The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Jill's puppet show"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over Individual Houseguest Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

SOinEden 157 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-24-05, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SOinEden Click to send private message to SOinEden Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Jill's puppet show"
Is it just me or was that puppet show the strangest thing?? How can IV know how Jill's father would have answered those questions??

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Jill's puppet show kfennessey464 10-24-05 1
 RE: Jill's puppet show ShayShay1981 10-24-05 2
   RE: Jill's puppet show chaines 10-24-05 3
       RE: Jill's puppet show kcoxe 10-24-05 4
 RE: Jill's puppet show kimmiepooh 10-24-05 5
   RE: Jill's puppet show Sharon_L 10-24-05 6
       RE: Jill's puppet show L_11 10-24-05 7
       RE: Jill's puppet show L_11 10-24-05 8
   RE: Jill's puppet show LRoyce 10-25-05 25
 RE: Jill's puppet show bentherdunthat 10-24-05 9
   RE: Jill's puppet show divawahine 10-25-05 14
   RE: Jill's puppet show rookwood 10-25-05 19
 RE: Jill's puppet show Labyrinth 10-24-05 10
   RE: Jill's puppet show Redbud 10-24-05 11
   RE: Jill's puppet show SOinEden 10-24-05 12
       RE: Jill's puppet show Devlynne 10-25-05 15
   RE: Jill's puppet show polarbearmolly 10-25-05 17
       RE: Jill's puppet show Labyrinth 10-25-05 18
       RE: Jill's puppet show rookwood 10-25-05 20
       RE: Jill's puppet show Cleverone 10-25-05 21
   RE: Jill's puppet show shayshay1 10-25-05 23
       RE: Jill's puppet show Labyrinth 10-25-05 24
 RE: Jill's puppet show Professormommy 10-24-05 13
 RE: Jill's puppet show AshLanie 10-25-05 16
   RE: Jill's puppet show kcoxe 10-25-05 22
       RE: Jill's puppet show atzd 10-25-05 26

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kfennessey464 27 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-24-05, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kfennessey464 Click to send private message to kfennessey464 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
I surely agree with you Soineden.......that was so strange.....way out there....very childish...I'm not sure I like what i've been seeing the LC's do with Jill......I guess I'll just have to just wait and see...

ShayShay1981 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-24-05, 06:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShayShay1981 Click to send private message to ShayShay1981 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
I agree! I was thinking to myself during that whole scene how crazy that was. I just didn't get it. It was very weird. Maybe Jill got something out of it though, she seemed very emotional afterwards.

chaines 86 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-05, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail chaines Click to send private message to chaines Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
In one breath she's telling Lisa that she needs to buck up and stop her temper tantrum and right before that, she's pretending she knows what Jill's father would say to her. I really don't get what the point is.........'Lots of us grew up with fathers that weren't there, emotionally/physically and/or both. Isn't it about time that Jill give it up and start taking responsibility for her own life?

kcoxe 132 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-05, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kcoxe Click to send private message to kcoxe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
>In one breath she's telling Lisa
>that she needs to buck
>up and stop her temper
>tantrum and right before that,
>she's pretending she knows what
>Jill's father would say to
>her. I really don't
>get what the point is.........'Lots
>of us grew up with
>fathers that weren't there, emotionally/physically
>and/or both. Isn't it
>about time that Jill give
>it up and start taking
>responsibility for her own life?
>

I don't think Jill has ever PROPERLY delt with the abandament from her father. That is why she is the way she is. She can't put it away and buck up until she has let it go the right way. Otherwise, it will continually raise its ugly head. Even if it takes a vacation from time to time.

kimmiepooh 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-24-05, 07:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kimmiepooh Click to send private message to kimmiepooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
i agree with you,how does she know that is how her father feels???

Sharon_L 260 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-24-05, 08:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sharon_L Click to send private message to Sharon_L Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
I only caught a bit of todays show but did see part of the puppet scene. I thought Iyanla had a good start with Jill regarding her father but those puppets...lol. I don't know, seemed almost like a black comedy about an issue that I believe is profoundly hurtful to Jill. It might even be the biggest obstacle she has to overcome.

If Iyanla had used the puppets with Lisa I'd probably think it was good thing.

Maybe they'll track down Jill's father. I wonder how many years it's been since she's seen him and even if he's still living.

L_11 198 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-05, 08:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L_11 Click to send private message to L_11 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
So agree.

As I sat there stunned, however, I kept noticing how when Jill felt rejected, so did the puppet. Which I found fascinating. And heart-breaking.

Until I remembered what this was. Two grown women, playing sock-puppets. As so many have said on this board, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Thanks.

This season is going to be rock'n'roll, I think.

L_11 198 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-05, 08:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L_11 Click to send private message to L_11 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
>If Iyanla had used the puppets
>with Lisa I'd probably think
>it was good thing.
>

LRoyce 35 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-25-05, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LRoyce Click to send private message to LRoyce Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
KIMMIEPOOH: Don't you think maybe it was what Jill needed to hear so she could begin dealing with her feelings about abandonment? All of this is so complicated, just as we are so complicated. Things we have buried that are huge can't just be ripped open and exposed; it would probably kill us, at least emotionally. This way, Jill can look at this issue, gentled a little by the possibility that her Father may indeed regret missing out on his daughter and her life. At least, that is my opinion.

bentherdunthat 518 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-24-05, 08:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bentherdunthat Click to send private message to bentherdunthat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
IV DIDN'T know how Jill's father would have responded, and it didn't matter what he would have said. IV responded with the answers Jill needed to hear to move forward in her healing by facing her father's abandonment. It doesn't matter what the answer was, what mattered is that Jill asked the questions and brought out those feelings of anger and abandonment.

divawahine 51 desperate attention whore postings

10-25-05, 02:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail divawahine Click to send private message to divawahine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
Kudo's to you! My sentiments exactly bentherduntha. And that's all I have to say about that.

rookwood 350 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-25-05, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail rookwood Click to send private message to rookwood Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
AMEN. I'm glad someone here understood what Iyanla was trying to do for Jill. Whether or not she ever speaks to her father again, Jill needs closure on this.

Labyrinth 1248 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-24-05, 09:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
Actually this was the first time that I thought IV might know what she was doing.... using puppets, dolls, and other role playing is a legit form of helping a patient express themselves.

It's not the point of what her father would have really said but for Jill to express her anger and fears without being condemned. Role play can be very powerful and I think Jill was able to start "getting it."

Redbud 573 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-24-05, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Redbud Click to send private message to Redbud Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
I think the puppet show technique is used with children to allow them to express their feelings (especially in abuse cases) to a non-threatening "person" with whom they can feel safe. I thought the technique had value with Jill but Iyanla was walking on dangerous ground speak for Jill's father as the puppet. There's no way Iyanla would know his words and so she just had to make them up. How do you deal with make believe comments??

SOinEden 157 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-05, 09:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SOinEden Click to send private message to SOinEden Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
I can see what you are getting at,, but a puppet show??? she could have written a play and did the same thing Jessica did. She could have had any answer she wanted,,, I just think the puppet show was a little crazy. I got the point but she could have written it out,,,,,

Devlynne 154 desperate attention whore postings

10-25-05, 06:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devlynne Click to send private message to Devlynne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
Everyone has a different style for approaching the world. Some are more concrete and learn best from hands on experiences. Whereas others are more auditory and learn best from hearing material. And still others are more sensory... etc. Anyway it doesn't seem like Jill 'gets it' with some of the written exercises like the Real Jill radio thing or the first part of the baggage exercise. I did find the puppet thing odd, but I can see where a non-written assignment might benefit Jill. At least it wasn't another obstacle course that was tough to watch. (IMO)

polarbearmolly 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-25-05, 07:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail polarbearmolly Click to send private message to polarbearmolly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
It may have seemed weird and childish... but sometimes when things happen to people in childhood, people need a child's way of expressing them. Having an adult conversation may not allow you to express how you see it, because your feelings may be "child-feelings" and you may not be able to express them with adult words. Doing something symbollic (like a puppet show) gives a way to help express it. When Jill was crying, IV said, "Let her cry" to Jill. I think she was referring to Jill's "inner child".
As for what IV said, sometimes part of therapy is a kind of "re-parenting"... in the sense that you get some of the care you didn't receive as a child. I agree that IV was saying what Jill needed to hear from her Dad, in order to help Jill heal.

10-25-05, 09:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
I agree on the re-parenting.

The truth is that we don't know what Jill's dad would have said. But I do know one truth - no matter what he said it would never have healed her or made the years of neglect go away.

This exercise is for Jill to have time to voice those deep feelings of rejection, anger and hurt that she has denied herself. Instead of acknowledging how the lack of her father made her feel, she instead blusters and becomes belligerent.

Play Therapy is a recognized part of therapy. I think it can be very powerful for people who deny their inner feelings.

Although these links are for children using play therapy, I thought folks might be interested in learning more about it -

http://www.play-therapy.com/parents1.htm

http://vapt.cisat.jmu.edu/WHATPLAYTHERAPYIS.HTML

http://www.a4pt.org/parents/

One of the best exercises I've done with my son was a play therapy one - on the surface it didn't seem very powerful but it had very quick results.

rookwood 350 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-25-05, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail rookwood Click to send private message to rookwood Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
>As for what IV said, sometimes
>part of therapy is a
>kind of "re-parenting"... in the
>sense that you get some
>of the care you didn't
>receive as a child. I
>agree that IV was saying
>what Jill needed to hear
>from her Dad, in order
>to help Jill heal.

Ditto to that. It wasn't about what Jill's dad would've really said, it was about what Jill needed to hear to move on and heal.

Cleverone 759 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-25-05, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleverone Click to send private message to Cleverone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
I have to agree with you here, Polarbearmolly, Iyanla was doing this for the "child" who was abandoned by her father and it's a big enough issue for it to be addressed in this manner..it wasn't necessary to know what he'd have said...but, extremely necessary for Jill to unload the resentment she was housing since early childhood...and as L_11 noted Jill's puppet expressed the sadness that she felt when speaking to her father and it made me really feel for her. I thought the exercise was a good one for Jill who "is" obviously hurting from abandonment.

"I walk in my own shoes..."

shayshay1 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-25-05, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shayshay1 Click to send private message to shayshay1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
>Actually this was the first time
>that I thought IV might
>know what she was doing....
>using puppets, dolls, and other
>role playing is a legit
>form of helping a patient
>express themselves

Have to remeber these ladies are not patients they are clients,Iv and rhonda are not therapists they are life coaches, this puppet show was strange,not for jill but maybe for Lisa since shes a big baby

10-25-05, 12:09 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
Any more strange then dressing Lisa up as a baby and having her stroll the streets with questionnaire? any more strange then Layne marrying herself? Any more strange then wearing a vest with all your excuses?

Professormommy 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-24-05, 09:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Professormommy Click to send private message to Professormommy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
Thank you SOinEden. I was thinking the exact same thing.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-25-05, 07:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
>Is it just me or was
>that puppet show the strangest
>thing?? How can IV know
>how Jill's father would have
>answered those questions??

IV just needed to get in some more acting air time.

kcoxe 132 desperate attention whore postings

10-25-05, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kcoxe Click to send private message to kcoxe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
>>Is it just me or was
>>that puppet show the strangest
>>thing?? How can IV know
>>how Jill's father would have
>>answered those questions??
>
>
>
>
>
>IV just needed to get in
>some more acting air time.
>

Oh yeah, THAT was what it was all about. NOT

atzd 83 desperate attention whore postings

10-25-05, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail atzd Click to send private message to atzd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Jill's puppet show"
I like the idea of a puppet show, but IV answering the questions was no good. When she answered why didn't you look for me in a sweet voice "because of fear" I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. Kidding oneself never heals anything. I think more likely her father's answer was "cause I was lazy and didn't want to take responsibility" I'm not saying that that's what Iyanla should have said, but the activity should have been arranged a bit differently.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •