The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do you listen to Simon?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-04-04, 00:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do you listen to Simon?"
I think as much as everyone likes to bash Simon he really does have a lot of influence on people and their votes.

at least twice this season I think he has convinced people to vote the way they did by what he says.

I think both john stevens (red) and Camile Velasco (miss potential) both made it through based on what he said about them.

i don't think either one was particularly the best or even in the top two of their evenings.

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do you listen to Simon? frisky 03-04-04 1
 Yeah, I listen... Goooey_Alley 03-04-04 2
   RE: Yeah, I listen... ManilaESQ 03-04-04 3
   RE: Yeah, I listen... EnglProf 03-04-04 4
       RE: Yeah, I listen... lyrker 03-04-04 15
       RE: Yeah, I listen... drooler 03-08-04 18
 Simon listens to me TeamJoisey 03-04-04 5
   RE: Simon listens to me Breezy 03-04-04 8
   RE: Simon listens to me EnglProf 03-04-04 11
   RE: Simon listens to me anotherkim 03-04-04 13
   RE: Simon listens to me goDAWful 03-10-04 20
       RE: Simon listens to me greenmonstah 03-10-04 23
 RE: Do you listen to Simon? dangerkitty 03-04-04 6
   RE: Do you listen to Simon? nailbone 03-04-04 9
 I find myself moonbaby 03-04-04 7
   RE: I find myself ginger 03-04-04 10
 RE: Do you listen to Simon? Jethro 03-04-04 12
   RE: Do you listen to Simon? MTW1961 03-04-04 14
 Sometimes I agree with him Tiger Lily 03-05-04 16
   RE: Sometimes I agree with him managerr 03-08-04 17
 RE: Do you listen to Simon? Femme 03-09-04 19
   RE: Do you listen to Simon? tig_ger 03-10-04 21
   RE: Do you listen to Simon? goDAWful 03-10-04 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-04-04, 00:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Do you listen to Simon?"
I think the same thing happened with Jasmine.

I've also seen the public go the other way, though. If Simon picks on someone *really* bad, they tend to get a sympathy vote. I think this is more prevalent in the finals.

I find I agree with Simon when he's putting people down. He was dead-on about ugly-singing-girl.

Card-carrying RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division
Non-Embezzling GAWKUR Treasurer

Goooey_Alley 425 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-04-04, 02:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Goooey_Alley Click to send private message to Goooey_Alley Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Yeah, I listen..."
'cause he made more sense than the other two. Though he is harsh, he really said it all.

He knew that John Stevens had a large fanbase. I would love to see John Stevens make a fool of himself with his Frank Sinatra immitation voice and droopy (yuck) eyes, in the next round.

Seems too transparent that I hate John Stevens! Hope there will be a John-Stevens-Bashers Forum here! Peace!

ManilaESQ 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-04-04, 02:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ManilaESQ Click to send private message to ManilaESQ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Yeah, I listen..."
It's either you're correct that Simon can influence the viewers or it's simply a matter of Simon having a taste similar to most viewers.

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-04-04, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Yeah, I listen..."
If you make a John Stevens bashing thread on here I will be your worst enemy.

John hasn't made a fool of himself yet, and I don't see it happening anytime soon. He's got a fabulous voice. The fact that others have come before him (like Frank Sinatra) doesn't make his voice any less pure and mellifluous!

lyrker 203 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-04-04, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lyrker Click to send private message to lyrker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Yeah, I listen..."
The fact that others have come before him (like Frank Sinatra) doesn't make his voice any less pure and mellifluous!

I thought from the moment I heard his (John) voice that he sounded a lot like Bing Crosby, who I always loved. I think John will be truly great in 15 years. He was a favorite of mine entering the final 36.

That said, I didn't vote for him. I just didn't think he showed a real good range when he sang his song last night. Neither of the folks I voted for got through (though Suzy's getting the come-back chance so Yay!).

I listen to Simon. Sometimes I agree with what he's saying. A lot of the time I agree with what he isn't saying. But I rarely let any of the judges' opinions influence my decision. I let the contestants do all that work themselves.

"Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be."
- Jeremy Schwartz

drooler 67 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-08-04, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail drooler Click to send private message to drooler Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Yeah, I listen..."
I like John very much. I loved Clay Aiken when Simon was busy saying he was too "Broadway Musical" (I was think Frank Sinatra at the time--Guys and Dolls) as well. But I think by pushing Clay into the pop idol mold they spoiled what made him great.

Does anyone think that maybe the success of folks like John and Clay points to a genuine need for the next Frank or Bing??

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-04-04, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Simon listens to me"
I don't think I'm influenced by Simon.

I usually offer comments at home before he does, often before the singer finishes. I'm relieved there is someone on that panel who sees the same thing I do.

There is potential in some of these people, despite bad performances. And there is no potential in someone who has peaked in a so-so performance.

Simon is brutal in his assessments, but I rarely disagree.
Paula is the one who makes me insane.
But that's the format: a "good cop - bad cop - police dawg" panel.

John Stevens can't win, but I'd buy his album.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-04, 01:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Simon listens to me"
*nodding*

Me too. Sorry John.

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-04-04, 02:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Simon listens to me"
But that's the format: a "good cop - bad cop - police dawg" panel

Hilarious! ROTFL!

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-04, 07:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Simon listens to me"

Yup....I think he has, almost without fail, nailed everyone of the sucky performances. Ugly-face girl WAS ugly. Tiara was all over th place. Model girl's mouth was EFREAKINGNORMOUS and she was horrible.

He can be cruel in a sense, yes, but he honest, which is more than you can say for Paula Flip Flop. She's only negative or "constructive" when Randy leads in. It's like she has no mind of her own.

--I did not care for Camille, though, I thought he totally overrated her.

goDAWful 34 desperate attention whore postings

03-10-04, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail goDAWful Click to send private message to goDAWful Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Simon listens to me"
Hey Joisey! You're usually up on things around here. Question for you.

Are we to assume that the lack of a Bashers topic for Idol means that we can bash away merrily in any and all available threads? I have a great deal of venom to spew on a wide variety of Idol topics, but I'm a considerate venomous person and would want to be at least tidy with the vast volume of invective which is about to issue forth from my virtual writing instrument.

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

03-10-04, 07:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Simon listens to me"
Well since you and I had our first officil banter on another post, I figured I would let you in on the golden rule here on the boards: There seems to be an open season on contestent bashing. Bash away with all of the vigor and venom you can muster. However, bashing fellow posters - that is a big no-no and you will get banished from the boards. (Can I have your screen name if this happens?) Anyway, Joisey is one of our top DAWers so I would still stand by for input. Also, go ahead and check out the community guidelines. That may help too.

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-04-04, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Do you listen to Simon?"
Simon can be so harsh, yet I find that almost all of the time, I agree with him. Example is Tiara, I thought she was awful and was shocked at how Randy and Paula praised her. Then Simon gave her the "it was a total mess" and I thought, "YES! Thank you!"

Really interesting question about whether the viewers listen to him. Based on redhead John getting through, I'd have to say that they do. And he got the MOST votes of the group!

Is it particular to the "potential" comments? It's one thing to have him say he hated someone, or to actually praise them. If Simon sees potential in someone that didn't do so well and says he wants them go through to see it develop, that may be very intriguing to viewers.

And never mind the viewers listening to Simon, what about the other judges? Both Randy and Paula changing their pick from George to John after the top three were announced? Interesting.

dangerkitty

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-04, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Do you listen to Simon?"

>
>And never mind the viewers listening
>to Simon, what about the
>other judges? Both Randy
>and Paula changing their pick
>from George to John after
>the top three were announced?
> Interesting.
>
I noticed that, too. Definitely a WTF moment.

OT Studmuffin of the Year '03, Prince of Passion, Royal Liaison to Illicit Activities, and SB Video Historian o-
Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-04, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "I find myself"
agreeing with Simon but disagreeing with how he says it As far as voting goes? I have not voted.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-04, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: I find myself"
I pretty much always agree with him although I don't vote. I have enough trouble remembering to return my mother's calls, let alone punching in 800 numbers for Rooooooobinequsque pop wannabees.

Randy I sometimes agree with. Paula is a waste of a judge's chair (and let's face it, it took a whole lotta soundboard to make her sound like she could sing).

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Jethro 11 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-04-04, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jethro Click to send private message to Jethro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Do you listen to Simon?"
I often agree with Simon, but sometimes he contradicts himself. He went REALLY easy on John Stevens. I've heard him say things like, "This isn't Cabaret Idol" or "This isn't Rock Idol" so he should have said, "This isn't Crooner Idol." Plus, he has ripped so many contestants for being boring or not having the right look, yet let John slide on both accounts.

But Simon did defend himself once about this, saying that he is only human and is going to have favorites just like anyone else (I think that was when Christina Christian was voted out, apparently after the public was sickened by his never-ending praise).

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-04-04, 08:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Do you listen to Simon?"
CHIMING IN AND AGREEING - This is pretty much what I was going to say. Usually his comments, especially the negative ones, are right on target. BUT, he does contradict himself.

With one contestant, he'll complain that he/she played it safe, and that person is exactly like a hundred others. Then when someone goes out on a limb (Kate Webber comes to mind), and sings something different and unexpected, he complains that they went out too far on a limb.

Also, sometimes he'll like a performance, but say something negative directly to the contestant that's just finished, but the comment really applies to all of them in general. In this sense, he's unfairly associating a negative general comment to one person, and it can impact that person's vote total.

RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division/Gummi Candy Section - Marketing VP

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-05-04, 01:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Sometimes I agree with him"
...and sometimes I don't. I do feel sorry for some of the people he really bashes, but at the same time, he's usually right about them.

And on another note, it occurs to me that Simon seems to be running out of smartass things to say. Some of the analogies he's been making lately are completely off the wall. Has anyone else noticed this, or thought "WTF?" When he starts talking? It cracks me up. He's such a weird man.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-08-04, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Sometimes I agree with him"
Actually, I love the analogies this season. (so far) I mean there is usually so much criticism you can give someone before everything starts to get old. At least he is making an effort to give some new zingers than the same ol' same ol.

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-09-04, 06:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Do you listen to Simon?"
Simon is full of crap.

He thinks he knows what we, the public, want, but look at how he forced Ruben on us when we all seemed to support Clay.

He contradicts himself, he goes easy on people who need to hear the truth that they blow, and then he goes hard on people who should be given credit for a job well done, or having shown some improvement.

Some specific examples: Matt (the football guy) has a nice voice, a standout personality, and seems to take the work that he will need to do for this contest seriously, yet Simon attacks him about 'not caring' or 'not making an effort' which leads to Matt feeling defensive, making a comment that was extremly tacky, and losing the affections of the public.

Camille, who was nervous, weak, chose a song that didn't work for her, so on and so on and so on, is praised by him, while others, like George Huff, are 'zinged' by Simon with such obvious biases that it grates on your nerves. I mean, GEORGE doesn't have the charisma to be American Idol? But Ruben did?! What alternate universe is this?!

He nags nearly every singer on the first night of the finals about choosing safe songs. Diana: I got the music in me; Marque: Wind beneath my wings; Ashley: Crazy - all sang before Katie Webber, who was fourth. Simon had told Marque, Erskine, and Ashley, specifically, that their songs were too safe that night, but then Katie sings "Orange Colored Sky" and Simon says, "hotel bar singer" and then railed on her misfortune to dare choose such a weird, jazzy song. What the heck?

Simon, I think, also tries to manipulate the votes without being blatant. I think that when someone does really well, someone that he has sorta made it clear that he would like to see eliminated, he will say something simple like, "good job." He is short, clipped, and unbudging. He did this with Josh Gracin a few times last year, but then he will critique every tiny little nuance of Ruben's performance or Clay's, in an effort to manipulate, I think. He wants the audience 1.) not to remember anything spectacular about the performance that he gave a short bit of unarguable, unmemorable comment to, and 2.) he wants to make the audience think that person is 'safe' and the other person, who performed far better, is 'risky' that particular week. Just my opinion, but I truly believe he does this.

Anyway, Simon is a pompous jerk who is rarely right, but I must concede on two points. One, when he *is* right, he is dead-on right. And two, he performs a valuable service when he cuts down some of these over-inflated teenage egos we see. (I have a HUGE problem with teaching kids to love themselves SOO much that they cannot even process and accept any critique to their lacking ability, personality, so forth. I think it is detrimental, and I love that Simon gives these sheltered children with over-inflated self-esteems a bitter taste of reality. I only hope they learn from it.

In short, Simon does not sway me (very often). I make up my own mind.

Blah, blah, blah. Get me going and you can't EVER shut me up.

Femme

"Shock me, shock me, shock me with your deviant behavior."

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-10-04, 06:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Do you listen to Simon?"
I love to listen to Simon, because with his comments, he is trying to so hard to manipulate the vote. It sounds like most of us know this.

So, I think he is quite amusing...and enjoy listening to him just so I can try to figure out where he thinks my vote should be going. However, I never change my vote based upon what he says. I just like to listen to him try to be the puppet master. Then, I go and do what I want. Randy and Paula do this too, to a lesser extent.

A Kyngsladye Original

goDAWful 34 desperate attention whore postings

03-10-04, 06:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail goDAWful Click to send private message to goDAWful Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Do you listen to Simon?"
>He thinks he knows what we,
>the public, want, but look
>at how he forced Ruben
>on us when we all
>seemed to support Clay.

What, he went to everyone's houses and dialed the numbers for them? (Don't get me wrong, I'm no Ruben fan, but I dispute that he was "forced" on anyone.)

Other than that, you have plenty of good points, though I disagree with the outcome of your cogitations in many instances. However, we agree strongly on the over-esteeming of children (something I ranted about in some other Cowell-related thread just now).

This is a rampant problem in American society. Teaching children that they can "be whatever they want to be" is a recipe for some seriously damaged members of society once they reach an age where relationships outside the immediate family become necessary. The lesson should be, "You can TRY to be whatever you want to be, but not everyone can be POTUS or Kelly or Kobe or a brain surgeon and that's fine because we do, after all, need people to work in sausage factories."

I have worked in the entertainment industry for many a long year and oh my goodness, the stories I could (and may, actually) tell about some of the stuff that comes across my desk from the parents of children who are obviously destined for the meat processing plant... The utter awfulness of it all is indeed as pervasive in this business as Cowell regularly indicates on the show.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •