The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I Won't Watch"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

KrisOA 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-19-05, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KrisOA Click to send private message to KrisOA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"I Won't Watch"
Sorry .. after last night, I will not watch American Idol again. Even for reality shows, which are all going down an unfortunate road of emphasizing the 'freak show' aspect of the contestants as much or more than the contest itself, there is a particularly and visciously mean spirit afoot and alive on AI. I don't know if it stems from Simon Cowell's influence or elsewhere, but someone in control of the show thinks that public humiliation and cruelty is a form on entertainment. As in Roman times and to this day, perhaps they're right, and it is entertaining to mock and laugh and make deliberate fun of people, but I do not, thank God. When AI chose to feature at length that poor pathetic young woman last night who had absolutely no self-perception and, in fact, lives in a fantasy world where she is attractive, has class, dresses well, and can sing, for the sole purpose of showing her at her most vulnerable in order to allow us to laugh at her and mock her, they crossed the line of bad taste and meanness that I honestly don't want to be part of. There is something awful going on on these reality shows and in society, and I feel icky for being a part of it, even as a viewer well removed. There's an off button on the TV for a reason, and I've decided to use it, starting with AI. I'll catch the winner at the end and skip the humiliation and nastiness in between.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I Won't Watch Spidey 01-19-05 1
   Huh? dramamama 01-19-05 5
       RE: Huh? anotherkim 01-20-05 9
       Ask these questions off the forum Bebo 01-20-05 10
 RE: I Won't Watch seahorse 01-19-05 2
   RE: I Won't Watch callalilly3000 01-19-05 3
       RE: I Won't Watch seahorse 01-23-05 44
 RE: I Won't Watch dramamama 01-19-05 4
   RE: I Won't Watch consise10 01-19-05 6
       RE: I Won't Watch Spider 01-20-05 7
           RE: I Won't Watch okaychatt 01-23-05 42
       RE: I Won't Watch dramamama 01-20-05 13
           RE: I Won't Watch emydi 01-20-05 14
               RE: I Won't Watch realitychick 01-26-05 48
           RE: I Won't Watch consise10 01-20-05 28
               RE: I Won't Watch dramamama 01-20-05 30
                   RE: I Won't Watch consise10 01-22-05 36
                       RE: I Won't Watch dramamama 01-22-05 38
                           RE: I Won't Watch consise10 01-22-05 41
 One comment... wandacal 01-20-05 8
 RE: I Won't Watch heartsister 01-20-05 11
   RE: I Won't Watch dramamama 01-20-05 12
       RE: I Won't Watch Spidey 01-20-05 15
           RE: I Won't Watch Devious Weasel 01-20-05 16
               RE: I Won't Watch So_Damn_Real 01-20-05 17
                   RE: I Won't Watch dramamama 01-20-05 22
                       RE: I Won't Watch Devious Weasel 01-20-05 23
                           RE: I Won't Watch dramamama 01-20-05 25
           schadenfreude dramamama 01-20-05 18
               RE: schadenfreude Devious Weasel 01-20-05 19
                   RE: schadenfreude dramamama 01-20-05 20
                       RE: schadenfreude Devious Weasel 01-20-05 21
                           RE: schadenfreude dramamama 01-20-05 24
                               RE: schadenfreude Devious Weasel 01-20-05 26
                                   RE: schadenfreude TechNoir 01-21-05 33
                                       RE: schadenfreude dramamama 01-21-05 34
                               RE: schadenfreude consise10 01-20-05 29
                                   RE: schadenfreude dramamama 01-20-05 31
                       RE: schadenfreude mrc 01-20-05 27
 RE: I Won't Watch Sweety Tweety 01-21-05 32
 RE: I Won't Watch PagongRatEater 01-21-05 35
   RE: I Won't Watch dramamama 01-22-05 37
       *snort!* PagongRatEater 01-22-05 39
           RE: *snort!* dramamama 01-22-05 40
           RE: *snort!* HistoryDetective 01-23-05 43
               RE: *snort!* PagongRatEater 01-23-05 45
                   RE: *snort!* dramamama 01-23-05 46
                       RE: *snort!* consise10 01-24-05 47

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-19-05, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: I Won't Watch"
someone in control of the show thinks that public humiliation and cruelty is a form on entertainment. As in Roman times and to this day, perhaps they're right, and it is entertaining to mock and laugh and make deliberate fun of people, but I do not, thank God.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't like mocking and humiliation of these contestants, you are in the wrong place.

If you don't so much mind it, but prefer not to engage in it yourself, then welcome to the boards. There are lots of contestant love threads, so I am sure there are like-minded people around here somewhere.

But fair warning - there is a great deal of seemingly mean spirited stuff on these boards. It's how many of us amuse ourselves.

dramamama 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-19-05, 08:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dramamama Click to send private message to dramamama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Huh?"
I thought we were supposed to be mocking and humiliating each other! I didn't see this on the guidelines. Who's in charge of rule-making around here: the Red Queen?

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 08:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Huh?"

The guidelines are here. You might want to read them again. Mocking each other is, of course, expressly forbidden, especially in show forums.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--and as to who is in charge, that would be the Blue People.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 08:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Ask these questions off the forum"
Dramamama, if you have questions about the guidelines, or about whether or not it's appropriate to post something on a show forum, please ask someone off the forums.

We're trying to discuss American Idol here, not your - or anyone else's - interpretations of the guidelines. That's what email and PMs are for. Please use them.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-05, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: I Won't Watch"
I think the vast majority trying out know if they are of adequate quality to make it beyond the auditions. Many would love to be the next William Hung, others are looking for their 15 minutes of fame and want to be on television whether it is because they sing well or they sing very poorly.

They don't really need any sympathy. 99% of all auditions did not even make the tv show.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-19-05, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: I Won't Watch"

I agree with you Seahorse. I believe only 10%, (I think I might even be a little high on that #)have any real talent, or what AI deems as talent.

Most people who audition, are hoping to just be on TV. I think most are there just as a joke, and know that they won't make beyond the original auditions.

From what I saw last night, I didn't see anyone that just "stood out" as the next AI. I might be a little harder on the contestants this season, I am tired of seeing the same old thing.

Slice and Dice Shop 2004

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-05, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Since the odds of moving on to Hollywood are more than 500 to 1, I don't think anywhere near 10% are talented in AI's opinion.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

01-19-05, 08:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dramamama Click to send private message to dramamama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Well, ok, I felt a little badly about myself snickering at a schizophrenic; and maybe a little uncomfortable sneering at an underclass woman with claw marks on her arms who wasn't aware that the dress and jewelry she thought were so pretty and clever, purchased on such a modest budget, were simply laughable. I didn't have as much fun as I'd hoped when the judges disabused the Braxton nephew of his dreams; and I longed to join in the hilarity of jarring the recovering alcoholic from his moment of euphoria, watching his gradual discovery of the fact that he really couldn't sing, after all, seeing the terrible realization sink in, that he had no hope, that he was being mocked and shamed for his pathetic delusion. Even the impoverished janitor, who had to panhandle to get back home, and who thought he had a voice (thank god we stripped him of that silly self-image).

But I have to tell you, you know the guy who sang "Tomorrow"? The one with the lavendar contacts, purple shirt and matching sweat band, the Orphan Annie hair? Now he made me laugh. LOLOLOL. And even though I felt really badly about myself, I just kept laughing. He looked so earnest and sweet but he was all purple and singing Tomorrow, Tomorrow, hanging onto notes as if he was going to wait until tomorrow: what the hell was he thinking?

T

consise10 399 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-19-05, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail consise10 Click to send private message to consise10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: I Won't Watch"
As you once said to me on these boards dramamama,It`s the drama I tell you,it`s the drama.These so called contestants must know the calibre and standard of the idols from previous seasons.They are obviously going on there to get into the bottom list of hopeless wannabee idols to get there fame that way.It`s obviously part of the show too now as some have gained some fame from doing it that way.
So It`s the drama Mama-the drama.You know what I mean?

Spider 164 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-20-05, 03:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Spider Click to send private message to Spider Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Its fantastic to watch AI and Americans who take this show and themselves way, way too seriously. (not just americans but its a USA based show)

Cmon, its funny to watch people humiliating themselves when they CANNOT SING!!! How about the girl who has the white, trailer trash husband, who sold her wedding rings to get to washington!! Hmm, pawn the karoke machine or the wedding rings and then make the husband a bad guy if he does not give his support. He does not actually look like a real go getter and fortune 100 guy.

Yes, the people who are not that bad who don't make it I feel a little sympathy but the judges rarely criticise them. Its only the hacks who think they can sing and obviously cannot that provide the entertniament.

And to the thread initiater, this is how AI attracts its audience and then once the auditions are over, the real talent comes through. If it was just the last 32, i probably would not watch.

Finally, every contestant knows what AI is about and knows the camera is rolling and what they are looking for. If not, they are too dumb to be in show business.

Bring it on. Love the pyschos. Love the people who break down after the audition. (showing the homeless janitor and the guy dropping the bottle to give him change was a bit much though)

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-23-05, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: I Won't Watch"
<If it was just the last 32, i probably would not watch.

That's where I'll start watching again. I saw the first night and have tuned out until the auditions are over.

I'm always amazed at the number of delusional reality tv people wanting a quick, easy road to fame and fortune. For a very few, that approach works. For the rest of us, it takes time, education, effort, and canny planning.

Waiting for the real deal before tuning in again. I like to watch the weekly improvements in the performers. Well, some of them improve.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

01-20-05, 09:33 AM (EST)
13. "RE: I Won't Watch"
LAST EDITED ON 01-20-05 AT 09:35 AM (EST)

Good point, Consise, but maybe we have to ask ourselves at what point we sacrifice our souls (or less religiously, our sense of what is ethical and just treatment of others) for the sake of entertainment. Paddy Chayevsky's film, "Network," which was produced a few decades ago, was a comedy about television showing people degrading and even killing themselves on television to boost the ratings. I wonder if that movie would even seem like a comedy any more...

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 10:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Um...sacrificing our souls????

Whoa it's a REALITY TV SHOW.....

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Where's the clown when I need him?

realitychick 200 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 07:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitychick Click to send private message to realitychick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "RE: I Won't Watch"
I agree, all of the shows are and should be watched as such. Entertainment!

01-20-05, 10:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail consise10 Click to send private message to consise10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: I Won't Watch"
I see your point dramamama,and agree about the mistreatment of people who appear mentally disturbed,(perhaps that would delete half of the worlds population-from auditioning}.There`s a hell of a lot of 'mental' illness out there!
But true what you say about laughing at the misfortune of others-it`s sad to think that we get our kicks that way.
I really believe the control is in the TV networks hands.They have the ability to cut and edit what they deem 'offensive' and thus control us and our humour to a point-it becomes difficult to ignore.Know what I mean dramamama?

01-20-05, 11:13 PM (EST)
30. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Yes, I do know what you mean: it starts out light and silly, you're having a laugh about how vain and self-deluding people can be, and then suddenly you find you are laughing at a schizophrenic, or a recovering alcoholic plunging into despair before your very eyes. It's pretty dark, really. Now that you point it out, it makes me wonder about the people who put this together and what kind of bleak view of human nature they operate.

01-22-05, 03:29 AM (EST)
36. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Perhaps these executive producers are so far gone into their own 'narcistic' personalities and there ambition to 'control' us through there apparently 'humourous' efforts.Some may argue that point dramamama.They are doing this by creating a scenario of ridicule out of the despair of others,by placing these 'poor people' in the delusional position where they believe 'FAME' is possible.As others have said in there own way on these boards(I think spidey or patong rat eater were some-but I stand to be corrected) it`s also part of the 'what to expect' after so many seasons of success equating to big dollars-why alter it?
The arrogance of these big time dollar making TV machines won`t back down regardless of the moral dilemma it poses.The only way in my view dramamama,is not to allow these programs to rate so highly-if their ratings plummit-that`s the end of them.
Problem is -we all love to watch and can`t get enough!Know what I mean dramamama?What`s your view?

01-22-05, 08:55 AM (EST)
38. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Once again you make some good points, consise. Me, I liked AI in its earlier incarnation, when there seemed to be some sense that this was not a show about laughing at deluded and mentally ill people and more about determining what constituted star quality in a given moment and with one set of performers. I find that question, and that process, interesting and occasionally even touching.

I think you're right that the producers noted that people responded to the cruelty, so they have seized on it as the road to success. AI increasingly resembles a seedy carnival freak show, and I think it will eventually lose viewers as a consequence. A trace of it, carefully managed, makes a show like this exciting. But indulging in it at every turn and in such increasingly ugly forms only encourages qualities in viewers that I think, given the global moment in particular, would be better redirected.

I don't want to get too carried away here, but back in the days of the gladiators, philosophers noted how those terrible events incited and cultivated cruelty in their audiences and advised people to stay away from them. Socializing and legitimating these acts of cruelty make it publicly acceptable to pronounce oneself cruel and to discover other like-minded folks in the process who would be willing to participate in acts of cruelty elsewhere. People get their panties in a bunch over sex or guns or profanity on television, but encouraging children and adults to engage in this kind of emotional violence against individuals is far likelier to lead to Columbine-like situations than are shows with gunbattles.

01-22-05, 11:19 PM (EST)
41. "RE: I Won't Watch"
The age old argument about exposing children to violence on TV has posed an ethical dilemma for such a long time,and really not all who watch these images are exactly mass murderers,or any thing of that sort.

Infact when the evil act of violence occured on that fatal day of September 11-how quickly were such images barred from being aired-because of the so called trauma children would suffer.My question,without sounding too critical of the worlds leading nation, is ,why have such images been sensored and yet images of the horrendous Tsunami constantly flashed in our faces every day? Both are totally devastating to view from any angle!There are also often images of dead people after war battles in such devastated nations such as Israel,Palestine and Iraq to name a few.Aswell as the horrendus realities of the African nations,I could go on and on with countless examples dramamama.

People on these boards have proved our theory that a 'bit of ridicule' is o.k. Some have even expressed that it is the soul reason why they view American Idol.It`s a sad reality dramamama, but what can we do? As you have wisely stated it will eventually be the shows demise-with very low ratings,it will fizzle out.

wandacal 4018 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-20-05, 05:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail wandacal Click to send private message to wandacal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "One comment..."
I don't laugh my a*s off very often.

(Ask anyone in the OT Forum)

I have never laughed my a*s off so often and so freely as this past Tuesday and Wednesday nights!

Along with a few "contestants", Simon was the MAIN reason for that. (Athough, Randy and Paula are much more, how shall I put it, much more "comedically non-handicapped" this season!)

I, for one, look forward to the audition episodes this season!

The name is - IceCat...redux

Bebo, can you hear me?
Bebo, are you listening?

heartsister 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-20-05, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail heartsister Click to send private message to heartsister Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: I Won't Watch"
No one really wants to admit that they find other people's faults funny or entertaining, but this seems to be the entire premise of reality television. Although I cringe every time Simon puts someone down for being overweight, or Randy openly starts laughing at an auditioner, you have to keep in mind that these people put themselves in the position to be criticized, no one is forcing them to be there.
My only hope is that, as people who work in the music industry, Simon, Paula, and Randy will let America know that if people really want to know how they sound, all they have to do is record themselves and play it back. Even singing to your favorite CD with headphones on, the tape recorder doesn't lie when the singer plays the tape back with just their voice on the recording. If every one of the auditioners did that simple test before trying out, I'm sure it would eliminate at least half of them from even making the trip. But then, where would the show be if they couldn't brag about their huge numbers of auditioners and viewers.

01-20-05, 09:30 AM (EST)
12. "RE: I Won't Watch"
I think you make a good point when it concerns healthy, rational, economically comfortable auditioners. But what is the excuse for publicly humiliating and degrading those who are desperate or mentally unbalanced, or in some cases both?

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: I Won't Watch"
But what is the excuse for publicly humiliating and degrading those who are desperate or mentally unbalanced, or in some cases both?

No excuse needed. By putting themselves in the public eye hoping for fame, they subject themselves to the possibility of infamy and humiliation.

And I, for one, am not adverse to openly admitting to my love of shadenfreude. Having been on these boards awhile, I dare say I'm not the only one.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 11:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Exactly. If you've watched the show and seen what could happen, then you know it could happen to you. If you haven't watched the show and go in blind, then you are a fool.

I'm pretty confident the release you sign probably explains the part where they can make you look like an idiot. And if you sign without reading or understanding, you are a fool.

So_Damn_Real 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-20-05, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail So_Damn_Real Click to send private message to So_Damn_Real Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: I Won't Watch"
What is the fascination in america with fat black people?
I have seen millions of fat white people yet america likes to put fat uneducated black folks all over the screen.
Can one of you americans explain this?
Studying american film there has always been a fat black woman that made everyone laugh at her, not with her. So if your country has moved so far away from the past why does this continue to linger?
Why should other countries aspire to be like you?

01-20-05, 01:46 PM (EST)
22. "RE: I Won't Watch"
That's an interesting observation. Historically, white Americans have liked fat black women figures--mammy--because they represent the Ideal Mother: a woman who lives for us, is indeed our slave, literally, has no erotic life, no interests or desires beyond pleasing and saving and guiding us to happiness. Our happiness is her life. And we have also always had the figure of the natural, innocent, naive, but True and Kind black man who will endanger his life to help the white man, and who despite his naivete has his finger on some kind of natural truth inaccessible to the, uh, more sophisticated white folk...(you find him in such books as Huck Finn but also in a lot of contemporary white American films. Maybe these two symbolic stereotypes have morphed into the fat black person, for you are right, we white Americans seem overfond of such persons.

01-20-05, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: I Won't Watch"
Except that, the fat person, white or black, has been a comedic stereotype since at least Falstaff (and probably earlier). Fat white comedians can be found aplenty in popular media.

01-20-05, 01:54 PM (EST)
25. "RE: I Won't Watch"
yeah, we have always laughed at fat people (I'll raise you one and add Chaucer) but we're talking about *loving* them, and that affect seems peculiarly attached to certain African-American figures in our culture...

01-20-05, 01:09 PM (EST)
18. "schadenfreude"
Ok, so make it difficult to argue with you by conjuring up this great notion, and in relation to reality tv. hmm.

But I don't disagree with you or (can I write the name of the deviant weasel?) as concerns fools and exhibitionists. It's the desperate and insane, who are in no position to consider the terms or consequences of a contract, that make me increasingly queasy with a show like AI.

And by the way, whatever happened to ressentiment?

01-20-05, 01:17 PM (EST)
19. "RE: schadenfreude"
Yes, I can be named.

Without knowing what sort of prescreening is done before auditioners even see the producers, I gotta believe that, if they encounter someone they feel is either not completely with it or someone capable of exploding in a bad way that they don't let them go on. As scary as some of the things we see are, I'm certain there are far scarier people that never make it to the editing room. After all "Simon Cowell Killed By AI Auditioner" is not a headline anyone wants to see.

Except maybe Secrest.

01-20-05, 01:33 PM (EST)
20. "RE: schadenfreude"
Hmm. Simon Cowell killed by AI auditioner...now *that* I would find funny (joking, joking, joking).

So do you think that these people aren't really insane or desperate, that this is part of the show? That seems cynical even for reality television.

01-20-05, 01:38 PM (EST)
21. "RE: schadenfreude"
I don't think desperation is necessarily a clinical diagnosis that the producers would be trying to avoid. I think some may be deluded about their abilities, but that doesn't mean they are insane. And particularly after what happened with William Hung last year, I think there are a ton of bad singers trying out in the hopes of becoming the next W. Hung.

01-20-05, 01:49 PM (EST)
24. "RE: schadenfreude"
Funny opening line about desperation & producers.

But what about the girl who was hearing voices? Didn't that make you feel a wee bit creepy?

01-20-05, 02:04 PM (EST)
26. "RE: schadenfreude"
Yes and no. I guess I'm going to grant them enough to say that if they felt she was truly psychotic, they wouldn't have put her on the air.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: schadenfreude"
Shouldn't the psychotic have an opportunity to make fools of themselves too?

I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

01-21-05, 10:02 AM (EST)
34. "RE: schadenfreude"
LAST EDITED ON 01-21-05 AT 10:14 AM (EST)

point well taken: look how many opportunities you have given me, fer example.

Edited to make a remark that I instantly realized could be interpreted as off task; immediately removed said remark in hopes of avoiding another electroshock treatment from Bebe. But I know, I know: Bebe don't fall for that crap. Yet see how I'm bringing it all together, entwining a triplet of themes: AI/psychosis/you and me? Yes? What? What's this, massage oil? moisturizer? lay down, what? What is that buzzing sound: no no NO NOOOOOOOO. (a call-the-docudrama written and performed by Dramamama)

01-20-05, 10:37 PM (EST)
29. "RE: schadenfreude"
It certainly sounds 'freaky' as you put it dramamama and I just comment without having seen the episode.But another thing just occured to me-isn`t the media a manipulative controller? Showing only misery,death,wars and as in the case of AI talenteless individuals who seem disturbed!Why? I ask dramamama and anyone else out there-Devious Weasel?

01-20-05, 11:19 PM (EST)
31. "RE: schadenfreude"
Avoiding contact with media (particularly the news) is a therapeutic position and apparently pretty effective in combating some forms of depression. Some speculate that the media rather deliberately keep us all afraid, as feminists used to argue that keeping women afraid (to be on the streets at night, for example) was a way of maintaining an imbalance of power. Certainly fear (of war, of crime) greatly shapes our elections and our view of each other generally.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: schadenfreude"
Narcissism (or DAWism, if you prefer) makes people do lots of things that appear delusional to others around them.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Sweety Tweety 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-21-05, 07:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sweety%20Tweety Click to send private message to Sweety%20Tweety Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: I Won't Watch"

This is what? The 4th season. These people who audition have got to know by now, that they risk the chance of being ridiculed, mocked and laughed at. If they haven't realized that by now, they must have been living under a rock some where.

I have watched every season thus far, and I even know what to expect, my kids know what to expect, it's part of the show.

So no, I don't feel the least bit bad for the people who audition, I truly believe that they know they could be one of the people who are laughed at, mocked and ridiculed by the judges. They take that risk, they have to live with the outcome.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-05, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: I Won't Watch"
80% of the reason I watch is to laugh at these so-called singers. They put themselves into the public arena, nobody forced them to do that. Maybe I find it funny cause if I were younger I would try out. Maybe I make myself seem bigger by making them smaller. Maybe it's just funny to watch self-deception and bad singing televised.

Maybe I'm just a rat-b*stard.

But it's a free country, if it truly bugs you, don't watch.

01-22-05, 08:23 AM (EST)
37. "RE: I Won't Watch"
A singing rat as our next idol. I think we've got something here. I've put together a little audition package for you. Don't be afraid to try it out on us: we are your friends. And as friends we will give you our honest opinion about your talent and the wisdom of appearing on AI...

First, the music:
http://www.findmidis.com/listen.go/1345

then, to get you into the motific ambiance, here's the back-story of this ballad of a psychopath's love for his favorite rat. Whether this rat was a b*stard (do I really have to block out b*astard? It is a legitimate word of illegitimacy. On behalf of all ba*stards, I protest).

Anyway, the backstory:
http://www.esplatter.com/reviewsatog/ben.htm

And now, the lyrics, from the Rat Notebooks and perhaps no surprise, Michael Jackson's first hit at age 14. But before you start, one piece of advice: don't oversing, don't push every note, just relax, feel the love, and move your arms around in, like, a windmill motion.

"Ben," by Michael Jackson

Ben, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you my friend will see
You've got a friend in me
(You've got a friend in me)

Ben, you're always running here and there
(Here and there)
You feel you're not wanted anywhere
(Anywhere)
If you ever look behind
And don't like what you find
There's something you should know
You've got a place to go
(You've got a place to go)

I used to say, "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
(I used to say, "I" and "me")
(Now it's "us", now it's "we")

Ben, most people would turn you away
I don't listen to a word they say
They don't see you as I do
I wish they would try to
I'm sure they'd think again
If they had a friend like Ben
(A friend)
Like Ben
(Like Ben)
Like Ben

01-22-05, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "*snort!*"
That is too funny! I took your advice and someone snapped a pic for you.

01-22-05, 01:44 PM (EST)
40. "RE: *snort!*"
Excellent: a glam shot with a product tie-in for the portfolio. The hat works. Little worried about the right ear, however. Maybe a tuck before the audition.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-05, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: *snort!*"
That was you?

a sig by syren

01-23-05, 05:05 PM (EST)
45. "RE: *snort!*"
I'd try to play it off on my evil twin, but come on...everybody knows that I am the darker half.

01-23-05, 06:42 PM (EST)
46. "RE: *snort!*"
Look, if I'm going to represent you, there has to be *complete* honesty on your part. You have to have inner as well as outer beauty. The whole package.

01-24-05, 03:48 AM (EST)
47. "RE: *snort!*"
Patong Rat and dramamama-you guys are hilarious!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •