The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Crash Test Dummies"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-30-05, 02:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Crash Test Dummies"
Now that we are down to a few teams it is more and more noticeable that some contestants are often not wearing seatbelts. The preview clip from last night shows Rolly scrambling for his seatbelt when their car is pulled over. The Weavers are often shown not wearing seatbelts (not to turn this into another Weaver bashing thread but what kind of Mother would let her kids drive without seatbelts? I’m sure God is your co-pilot but he still expects you to use common sense!). The Linzes sometimes are shown without theirs as well. The Bransens always seem to have theirs on. I don’t know about the Godlewskis because I’m usually trying to stop the bleeding from my ears when they are on screen.

So I have two questions:

1) How could TAR not have a rule about mandatory seatbelt use after they’ve had one car flip and another come within inches of rolling (Chip & Reichen)? You’d think if they would go to the trouble of stating that you must “yield for exiting vehicles” at the dude ranch that stating “you must wear your seatbelts” would be a no-brainer. Every task they have to complete seems to have so many built in safety elements that driving is apparenlty the most dangerous thing they do, so why no rule?

2) If contestants have to obey local laws why isn’t there a penalty for violating seatbelt laws (assuming that the states they’ve been in have such a law – I think that most, if not all, states do)? I guess if TAR isn’t going to penalize someone for assaulting their wife, or pelting another car with garbage while driving on the highway, they probably won’t penalize a team for breaking seatbelt laws.

Just my two cents…

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Crash Test Dummies Earl Colby Pottinger 11-30-05 1
 RE: Crash Test Dummies Lisa0116 12-01-05 2
   RE: Crash Test Dummies Earl Colby Pottinger 12-03-05 12
 RE: Crash Test Dummies Estee 12-01-05 3
   RE: Crash Test Dummies Lisa0116 12-01-05 4
       RE: Crash Test Dummies Snidget 12-01-05 5
       RE: Crash Test Dummies quiller 12-01-05 11
 RE: Crash Test Dummies Peetah 12-01-05 6
   RE: Crash Test Dummies mysticwolf 12-01-05 10
 RE: Crash Test Dummies strid333 12-01-05 7
   RE: Crash Test Dummies Judd 12-01-05 8
       RE: Crash Test Dummies strid333 12-01-05 9
 RE: Crash Test Dummies tvgeek401 12-05-05 13
   RE: Crash Test Dummies okaychatt 12-05-05 14
 RE: Crash Test Dummies cbatta2025 12-07-05 15
   RE: Crash Test Dummies EmoEmoEmo 12-07-05 16
   RE: Crash Test Dummies bigrock 12-07-05 17
 RE: Crash Test Dummies dabo 12-07-05 18
   RE: Crash Test Dummies jolathe 12-12-05 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-30-05, 05:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
This is very annoying to me.

Due to seeing too many HollyWood movies/shows where the hero is doing all sorts of stunts without seatbelts and not losing control like they would in real-life I hear all sorts of excuses from people riding in the same car as me for not wearing one.

It has got to the point that I once had to tell my own boss's father that I was not moving the car until he belted himself in.

In real-life the people doing the stunts use 5 point harnesses for even the simplest stunt.

Dis-engaging the belt just as you turn into the driveway I understand, not wearing a belt once you are on a major highway is just plain dumb. A number of times I have heard of people thrown from a car in an accident only to land into the middle of traffic and get run over. Meanwhile the person in the car wearing a belt goes to hospital, injuried but alive.

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-01-05, 10:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisa0116 Click to send private message to Lisa0116 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
I agree. I was never a seat belt user (I had a friend in high school die because he WAS wearing a seat belt-rare, but it happens). I do wear my seat belt now. I obey the law and the law says wear your seatbelt. I also think that the front and side airbags in my vehicle wouldn't do me any good if I weren't wearing it. Just my opinion.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-03-05, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
It is my understanding.

1) SeltBelts only. Good! But often cause injury if slack, rarely kills but odds are better with a belt than without.

Note, lapbelts only often causes spinal injuries that don't happen is you are wearing a shoulder strap. Stunt people use 5 point harnesses that let then roll a car or run into a wall and recieve only minor injuries (sport cars drive faster - even 5 point may not be enough).

2) AirBag only. Good! Must be matched to wieght. Deadly to babies! Many air bag now have diffirent setting based on size of person. Lots of injurys have occured from air bags, most because of mismatch - so because air bag expand so fast.

3) AirBag and Seat belts. Excellent! The two work together for best protection. If you got it use it.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-01-05, 11:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
1. Because a fatal accident would create some really high ratings.

2. 'It's not stealing if you don't get caught'. With the seat belt laws, you usually have to be pulled over for another offense and caught with your strap down -- it's hardly ever the seat belt and nothing else. Beyond that, it would still be really high ratings...

Oh, and great thread title.

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-01-05, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisa0116 Click to send private message to Lisa0116 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
>1. Because a fatal accident
>would create some really high
>ratings.
>
>2. 'It's not stealing if
>you don't get caught'.
>With the seat belt laws,
>you usually have to be
>pulled over for another offense
>and caught with your strap
>down -- it's hardly ever
>the seat belt and nothing
>else. Beyond that, it
>would still be really high
>ratings...
>
>Oh, and great thread title.
>

Where I live, they can and do pull you over JUST FOR THE SEATBELT VIOLATION. You don't have to break any other laws to lose $75 for not wearing your belt.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-05, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
Some states are going to you can be pulled over just for seat belt violations, but a lot of states are still in only when pulled over for something else mode. This article doesn't list many of them but it's about 1/2 the states that have primary seat belt laws where they can pull you over if the only thing they see wrong is lack of belt.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-13-truckers-seatbelts_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

2005 Holiday Sig Shop. I've been Nutzed!

quiller 268 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-01-05, 06:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail quiller Click to send private message to quiller Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
here, too, they often have Stop Checks for seatbelts. As a nurse, I can tell you that far more people are seriously injured killed who are not wearing seatbelts. It is just stupid not to wear them.

cause this is what I do when I am NOT watching SO or posting on this board.

Peetah 334 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-01-05, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Peetah Click to send private message to Peetah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
As far as the Bransens go, it's the law to wear the seatbelt in Illinois for the past 20 years. Once you're in the habit, you feel weird not wearing the belt.

What is the law in Florida and Ohio?

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-05, 06:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
In Ohio the driver & front seat passengers are required to wear a seatbelt. If the driver is under 18, all passeners must be belted, regardless of occupancy position. But, it is a secondary offense and a car may only be stopped for a different reason. Children under age 4 or less than 40 pounds must be in belted, approved, car seats. This is a primary offense & a car may be stopped solely for this reason.

In Florida, anyone, including the driver, under age 18, must wear a seat belt (or be in a belted, approved, car seat). It became a primary offense on July 1, 2005. For those over the age of 18, it remains a secondary offense, but I'm not sure if it applies only to front seat passeners, as in Ohio, or to all occupants of the vehicle.

A Tribephyl Winter Wonder

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-01-05, 04:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
Not only the lack of seatbelts, but watching the driver sit with their non-accelerator/brake leg on the seat or hanging out of the window is crazy. I know that the vehicle isn't a standard, and you may not need that other leg but really, if you get into an accident and the airbag goes off, you can get seriously injured. Another thing is that you aren't in a state of readiness, should you need to brake quickly.

Three is the perfect number.

Judd 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

12-01-05, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Judd Click to send private message to Judd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
i've seen that the most from the weaver girl, but also from one of the linz brothers right? (but only once from him)

you're correct, they could get seriously hurt, maybe even losing that leg because it gets crushed into the steering column or the dash.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-05, 06:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
I think you are right that it's the Weavers and one of the Linz's.

Three is the perfect number.

tvgeek401 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

12-05-05, 08:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tvgeek401 Click to send private message to tvgeek401 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"

Yep, gotta love those Crash Test Dummies.

We weren't allowed to drive anywhere without seatbelts. I had some relatives who did a seatbelt checklist where they went through all the kids and each one said buckled.

Maybe being potential millionaires makes you above the law. Maybe they all have death wishes. Maybe they weren't taught about safety (hey...mama weaver can't even teach them about the great lakes).

my very own paint disaster!
mmm mmm mmm mmm...

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings

12-05-05, 11:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
<hey...mama weaver can't even teach them about the great lakes

Mama Weaver can't even teach them common courtesy.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

cbatta2025 12 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-05, 00:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cbatta2025 Click to send private message to cbatta2025 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
Boo-Hoo everyone, seat belts - despite the laws - is your own personal decision this goes for motorcycle helmet laws too. You guys should all get together and show each other your boy and girl scout badges.

EmoEmoEmo 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-07-05, 00:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EmoEmoEmo Click to send private message to EmoEmoEmo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
Traveling through South Dakota the week before Sturgis led to a game that kept us all entertained - Survivors and Donors. I'll let you guess how we decided which cyclists went into each category.

Trying that with seatbelts would be just too hard.

bigrock 127 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-07-05, 00:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bigrock Click to send private message to bigrock Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
I got one for fire,basket weaving and first aid.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-05, 00:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
Lugging those trailers around they probably should be observing the lower speed limits not the upper speed limits. Great way to run a race, I'm sure.

Personally, I would hope all their vehicles have been rigged with governors so that they can't exceed a certain speed anyway.

jolathe 15 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-05, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jolathe Click to send private message to jolathe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Crash Test Dummies"
Just wanted to add my usual arguement for wearing seatbelts. My sister was tragically killed in a car wreck on 2/14/2001. Since she was working, driving from one patient to another, workmans compensation paid her surviving heirs, 2 young daughters, an additional $25,000 each because she was wearing a seatbelt. So even if you are not doing it for yourself, do it for your kids. The $25K will pay for quite a bit of college when the time comes.

And since I'm here, I'll add that the Weavers being in the top three is just further proof how watered down this season was. Those people are dumber than a box of rocks. I can't wait for another real season to start.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •