The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

ELCinOhio 215 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-24-02, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ELCinOhio Click to send private message to ELCinOhio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"
My Wife and I were debating the advantage/disavantage of taking the connecting flight in Germany.

She was all for it as you got the Portugal 25 Minutes quicker,

I however thought it was a bad idea because you had 2 chances for flight delays, unknown weather in Germany, having to make a connection, etc, etc, etc.

For the 25 Minutes I would have rather had the guaranteed direct flight, no layovers.

Just wondering everyone elses thoughts?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Dumb Move VA Slim 10-24-02 1
 RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move? TeamJoisey 10-24-02 2
 Dumb Move FesterFan1 10-24-02 3
 RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move? mocha madness 10-24-02 4
   RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move? managerr 10-24-02 5
       RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move? Cole 10-24-02 6
 RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move? SeaVisionBurma 10-27-02 7
   RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move? VA Slim 10-27-02 8
       RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move? raakesh 10-28-02 9
           detour raakesh 10-29-02 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

VA Slim 450 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-24-02, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VA%20Slim Click to send private message to VA%20Slim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Dumb Move"
BIG GAMBLE! Even on domestic flights, how many times have you been dropped off at one gate only to find that your connection is clear on the other side of the airport? Now combine that with international connections - even if on the same airline. It could have paid off "big time" if there hadn't been the second bunching opportunity waiting for the train. But it could have been a HUGE problem if they were not allowed to board that second flight. I mean, how popular is the Cologne to Porto run? Daily? I vote DUMB MOVE but with luck it paid off.

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-24-02, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"

I'm with you on this one. The chance of a missed connection was not worth 25 minutes when you know everyone is bunched up at this point. When you are all in the airport, you are all tied for first place. Choose to stick with the pack, and use the in-country travel, the detour and the roadblock to establish your position.

I was amazed that they chose to cut it so close, particularly after what had just happened to Dennis and Andrew in Mexico.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-24-02, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Dumb Move"
Definitely a dumb move. They were incredibly lucky to catch that connector, and it gained them absolutely nothing. 25 minutes that early in a stage is negligible compared to the risk of losing several hours by missing their flight.

I'm all for getting a competitive edge, but the risk far outweighed the reward this time.

Fester

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-24-02, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"
I vote "dumb". After just flying internationally the chance(s) that trying to make a tight connection can go bad is very high. I would not have considered this move unless both legs of the flight were on the same carrier. The question I have is what is the best way to deal with a recalcitrant airline agent.....begging for mercy or making a stink? It looks like begging for mercy wins out this time. The Harvard Legally Dumb Blonde Duo would have probably argued that under the Geneva Convention they had a legal right to have the plane held until they arrive.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-24-02, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"
Definitely dumb! Also, if you are running late on a connecting flight, you tell them to hold the plane from before you deboard the previous plane you are on. The stewardesses will usually do that for you.

Derek and Drew were lucky they had that charm thing going for them, I bet their natural likability helped out a lot.

Cole 409 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-02, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cole Click to send private message to Cole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"
I agree that it was a dumb move. Connecting flights are always risky. In retrospect, everyone got bunched up again, so they lost all the time they gained. But I think in addition to trying to get ahead, part of it was motivated by them wanting to get away from everyone else who seems to hate "all the brothers" so much.

SeaVisionBurma 39 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-27-02, 07:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SeaVisionBurma Click to send private message to SeaVisionBurma Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"
Dumb Move - pretty much goes without saying, however one angle that hasn't been touched on...what if they didn't make the connection? What were the consequences??

If they had missed the flight, at least it was TWO teams that were in the same predicament.
It would then have come down to a Twins vs Gerkhin on the remainder of the leg. Only ONE of them would have come last. In that case, if they stayed together right through to the soccer game - it would then have been the fittest, fastest team to stay in.

I wonder if this was in their minds when they chose the Cologne route? That 'if this fails, its a 2-team race for this leg'??

Food for thought....

VA Slim 450 desperate attention whore postings

10-27-02, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VA%20Slim Click to send private message to VA%20Slim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"
Good point. If you're gonna take a "flyer", do it with someone else. You can always race them at the end.

It's difficult to compare air schedules as if you are flying now with what was available back in August. But this is what I found out:

Air From Aberdeen to Heathrow leaves 6:45 arrives 8:20. A key point is that domestic flights go in and out of Terminal 4 at Heathrow, which is almost on the opposite side of the airport from the Terminal 1,2,3 complex which handles Int'l flights. This adds at least a 1/2 hour to normal connection times. The first direct flight to Porto leaves at 1:40 arriving at 3:45. If you were flying today, you couldn't make the connection that the Twins and Bros made. There is a direct flight on Lufthansa to Cologne/Bonn departing at 9:55 and arriving 12:05 but the flight to Porto from Cologne/Bonn leaves at 11:45 arriving 3:25 WITH A CONNECTION THROUGH FRANKFURT (!!!!!). Another stop, if the same connections (but with enough time - barely - to connect) available in August makes this choice even a DUMBER move! You must really not want to spend time with the other teams to want to gamble on this flight for a 20 minute head start!

raakesh 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-28-02, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail raakesh Click to send private message to raakesh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Dumb Move? or Smart Move?"
>Air From Aberdeen to Heathrow leaves
>6:45 arrives 8:20. The
>first direct flight to Porto
>leaves at 1:40 arriving at
>3:45. If you were flying
>today, you couldn't make the
>connection that the Twins and
>Bros made. There is a
>direct flight on Lufthansa to
>Cologne/Bonn departing at 9:55 and
>arriving 12:05 but the flight
>to Porto from Cologne/Bonn leaves
>at 11:45 arriving 3:25 WITH
>A CONNECTION THROUGH FRANKFURT (!!!!!).
>Another stop, if the same
>connections (but with enough time
>- barely - to connect)
>available in August makes this
>choice even a DUMBER move!
>You must really not want
>to spend time with the
>other teams to want to
>gamble on this flight for
>a 20 minute head start!
>

As seen in programme all 7 teams left before A/D & T/I leaving the pitstop,so it understood that they have left before 5.30 AM. They arived in Heathrow after A/D & T/I leaving Aberdeen that means they have connected in Manchester/ Glasgow/ Edinburgh.There is BA flight from Heathrow to Cologne at 10.50 AM & arriving in Cologne at 1.05 PM .There is Cologne to Porto Non-stop Flight offered by Portugalia. I am not sure with the timings.

raakesh 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-29-02, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail raakesh Click to send private message to raakesh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "detour"
I guess we better put as a Detour.
IN DUMB MOVE: Here, teams must first travel to Cologne & then have to connect a flight leaving for Porto. This task gets to their destination earlier than who chooses the smart move. Although there is a chance of missing the connecting flight.
IN SMART MOVE : Here, the teams have lot of time & have confirmed flight.But they will be arriving later than who chooses the Dumb move.

Let's give Phil a new Detour.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •