The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Moving Advice"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-27-04, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Moving Advice"
Well, Luminou got a job offer this week which would mean moving to another city. For the life of us, we cannot decide whether or not this would be a good idea.

On the one hand, the job pays better than his present job and would help him develop different skills that would make him more marketable. The company offering the job is also more stable than his current company. However, it's a routine job, which means he would be bored inside two years. The new job would also be shift work instead of nine-to-five.

If we moved, I would have to start looking for work again. Right now (mainly due to a small talent pool, I admit), I'm the best non-permanent English teacher in the region. I can walk into any language school and most of the colleges and get a job. In the new city, I'd have to start from scratch at a time when I'd rather just work with half a brain and concentrate on my new family. I'm not sure I'm ready to stay home full time, especially without my own money.

Houses are twice as expensive down there. We'd have to give up this house, which we've spent three years renovating (and have almost finished) and move into a totally new home. That said, this house does have some serious design flaws, and we'd have the fun of putting a new place together. However, if I'm not working, will we be able to afford a reasonable house?

We'd be closer to his family. And we'd be closer to his family. If you know what I mean.

You may notice I'm leaning towards staying here. However, Luminou and I would both like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Help us decide, please!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Moving Advice brvnkrz 02-27-04 1
   Taking every opportunity... Coconut 02-27-04 6
       RE: Taking every opportunity... brvnkrz 02-27-04 8
       RE: Taking every opportunity... Schnookie Palookie 02-27-04 10
       RE: Taking every opportunity... minitroll 02-27-04 29
       I will take this opportunity... tig_ger 02-27-04 30
       RE: Taking every opportunity... Puffy 03-01-04 33
 RE: Moving Advice AugustGirl 02-27-04 2
   RE: Moving Advice MTW1961 02-27-04 14
 RE: Moving Advice TechNoir 02-27-04 3
   RE: Moving Advice Coconut 02-27-04 7
       RE: Moving Advice Schnookie Palookie 02-27-04 9
           RE: Moving Advice probably clueless 02-27-04 18
 RE: Moving Advice frisky 02-27-04 4
   RE: Moving Advice Coconut 02-27-04 11
   RE: Shift Work MTW1961 02-27-04 16
 RE: Moving Advice Tiggertramp 02-27-04 5
 Two Words GrendelsMom 02-27-04 12
   RE: Two Words Coconut 02-27-04 13
       RE: Two Words GrendelsMom 02-27-04 15
           RE: Two Words AugustGirl 02-27-04 19
               What's a Nutty Thread without GrendelsMom 02-27-04 20
                   RE: What's a Nutty Thread without AugustGirl 02-27-04 21
                       You know, GrendelsMom 02-27-04 22
                           RE: You know, AugustGirl 02-27-04 26
                               RE: You know, GrendelsMom 02-27-04 28
                                   RE: You know, AugustGirl 02-27-04 31
                       RE: What's a Nutty Thread without frisky 02-27-04 24
                           *spew* GrendelsMom 02-27-04 27
 RE: Moving Advice Swami 02-27-04 17
 Wiggle room Tiggertramp 02-27-04 23
 RE: Moving Advice Chrissy gal 02-27-04 25
 My two cents kiki_k 02-27-04 32

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Moving Advice"
I'm sorry, I don't know how old your kids are, but here is my input from experience. If the kids are under 10 years old, they will probably adapt easily enough, however if the kids are any older than that, keep in mind how they will adjust. I moved away from my home town when I was 11 years old and it wasn't until I was well into my 20's that I recovered. Alsokeep in mind the bored factor for the new job. There is nothing worse than picking up and moving and then 2 years down the line regretting it. However, I am a creature of comfort so that's just my opinion.
Plus there is the in law factor.

02-27-04, 11:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Taking every opportunity..."
We have one child, six weeks old today. Wanna see a pic?

Actually, I'm more worried about our five furry children, some of whom are used to going outside.

I agree about the moving and regretting it. We've always said we want to move before the baby starts school, and we knowthat we don't want to be in this city permanently. Another down point.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Taking every opportunity..."
Well how cute are we? Put a smile on my face this morning.
I have to agree on the furry friends. I am stuck in my house for a while because kitties couldn't take the move.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Taking every opportunity..."

Oh yeah, I forgot to say ...
coochie coochie coo Dominou

He's just too adorable

minitroll 3901 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-27-04, 05:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail minitroll Click to send private message to minitroll Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Taking every opportunity..."
Awwwwww, Dominou is getting so big! He is so adorable.

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

02-27-04, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "I will take this opportunity..."
to say that Dom is tooooo cute. He is just so huggable.

About that other opportunity...will it move you closer to me?

A Kittyloaf Original

Puffy 6702 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-04, 03:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Taking every opportunity..."
He's 6 weeks old already??!!??!! Time sure flies..so cute, very very cute.

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Moving Advice"
The most important question you must ask yourself is:

Is there a Starbucks nearby? And is having a Starbucks nearby worth having his family nearby?

I'm not a very good advice giver. My pat answer is always go with your gut feeling. Good luck on the decision making. I know you two will make the right one, whatever it is.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-27-04, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Moving Advice"
Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Starbucks

(though I understand sometimes it's a best last resort)

Forever searching for the perfect "French Roast with a Shot"

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Moving Advice"
Two more things to think about. See if you can get a solid idea of expenses including housing in the new place. It may be that there would still be a substantial salary increase. Or, if they are high enough, it might represent a salary decrease.

Also what is the likelihood that he would find a similar or more desirable job elsewhere. Since he has been offered this opportunity, you might view it as evidence that he could find yet another more suitable job.

© J Slice, who rocks "Half of Tech's charm is that sometimes I have no idea what she's talking about" -- True

02-27-04, 11:07 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Moving Advice"
You've hit it. With the price of housing, and no job for me, we would be cutting our revenue in half. Also, our current house has an upstairs apartment that we rent; it pays 2/3 of our mortgage.

This same company has large mills in lots of other places.

I'm answering my own post. Which maybe is the point, eh?

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Moving Advice"

Yep, I think you just answered it there Coco. Cutting your revenue in half so that he gets new skills but ends up being bored and working shifts? Not very attractive.

We made a huge move when we left Quebec to come to Atlanta, but the advantages were numerous ... leaving Quebec and family

think of the kitties!!!

probably clueless 5782 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail probably%20clueless Click to send private message to probably%20clueless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Moving Advice"
I'l weigh in with Tech and Nookie on this.

A Kittyloaf®Original
*He ain't heavy, he's just clueless*

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Moving Advice"
I can almost read the answer in your post.

Pros: better pay, job stability, skills development

Cons: your heart is saying no (just my interpretation of your post)

I say go with your heart.

The thing that got me is the shift work. Shift worker couples that I know have completely different relationships. For some people, it works well because they don't get along. For the people who do get along, they miss each other's company.

Would he be working weekends? Weekends are really the only prime family time once the kids hit school, which is going to happen before you know it.

Can you go spend a weekend in the other city and just spend time there? Drive around neighbourhoods and look at the schools and the parks and the grocery stores and imagine yourselves living there and being happy there? Is being closer to family a good thing?

Card-carrying RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division
Non-Embezzling GAWKUR Treasurer

02-27-04, 11:37 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Moving Advice"

We know the city well and like it. We wouldn't be living in town; we'd try and find a house in the country.

And it's four days on, four days off. Eight days a month night shifts. We get along, so I'd think I'd miss him.

In-laws are a 50/50 split.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-27-04, 12:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Shift Work"
I started a business about 10 years ago that required my presence nights and weekends. With a young family it was a huge mistake that took years to recover from. The business finally folded - I couldn't concentrate on it fully AND be a Dad/Husband at the same time.

It almost cost me my marriage too. Be careful!

RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division/Gummi Candy Section - Marketing VP

Tiggertramp 3141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-27-04, 11:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiggertramp Click to send private message to Tiggertramp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Moving Advice"
What does you gut say, when you cal yourself completely, get all the anxiety out, what does it REALLY say to you?

I know it is hard, fears crawl in with anxieties etc. Try to listen to your true inner voice, if that fails, eat a brownie.

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Two Words"
Thirty below.

Anyplace else has to be even a little warmer sometimes.

<==flashed by J_Loaf
Me? I'm moving on to a new level. One that has 4 digits.

02-27-04, 11:54 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Two Words"

new city = same climate

congrats on 1000!

02-27-04, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Two Words"
Well, why didn't you say so in the first place? Stay, then, because it's better to love your in-laws from a distance.

On the other hand, in-town in-laws make great emergency babysitters.

<==is wishy-washy today
Whew. I'm just glad I got there before you hit 6000. Otherwise, I'd have been embarrassed.

02-27-04, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Two Words"
Hiya Wishy-Washy.

*stalk*

02-27-04, 12:15 PM (EST)
20. "What's a Nutty Thread without"
*whack*

<==flashed by J_Loaf
Hi Auglet

02-27-04, 12:19 PM (EST)
21. "RE: What's a Nutty Thread without"
*opens can of whupp-a$$*

Hi!

02-27-04, 12:24 PM (EST)
22. "You know,"
I've searched in several stores for the afore-mentioned cans of whupp-a$$ and can't find it anywhere. Where do you shop?

It's like scratch. People tell me about all the amazing things they make from it, and my grocery store doesn't carry any. Must be why I can't cook very well.

<==flashed by J_Loaf
"Don't take any course where they make you read Beowulf"--Alvy Singer (Woody Allen), Annie Hall

02-27-04, 01:43 PM (EST)
26. "RE: You know,"
You just need to know where to look. Or who to know to look. Or something like that.

Let's just say it's a controlled substance, and leave it at that, ok?

And by the way, remind me to never eat any of your baked goods.

*stalk*

02-27-04, 02:35 PM (EST)
28. "RE: You know,"
It's not who you know, but who you look like you know.

Is that what you're trying to say?

<==flashed by J_Loaf
"Don't take any course where they make you read Beowulf"--Alvy Singer (Woody Allen), Annie Hall

02-27-04, 05:39 PM (EST)
31. "RE: You know,"
What I trying to say is, it's not who you know, or who you think you know, or who you think knows you, it's who knows the people who think they know you.

huh?

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: What's a Nutty Thread without"

Card-carrying RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division
Non-Embezzling GAWKUR Treasurer

02-27-04, 02:33 PM (EST)
27. "*spew*"
that'll clear your hairballs

<==flashed by J_Loaf

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Moving Advice"
What Tech said about balancing the salary increase against the cost of living in the new city.

Plus, you said he was 'offered' the job. Was he looking or was it a cold offer? Either way, it would be worth it to see what other opportunities may be out there for him that would be better locations for you.

I must admit, 4 days on, four days off sounds pretty nice to me in terms of family togetherness--it's way more than I have with my DH. These are 12 hour shifts?, so it's either day or night? Has Luminou ever worked alternating shifts? Because some people adjust easily & some become human zombies.

FWIW - Moving with a baby is a bit hectic but not traumatic. Moving with a toddler is way harder--on them & on you.
- It is nice to be within a few hours drive of family so you can fairly easily visit, be as involved as you want to be in each other's lives, and pitch in when there is an emergency. It is also nice to be far enough away that ILs don't just show up on your doorstep regularly/weekly/daily/whenever.

The King is dead. The Crown is tarnished. (Well, it's blurred anyway...)

Tiggertramp 3141 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-04, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiggertramp Click to send private message to Tiggertramp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Wiggle room"
If it's an offer, how good is it?? Is there wiggle room?? Negotiate negotiate negotiate. Tell them you need moving costs, need more vacation, need more time up front for moving, (and adjustment due to baby and wife having to leave place she loves too).

World is YOUR oyster baby. You really have the power here. If they want him, you have wiggle room. Take a look at the toen, and prices of real estate, and your job market in the area, and day cares, and their prices, schools, crime, taxes, development. research research research.

This could be the beginning of something great for you all, or not. You just had an offer. Bow the work looking into that offer has to start. You have leverage, remember that. And no matter what remember that what you have now is great.

That brownie is lookin pretty good huh?

Hang in there sweetie!

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-27-04, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Moving Advice"
Story time!!

When my oldest son was 18 months old and I was VERY pregnant with our second child, it became apparent that he was not seeing enough of his father. He would look for his dad during the day and be too tired at night to spend enough time with his dad to satisfy his need.

We decided that my husband should move to a job on swing shift so he would have more time with our son when the second child arrived. It was the BEST decision we could have made. My husband is very close to our sons because he had a lot of bonding time during their early years.

However (and there is always one of those), he moved back to day shift when our kids started school. My husband was fortunate enough to be able to find a day shift job when he wanted one, but things don't always work out that well.

Now for my advice - Remember that your baby's childhood is very short and he needs both of you to be there for him as much as possible. Choose something that allows for a good work-life balance!

kiki_k 1444 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-27-04, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kiki_k Click to send private message to kiki_k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "My two cents"
Big changes are always scary and people, by nature, are more comfortable with the familiar. So, you need to determine if your wanting to stay put is about staying "with the familiar" -- if so, you should go for the change. To me, the two big things I see here are: this job would make him more marketable. The company offering the job is also more stable than his current company. And remember, he wouldn't have to stay in this job forever -- when the "two year rut" sets in, he can move on. Also, with your qualifications, I really don't predict a difficult time for you getting new employment. Finally, even though I know exactly what you mean by you'll be "closer to his family," don't under-estimate the advantages that can spell now that you have a baby -- and I don't mean babysitting. It is important, imo, for kids to have a sense of a lot of "family" around them and to build on those relationships.
Anyway, whatever your decision, good luck!

compliments of GeorgiaBelle

All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •