The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"World of Darkness 1.0: January 1st, 1991 -- April 30th, 2004"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-30-04, 06:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"World of Darkness 1.0: January 1st, 1991 -- April 30th, 2004"
And in almost-completely-pointless cultural news today, the single most depressive environment ever created for people to supposedly have fun in -- and actually wind up depressing themselves, others, and portions of the local economy by wasting money on this thing -- bites the dust at midnight tonight.

Good riddance.

(Oh, that felt good...)

Of course, they're bringing it back in August with version 2.0, which will be even more depressing and pointless than ever before! But at least for a few months, let the fog lift.

Anyone up for a quick game of Candyland?

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, be thankful. If the words Kindred: the embraced are echoing in your head, I apologize. If you're currently playing Redemption, don't waste your time in going for the 'happy' ending. And if you actually followed this thing down into the crematorium -- party! You've earned it! You're free!)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January... greenmonstah 04-30-04 1
 RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January... Asrai 04-30-04 2
   RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January... greenmonstah 04-30-04 3
   RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January... Estee 04-30-04 8
 RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January... Drive My Car 04-30-04 4
   RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January... Estee 04-30-04 5
 Sounds pretty goth to me FesterFan1 04-30-04 6
   RE: Sounds pretty goth to me Estee 04-30-04 7
   RE: Sounds pretty goth to me tjstein 04-30-04 9
       RE: Sounds pretty goth to me Estee 04-30-04 10
       RE: Sounds pretty goth to me ginger 04-30-04 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 07:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January 1st, 1991 -- April 30th, 2004"

Estee...I have no idea what you are talking about BUT anything called "World of Darkness" cannot possibly contribute much to the greater good...

Asrai 6083 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 07:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Asrai Click to send private message to Asrai Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January 1st, 1991 -- April 30th, 2004"
I'm assuming this is a game...right?

I'm a dork!

Sigpic crafted by the master himself, IceCat!

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 07:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January 1st, 1991 -- April 30th, 2004"

Yes Arai, but you are OUR dork

04-30-04, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January 1st, 1991 -- April 30th, 2004"
All right. I have to explain this. I'll try to keep it relatively short.

Most of you are probably aware of the existence of role-playing games, if only through ABC's numerous 'Dungeons and Dragons will drive your children to Satanism' public awareness pieces, oddly timed during sweeps months every few years. What you may not be aware of is that RPGs cover virtually every genre. Some of them even go literary. One company in particular is infamous for getting authors to work on their own licenses: Terry Prachett, Jack Vance, Andre Norton, David Brin, and Alan Dean Foster have all given over worlds to one company. Of course, that company also has the Prisoner rights...

One of those genres is horror.

There's a long-standing tradition there, of course, and it's decidedly literary. Lovecraft's works were the most frequently adapted, and they're still pursued today. But in RPG format, the Cthulhu cycle changes a little. Yes, the Elder Gods are coming, yes, all humanity will be driven insane and it's basically going to be a contest to see who gets eaten first. But you can stall. An early Cthulhu gamebook pointed out that if the humans seal a gateway for eighty years, it means nothing to the big, bad cosmic forces. They can wait. But for the human race, it's a major gain: four generations to plan, research, investigate, and find a way to stall again -- or perhaps even win in the end.

Horror requires hope. That's almost automatic. Horror without hope is called 'being doomed', and if you're that doomed, you might as well curl up on the floor and wait. It isn't horror if you don't have the chance to fight back -- even if that chance fails -- it's literary sadism.

So: along comes a gaming company with an idea for a horror setting, which they term the World of Darkness. And the core idea here is that several groups of supernatural beings exist in the shadows, outside the knowledge of normal people -- and, amazingly, each other. (This is the part that's generally hardest to swallow after a while.) And all of these supernaturals have one thing in common: their tales, legends, and prophecies say the earth is in its last days.

Well, two things in common. Whether you were working with vampires, werewolves, mages, wraiths, fae, hunters, or (at the end) literal demons/fallen angels, the system each group followed was designed to cascade things towards the end. There was no plan too workable to spoil with petty politics, there was no way to keep the system from spending all its time fighting itself, and no one would ever, ever listen to you. Basically like real life, only with dice.

But -- as this game grew (and to be fair, it could be a wonderfully conceived setting, with occasional sightings of great writing), the inevitable occured. The players took over. In a very real sense, RPG companies don't really own their settings: they rent them out. The players will put their own spin on them. And since this was a horror setting, the players did the 'no hope, no horror' math and made the environment their own. The game was designed to keep characters down? To make sure they never succeeded at anything without a horrible penalty all out of proportion to the actual victory? The fictional world was cascading towards an end? Fine. That was the setting. But they'd change it within their game. They'd find a way to stall. And perhaps stalling long enough would equal victory -- or give them time to find a real one.

Well, last year, the publisher reminded everyone of just who really owned the game by saying 'We've been threatening the end of the world for twelve years. The bill just came due.' And then they crashed the system. A series of four books ended the environment, piling on the indignities, unfairness, depression, and enough 'You've had your 'fun': goodbye' to make a large segment of the community throw up their hands and walk away permanently.

Y'see, the players thought the publisher had been thinking along their lines. It was basically going to be a magic trick, the ultimate cliffhanger. 'We've made sure there's no way out -- wanna see how we get out of it?' That at the end of all the horror, there would be -- hope.

And, by and large, they were very, very wrong.

Then, insult to injury: having crashed this setting, the publisher announced a brand-new World of Darkness to be released in August. And many players said 'Why should I commit to you when you'll just destroy this eventually, too?'

The original WoD will still be used as a setting for games: a lot of groups simply divorced the company when the announcement was made and went on their merry way. But there's a level of trust that's been broken -- and there's a question as to whether it should have existed in the first place. The artist and the person viewing the painting are not equal partners in the work. But when the artist provides a partially-filled canvas to the viewer along with a set of paints, and then tries to pull the result into the fire...?

In the end, it was a conflict of vision. The players mostly saw hope, and the publisher mostly saw destruction. But when your continued existence depends on the support of those who buy your products, shouldn't a little time be spent in finding out what those people think about the work?

Then again, I'm asking that question on a site dedicated in part to figuring out why reality show producers can never realize what the viewers want to see.

And that was, believe it or not, the short version.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 07:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January 1st, 1991 -- April 30th, 2004"
Is this a sports thing?

04-30-04, 08:26 AM (EST)
5. "RE: World of Darkness 1.0: January 1st, 1991 -- April 30th, 2004"
That would depend. Is inflicting pain on oneself considered a sport in these parts? And remember: if it is, then we need to start an official record book and Hall of Fame for A.S.S. watching.

(I'd explain, but A. it's long and B. so far, I'm just so proud of y'all for not knowing what it is.)

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 09:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Sounds pretty goth to me"
Are they going to replace Robert Smith with Mecha-Robert Smith in v. 2.0?

Fester
Why am I reminded of that SNL skit with Chris Kattan as the high school goth who runs a show from his Mom's basement? Clearly I'm missing some vital info here.

04-30-04, 10:23 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Sounds pretty goth to me"
You're half-right. The publisher's tagline for the product was always 'Gothic-Punk'. Capitals theirs.

(I half-expected JSlice to get this one. I don't know why.)

tjstein 1960 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-30-04, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tjstein Click to send private message to tjstein Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Sounds pretty goth to me"

Why am I craving Cinnabons now?

slice slice baby!

04-30-04, 04:21 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Sounds pretty goth to me"
No problem, but you can only have them with straight black expresso.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Sounds pretty goth to me"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •