creatures, great and small. Besides, I think some of the Pagong-types should be eaten before the rats and they probably taste better. They'd also be easier to catch 'cause rats are notoriously smart.)
Anyway, it does take us a while to form our opinions about players, which inevitably change as the show progresses. But having seen the players on the show and in "real" life (if you consider their guest appearances "real" life), we've got a better idea of what they're made of and we won't be as easily swayed by editing. I think the All Star Survivor will give Bashers loads of controversy and material, because we'll already have some insight into the players.

Just a note to let you know that PagongRatEater and I are not an alliance. We agree on some things and disagree on other things. If he is caucasian, as am I, I don't want anyone to think we're an alliance on that basis. We do have our differences. And I am instructing him that in the event one of us wins something, anything, that he not hug me and shout "We did it!", lest people think we were an alliance.

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-02-02, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail katem Click to send private message to katem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
I have to agree with you all, I think that at this point all these people are friends now, and to play this game again, would be for the wrong reasons. In other words, it would not be about the game anymore.

It would be a hoot to see them all together though. Maybe instead of Survivor, EMB could put them through an ECO-Challenge type thing. Groups of 4 previous Survivors, to see if they can go the distance. THAT would be a scream.

iamurhomeboi 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

06-02-02, 03:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iamurhomeboi Click to send private message to iamurhomeboi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
Although I agree with you all....I think the Survivor All Star will be a hit. I mean hopefully MB will pick the people who deserve more air time (hopefully Jessie!) and if he does this will give the viewers an in depth look at these people and they will also get to know them more! Just adding my two cents...

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-02-02, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail katem Click to send private message to katem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-02 AT 04:42 PM (EST)

>

WOW !!!! Jessie looks unrecognizable in this photo. She looks great !!!

As for what you say about the show, I completely agree that it would be a hit, but you have to keep in mind that doing it has a huge risk.

The show will be played very tongue in cheek and will not be the pure game of Survivor, the cast (no matter who they choose) will have other fish to fry, mainly maintaining their image with the public, they wont want to lose that.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-02-02, 07:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
<<The show will be played very tongue in cheek and will not be the pure game of Survivor, the cast (no matter who they choose) will have other fish to fry, mainly maintaining their image with the public, they wont want to lose that.>>

For some it will, but I really don't see a lot of them worrying about this. Survivors haven't really been raking in much of anything for a couple years now - most money they have made since the beginning (with a few exceptions) comes from public appearance fees - and for these, it really doesn't matter if everyone despises you or not....if you've made it far enough (and for some, even if you're off first), you're still going to be getting a lot of calls for this purpose.

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

Glass 381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

06-02-02, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glass Click to send private message to Glass Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
I agree with the guys who are totally excited about Alumni Survivor!

Basically, I think thoughts that the game would be played tongue-in-cheek is a valid concern, but not applicable here. Remember that Mark Burnett will have no problem at all casting every notorious and comptetitive player out there. He would probably have to leave some out.
In a cast of 16 ultra-competitive people like Silas, Rich, Soo, Jeff, Lex, Rob Mariano et al. there will be little concern with anything except the game. I would love to see an inflated prize for the Final Four, too.
In the end, I think this is just the most exciting thing to come out of CBS for a long time. I'm sure most of you will agree with me when I say I watch the show for the competition and to see who will be able to outsmart the rest and really play a game about behavior, politics and management. And with the ultra-competitive players who will probably be clawing at the chance to do it all again and whore in another couple weeks of fame... maybe even a million bucks... I don't think a lot can go wrong at all.

Glass.

If that boy even dreams he whoops me, he'd better wake up and apologize.
-Muhammed Ali

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-02, 06:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
That's right, I forgot that while we now know them better, they also know each other. Lex's throat slitting comments are public record now. It won't be just like Survivor, but it will be entertaining.

LionChow 2033 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

06-03-02, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LionChow Click to send private message to LionChow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
I'm a good bit more optimistic about the All-Star event, with a few caveats.

#1) and by far the most important is to hang a nice big paycheck out there for them. The motivation to go through the pain and suffering again must be strong.

#2) And please, please, please don't make any of the winnings 'for their favorite charity'. Now I know that sounds like a horrible thing to say, but every show I see that has "celebrities" playing for charity SUCKS. Many good game shows (Who Wants To Be A Millionaire comes to mind) were killed off by celeb versions, simply because the players had nothing personal on the line. Win or lose, it didn't affect the celebs, cause they already pocketed their appearance fees. They could show up, joke around and mug for the camera, knowing that they were guaranteed at least $32,000 for the charity, and everybody was happy... WRONG!!! The charm of that show was watching every day schlubs sweat it out and battle with the equation of risk versus reward. JeffGator's argument about the Survivor alumni already considering themselves celebs carries a lot of weight. What fun is a Jerri, if she's not willing to backstab a Kel when given the chance? None.

#3) follows in the footsteps of #2 and that is Burnett MUST pick the real players. Don't bring back Gabe because he was an interesting character, give us the folks that would be willing to bring out the claws and fangs and go at it. As much as I dislike Tina and T-Bird, I think they would be strong repeat players. As much as I liked Colby, I don't think he would try hard enough in a repeat performance. Lex, Mike, Hunter, Alicia and Kathy V. would all make good All-Stars. If you keep the dead wood out of the cast, it could be great.

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

06-03-02, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-02 AT 03:24 PM (EST)

I agree with LionChow on all of the above. More money = more backstabbing = more drama (HOORAYYYY....)

One question that I have, however, is whether MB is gonna do the "traditional mixture" of casts (aka 1 tribal sweetheart, 1 beeyotch, etc) and whether that will be a good or a bad thing. What do u guys think?

I read somewhere that he's going to cast the people according to whoever the fans want. I hope that this doesn't lead to the disastrous result of having all the popular people appearing on the show and no villains. WE WANT GOOD VILLAINS!!!

SPECIAL NOTICE TO EVERYONE: If you haven't signed up for the Petition to Mark Burnett yet, please sign up now before our favorite show goes down the ratings toilet. Remember that this site's future rests in our hands now!

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

starshyn99 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-03-02, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail starshyn99 Click to send private message to starshyn99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
I have to agree with you too about this Jeff.

Part of the beauty (and enjoyment) of Survivor is that the contestants know nothing about each other and have to decide to trust them or not and suffer the consequences.

Through various reunion shows, they have all gotten to know and form friendships and opinions of each other. We know who likes who and who is playing on what side. The biggest surprise in Survivor 2 was that no one knew that Tina and Colby were alligned, now we do. There will be no guessing of who sticks with who.

Too predictable.

AMAI 1254 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-02, 07:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AMAI Click to send private message to AMAI Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
Jeff, I think you're right - the Survivor Alumni Edition is gonna suck, blow, & generally be a piece of crap.

That said, I'm hoping for some REALLY funny recaps. The more it stinks, the funnier those recaps should be. In fact, whoever is in charge, sign me up to do recaps! I can't wait!

As so many here have said, it's not like I won't watch. Of COURSE I'm gonna watch.

Because with some good planning, MB might at least be able to encourage fireworks by (a) bringing back some of the fierier people, like Alicia & Jerri and (b) putting them together on the same team! The more people who didn't spend a good deal of time together who start out on the same tribe, the better the chances are of real drama & such.

Since there are currently 8 past tribes, it is theoretically possible to select two people from each tribe, and put them on opposite tribes to begin the game. In that way, Alicia & Jerri might be together on the same tribe to begin with, but all the other players would be from different series.

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

06-05-02, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Q Click to send private message to Q Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
I think the show will be cool, if, like others have said, they adhear to certain criteria.

1) Totally agree with you guys about upping the prize for the repeat survivors. Mabey not 10 M, but what about 2 million, 1 million, 500,000, and 100,000 for the final 4. This would make anyone really really want to be in the final 4 and they might form alliances to do so. Then we would really see some tricky backstabbing going on in the end. Who would literally kill who to win the 2 million.

2) I don't want any previous winners there. This is how I feel. Although (dont freak to much) Tina is my alltime favorite (followed by T-bird and Kathy) I would still not want winners there. It would place big targets on their backs. That might make for interesting interactions, I don't think it will.

3)I would also like to see super aggressive players mixed with players who had problems keeping quiet. This would allow totally new players to fly UTR in comparison to others.

4)Dont let the internet public vote on who goes. This would lead to the worst group of 16 imaginable. So many different groups would get their pick in it would be crazy. We would end up with Colleen, Elizabeth, Amber, etc. mixed with the Sue, Jerri group. This would end up just like MTV Celebrity Deathmatch in real life.

Wait I am seeing the virtues of this now. Scrap my entire item 4, this could be interesting way to get a crazy group together, or it could tank.

I think this is the trickiest part of the whole reunion thing. How to choose the players so they actually want to play the game and play it in an interesting and new way. Dont fall into old patterns they used before, and not just vote for your friends. Mix things up.

So In conclusion, I hope the show is good, but there are so many ways it can go bad, I worry.

Later,

D.R.

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings

06-06-02, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "No All Star Survivor?"
Applications are now out online to the public for Survivor 6.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor6/
Does this mean that there will be no "All Star Survivor," atleast for now? I thought S6 would have our favorites from the first 5 series, but apparently not.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-06-02, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: No All Star Survivor?"
If it isn't the All Star edition, then we probably shouldn't expect an All Star edition until Survivor 10 (if MB intends to keep the teams fair - ie. equal share per season, which would be 2 from each of the first 8 in this case)

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

sensi92 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

06-21-02, 04:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sensi92 Click to send private message to sensi92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: You Heard It Here First---All Star Survivor Will Blow!"
I partially agree that it could suck. It all depends who MB chooses for the show. He needs to get all the difficult and stubborn people back on the show to make it work, and people that didn't previously get along.

Entertaining all-star cast (drama inevitable)
Sean, Rob, Brandon, Rudy, Sue, Kelly, Kimmi, Mad Dog

Boring all-star tribe(drama unlikely)
Ethan, Roger, Silas, Colby, Tina, Neleh, Vecepia, Elizabeth

They're lying to me! They're all lying to me!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •