The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Who will get record contracts?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

weird al 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-16-05, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weird%20al Click to send private message to weird%20al Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Who will get record contracts?"
I'd like to throw out this question: which of this year's contestants do you think will get successful album deals even if they do not win? This can be any of the finalists, semi-finalists, or even audition rejects. It could be in any genre, including William Hung-style novelty.

My thoughts:

Carrie Underwood - could easily have a top-selling crossover country album. If I was a major label executive, she'd be the first one I'd try to sign.

Bo Bice - definitely has great potential as a rocker, along with plenty of experience with his own band. Appeals to people beyond the stereotypical AI crowd.

Nadia Turner - would probably sell a bit less, but still could make it to the top of the R&B charts.

While some of the others could get recording contracts, I don't see them as being terribly successful. For example, Anwar, while having a great voice, tends to be old-fashioned in his singing style and song selection. And most of the rest don't really have mass appeal.

Your thoughts?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Who will get record contracts? seahorse 03-16-05 1
   RE: Who will get record contracts? batts 03-16-05 2
 RE: Who will get record contracts? TARugh 03-16-05 3
   RE: Who will get record contracts? consise10 03-16-05 4
       RE: Who will get record contracts? consise10 03-16-05 5
 RE: Who will get record contracts? SurvivorBlows 03-16-05 6
   RE: Who will get record contracts? true 03-16-05 7
   RE: Who will get record contracts? DontGetMeStarted 03-17-05 11
 RE: Who will get record contracts? Wingbob 03-17-05 8
 RE: Who will get record contracts? archon 03-17-05 9
   RE: Who will get record contracts? Flairmarq 03-17-05 10
   RE: Who will get record contracts? uberspoon 03-17-05 12
       RE: Who will get record contracts? TARugh 03-17-05 14
       RE: Who will get record contracts? archon 03-18-05 16
 RE: Who will get record contracts? uberspoon 03-17-05 13
   RE: Who will get record contracts? yankee fan 03-17-05 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-16-05, 06:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
I think Anthony will do well, too.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

batts 1731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-16-05, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
I agree with Seahorse, Anthony will do well. And I am ready for Mario's first CD already. I so wanna hear more of Mario!

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-16-05, 07:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TARugh Click to send private message to TARugh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
Its almost predictable. But it would be fun to just give it some thought:

CARRIE: Definitely a country album. A dull one. I think she'll be a one-hit wonder. She's shown no personality in any of her interviews and therefore isn't that interesting. (I'd rather contemplate the existence of doilies.) In addition, she'll get tired of life in the fast lane and quickly retreat to the farms of Oklahoma

ANTAR: I'd be surpised if he didn't win at all. Should America vote poorly like they have the past three seasons, I see this gentleman becoming a modern-day Stevie Wonder - perhaps some type of Maxwell.

MIKALA: Heaven forbid. I think America will get tired of this pain right quick. I fear many vote for her purely because of her looks

LINDSEY: We won't hear from this oddly-shaped female after AI. Her songs don't stick out enough. Perhaps a future zydeco singer?

American Idol 4 - 'Yawn'

consise10 399 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-16-05, 08:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail consise10 Click to send private message to consise10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
Yeah from what I have seen on Amwar,I think the judges give him alittle too much credit.He`s not all that and I don`t see him having a successful record label or any thing.I find him and his style very ho hum and boring.The rocker Bo Bice and even Konstantine I could see being somewhat successful,but definately Carrie Underwood and the other Blond boy contestant.

consise10 399 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-05, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail consise10 Click to send private message to consise10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
I also doubt Aloha will get very far..she`s most irritating !

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-05, 10:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
>For example, Anwar, while having a great voice,
>tends to be old-fashioned in his singing style and song
>selection.

Just wondering (since I wasn't watching) -- did they say similar things about Clay Aiken two years ago?

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-05, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
Honestly, not that I recall. Clay was really loved that season, but I don't think the competition was near as stiff, at least in the beginning.

Not having watched him compete, I can get why you'd ask, but really, he had a huge following, and not all old ladies either.

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-17-05, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
Anwar=New Yanni

Wingbob 79 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-17-05, 07:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wingbob Click to send private message to Wingbob Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
Nadia is the only one IMHO that may be a successful recording artist.

Anthony - His voice is too Clay-like. Already have one Clay.

Bo - Too derivative. Can't make a living off impersonations of Gregg Allman and Bruce Springsteen, though he can go far on AI doing just that.

Constantine - You kiddin' me? There are singers on street corners with better voices than his. He should cut his losses and continue with "Rent".

Scott,Vonzell,Carrie,Jessica - Just not talented enough.

Nikko - Though boring, if he got in with the right producer, he might have a middlin' career.

Mikalah - Mixed emotions on her. If she could rein in her personality a bit and lose her Fran Dreschler singing voice, she might be good enough to be half-way successful.

Anwar - Just too boring. Great voice. Would probably have to reinvent himself to be a successful recording artist.

No matter how boring or untalented the contestants may be, they are sure to be around for a couple years doing AI tours, CDs, etc.

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 08:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail archon Click to send private message to archon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
I think the best thing that could happen is NOT to win this competition.

Clay is doing much better without being tied to AI.

Kelly? Still viable... but not much..
Rueben? Its over...
Fantasia? Please! give it a rest...

Bo will do fine, So will Anwar...
Constantine will be back at the clubs...
Scott? not sure yet...
Anthony? Not my type, but boyband stuff can sell to someone...
Nikko? Maybe if he stopped trying to impersonate the artist and just sang as himself...

Carrie - the BEST thing she could have happen to her is to finish 3rd and get a contract with a country label. I would buy her CD...

Nadia - same advice. But i would probably not buy her CD.

The rest are just 'also rans' - cannon fodder to draw the show out for 10 more weeks...

But believe it or not, i would buy a Lindsey CD = she has that cowboy junkies kinda sound. Not that she used it much, but the potential is there. Just needs a good vocal coach and some time...

so much for my diatribe...

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

ps-I am more predjudiced towards female singers, so keep that in mind when reading my comments...

Flairmarq 303 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flairmarq Click to send private message to Flairmarq Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
Carrie will definbately get signed to a country label.

Mikala will go to broadway--only place that will be able to handle her.

Constantine will form a band and release an album.

Bo will definately put out rock album. Let's hope Rick Rubens produces it.

Jessica has a shot at releasing, but I don't think it will go anywhere.

Nikko will do some hip hop album under Saint Lunatics label.

Lindsay is a no go.

Scott would be interesting doing a hip hop album with Fat Joe. Besides that, I don't see it happening.

Anwar will go down the soul track--possibly R & B.

Vonzell will go down the hip hop track--sing with some west coast label.

uberspoon 173 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail uberspoon Click to send private message to uberspoon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-05 AT 10:06 AM (EST)

Kelly? Still viable... but not much..

it's all good, but i have to totally disagree with you on that.

Kelly's latest album, Breakaway has already been in the upper rungs of the billboard chart (and it's still in the top 10) longer than Thankful and its (Breakaway's) sales have passed 2 Million. With the exception of A Moment Like This...both the singles Breakaway and Since You've Been Gone have been her 2 highest charting radio singles...and Since You've Been Gone Is currently #1 on the mainstream hit radio chart.

You gotta give Kelly props, she's quickly closing in on Clay as 'the most successful' idol contestant.

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 12:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TARugh Click to send private message to TARugh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
Sorry, I cannot give Kelly props. Its quite obvious she hasn't found her style yet. She keeps toying with different sub-genre's. America will tire of Clarkson very quickly. I think American Idol is the quickest way to kill a career, not jump-start it. After a few more grueling seasons of this mess, we will see some sort of connection to failing careers and participants on American Idol. You heard it here first. Tarugh!

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-05, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail archon Click to send private message to archon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
Oh, without a doubt she has sold records, and will probably continue to sell records for the near future...and my hat's off to her - she has made the most of this opportunity...

But, what does she have to say? Her music may be at #1, but does it have its own distinctive sound? To me - no. To make a comparison, a young Sarah McLachlan (lets go back to '93) was just breaking large after 3 years. No #1's. But her music was different. Her sound was different. She had something to say.

10 years later she has certainly accomplished alot and changed music for female artist in a big way.

Will Kelly?

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

uberspoon 173 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail uberspoon Click to send private message to uberspoon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
The average has been around 3 contestants per season getting a major record contract..and i would say this season's safest bets would be Carrie, Bo, and Nadia. Although if one of those 3 gets Latoya-ed (meaning, inexplicably booted too early), i'd say Anwar has an outside shot.

yankee fan 41 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-17-05, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail yankee%20fan Click to send private message to yankee%20fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Who will get record contracts?"
I would vote for Bo, Anwar and Carrie as far as talent goes.
I'm just not a Nadia fan, not sure why?
Although the others aren't quite as talented singers, that really doesn't mean much these days.
Bands today do NOT have the staying power like the good old bands (Rolling Stones, Eagles, etc.).
You need an image, a gimmick, don't need to play an instrument, just learn to dance, and have a "look".
It's kind of sad!
But a few of these people (IMO) are talented.
And...you don't need to win AI, just ask Clay!
P.S. Travis could've used more exposure, was cute, can dance...just couldn't sing that well, but like I said, that really doesn't matter these days!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •