The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"TAR4: The Race Gone Bad"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

PandaRock 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-06-03, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PandaRock Click to send private message to PandaRock Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"TAR4: The Race Gone Bad"
Personally, this race has disappointed me as it has continued.

From the beginning, it had great potential to be a really awesome race with some teams with great dynamics: Monica and Sheree, Tian and Jaree, Millie and Chuck, Steve and Dave, Jon and Al. Now that it has gotten to the final three legs, what teams are left with?: Rob and Brennan Version 4.0 (more commonly known as The Goats), Rob and Brennan Version 4.gay (more commonly known as Reichen and Chip), Kelly and Jon, and Jon and Al. I am most disappointed with the teams left on the race. Lets' run down each team left:

David and Jeff: I have to figure out which one is which, and sometimes forgotten that they are even in the race. This is probably because they are the least memorable team on the Amazing Race EVER! I haven't seen them make any brilliant decisions or huge blunders, or show any strategy, dynamics or personality. They haven't really been racing. They're just in the race. They do what's on the clues, and manage to stay in the race. I don't think they even deserve the title Version 4.0, since previous Versios 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 showed that they weren't automatons fashioned to resemble human goats.

Reichen and Chip: They're a somewhat tolerable team, but they aren't extremely entertaining or imaginative. They have good teamwork and race independantly (especially when it comes to airports). As racers, I don't have much to say about them, good or bad. BUt one thing that anooys me about them is that they are the least affectionate married people in the history of mankind. Gary and Dave were more affectionate with each other, and they described each other as their "best enemy". Come un guys, loosen up.

Jon and Kelly: A mildly entertaining team. They've showed some racing strategy and definetly share actualy human emotion with each other. However, due to Kelly's FLoish attitude and Jon's generally peevish nature, I would much rather see other teams in the race opposed to these two. The one good thing is that Kelly always manages to let some idiotic babble run out of her mouth each episode (May it be "A$$holes never finish first", or "My cookie's killin' me", or my personal favorite: "Hi-five, little lady!").

Jon and Al: The most respectable team left on the race. They have managed to both race independently yet show compassion with other teams. They are very entertaining (if they weren't, then why would they be clowns?) and are the only ones left in the race who deserve to be where they are.

However, to get back to the purpose of this post. I think this race could have been greatly improved if it weren't for some unfortunate eliminations. Many other respectable and entertaining teams have been sacrificed in order for bland and uninteresting teams to survive and make me not want to watch. The race was much more enjoyable in the earlier parts, and it has launched itself into a pitiful downward spiral of or boring television. If anyone agrees or diasagrees, then feel free to.

-PandaRock

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad cyclehausen 08-06-03 1
 RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad Cole 08-06-03 2
   RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad karalott 08-06-03 3
       RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad PandaRock 08-06-03 4
 RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad managerr 08-07-03 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-06-03, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cyclehausen Click to send private message to cyclehausen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad"
I agree with the entertainment factor. However, I think that as we lost the best teams, we gained the best actual roadblocks/detours. This more than makes up for it. The teams are nice, but the race itself is the star.

"I am an unlimited person, sadly living in a limited world."-Harlan Ellison

And Tian is a star, too.

Cole 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-06-03, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cole Click to send private message to Cole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad"
You really should be posting this in the "Bashers" forum....

Anyhoo, I disagree with you. I find this race to be just as compelling as the previous ones. There were some great locations visited. The tasks were just as challenging and interesting in the past, and in some cases even better - that ladder in the bat cave, that ice swim and those octopi were not for the faint of heart. And of course, we got the inter-team dynamics. The rivalry between Millie and Kelly was great. I've never hated a team on TAR as much as I hated Millie, and that includes Teri and Ian from last year.

You may say that it has gone into a downward spiral, but I don't think so. You seem to be defining the Race based on who you personally like or don't like, and it's obvious you don't like the teams that are left. Some of them are less interesting than others, but it's not their fault that the more interesting teams couldn't hack it. Nobody "sacrificed" the teams that weren't good enough.

TAR4 has been great and I'm hoping for a TAR5.

karalott 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-06-03, 08:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail karalott Click to send private message to karalott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad"
I can't say I agree with you, but this season hasn't been one of my favorites, so I guess I half agree.

First, the contestants. They seem a little too competitive this year, and some are a little into the camera factor. But overall, unlike other reality shows, I think majority come here for the actual show, not to get on t.v.

There were some teams eliminated that probably could have added an interesting dynamic (Amanda and Chris, Steve/Josh, Russell/Cindy, Monica/Sheree, Tian/Jaree, even though the first 2 teams I listed would have probably gotten on my nerves by now.) Maybe because it's the 4th series the contestants know what to expect, and what not to do to get eliminated. Plus, Steve/Dave and Debra/Steve seemed to make an issue out of being old, out of shape, and having injuries that it's like they really didn't try and just kind of gave up and waited to be eliminated (this applies more to Steve/Dave.)
Other issues I've had with the teams is the constant sniping with each other (it's nice when a few teams do it, but when all of them do it gets on my nerves), plus M/S talking about being married to athletes, J/A being clowns and trying to take over the legacy of the Festers, Cha-Cha-Cha, and Oh, Brother.

Some of these challenges are similar to those in previous seasons (if I remember correctly) so I would have liked to have seen all new ones made up, but I'm not going to complain about that or the destinations, because even though they visited some of the same countries, they still make it interesting and don't show the same sights.

There are a few minor things I'd like to see changed. As far as the final 4 teams, I'm hoping K/J make the final 3 because I really don't want to see 3 all male teams there, and I agree that D/J and R/C are just like Rob/Brennan clones. I won't be disappointed if R/C win as long as D/J don't. Since we haven't seen much of them, I can't beleive their in the final 3.

PandaRock 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-06-03, 10:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PandaRock Click to send private message to PandaRock Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad"
(First of all, this shouldn't be on the bashers forum. Yes, I am bashing the race, but I am an Amazing Race fan. I really liked this race for a while and I liked 3,2 and the second half of 1 (i missed the first half.)

Okay, I guess some of you are right.

I did base my assumptions on the teams I liked and didn't like. You are also right that the race has made up for itself by having better detours/roadblocks.

However, let me say this: The race could be a whole lot better if the teams still in it had more dynamics and were more entertaining to watch (not just because they are funny, but because they have strategy, desicion-making skills, brains and personalities). The teams we are left with pertty much bore me.

So instead of bashing the teams left, I'll analyze the ones I liked who are now eliminated.

Monica and Sheree: The reason I really liked this team was that they were strong racers, nice people, and had a good friendship. They may not have always been the leaders of the pack, but they made good decisions and hung in their. It was great to see them cheer each other on and generally be nice people. They definetly could have been the first all-female team to win the race. But they just couldn't find good directions in India and they got eliminated (very sad). I would have loved to watch them continue and race despite the fact that they are both female.

Tian and Jaree: My favorite team on the race (untill they got eliminated). I dare anyone to say that it wasn't great to see them put aside their differences and run a great race in teh first leg of India after blasting insults at each other in Amsterdam. It would've made for intersting TV to see if Tian and Jaree could hold together their friendship (or cease-fire, as I called it) through the rest of the race and possibly go on to win (they were also very qualified candidates to be the first all-female team to win the race) or would there been another communication breakdown putting them in jeopardy of being eliminated.

*Note: If looked back on past racers, the first leg run by 6 teams is always non-elimination. The first leg run by 6 teams in TAR4 was the leg in which Tian and Jaree were eliminated. I was much dissapointed to hear Phil say "The last team to check in will be eliminated."

Steve and Dave: I really liked this team. The end of the pack was kind of their place (and it was inevitable that they wouldn't last extremly long, but I would much rather have seen these two than some team like The Goats). But at the beginning of every episode you would always sort of wonder: "Will they be able to sneak under the wire one more time?" It made for a good race to see if they could elude elimination one more time. I even called them "The Silent Killers" once, because they seemed like such docile creatures, but they kept placing ahead of the team eliminated week after week (except for when they got the Fast Forward). I also think that they could've been great racers if they had hung in their. Their air-traffic controllers, and they better have nerves of steel (lest they want to suffer a nervous breakdown on the job and cause the death of countless innocents). It would've been very interesting to see them in a very high stress moment and watch them try and keep their cool while other more "high strung" racers buckled under confusion or pressure.

OKay, so I'm done rambling. Wait, I'm not. Let me just say the story behind the whole Version thing.

The "Versions" as I call them are the 30-something, muscular, good looking (the exceptiong being Version 4.0) alpha males who always do well. Version 1.0 was Rob and Brennan. Version 2.0 was Chris and Alex. I may have gotten carried away with Version 3.0, 4.0 and 4.gay, because so far none of them have won. But needless to say, they all come out of the same mold. There was quite a backlash against the Versions, as you can see in TAR3 when Aaron and Arianne, Flo and Zach, Jill and Jon Vito and Michael and Kathy al set their sights on taking down Derek and Drew in Mexico. I think Arianne said it best (this isn't an exact quote, but it's what I remember) :"We really don't want them to win, because a team like them won in the first race, and a team like them won in the second race." The thing that set Derek and Drew apart was that they were twins. The thing that sets Versions 4.0 and 4.gay apart is that one team devoid of personality, and the other team is devoid of affection.

Now I'm done rambling.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

08-07-03, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: TAR4: The Race Gone Bad"
I disagree with Reichen/Chip not being interesting and Jon/Al being very interesting. It's totally the opposite for me. But anyway, for the most part your points are dead on. This is the first edition of TAR where I don't care who wins at all. Not enough teams that evoke strong feelings one way or another.

The casting was pretty bad. With TAR casting is tricky because teams that are dysfunctional are eliminated. You need to make your dysfunctional teams also be able to work well together. (See: Wil/Tara or Millie/Chuck)

But I really think we needed more diversity. Usually TAR has the most diverse cast. This crew was (mostly) a bunch of young, caucasian models. Too many physically dominating male-male teams. The two all-women teams they cast were both pretty strong, but there were only two of them. I am also sick of male-male friend pairings. Those are always the most boring teams to watch. There need to be more Kevin/Drews or even Oswald/Danny than Rob/Brennan or Chris/Alex.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •