The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-27-02, 01:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
Ever since Richard Hatch figured out how to beat the system, EPM has been obsessed with ensuring that he doesn't get outsmarted again. While his solution appears to be this constantly mucking with the rules and shuffling the tribes and the like to create tension and unpredictability in the program, his real (hidden) focus has been on ensuring that the contestants aren't smart enough to do what Hatch did.

The result is obvious. Each season finds contestants who just get dumber and dumber. And if you don't believe me, compare, say, Varner with Colby with Brandon with Zoe. This season EPM finally has a group of survivors who can't even manage get three or four folks who can make a decent long term alliance. AWhile I am sure his ego is soothed by never having to feel challenged by this crowd, they turn out to be just dreadfully boring human beings.

I bet if we went back and counted confessionals, the total number has dropped off considerably this season. And of that total Sean has a good proportion -- but he just kept saying the same thing over and over for the first half of the show. Even Kathy who seems to have 2 brain cells doesn't have much to say. And when we finally get a glimpse of say Zoe or Robert, aren't they fascinating?

Putting these players together in a group doesn't produce better results. What do we see then? Morning prayers. Pre-challenge prayers. Grace. Communal crying. Simple declarative sentences. Sean "bonding" with his Marquesian brothers and sisters. Yawn.

Burnett, get over it. Get us some contestants that might challenge your dominance. Stick your neck out. Fiddle with the rules all you want, but we need more -- God, I never thought I would hear myself say this -- like Varner and Hatch and Hawk.

<mopping my brow>

I feel better now. Thank you for your time.

60 Pixel Series, No. 2

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!! George Tirebiter 04-27-02 1
 Just Once! dabo 04-27-02 2
   RE: Just Once! samiam 04-27-02 4
       RE: Just Once! PsychoDoc 04-28-02 16
       RE: MB, pleas ave mercy on of of yo... Teddy_Bear 04-29-02 18
 RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!! JeffGator 04-27-02 3
   RE: I want an Autograph !!!! Teddy_Bear 04-27-02 5
   RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!! Swami 04-27-02 7
   RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!! JeffGator 04-27-02 10
       RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!! Teddy_Bear 04-27-02 12
       RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!! smiles 04-27-02 14
       RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!! Kokoro 04-28-02 15
 Are you guys fuked up?! BaconBurnout 04-27-02 6
   RE: Are you guys fuked up?! Swami 04-27-02 9
 Want Excitement? Big_Jim 04-27-02 8
   RE: Want Excitement? Teddy_Bear 04-27-02 11
 RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!! aymelek 04-27-02 13
 MB's books Fast Eddie 04-29-02 17
   RE: MB--the Ratings Whore ('s books... Teddy_Bear 04-29-02 19
       RE: MB--the Ratings Whore ('s books... Fast Eddie 04-29-02 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-27-02, 01:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
Yeah. What she said.

GT

Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. -Frank Zappa

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-02, 02:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Just Once!"
Just Once! Ultimately, Survivor is a game of cut-throat, of do what it takes to win. Just once it would be GREAT if MB threw 16 players into it from the start who understood that. Honestly, it would still make for great TV, but what a great game it would make as well. No need for twists, just play it straight for once. It really would be the most unpredictable, most exciting Survivor ever, the hype would be honest. No more Gabes! who don't want to play! No more Zoe's or Gretchens! We want the real thing! We want 16 determined bastards with no pretentions of morality or ethics or whatnot to really play on each other for six weeks, may the best bastard win.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-02, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Just Once!"
I totally agree, dabo. What he needs to find are people who are there to play the game. Not folks who are there to kick-start an acting/modeling/commentating career. Not folks who are there "for the experience." Not folks who already have agents lined up before they *apply* for this horrible show. Not folks, by god, who are there to show off their assets for Playboy.

Come on, Burnett. Stop typecasting and creating your own little sociology experiment. You are not God. You are not the ultimate chessmaster (who, we all know, is Michael from Love Cruise ). Give us interesting people to watch and listen to, and we'll keep watching. Keep up your current casting methods, and pretty soon even the spoilers and bashers won't be able to sedate themselves enough to watch this claptrap.

Oh, wait....maybe that's what he's TRYING to do. Never mind.

"You are a fluke of the Universe. You have no right to be here. And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back." - Tony Hendra, Deteriorata

PsychoDoc 95 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-28-02, 11:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PsychoDoc Click to send private message to PsychoDoc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Just Once!"
I agree with Dabo, Technoir and stuff from Nightscribe's post.

>Come on, Burnett. Stop typecasting
>and creating your own little
>sociology experiment. You are
>not God.

I think that you might be on to something here, Simiam. I guess this is as close as he'll get to playing God.

It would probably make an interesting show, but don't think that Burn-it would be able to relinquish his control(His war against spoilers is a testament to that), and risk his ratings. Remember, the general public still dig this formula. As I was reminded recently by a wise poster, we are just a minority. I like to think that we, being more discerning and probably more intellectual when it comes to analysing this show, we also tend to expect more.

Teddy_Bear 1675 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

04-29-02, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Teddy_Bear Click to send private message to Teddy_Bear Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: MB, pleas ave mercy on of of your many hapless disciples"
>Come on, Burnett. Stop typecasting
>and creating your own little
>sociology experiment.

>You are
>not God. You are
>not the ultimate chessmaster.

He isn't ? Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sean (singing): It's a brand new day.
Miranda (in Shakespeares'. "The Tempest): What a wonderful new world, with all sorts of people in it.

Eleanor Roosevelt: No one can make you
feel inferior without your consent.
http://www.amnesty.org/

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-27-02, 03:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
Right on! I couldn't agree more with what Technoir and dabo said. I'd also like to say that the confessionals have gotten less and less interesting each season. One thing that keeps me watching the show are humorous or otherwise interesting confessionals. As much as I hate Rob, I guess he did have a couple interesting ones but not a lot. I thought Survivor 3 was drastically worse than the first two, and S4 is the worst yet in that regard. I don't think there are contestants anywhere as funny as in the first two. I know Sean is supposed to be the funny man of S4, and I know he's said a couple humorous things, but overall I think that's pretty pitiful if he's the funniest one of this series.

I don't care whether or not you liked him, my man Colby had some great confessionals--

That went over like a pickle in a punch bowl.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

I may be a lot of things, but I ain’t no Hershey Bar.

I'm certainly not gonna just sit around and wait to be picked off by Kucha once we merge. That's not happenin' with this kid.

Rodger, I'm real sorry, bro. I didn't even bring a skirt with me, so I can't do anything for ya.

I was lyin' to Jerri. I didn't lose sleep over it.

The guy couldn't fish a rubber ducky out of a bathtub. (referring to Kel's fishing abilities)

Keith probably has the upper hand on the whole grasshopper wrangling. I've yet to figure out his method, but I may have to go to the master so he can teach young 'grasshoppuh' how to wrangle 'grasshoppuhs'.

Take care of that, please (handing over his Texas flag).

The guy's a bozo. My game with Keith is done. It's over.

I may have to stop and use the bathroom four times on the way back to camp, and it doesn't matter.

If you think the odds are against you, then change the odds, If you think you don’t have a chance, then change your thinking.

And he hasn't been the only one--Survivor 1's Sean said many hilarious things, as did Greg, Jeff Varner (I hated him but i gotta give him props) and many other contestants from the first 2 seasons. I can't remember what Jerri's confessionals were like, but I remember how she played the game, and while i hated her with a passion, she was one of the most interesting characters of all time. And then there was Rudy's confessionals which were sooooo funny. And Richard Hatch's confessionals were pretty interesing as well.

I think this casting department needs to stop picking people at random. I swear that they're doing it by lottery! When they interview contestants, I think the most important thing they need to look for is a sense of humor. There's a new show that's going to be on cable in the fall called Exiled, that's a cross between Survivor and Blair Witch Project, and they've narrowed it down from 4,000 contestants to only 30 of which I am one of them. I have to go to Savannah, Georgia next week for the last round of interviews to see if I make the final 12 people, but anyway, the producer told me that the reason I'm in the top 30 is because of my sense of humor. I told a lot of jokes on camera during the first interview, and I think the Survivor staff needs to look for more people who are funny instead of drawing straws or rolling dice to see who is picked. PICK ME MARK BURNETT! I SWEAR I WOULD MAKE THE SHOW MORE INTERESTING! lol--i still have 1 year, 4 months, and 4 days before I am old enough to apply Am I an obsessed fan or what?

Richard Hatch/Tina Wesson/Ethan Zohn/Kathy O'Brien
"There's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad...and there it goes."--Bobby Hill
--Pappy's getting a little happy

04-27-02, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Teddy_Bear Click to send private message to Teddy_Bear Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: I want an Autograph !!!!"
Wow, Congratulations Jeff! I'm simply in awe .

Would it be okay, if I said I knew you when . . . .

But SEEERRIOUSLY, Please let your #1 fan , know if you get accepted. BTW, which Cable station will "Exiled," be on? I live in Canada; I want to know if I can get it out here.

Good Luck Jeff, I hope you make it; although, I will miss you, terribly.

Peter: Me and Sean, we're sitting here just chillin'.

Eleanor Roosevelt: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-02, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
I couldn't agree more, Jeff. And btw, conga-rats on...

they've narrowed it down from 4,000 contestants to only 30 of which I am one of them. I have to go to Savannah, Georgia next week for the last round of interviews to see if I make the final 12 people

*sniff* I still remember your first post on SB, and now you're all growed up and ready to be a media-whore yourself. We're so proud. If I watch that show, I will pick out whoever I think is you and bash them without kindness or mercy. That way you will know I love you. *blows Jeff a kiss*

Swami

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-27-02, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
*sniff*, i'm too choked up right now to say anything.
Ok, now that I've blown my nose, I'd like to say thank you to Teddy and to Swami--thank you guys for making me feel so at home here. You two gals are the best and i really mean that!

I know this sounds bad, but I don't know what cable station it's going to be on (I don't even have cable right now), I don't think it's going to be a huge deal or anything. The winner only gets $3,500 (not $1,000,000) and it only lasts 2 weeks as opposed to 39 days. It's only 10 episodes long. And I haven't even made the show yet, but it is an honor to be in the top 30 of 4,000 and I'll keep you guys up to date if I make the show. I do have a 12 in 30 chance so that's pretty good. I go to Savannah, Georgia on May 19 but they won't tell me if I've made it until 2 weeks before filming (which starts on July 14). It's actually for Exiled 2, not Exile 1, apparently Exile 1 is supposed to premier this summer and 2 will be in the fall.

here's the link to the Exiled webpage if you want to see what it's about-- http://www.zilo.com/shows/ex/
It seems very amateurish compared to our wonderful survivor, but it might be the next best thing for me, for now. And I could definitely use the $3,500 to buy some jewelry and other presents for Teddy and Swami, hehe.
Lots of love,
jeff

Richard Hatch/Tina Wesson/Ethan Zohn/Kathy O'Brien
"There's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad...and there it goes."--Bobby Hill
--Pappy's getting a little happy

04-27-02, 03:39 PM (EST)
12. "RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
Well Jeff,
I'm really a simple girl at heart .

Teddy (in a husky voice):
I believe, you were expecting . . . this post . . . grrr.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto; I luvd your heart
{blush, blush} (I bookmarked the link).

Gabe: I will do whatever I can to assauge your concerns.

smiles 675 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-27-02, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smiles Click to send private message to smiles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
You are going to miss the final episode of Survivor?? And more importantly my birthday????

Seriously, good luck! I'll watch (if you get picked that is-j/k you will)!

smiles

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-28-02, 03:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
I found this article - basically the show goes out to campuses all over the US....still a lot of people, but most of us probably won't get to see it

----------------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

Stop Discrimination Now

BaconBurnout 11 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-27-02, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BaconBurnout Click to send private message to BaconBurnout Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Are you guys fuked up?!"
Come on, think about this for a second.

If you get a group of 16 that ALL want to play the game, and there are NO switches, then what are we gonna get?

I'll tell ya. We are gonna get a group of 5 people picking off another group of 4 one by one. Since when is that interesting? We need stupid wishy washy people out there, or else it's gonna be nothing but predictable.

Why the hell would I watch when I know exactly who's gonna be voted off? dabo's idea of playing it straight, with all due respect to dabo, is STUPID! I personally don't wanna see five asshole like people pick off another four asshole like people one by one. In this season, we got to see a power shift. Tell me that wasn't cool.

Come on, can you honestly tell me that you would have found it interesting if John and his dimwitted cronies picked everyone off one by one?

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-02, 02:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Are you guys fuked up?!"
We are gonna get a group of 5 people picking off another group of 4 one by one. Since when is that interesting? We need stupid wishy washy people out there, or else it's gonna be nothing but predictable.

Why the hell would I watch when I know exactly who's gonna be voted off? dabo's idea of playing it straight, with all due respect to dabo, is STUPID! I personally don't wanna see five asshole like people pick off another four asshole like people one by one.

You're kidding, right? Sixteen smart people who know how to play the game would create a funfest of secret alliances, smart alliance switches, and sudden, delightful back-stabbings. What fun! They might even have interesting confessionals--not the self-serving I am so honest and full of integrity clap-trap we are getting now. And some might have a great sense of humor!

It would be, IMO, like comparing a meeting of the Ladies Garden Club (with its cliques & petty ostrasizing) to an illegal, back room big City Council meeting (where some of the nastiest stuff I know goes down.)

In this season, we got to see a power shift. Tell me that wasn't cool.

And the Survivors were so stupid that MB had to rub their noses in it via his clever IC before they caught a clue.

Come on, can you honestly tell me that you would have found it interesting if John and his dimwitted cronies picked everyone off one by one?

Hello? Smart people would notice they were targets, not lay down to get picked off. They would do something interesting!

Swami

Big_Jim 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-27-02, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Big_Jim Click to send private message to Big_Jim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Want Excitement?"
Here is a recipe for sixteen survivors that would guarantee some interesting episodes.

Each tribe would consist of:

1) one Belfast Catholic
2) one Belfast Protestant
3) one Christian Serb
4) one Muslim Albanian
5) one Israeli soldier
6) one Palestinian Islamic Gihad
7) one Armenian
8) one Turk

The supplies would consist of a big bathtub full of huumus.

It wouldn't matter how smart they were or how well they played the game. Hilarity would almost certainly ensue.

04-27-02, 03:19 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Want Excitement?"
Oh Big Jim, you little ! Tsk tsk, naughty, naughty .

See, I told ya, you'd be right at home here .

Neleh (to Pashal): We've come way too far, to go out like this.

aymelek 1220 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-27-02, 08:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aymelek Click to send private message to aymelek Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: NO MORE STUPID CONTESTANTS !!!!"
Wow, Tech! Well said! I really hope the evil eyes of Mark Burnit et al. see this & get a clue. His casting directors really need to be fired. Mostly these Survivor freaks are actor-wannabes who just want to get their face on tv no matter what. It sucks. BOOOOORrrrriiiiing!

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-02, 09:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "MB's books"
You get interesting insights if you read them. The first was written entirely during the filming of S1, almost as a diary. It starts out with a paragraph predicting that Hatch would be the first voted out. By the end, the tune has changed entirely and you can see MB's admiration for how Rich played. In the second, written before S2, MB calls Rich a "master strategist". Later, he outlines 20 strategies and their pros and cons. He predicts that another Rich wouldn't win again, because everyone would see it coming now and get rid of him before he established too much power.

But the real discouraging thing in the second book was right at the end, where he tells people not to take the show too seriously, as it's just entertainment. It's obvious then that he has no intent of establishing a real, honest game with good players. He will get contestants and manipulate in order to provide entertainment to the masses. That's his right, and no doubt his mandate, but disappointing to gamers, and a sure sign that the players are more likely to be less skillful, rather than more.

04-29-02, 09:33 AM (EST)
19. "RE: MB--the Ratings Whore ('s books)"
{Sigh ) Unfortuatly your right, Fast Eddie.

Burn-it could care less about casting contestants for the sole porpse of creating a geat game show.

EPMB is simply a ratings whore
--Did ya really expect any more from this self-serving megelomaniac?

Sean (singing): It's a Brand New Day.
Miranda (from "The Tempest"): What a wonderful world with such people in it.

Eleanor Roosevelt: No one can make you
feel inferior without your consent.
http://www.amnesty.org/

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-02, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: MB--the Ratings Whore ('s books)"
>Burn-it could care less about casting
>contestants for the sole porpse
>of creating a geat game
>show.
>
>EPMB is simply a ratings whore

I'm very disappointed because I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Other game shows usually go for the best players. Can you imagine Jeopardy if they had contestants who knew nothing and came on the show merely because they liked the experience of pushing the buzzer? The Superbowl with players who just wanted the free trip to New Orleans? Millionaire with people who walked away with $100 or $200 because they didn't want to risk it?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •