The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do you listen......"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-12-05, 01:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do you listen......"
to the judges comments?

Now that the top 12 has been estabished. I am sure alot of people have already picked a favorite contestant.

That being said. Do you really listen to or are you swayed by the judges comments after your favorite has performed?

ie.... Bo Bice is up. He sings, and..... he isn't as good as in previous weeks. The judges respond with...

Randy---- "Bo, Bo, Bo... How ya doing tonight Dawg? Man, that wasn't your best performance, you were a little pitchy in spots. It was just OK for me Man. I think you can do alot better. It was just OK."

Paula--- "Bo, you know I am a big fan of yours. Every week you have been great, but I have to agree with Randy, I have heard you sound better. I still think you are wonderful!"

Simon--- "Bo, If am being honest. I can hear that caliber of singing in any Karaoke bar, filled with 100 hundred drunk singers and they would all sound better than you did tonight!"

Next up.... Mikalah. She sings, and she is pretty good this week. The judges respond with...

Randy--- "Mikalah, Mikalah, Mikalah" Wow Dawg! That was awesome! Were did that come from man? You really brought it home tonight! Great song choice, that was your best performance so far in the competition."

Paula--- "You have such spunk, and you are soooo beautiful! That was just wonderful. I love the softness in your voice tonight. You were great. Keep up the good work, and thanks for listening to me when I said to have fun, because you sure did the week!"

Simon--- "Mikalah, other than looking like an under aged hooker. That was brillant! You may not win this competition, but based on that performance, I think you may be around a few more weeks."

So, what do you do? Your favorite is clearly Bo, but the judges didn't give him favorable feed back. You can't stand Mikalah, but the judges praised her performance. Do you still vote for Bo despite what Randy, Paula, and Simon said? Or do you vote for Mikalah, who in the words of the judges, had a better night?

Slice and Dice Shop 2004

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do you listen...... TeamJoisey 03-12-05 1
   RE: Do you listen...... callalilly3000 03-12-05 2
 RE: Do you listen...... strid333 03-12-05 3
 RE: Do you listen...... Wheezy 03-12-05 4
   Mikalah should take Paula's advice.... Ricky 03-13-05 8
 RE: Do you listen...... shedevil 03-12-05 5
 Not swayed DontGetMeStarted 03-12-05 6
   additional entertainment niteowl 03-12-05 7
 RE: Do you listen...... Sweety Tweety 03-13-05 9
 RE: Do you listen...... badger 03-13-05 10
 RE: Do you listen...... opinionated 03-13-05 11
 Why have judges in the first place? Cygnus X1 03-28-05 12
   RE: Why have judges in the first pl... ginger 03-28-05 13
 RE: Do you listen...... brvnkrz 03-28-05 14
 no, i don't listen sorgee 03-28-05 15
 RE: Do you listen...... seahorse 03-29-05 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-12-05, 01:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Do you listen......"

Good question.

If I felt strongly enough in this situation, I would vote repeatedly for Bo. I don't think someone should be eliminated based on one bad performance in a genre that puts them out of their element.

You didn't specify, but was this "Streisand Night?"

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-12-05, 01:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Do you listen......"
I don't think someone should be eliminated based on one bad performance in a genre that puts them out of their element.

You didn't specify, but was this "Streisand Night?"

You are so right. I didn't take the theme weeks into consideration when asking the above question.

To answer my own question. I would continue to vote for Bo.

Slice and Dice Shop 2004

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-12-05, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Do you listen......"
Well, the way I always voted for in Canadian Idol, was that if a certain performance blew me away, I would vote for the person. If the person were consistantly good, I would vote consistantly.

However, if there were a really, really bad performance (for example, singing the entire song out of key which Gary Beals, runner-up of CI1 did), I will never vote for the person. Why? Because if I'm paying $50 to see a concert, I want the guarantee that I will get my money's worth. I don't want the person to forget all the songs that were meant to be sung, and I don't want to have all the songs with wrong and sour notes.

Three is the perfect number.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-12-05, 02:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Do you listen......"

I would not vote for Mikalah under any circumstances.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-13-05, 06:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Mikalah should take Paula's advice..."
If I were Mikalah I would take Paula's advice from the end of the Top 12 results show. She told her to be goofy again. She's been too serious the last couple of weeks - not herself.

As Simon has said in the past, half of America hates Mikalah because she's goofy and annoying and half of America loves her because she's goofy and annoying.

Anyway you slice it though - half of America is alot of people. Especially when people can vote 2,3,or 20 times.

In the end, those of us that walk away winning, win more than just a loss - Audrey, Apprentice loser

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-12-05, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Do you listen......"
I listen to everything the judges say, I appreciate their opinions, but I don't let them tell me who to like or who to vote for. I would continue to vote for Bo, unless he stopped sounding good to me but it would have nothing to do with what the judges said. The judges will never convince me that Mikalah is talented.

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-12-05, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Not swayed"
at least not yet.

We sat around during Mikalah's preformance holding our ears and saying 'watch because we are hate this, and are assuming we are tone deaf, the judges will love this' and whalla that is what happened. I don't think I would ever vote for her based on what I've seen thus far. I'm in the I think she is spunky camp so I don't dislike her (hubby does).

I really like Bo, Nadia and Jessica... I liked Nikko also.
So far I have only voted for Bo.

I am actually getting really sick of Paula heaping on the praise to performances that are not so great. I can understand not wanting to hurt someone but she has (at times) crossed over to the land of giving people false hope, which I think is meaner than being blunt.

niteowl 199 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-12-05, 07:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail niteowl Click to send private message to niteowl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "additional entertainment"
I find that my cynicism this season (after naively watching previous seasons) has added a whole 'nother dimension of entertainment to the show. I only listen to the judges to catch them trying to manipulate the viewers....then I yell at the t.v. and spout conspiracy theories while my kids watch in amazement. "Whatever, ma, it's just a show!" My daughter only listens to the few singers she likes already and leaves the room for everything else.
Is it possible that the "American Idol" is being chosen by 40-something housewives re-living their youth? Where are Donny, David, and Bobby when you need them?! (think Donny would have made the top 12?)

Sweety Tweety 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-13-05, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sweety%20Tweety Click to send private message to Sweety%20Tweety Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Do you listen......"
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-05 AT 01:10 PM (EST)

So, what do you do? Your favorite is clearly Bo, but the judges didn't give him favorable feed back. You can't stand Mikalah, but the judges praised her performance. Do you still vote for Bo despite what Randy, Paula, and Simon said? Or do you vote for Mikalah, who in the words of the judges, had a better night?

There is no way I would vote for Mikalah! She is so inconsistant. Furthermore, if Bo had great performances up until that night, why would I think of changing my vote? Everyone has an off night, especially if it is a ridiculous theme night.

Let me make this point. In season two, I really wanted Clay to win. After about the third week, I realized that the judges had another idea of who they wanted to win. Meaning, Ruben.

Week after week, Simon would find a way to bash Clay's performance. He would grasp at straws, picking on his facial expressions, dancing, broadway, etc.

All I did was vote for Clay even more. I had the attitude of "Screw you Simon! Clay is my American Idol."

So, in way, I do listen to the comments of the judges. They do sway my vote. If they pick on my favorite, I vote for them over and over.

ETA: Spelling

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-13-05, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail badger Click to send private message to badger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Do you listen......"
i don't typically listen to the judges...

randy: sometimes he's good at recognizing singers who are out of tune. "you were a little pitchy tonight, dawg." but sometimes he really misses the boat, and i wonder how well he's actually hearing the performance "live."

paula: her comments are meaningless as she praises everyone.

simon: he knows "the business," but sometimes he is so fixated on a certain singer's success (or failure) that his criticisms are as meaningless as paula's praise.

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-13-05, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail opinionated Click to send private message to opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Do you listen......"
I pick who I like on my own, and vote for those people regardless of what the judges say.

The one exception is that I sometimes vote more times than usual for my favorites if the judges have given them bad reviews that week, because I don't want to see them eliminated.

The judges can tell me over and over again that Mikalah or Constantine, for example, are good...but I have ears and know who's a good singer and who's not. I'm not going to vote like some sheep following the herd.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-05, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Why have judges in the first place?"
Disclaimer: I'm one of the six Americans who doesn't watch this show, and I have no desire to start now.

If what Randy, Paula, and Simon say carry no real weight in the voting (or, apparently with Paula, carry no weight anytime), why even have them? Solely for entertainment? Or just to winnow the field in the beginning?

I chose to bump this thresd rather than start a new one.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-05, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Why have judges in the first place?"
I listen to Simon. But then, I usually agree with Simon.
Paula is uselessly complimentary so I completely disregard her.
Randy sometimes makes a pithy comment, but most of the time I sort of tune him out, too.

I am usually curious about overall cumulative judge reaction to a given performance because I sense the songs sound very different when you're in the soundstage as opposed to listening at home.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-05, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Do you listen......"
I am not swayed by the judges. At this point I have chosen my favorites and I would continue to vote for them until the end unless the started to progressively get worse week over week.

Yep, another Syren

sorgee 1455 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-28-05, 06:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sorgee Click to send private message to sorgee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "no, i don't listen"
simon is not completely in touch with american culture.

paula seems to be either drunk or stoned every episode.

randy, well, he's kinda of a has been.

nothing here to see folks. move along.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-05, 08:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Do you listen......"
I listen to their comments, but although they have an influence on occasion there is a backlash against their opinions.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •