The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Best Campaign Promises"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

DSpunk 3270 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-29-04, 07:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DSpunk Click to send private message to DSpunk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Best Campaign Promises"
Alright y'all... seeing as voting seems to be coming to the forefront of today's OT thinking, let's all do our best to remember the best campaign promises we've ever heard, fulfilled or not.

Mine? When I was going to school at UC Davis, a guy ran for student government with the following platform:

I will put 2-ply toilet paper in all restrooms in the Memorial (student) Union.

Sliced.
2 Corinthians 4: 7-15

I expect your best, most partisan low-blows.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Best Campaign Promises RudyRules 04-30-04 1
   RE: Best Campaign Promises Tiger Lily 04-30-04 2
       RE: Best Campaign Promises RudyRules 04-30-04 3
           RE: Best Campaign Promises udg 04-30-04 5
               RE: Best Campaign Promises J Slice 04-30-04 7
                   RE: Best Campaign Promises DSpunk 04-30-04 9
                       RE: Best Campaign Promises ConningOfficer 04-30-04 10
                           RE: Best Campaign Promises DSpunk 04-30-04 11
                               RE: Best Campaign Promises nailbone 04-30-04 13
                           RE: Best Campaign Promises udg 04-30-04 22
               It is available KeithFan 04-30-04 12
                   RE: It is available nailbone 04-30-04 14
                       RE: It is available KeithFan 04-30-04 17
                           RE: It is available nailbone 04-30-04 18
                   RE: It is available Spidey 04-30-04 29
                       RE: It is available KeithFan 04-30-04 31
 Mondale PagongRatEater 04-30-04 4
   RE: Mondale KeithFan 04-30-04 6
       RE: Mondale wildchickenhunter 04-30-04 8
           I thought Bush said... grit 04-30-04 19
               RE: I thought Bush said... tjstein 04-30-04 24
               RE: I thought Bush said... nailbone 04-30-04 25
                   Are you threatening me? tjstein 04-30-04 26
                       RE: Are you threatening me? PagongRatEater 04-30-04 27
                           RE: Are you threatening me? tjstein 04-30-04 28
                       RE: Are you threatening me? nailbone 04-30-04 30
 RE: Best Campaign Promises Tiggertramp 04-30-04 15
   RE: Best Campaign Promises DSpunk 04-30-04 16
       RE: Best Campaign Promises ginger 04-30-04 20
       RE: Best Campaign Promises Tiggertramp 04-30-04 21
           RE: Best Campaign Promises DSpunk 04-30-04 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

RudyRules 8360 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-30-04, 00:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RudyRules Click to send private message to RudyRules Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-04 AT 00:10 AM (EST)

A chicken in every pot and pot in every chicken courtesy of RR/NB '04

Flight plan by RollDdice

Oh, and cabana boys/girls for all!

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

04-30-04, 00:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
Oh, and cabana boys/girls for all!

Well, you two have my vote.

Even if you are Republicans.

RudyRules 8360 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 00:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RudyRules Click to send private message to RudyRules Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
We aim to please.

Flight plan by RollDdice

Republicans aren't all kill-joys you know. It's just a vicious rumor 'cause Hoover was President during Prohibition.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 02:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
Speaking of pot and killjoys, there was an article in the latest issue of Mothering about the use of cannabis for treating severe morning sickness. They suspect that it is more effective than current prescription meds with fewer side effects. Unfortunately, no one has studied it (for obvious reasons), so there's no scientific proof one way or the other. The article was arguing for the legalization of medical marijuna.

UDG
Hoover was from Iowa. Therefore, Iowans are killjoys.
It's all about logic.

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"

Well, if you eat weed brownies while pregnant (which is a lot safer for baby's lungs than smoking da kine) you take care of both morning sickness and those weird pregnancy cravings... mmm... pregnant.

There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? - Randal, Clerks

04-30-04, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DSpunk Click to send private message to DSpunk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
Maybe you guys are just joking, but it seems like the narcotic effects of weed might be worse for the baby than any other side effect.

btw... nice thresdjack... that segue was so smooth, you guys should look into radio work.

ConningOfficer 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-30-04, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ConningOfficer Click to send private message to ConningOfficer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
Since when did THC become a magic panacea? And when did it become mainstream? 1998? 1999? Or am I just a victim of my naive, sheltered midwestern upbringing?

When THC treatments start getting published in the New England Journal of Medicine, then maybe I'll start paying a little closer attention.

The only panacea arguments that I've read have been pamphlets handed to me by dread-locked, hemp-clad college students that are advocating the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana, or those trying to get me to sign some petition - which I do - as Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse.

Moot point, though for me, philosophical concerns aside (and you can guess where I fall on the issue, and you're likely right). The simple consequence equation is:

Frequent pee tests + any THC use = instant bad-conduct discharge (at a minimum).

04-30-04, 10:38 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
They wanna make sure you're not skimming off the seizures.

That sounds really weird.

I was in the same boat for a long time during college and for a while afterwards: DOT (Hmm... isn't CG under the DOT???) requires random drug tests of anyone who drives commercial vehicles, and since I drove ag trucks and later transit and charter buses, I stayed away from the stuff for more than 5 years.

And when I went back, I really didn't have much fun. Which is probably a good thing.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
Eh, it just made me cough.

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
For the record, I've never even been in the room with pot (after pot has been smoked, yes, but not while it's been consumed &/or smoked), let alone used it personally. I don't drink alcohol, and I've taken over the counter medication a grand total of 3 times in the past 6 years. I threw a surprise party for my husband's 21st birthday, and he and a lot of his friends were drinking. One of them slurred, "Partying with you is like partying with the pope. You're so pious 'n stuff." Hee hee.

However, I do know that pot is supposed to be good for nausea caused by chemo, so I can see why people would want to try it for extreme morning sickness as well (and we're talking EXTREME, losing lots of pounds over the course of months and months of not being able to even keep water down sick, not just puking once a day sick). And, I thought it would make for interesting conversation.

UDG
Personally, I think that medicine is medicine, whether it comes from a plant, the ocean, an animal, or a chemical lab.

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "It is available"
Marinol, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, is one of the active ingredients in marijuana, and is available by prescription for HIV/AIDS related anorexia/loss of appetite, and for nausea induced by cancer chemotherapy.

The problem is that nooooooobody wants to study in on pregnant women (not even with a 10 ft pole), because the potential lawsuits would outweigh the profit made, even if it is shown to be nonteratogenic. Thalidomide anyone?

FDA Administrator- RR/NB 2004

04-30-04, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: It is available"
Oh sure, pull out the BIG words.

04-30-04, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: It is available"
Well, if I can't dazzle em with brilliance I'll baffle em with bull####!

04-30-04, 01:59 PM (EST)
18. "RE: It is available"
Are you in our Cabinet yet?

Cuz you'd fit right in.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: It is available"
Although there may not be any official studies on the effects of marijuana on pregnant women, there is no evidence anywhere that light to moderate pot smoking during pregancy causes any harm whatsoever to the fetus. (although I could imagine if someone chain-smoked joints like cigs it might be somewhat detrimental in the birth-weight area.)

If fact, moderate use of just about any non-addictive narcotic is safe during pregancy. I had major gallbladder trouble during my first one and was put on tylenol w/ codine. The dr. said the only effect on the baby would be mildly slowed breathing, but as long as I didn't take any once I went into labor, no prob.

And I could definitely see pot helping morning sickness. I made a personal choice not to smoke anything during my pregnacy kind of as a "better safe than sorry" approach. But I also currently and in the past have had terrible stomach problems that make me very, very nauseous. And it helps. A lot. Some days it's the only reason I can even eat.

04-30-04, 09:43 PM (EST)
31. "RE: It is available"
...if you can be sure of your source, chances are you are probably correct. The problem, in my view, would be the fact that it is not regulated, and there could be insectacides etc that could harm a fetus. Not a chance I would want to take.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 01:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Mondale"
When he promised to raise our taxes it had to be the Stupidest. campaign promise. Ever.

As Homer Simpson said - "No wonder he won Minnesota."

04-30-04, 09:53 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Mondale"
Absolute worste... but "Read.My.Lips.No.New.Taxes" comes close to the dumbest: not the intent, mind you, just the breaking of said promise.

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail wildchickenhunter Click to send private message to wildchickenhunter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Mondale"
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-04 AT 10:04 AM (EST)

That was one of the most confusing elections for me...see I thought he had said 'Read my lips, all new taxes'.
Then when he did just that everyone was mad.

Flying my car to the nudie bar!

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-30-04, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "I thought Bush said..."
..."No new Texas."

That's why I voted for him - one Texas was more than enough...

...hiding under my desk to avoid a *whack*...

tjstein 1960 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-30-04, 03:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tjstein Click to send private message to tjstein Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: I thought Bush said..."
And I thought it meant "No New Texans"...but that ended up not being true either....

*sigh*

slice slice baby!

Speaking of taxes & such, I still remember the SNL episode after Dukakis lost the election. They did a Dukakis After Hours sketch with Jon Lovitz as Dukakis in a smoking jacket. Someone asked him to be honest...he really would have raised taxes, right? He just looked at the camera, stuck his thumb in the air and said "Through the roof!"

I *heart* me some Jon Lovitz.

04-30-04, 03:47 PM (EST)
25. "RE: I thought Bush said..."
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-04 AT 03:47 PM (EST)

*reaching under the desk to deliver a sharp Texas WHACK to Grit*

And tj is next.

04-30-04, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tjstein Click to send private message to tjstein Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Are you threatening me?"

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Are you threatening me?"
Is this your new sig pic? The dial-up users are gonna hate that.

04-30-04, 04:44 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Are you threatening me?"
No, I was just messin' with Winky Boner...I'll stop now.

04-30-04, 05:53 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Are you threatening me?"
It's the Evil tjholio!!!!

Tiggertramp 3141 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiggertramp Click to send private message to Tiggertramp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
Back when I was a christian and was in this really cool youth group, we had elections for our youth group. We had the coolest.person.ever (IMO) run for office, her name was "Whitey" due to the fact she looked like an albino, she was short, had short white hair, she was one of the most incredible people I ever knew.

Anyway, she had the BEST.promise.ever:

"I won't make any bogus campaign promises. Those kind of promises just set people up for disappointment, false hope and expectations. To me expectation always set you up for disappointments. I will just do my best that's all a person can hope for."

Won by a landslide. And she rocked.

Excellent siggy by JSlice, Worm by the Fab IceCat
I wish I were a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum...Cuz how can you be grumpy, When the sun shines out your bum??

04-30-04, 01:32 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
Back when I was a Christian...

that was you?

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
I liked the toilet paper platform. It was tangible.

For your amusement, some of Huey Long's "Every Man a King" speech:

Now, we have organized a society, and we call it "Share Our Wealth Society," a society with the motto "every man a king."

Every man a king, so there would be no such thing as a man or woman who did not have the necessities of life, who would not be dependent upon the whims and caprices and ipsi dixit of the financial martyrs for a living. What do we propose by this society? we propose to limit the wealth of big men in the country. there is an average of $15,000 in wealth to every family in America. That is right here today.

We do not propose to divide it up equally. we do not propose a division of wealth, but we propose to limit poverty that we will allow to be inflicted upon any man's family. we will not say we are going to try to guarantee any equality, or $15,000 to families. No; but we do say that one third of the average is low enough for any one family to hold, that there should be a guaranty of a family wealth of around $5,000; enough for a home, and automobile, a radio, and the ordinary conveniences, and the opportunity to educate their children; a fair share of the income of this land thereafter to that family so there will be no such thing as merely the select to have those things, and so there will be no such thing as a family living in poverty and distress.

We have to limit fortunes. Our present plan is that we will allow no one man to own more than $50,000,000. We think that with that limit we will be able to carry out the balance of the program. It may be necessary that we limit it to less than $50,000,000. It may be necessary, in working out of the plans, that no man's fortune would be more than $10,000,00 or $15,000,000. But be that as it may, it will still be more than any one man, or any one man and his children and their children, will be able to spend in their lifetimes; and it is not necessary or reasonable to have wealth piled up beyond that point where we cannot prevent poverty among the masses.

Another thing we propose is old-age pension of $30 a month for everyone that is 60 years old. Now, we do not give this pension to a man making $1,000 a year, and we do not give it to him if he has $10,000 in property, but outside of that we do.

We will limit hours of work. There is not any necessity of having over-production. I think all you have got to do, ladies and gentlemen, is just limit the hours of work to such an extent as people will work only so long as is necessary to produce enough for all of the people to have what they need. Why, ladies and gentleman, let us say that all of these labor-saving devices reduce hours down to where you do not have to work but 4 hours a day; that is enough for these people, and then praise be the name of the Lord, if it gets that good. Let it be good and not a curse, and then we will have 5 hours a day and 5 days a week, or even less that that, and we might give a man a whole month off during a year, or give him 2 months; and we might do what other countries have seen fit to do, and what I did in Louisiana, by having schools by which adults could go back and learn the things that have been discovered since they went to school.

We will not have any trouble taking care of the agricultural situation. All you have to do is balance your production with your consumption. You simply have to abandon a particular crop that you have too much of, and all you have to do is store the surplus for the next year, and the Government will take it over. When you have good crops in the area in which the crops that have been planted are sufficient for another year, put in your public works in the particular year when you do not need to raise any more, and by that means you get everybody employed. When the Government has enough of any particular crop to take care of all of the people, that will be all that is necessary; an in order to do all of this, our taxation is going to be to take the billion-dollar fortunes and strip them down to frying size, not to exceed $50,000,000, and it it is necessary to come to $10,000,000, we will come to $10,000,000. We have worked the proposition out to guarantee a limit upon property (and no man will own less than on third the average), and guarantee a reduction of fortunes and a reduction of hours to spread wealth throughout this country. We would care for the old people above 60 and take them away from this thriving industry and given them a chance to enjoy the necessities and live in ease, and thereby lift from the market the labor which would probably create s surplus of commodities.

Those are the things we propose to do. "Every man a king." Every man to eat when there is something to eat; all to wear something when there is something to wear. That makes us all sovereign.

You have to imagine Broderick Crawford reading it.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Tiggertramp 3141 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 02:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiggertramp Click to send private message to Tiggertramp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
Before I became a born again witch.

Excellent siggy by JSlice, Worm by the Fab IceCat
I wish I were a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum...Cuz how can you be grumpy, When the sun shines out your bum??

04-30-04, 03:09 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Best Campaign Promises"
A baitch?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •