The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What is this season lacking?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-19-05, 08:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What is this season lacking?"
I don't want this to be merely another "This season SUCKS!" thread, but I felt it safer to start this on Bashers anyway.

What, specifically, is this season lacking compared to TARs past? Let's analyze it and put our fingers on it. (And that's NOT code for anything.)

One thing that came to my mind; there has been nowhere near the interaction with locals that you find when the teams are overseas. From the gleeful kids of Ethiopia, to the hordes of gawkers in India, to the goofy gypsy band in Hungary, to the simplicity of the bushmen in Botswana . . . those people help make the show what it is.

It's almost as if the families are running this race in a vacuum.

Your observations? Or do you think this Race is lacking nothing?

"Cygnus needs no defending - his position is undefendable." --Google

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What is this season lacking? byoffer 10-19-05 1
   RE: What is this season lacking? Earl Colby Pottinger 10-26-05 13
 RE: What is this season lacking? Rhyn 10-19-05 2
   RE: What is this season lacking? Earl Colby Pottinger 10-26-05 14
       RE: What is this season lacking? dabo 10-26-05 16
 RE: What is this season lacking? PagongRatEater 10-20-05 3
   RE: What is this season lacking? bystander 10-24-05 12
   RE: What is this season lacking? Earl Colby Pottinger 10-26-05 15
 RE: What is this season lacking? mysticwolf 10-20-05 4
   RE: What is this season lacking? Cygnus X1 10-20-05 5
 RE: What is this season lacking? dabo 10-20-05 6
 RE: What is this season lacking? Max Headroom 10-20-05 7
   RE: What is this season lacking? cahaya 10-21-05 10
 RE: What is this season lacking? CouchTater 10-20-05 8
   RE: What is this season lacking? noliferealityfan 10-21-05 9
       RE: What is this season lacking? escapedude 10-23-05 11
   RE: What is this season lacking? Earl Colby Pottinger 10-26-05 17
 RE: What is this season lacking? redbaronii 10-26-05 18
   RE: What is this season lacking? indy42 10-27-05 19
 RE: What is this season lacking? Tahj 10-27-05 20
   RE: What is this season lacking? notamonster 10-27-05 21
 RE: What is this season lacking? zipperhead 11-30-05 22
   RE: What is this season lacking? slw1 11-30-05 23
 RE: What is this season lacking? rock321 12-01-05 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-05, 11:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
This season is lacking places where the racers don't speak the language. Like India, Russia or Boston. Then they can show their adaptability skills - by YELLING REALLY LOUD IN ENGLISH at people who don't speak English.

Another thing that is missing is any opportunity to pick the first take-off flight vs the first landing flight. Having two buses take 8 teams to a location pretty much guarantees they will arrive in two groups.

This season hasn't made the racers make any choices about how to get to a location (i.e. mode of transit). It seems in the past they have had to decide when and how to spend their money on taxis, buses, etc.

And I seem to recall the last episode having at least one occassion when it was lacking a certain amount of butt-covering!!

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

10-26-05, 00:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
First, having the racers drive themselves still seems better to me, we do see them make very bad/good choices while doing so.

Second, speaking the local lanuage has nothing to do with it. For some strange reason this season's players avoid asking people who are local to the area questions - worse when they do ask they reject the answers given to them. It is almost like they think that since they are Americans they do not need to ask other Americans directions because all Americans know America

Ofcourse the fact that someone living in an area for all thier life may know more than them about local locations/conditions goes right over thier head.

Rhyn 524 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-19-05, 11:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rhyn Click to send private message to Rhyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
I miss the interaction with locals, too, but didn't realize that until you said so. I remember everyone up in arms over "OHMYGOD, WE NEED A ROB RULE so no one will use locals" and I have to say, without it, it's much less exciting and fun and unpredictable. Vacuum, indeed.

I will tell you what this season is NOT missing, and that's bungee challenges.

My favorite simple challenges are shopping in a foreign market (so far, missing here) and "hunt for a departure time" challenges (because one or more idiot teams will make a stupid, rash decision that will cost them the game). For more elaborate challenges, I like things with local flair, and this season, so far, seems to have that.

All in all, I don't think it's necessarily "missing" anything, because it's an entirely different show with entirely different dynamics than regular seasons. I think I prefer a two-person team set up, though, because I really do love the international flavor this show usually has.

10-26-05, 00:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
Come on, the Italian Bungee jumping was fun!

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-26-05, 01:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
I have to agree, Mama P. and Scairdy-boy were hysterical at the bungee jump.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-05, 00:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
Finding clues is a simple matter of geography 90% of the time, taking a lot of the challenge out of the race. There are very few roadblocks and the tasks are relatively easy most of the time (climb the ladder to the top of the world largest office chair?). With no air travel there has been less opportunity to string the teams out and they have rarely gotten more than a 1 hour apart.

Interaction with locals IS lacking, but it could actually be there and be pretty interesting and broadening even without leaving the US. America is so diverse - geographically, culturally, etc. - that you could have somewhat duplicated that aspect of the race.

I think it just got too dumbed down and it's not making for compelling TV. I wouldn't go as far as saying it "sucks" but the family addition has really been less competetive than it could have been.

I already know you don't, but I REALLY want to believe you look like the Pringles guy. J Slice

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

10-24-05, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
With no air travel there has been less opportunity to string the teams out and they have rarely gotten more than a 1 hour apart.

I always thought the air travel kept all the teams closer together. If the choice is wait for an airplane for 2 hours or continue driving (car, not bus) then I think the teams can spread out more. Waiting for the plane always allowed other teams to bunch up.

10-26-05, 01:00 AM (EST)
15. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
You are right on the challenges. When they went to the Shoe House I expected them to have to do something with shoes like cobble on X number of heels or even a simple shoe shining but up to the standards of some inspector.

Same with the giant chair - I expected them to have to assembly a small chair to finish. I would even settle of laying out X number of those evil beach folding chairs that no-one seems to be able set up.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-05, 00:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
So far, taking the obvious International flair out of it, it's lacking in showing what an incredibly diverse set of cultures we have within the U.S.

Gas stations, empty trailer homes, giant office furniture... Come on!

How about a real NO, or D.C. challenge? How about Harlem? The west, with Native American, or even rancher, culture? Our great Parks system? Farm communities in the mid-west, Alaskan wilderness culture, Hawaiian culture? Cave and cavern systems, wet, and dry, that exist in many regions. Special fossil desposits that exists in many places, from Ohio to Montana. Our incredible museums and historical sites. And much more.

I'm watching, but so far it's been lame. Really, really, lame. IMO, it didn't (doesn't) have to be, even without leaving the States.

A Tribephyl Awesome Autumn

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-05, 00:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
Myst, you just led me to another thing this TAR is lacking:

Nowhere off the beaten trail. Middleburg is about as close as they came. Tourist spots all.

I mentioned in another thresd similar thoughts to yours. There are HUGE underexplored sections of the USA (Montana and eastern Kentucky (hi UKyRox), for two). Why not go there? Why stick to the road more traveled?

Maybe they'll do stuff like that later on, but I have my doubts.

"Cygnus needs no defending - his position is undefendable." --Google

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-05, 01:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
Well if you ever plan to motor west
Just take my way that's the highway that's the best
Get your kicks on Route 66

I actually am enjoying this series. It just really isn't TAR to me, though, more just an offshoot variant. TAR is a race around the world by planes, trains and automobiles, not a rally race around the good ol' USA.

The biggest difference, I think, is what has resulted from having the "Babies On Board." Having kids around has forced them to alter the nature of the challenges, they aren't as spectacular, more like playtime. This may have a few upsides, like perhaps maybe this time we won't be subjected to a gut-busting food challenge of some sort. But it also makes this more of an American Family Vacation Home Movie Race, not the adventurous journey around the world that TAR was previously.

Mixed bag. I am enjoying this one, as I say. It just seems cutrate, though.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
Unhappily lacking:

Frantic attempts to book and rebook air travel
Jet lag/travel disruption (everyone still seems fresh)
Cultural/language barriers
Travel choices resulting in significant time separation between teams
Travel to unfamiliar places
Exotic travel scenery
Challenging roadblocks and detours
The Yield

Happily lacking:

Excessive unnecessary bunching - "Hours of Operation"
Teams yelling at each other
Non-elimination legs (bet that changes next Tuesday)
The mandatory TAR leg through India
Jonathan & Victoria
Fear Factor-style challenges

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

10-21-05, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
Good summary, Max, I'm in complete agreement with.

And to add... no Fast Forwards. (probably happily lacking, as I didn't like the way FF's moved weak teams up to the top)

A spooky tribephyl creation

CouchTater 1046 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-20-05, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
I think this season is lacking all the variations that can happen. Everything seems TOO set up. I’m mean, go to the race track museum and look for the clue box. IT’S RIGHT THERE AS SOON AS YOU WALK IN! Hello, where’s the challenge?

They are always driving in a new SUV from place to place. How about making them drive some old beaters, or maybe school busses, or an English car with the driver’s side on the other side. I don’t know anything but an SUV.

Also, there are no other tourists where they go. The race track, the space museum, the Amish farm- I’ve been there and there are always people there, how about getting them through Disney World at the height of the season and having them find some rinky dink booth selling special snow cones, while dealing with throngs of tourist?

The challenges are boring and the even the places where the clues boxes are, are boring. Go to the big office chair? How about having them rappel down the chair, just for something different? It’s really stupid. I think that they made this show to appeal to 5 year olds. I can’t wait for TAR 9, I hope it’s a lot better, or at least that this one picks up.

noliferealityfan 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-21-05, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail noliferealityfan Click to send private message to noliferealityfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
"RE: What is this season lacking?"

interest.

escapedude 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-23-05, 10:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail escapedude Click to send private message to escapedude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
Its "safe" for the whole family.Yes that makes it boring.

10-26-05, 01:09 AM (EST)
17. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-26-05 AT 01:16 AM (EST)

I don't mind the SUVs, the built in cameras give us some great shots - but you are very, very, very right about the lack of other people. Most TARs have people just going about thier life, not aware that they were interfering with racers just by being there.

Like you said, find the box would have been harder if the museum was full of people and the box hidden in a little corner somewhere.

Because TAR is well known in America I would expect they would have to change colours of the flags and the design of the boxes - but I think it could have been done.

redbaronii 171 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-26-05, 10:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail redbaronii Click to send private message to redbaronii Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
I don't know if it's one of them, but this season lacks the "interview scene between the task/in the task" things (like they would not cut to the teams talking about the task at the interview at pitstop when they have trouble/comment on the task)

Otherwise...
1. Interesting tasks: I mean, some tasks are lame...go to BP Station??? What the heck...I mean, they could have make easy roadblocks that are still interesting...
2. Team dynamics: Except the Paolos, all the others seems to just "drive/run around and find clue box". Except the hate of Weavers...but that WAY less than other seasons
3. Interaction with Locals: Even in Panama, they just seems to "run around"

What lacks that I don't miss?
1. Bunching every episode: They do have bunching, but the one this time are better than the lame "Hours of Operation"
2. Romber: YES, they do make the show interesting, but I'm watching TAR, not Big Brother.

indy42 135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-27-05, 00:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail indy42 Click to send private message to indy42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
I think the team dynamics are very different compared to the 2 -person TAR. Mainly, the family teams have not had many opportunities to create friction between each other. Episode 5 had a few glimpses of friction: the batting and the Mom Weaver's comments on the boat.

That type of animosity has largely been absent and made entertaining TV in the past seasons of TAR.

Grudges are good TV!

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-27-05, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
What it doesn't lack is people. There are too damn many of them.

What it does lack, along with what everyone else has said, is interesting characters with some personality. Where are the fat, bald brothers when you need them, falling out and off of things around the world; Derek and Drew leaving their backpacks in a cab, IN MEXICO CITY, asking the driver sweetly, "You'll wait, right?"--and on and on...

Moves courtesy of Syren

notamonster 20 desperate attention whore postings

10-27-05, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail notamonster Click to send private message to notamonster Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
I think it might pick up as more teams drop off. The production was probably to hard to handle with that many people. Kinda want the Gaghan family to win, but the Mom sure got stressed that last episode being on that slow boat.

BTW, I grew up in Anniston AL and never saw that chair. It should tell you how interesting my life was there, when a huge chair is the highlight of the town.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-30-05, 09:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-30-05 AT 09:21 AM (EST)

bump-ba-da-bump-bump

Welcome newbies!

slw1 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-30-05, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail slw1 Click to send private message to slw1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
For me, what this season lacks is a team to root FOR. Any team except the complainers.

I miss the excitement of other countries around the world.

rock321 24 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-05, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rock321 Click to send private message to rock321 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: What is this season lacking?"
easy a gay team although rolly's gotta have some mother issues and the oldest godewlski is being watched so maybe nothing
this total wast of a post brought to you by caffine the wonder drug

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •