The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"60's theme--Little Bang, Big whimper"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Flairmarq 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-16-05, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flairmarq Click to send private message to Flairmarq Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"60's theme--Little Bang, Big whimper"
Was it just me or did last night's performances mediocore? I think a lot of the songs were boring and slow. And obscure. I think they were kinda going out of their age range for this one. Thoughts about their choices and why in the hell it pretty much sucked last night....

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big wh... geg6 03-16-05 1
 RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big wh... kathliam 03-16-05 2
 RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big wh... geekboy 03-16-05 3
 RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big wh... Tahj 03-16-05 4
   RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big wh... LakerLuv 03-16-05 5
 RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big wh... TARugh 03-17-05 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-16-05, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big whimper"
Well, although I thought the talent pretty much stunk up the joint (with a few exceptions like Nadia, Bo, Constantine (shocking!), and Scott), the songs were only obscure if you're under the age of 35 or so. Guess that makes me old. LOL!

I'm such a slut for the blues.

kathliam 3669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-16-05, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kathliam Click to send private message to kathliam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big whimper"
I think they were kinda going out of their age range for this one.

It's a little hard not to be out of their age range, considering we're looking at an era of music that pre-dates the parents of some of these contestants. Seriously, the original artists were in the same general age group when they first recorded these little ditties. (jeez, I am old.)

Other than that, with a few exceptions the performances last night were a'ight.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-16-05, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big whimper"
I agree, it was a boring night. I think they all pretty much felt safe now that they were in the Top 12, but i think that is a huge mistake.

They did not listen to the judges and "bring it" last night, with a few obvious exceptions. It was boring, very few risks, very little originality. I think a girl is going, but based on the performances, it could be anyone (barring Nadia, Bo, Scott and Constantine). I think picking the bootee this season is going to be very hard, both due to the talent this season, and surprisingly due to the lack of displaying it last night.

My prediction, Lindsay, but as i said, it could be one of many people.

geekboy

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-16-05, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big whimper"
Yeah, I agree, they mostly were.

Anwar sang "A House is Not a Home," the same song Tamyra sang in the first season. While she was praised as outstanding for it, he was not, although he did sing it well. I thought Linsay and Vonzell were the worst.

I really liked Anthony's song, though, and didn't think it sounded as bad as the judges thought it did.

Moves courtesy of Syren

LakerLuv 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-16-05, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LakerLuv Click to send private message to LakerLuv Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big whimper"
LAST EDITED ON 03-16-05 AT 11:20 AM (EST)

I have two words for what was wrong with last night's performances:

SONG SELECTION!

The contestants need to pick songs they can absolutely OWN while onstage and it should be fairly familiar with most of the voting audience. Grant it, these contestants were born about 15-20 years after most of the songs in the 60s catalog, but if you are a true singer and a true performer, you know how to pick a song that showcases your talents. The 60s were probably the best decade for music in America and if you can choose any song from the 60s, there are two many good choices to make.

If Fantasia could sing a Gershwin classic, "Summertime", and rock it like it was written yesterday, picking a song from the 60s catalog should not have been that hard for this group of singers.

Again, I say, song selcetion will make or break an artist on American Idol. It is the reason Aloha did not make it to the final round.

Song Selection, Song Selection, Song Selection!! !

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-17-05, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TARugh Click to send private message to TARugh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 60's theme--Little Bang, Big whimper"
The 60's theme and the songs selected were sub-par at best. But this brought up something a little more important. The songs chosen by our "idols" makes me truly wonder something I consider important:

We are picking somebody to become the next American Idol. I don't think it would be right to pick somebody that doesn't know Music History. These songs of the 60's are the roots to the music today, and less than 1/2 of the contestants even turn an ear towards the era. Would we really pick a student for an award who hasn't done his/her homework?

What do I mean? Look at the reality show Lil' Kim is putting on. It came down to a boring white male rapper and a female rapper who thought she could "bring it." It took little for Lil' Kim to make her choice on who to keep and who to ditch. The female white rapper, simply put, didn't do her homework. She didn't know who Big Daddy Kane or Salt N Pepa were. History to the very music she claimed she was all about. She claimed to love Jay-Z, but couldn't quote any of his tunes. Verdict? You're outta here, honey.

Case in point, hearing all these singers say they are unfamiliar with the genre makes me wonder if any of them are even worthy of being known as the next American Idol. If they don't know the 60's music...then they are nothing more than watered down.

I can hear it now: "My inspiration comes from Britney Spears.."

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •