The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-07-04, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
So....BF and I went to Chicago this past weekend for his niece's high school graduation celebration. She's a great kid and this was a big deal since she got a full academic ride to Loyola and, as a student aid officer, I can truly appreciate that. So we went to give her props as she deserved.

At the last minute, BF's parents (who are quite elderly, infirm, and crotchety--especially with me, the harlot who has lived with their precious son without the benefit of a good Catholic marriage for the last 18 years) decide they want to go. No problem ticketwise, since BF's brother works for United. We get hotel reservations, get on the plane Friday, and arrive no problem. Mom and Dad are too tired to be a problem. Saturday arrives, we go to help put the party together and head to the party. Everything seems good. Mom hangs on me a bit too much for my pleasure, but so what? Dad insists on taking several walks through the park despite his recent mini-stroke, complications due to diabetes, and ramifications of 3 brain surgeries over the last 15 or so years. BF and I think this is good--they'll be good and tired early and we can put them to bed and get back to really begin partying. Lo and behold, by 6pm they are ready to get back to hotel. We take them back and notice there are some difficulties with electricity (some outlets not working, but nothing serious). We put them in bed, make sure they have snacks and OJ, turn on TV and head back to party. We have a great time with niece and two nephews for several more hours and head back to hotel ourselves as we must be at the airport by 9:30am Sunday. We go into our room without checking on Mom and Dad since they were surely asleep and, if they had a problem, we both had our cells on and hadn't received any calls.

When we got to our room, we noticed that the electricity was still problematic--no TV or bathroom lights. Okay, no problem we had main room lights, emergency lights, outside lights. BF talked to front desk, they said problem would be solved within an hour or so. I went outside to have a quick smoke and while there, a police officer saw me come out of our room and chased me outside. He asked if I was related to BF's parents. Puzzled and not about the explain the not-married situation, I said that they were my in-laws. He said that they were relieved to finally find us and that Mom and Dad were at a local hospital, something about a drug interaction or something. Well, needless to say I went into on-the-road crisis mode and quickly grabbed BF from room. We asked the cop why no one contacted us by cell phone and how to get to hospital. He said that Mom forgot our cell numbers (although programmed into her cell and her a former emergency room nurse!) and that they had gotten the local son and daughter-in-law to come to the hotel to take us. Well, only DIL shows up with niece and we all head to hospital. The story finally turns out to be that Dad, pissed and stomping around due to lack of TV (due to electrical problems) and Mom's nagging him to death about his meds, grabs his meds case and downs his next two doses of one of his meds without even looking or thinking about it. Mom is in too much of a tizzy (did I mention she was an ER head nurse?) to even check which med (diabetes med--not so much a problem; brain meds--big problem). After several hours of monitoring and BF and I counting out his many meds, we determine it was diabetes meds and that he can be monitored by us and probably controlled through diet. We troop back to hotel (it's now about 12:30am), request a room move for Mom and Dad that has more lighting, move Mom and Dad, and fall into bed.

The next thing I know BF is waking me up from a dead sleep. It is pitch dark. He says that all electricity in hotel is out, even emergency lighting. That means no fire alarms or sprinkler systems. He has gone to front desk to get the story and is royally POd that hotel has not been evacuated (door keys were not working, no lights in hallways, no telephone service). He has insisted that they transfer our reservations to another hotel in chain nearer to O'Hare and we are going to pack up and drive to that hotel. Problem is, we have no idea how to get there, the directions they gave us sucked, and we had to get Mom and Dad up and packed, and it is now 2am. By 2:30 we are on the road and promptly get lost. We are driving around blindly until 3:30am when brother gets up for work. We call him for directions and go on our way. Turns out, he was thinking of the wrong hotel. We finally found the right one at 5am. Mom and Dad got into bed ASAP while we took care of getting their stuff ready for the morning...oops, it already was. We got into bed for another hour or so, then got up so that Mom and Dad could have breakfast. None for me and BF as we had to pack things up and make arrangements for wheelchairs at airport, etc. I won't even go into the airport trauma and getting Mom and Dad another meal we didn't partake in and getting them home and settled in, but suffice it to say that we left Chicago at 11:10am, arrived in Pittsburgh at 1:40pm, and by the time we got to our house (about 30 min. from the airport), it was 5:30pm. It was truly a relief to get back to work today.

I have made two resolutions due to this misadventure. First, I will be contacting the corporate headquarters of the hotel to let them know exactly what I think of their management, who thought that the electrical situation was something that could be overlooked in a hotel full of elderly people and people with babies and small children (it's near a major amusement park). A fire at that point could have been a disaster. Second, I have told BF that there will be no more travel with his parents. They (and he) need to be realistic about their physical, mental, and emotional limitations and my ability and willingness to be patient and cope with those limitations. Before my parents died, they would have been mortified to have subjected us to that kind of hassle and they were never as helpless or frail (well, my mom was physically frail but certainly not mentally or emotionally). Am I wrong on either count? I don't know and don't care at this point. All I know is that we go on OUR vacation in two weeks and I erased my cell number from Mom's cell. She can call BF's sister (who incidentally lives across the street from Mom and Dad) and let her deal with the emergencies for once.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... seahorse 06-07-04 1
   RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... geg6 06-07-04 4
 RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... Schnookie Palookie 06-07-04 2
   RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... Breezy 06-07-04 3
   RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... geg6 06-07-04 5
 OMH! anotherkim 06-07-04 6
   RE: OMH! geg6 06-07-04 7
 RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... Glow 06-07-04 8
   RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... geg6 06-07-04 9
 RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... frisky 06-07-04 10
   RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... Shereebie 06-07-04 11
 RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... wildchickenhunter 06-07-04 12
   RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... geg6 06-07-04 13
       RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventu... wildchickenhunter 06-07-04 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-04, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
What an excruciating weekend you had to go through, sort of like a vacation from hell.

ŠSlice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

06-07-04, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
Well, I did have 1 1/2 days of a nice time. Just that the bad times felt like a week.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-04, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
First of all, congrats to your niece on her graduation and scholarship.

Secondly, I would definitely write a letter to the hotel headquarters. They need to hear about it.

You deserve a medal. What a terrible experience. I do feel bad for everyone involved. I have absolutely no patience so I can't say that I would want to go through something like that.

I am chuckling though that you erased your cell # from her phone

An IceCat Classic

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-04, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
Agree with Nookie.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

06-07-04, 12:33 PM (EST)
5. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
Thanks, Nookie! I just adore this niece (she might as well be blood). I'm so proud of her I could burst! Hanging out with her makes up for all the rest of it.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-04, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "OMH!"
Hon, bless your heart. What a weekend!!!! You are totally reasonable. That is just the stuff that nightmares are made of...both counts.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--what hotel? I like to be indignant for others when at all possible.

06-07-04, 02:23 PM (EST)
7. "RE: OMH!"
I knew all you wonderful OTers would be full of sympathy for my plight. Plus, this was really the only place I could go to complain. Bless all your hearts!

By the way, it was a Courtyard by Marriott.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-04, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
First - Congratulations to BF's niece. Good for her.
Second - Definitely write a letter. Hotel management handled that horribly.
Third - Absolutely let his sister deal with them for a bit. She lives across the street for Pete's sake.

*hugs*

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

06-07-04, 02:48 PM (EST)
9. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
*hugs right back at ya*

And ya know (as she gets off on another rant), BF's sister spends less time with Mom and Dad than we do! And we live 45 minutes away, not right across the street! As a matter of fact, after all the weekend craziness, BF is spending his first two days off for summer (he's a teacher), today and tomorrow, cutting the grass on Mom and Dad's six acres. What a wonderful son (and BF, by the way).

End of rant. I think I want to join kim for some of that Mike's.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-04, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
I'd *headbutt* you, but you'd probably fall down and go to sleep!

Poor Geg!! That sounds like the vacation from hell. The hotel was probably hoping all the guests were asleep and unaware of the electrical problem. I think you're right to tell BF that the parents cannot go away with you anymore.

Card-carrying RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division
Non-Embezzling GAWKUR Treasurer

Shereebie 391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

06-07-04, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shereebie Click to send private message to Shereebie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
Good Lord! You poor thing! Well, at least there was some good news in there - congrats to BF's neice, good for her!

Now get some rest, geg. *hugs*

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-07-04, 03:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail wildchickenhunter Click to send private message to wildchickenhunter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
Look at it this way, you have a great story to tell!

You're a real trooper!

Breezy's cabana boy since May 2004!

06-07-04, 03:29 PM (EST)
13. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"
You're right. I'm sure that, after a few days and many shots of tequila, I will find the humor in the situation. But I'm still keeping my cell # off Mom's call list and I'm still not traveling with them such distances.

--maybe Marriott will give me a free room at the Pittsburgh Marriott at Station Square to keep my mouth shut and BF and I can drink all the tequila we want and sleep in luxury.

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-07-04, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail wildchickenhunter Click to send private message to wildchickenhunter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: geg6's Not So Excellent Adventure"

You got that kinda service from a Marriot?

Some of my best stories come out of situations like this.....They take on a life of there own.

Oh, and the tequila thing is right....tequila usually will fix anything.

Breezy's cabana boy since May 2004!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •