The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What do you get out of spoiling?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-11-05, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What do you get out of spoiling?"
I am curious into why you all seem to spoil the finish to reality shows. Why do you want to know who wins the race before it even airs? I personally don't understand it.

For me some bonehead posted on the fantics site the rumored winners and I have known for weeks. It sucked for me.

What evidence did you really have?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What do you get out of spoiling... Neobie 05-11-05 1
   RE: What do you get out of spoiling... cahaya 05-11-05 2
       RE: What do you get out of spoiling... Wacko Jacko 05-11-05 3
           RE: What do you get out of spoiling... cahaya 05-11-05 4
 RE: What do you get out of spoiling... LibraRising 05-11-05 5
   RE: What do you get out of spoiling... Starsky Not Hutch 05-11-05 6
       RE: What do you get out of spoiling... cahaya 05-12-05 13
 RE: What do you get out of spoiling... Snidget 05-11-05 7
 What I get out of spoiling is Loquatrix 05-11-05 8
   P.S. Loquatrix 05-11-05 9
       RE: P.S. cahaya 05-12-05 14
           RE: P.S. Wacko Jacko 05-12-05 15
 RE: What do you get out of spoiling... strid333 05-11-05 10
   For what it's worth Loquatrix 05-12-05 11
       RE: For what it's worth frankz 05-12-05 17
 RE: What do you get out of spoiling... Jims02 05-12-05 12
 RE: What do you get out of spoiling... nailbone 05-12-05 16
 RE: What do you get out of spoiling... applejack93 05-13-05 18
 RE: What do you get out of spoiling... cdru 05-13-05 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Neobie 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-11-05, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Neobie Click to send private message to Neobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
I guess we all do it for different reasons. For me, I love the excitement of running the course along with the racers, trying to figure out the clues that production throws at us. Spoiling is what makes the show such an interactive experience for me; you play an active role in figuring out for yourself what happens next.

In some ways, spoiling is a competition in itself! (That's how spoiling started anyway, with different boards trying to outdo one another.) You race to search for information, aiming to be the first back to share the news.

Nothing is certain in the spoiler world, and that's why it enhances, not dulls, our enjoyment of the show. We get to find out whether our analysis has been correct, pride ourselves in acheivements, and admire production for outplaying us if we miss.

Of course, there's the great thing about working together with this entire community to figure out the next big mystery! What's the fun if you're doing it alone?

Boneheads posting things at the wrong places suck, but you are guaranteed that nothing is a hundred percent reliable. And to answer your last question, we don't have any evidence, none at all! What we do is to find and pick up clues to this giant puzzle, and try our best to solve the case before time runs out! That, I'll say, is the greatest joy of spoiling.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-11-05, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
Well said, Neobie.

It's the logical puzzle/clue solving aspect of it that I love, too.

I tell you what, though... TAR shows here in Asia on AXN 12 hours after it does in the U.S., and I did not take a peek at these boards until after TAR was shown here in Asia 12 hours later. Spoilers are not a sure thing (usually), but post-facto board posts certainly are!

Very elementary, my dear Watson.

05-11-05, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
You guys seemed to pretty much know UJ won the Amazing Race weeks ago so it was more than just piecing clues together from the show.

I admit I used to spoil years ago, but stopped when i figured there is on every show a person with the inside information - since all these shows except Big Brother are taped. Being 'Sherlock Holmes' was fun but solving a 'mystery' after then 'confession' was already made ruined the fun for me.

What in this case gave it away?

05-11-05, 02:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
What in this case gave it away?

I'm not what you're asking here, but I assume you mean the U/J spoiler and win. It was an offshore betting company halting bets after an unusually high number of bets started being placed on U/J (see other threads for details, news articles, etc.). Betting spoilers have proven to be accurate in the past, but there was some thought that the betting spoiler may have been intentionally placed to throw people off (rather unlikely, most of us thought).

Actually, I'm not surprised TAR isn't spoiled more, given the fact that racers go around in broad daylight in view of so many people. This is the how RaceyGirl spoiler came about, as she spotted teams in Jamaica, with digital photo evidence to post here. (She wasn't even a poster here until afterwards, I think).

A lot of "spoilers" turned out to be inaccurate or misleading, though, so you can never be sure. TAR is also known to put out "decoy teams" to fool potential spoilers.

In TAR 7, if any of those people around the park where U/J had been begging for money stuck around and watched what was going on as three teams raced by, and then made that public that would have done it.

I doubt you're going to see any more offshore TAR betting again, so we're back to resorting to chance sightings and our own devices next season.

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-11-05, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-05 AT 03:28 PM (EST)

I enjoy it, even though I'm not good at it. Take a look at my TAR voting record if you don't believe me. Plus, I was the first one to take the bait when the bogus Meredith in London photos were posted.

Actually, I like trying to piece through the spoilers, look at clues, weigh one source against the other and try to guess the ending. The U/J betting spoiler seemed like a gimme, but if you look at how the board voted, it wasn't as solid as it should have been.

That being said, I think I'm staying out of the Survivor spoilers next time. They've gotten too good there -- the entire season was mapped out by about episode 2, and it's been right without a hitch.

A kyngsladye/IceCat masterpiece.

Starsky Not Hutch 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-11-05, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starsky%20Not%20Hutch Click to send private message to Starsky%20Not%20Hutch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
The other thing you have to look at if you read the article with Phil in it on justjared.com is that CBS is now trying to throw off these spoilers. So even if you have this offshore betting thing going on or racey girl seeing pictures of people CBS is still going to try to throw you off the scent. I noticed that at the airport last night there were six mercedes lined up with only three teams left.

So paying attention, guessing, reading and having an over active imagination make the spoilers a lot of fun to do.

Alhtough I do not know how some of you can spend so much time reading all of the boards and post here. But god bless you do.

By the way my first post. But I have been a long time lurker.

05-12-05, 01:21 AM (EST)
13. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
Welcome to the boards, Starsky! Good comments, and gotta check out the justjared.com article.

So paying attention, guessing, reading and having an over active imagination make the spoilers a lot of fun to do.

Yup, yup.

Maybe you'll find Hutch around here somewhere.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 04:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
I mostly lurk on the spoiling threads, others are much better at seeing the little clues in the pictures and other information than I am.

I know people who do not even want to see a movie trailer before seeing the movie as any advanced info what-so-ever just totally takes them out of their enjoyment of the show of any sort.

I can watch a sporting event on tape even when I know the winner because I like to see how things played out and sometimes twists and turns along the way become even more exciting to me when I know it retwisted the other way and I can't wait to see how.

It is kinda like a jigsaw puzzle. I know what the picture is going to look like in the end, but finding out that this piece that I was staring at that looked like it went over here, but really went over there is part of the fun.

Everyone is different in how much they want to know, and how that effects their enjoyment. For me pre-knowing doesn't ruin it for me. I like the anticipation that comes from knowing a little bit and trying to figure out how that will play out. Makes the show in someways last a lot longer for me than just the few minutes it airs if I have something to make guesses about for days/hours before the show starts.

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-11-05, 07:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "What I get out of spoiling is"
the huge enjoyment I derive from watching TV's best editors at work. When you have some background information about the outcome of the game, you're all the more equipped to enjoy the magic made by the backroom boys and girls who really make a story out of the actual events that happened. I work in a similar "back room" myself, and it's just what I enjoy.

Some people enjoy surprises. I happen not to enjoy surprises. It's like watching a magician at work. I'm not interested in being awed by the "magic" -- I'm interested to see if I can figure out how he's doing it.

Same with watching the editors at work. I love to watch a genius at work, and you get the best close-up view of the genius of the Amazing Race and Survivor editors when you know what raw materials (i.e. what outcomes) they have to work with in creating the story.

That said, even though I usually do clock what's being said by the betting spoilers and the insiders leaking facts, I do try to avoid following along too closely in threads like the "Mersaydeez" spoiler on this series of Survivor. I have much more fun reading along with the old-fashioned editing spoilers -- staring at vidcaps and trying to piece things together from the information viewers are handed by the production itself in previews and web journals and so forth.

I like the challenge of figuring stuff out from vidcaps and weight loss spoilers and photos of contestants back in the real world more than I enjoy knowing U/J won because the betting spoilers are always right. As an earlier poster said, spoiling is a special ancillary contest for armchair survivors and armchair racers. It's the combination of our own challenge, and witnessing the marvel of editing, that spoiling helps me enjoy.

05-11-05, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "P.S."
And I'm sorry some eejit posted a spoiler on TAR Fanatics. The reason we have separate forums is so that spoilers don't bother fans, and fans don't bother bashers, and bashers don't bother anybody else. More beatings from the Blue Folks are obviously needed. ;)

05-12-05, 01:24 AM (EST)
14. "RE: P.S."
Just curious... I missed the past spoiler post on Fanatics you mentioned. Can you give a link to it?

And then there's the Eejit Forum.

05-12-05, 09:06 AM (EST)
15. "RE: P.S."
I alerted one of the web monitors and they promptly removed it. I am not sure if that post is here in the spoilers section now or in fanatics with the person's comments deleted.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-11-05, 10:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
I like to be a person "in the know." I've always been the person that would read a few chapters, flip to the end of the book, then go back to where I left off.

I like reading the spoilers for the reality shows. I like being able to figure out from the vidcaps to see if I can figure it out. (I'm not always right.) I do read some of the bigger spoilers (like ChillOne and Mersaydeez) but after that, I ignore them, so I can forget the specific details but still have the general ideas in the back of my head.

I also try to read spoilers for other shows, like ER, Desperate Housewives, and Lost. Even if it is mini spoilers, like in this upcoming episode of The Simpsons, expect Homer to do something boneheaded in this situation.

It just gives me something to look forward to.

Three is the perfect number.

05-12-05, 00:29 AM (EST)
11. "For what it's worth"
I also read the end of books first. I wonder what percentage of the spoiling community does this. :grin:

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-12-05, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: For what it's worth"
Loquatrix
I think you made the perfect analogy with the magician. I’m an amateur magician and have been for, uh, a few years. So when you have some background knowledge on a particular subject (like you do with editing) it is far better to try and figure out what the artist is doing and how. Happen to love Penn and Teller for that exact reason. My heroes in magic.
But I would NEVER EVER read the end of a book first. Blasphemy.

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 01:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
I like spoiling because it's like a mini-mystery week after week. We try to put theories together about which teams will be next to go, and ultimately which team will win the race. Each week there's a new "solution," so if you were wrong one week, you may be right the next time.

Spoiling, in my opinion, is a little less "fun" when there are too many sources. Past seasons of Survivor have been rather boring to me because we had too much information, to the point that we knew far in advance who would go home each week. There's a lot less spoiler-interest in TAR, so there are fewer bootlists and less "spoiling the spoilers." That's why I read TAR spoilers much more than Survivor ones. The actual bootee is usually a relative mystery, even when we have eliminated some possibilities.

I've gone a little off tangent. In short, spoiling is all about the "I knew it!" factor, baby. Oh yeah.

I think my record was rather bad this year though. Eh, maybe next year.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
In my case, it's not the end results that I'm interested in, but the process. Looking for clues, using "reality show" logic, etc., playing detective to see if I can figure out who wins. Then excitement or disappointment when the finale reveals if I'm right or not.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

applejack93 288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-13-05, 00:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail applejack93 Click to send private message to applejack93 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
For the amazing race, I have virtually the entire season spoiled for me before it begins. Australia only just saw the 2nd ep. of TAR 7 last night, when Megan/Heidi were eliminated (survivor and the apprentice are different because we are only a few days behind on those). But I don't get any less involved with the shows even though I know the outcome.

I think tht the reason I love spoiling is because I know things that others don't - it sounds superficial but I like being able to have inside info. It's also much more exciting when it comes to elimination time - because you find out if all the thoughts you've had in your head have been right.

cdru 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-13-05, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cdru Click to send private message to cdru Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: What do you get out of spoiling?"
That's easy. Prizes. I started watching TAR during season 5 because of another site I frequent had a "trivia" type contest. They have followed that up with contests for TAR6 and TAR7 as well.

I won a fairly decent computer (AMD Athlon XP 2800 w/ all the fixins ~$350) for TAR5. I won TAR6 as well and that was going to get me an iPod, but it didn't get shipped in a timley manner from one of the Free iPod offers so I got $200 instead. This last season first prize is a $200 gift certificate to DishDepot, a DBS retail site (the hosting site is a satellite-related forum) and 2nd prize is a $50 GC to any online store of your choice. I'm in the running for either of those prizes as well.

For for me, spoiling pays off with tangible benifits. Plus I like having hints as to what is going to happen. Sometimes they are right (betting spoiler). Other times they are far off (MBR's non-spoiler).

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •