The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-05-04, 09:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
The Station Nightclub burned to the ground one year ago this month killing 1/3 of the 300 occupants that were there getting ready to enjoy a concert.

When you go into a new public building, do you look around for the other exits?

Do you ever go to the emergency exit doors and check to make sure they are unlocked?

Have you ever been involved in a fire in a public building, or known someone who has?

Have you ever seen the occupancy limits posted on a sign near the entry door, but then looked around and realized that the facility was most likely over the limit and overcrowded?

Have you ever been in a public building and had the fire alarm ring, and stay where you were instead of evacuating either because you thought it was a false alarm or didn't want to lose your place, or seat, or whatever?

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: One year ago this month our nat... frisky 02-05-04 1
 RE: One year ago this month our nat... volsfan 02-05-04 2
   RE: One year ago this month our nat... KObrien_fan 02-05-04 9
 RE: One year ago this month our nat... Schnookie Palookie 02-05-04 3
   RE: One year ago this month our nat... KObrien_fan 02-05-04 4
       RE: One year ago this month our nat... Esbea 02-05-04 5
           RE: One year ago this month our nat... Devious Weasel 02-05-04 6
           RE: One year ago this month our nat... KObrien_fan 02-05-04 7
           RE: One year ago this month our nat... anotherkim 02-05-04 8
               RE: One year ago this month our nat... KObrien_fan 02-05-04 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-04, 10:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
My mother has been to bingo halls when there's a bomb threat, and they have to pry some people out of their seats with the jaws of life to get them to leave. The sniffer dogs go through, and then they all go back to play bingo.

I check for exits if I'm in a room with lots of people, i.e. convention, movie theatre, bar, etc. I'm always looking for the quick escape.

Card-carrying RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division
Non-Embezzling GAWKUR Treasurer

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-04, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
WOW! It is hard to believe that it has been a year! So sad.

I have never been involved in any public building fire thank goodness.

The only time I have been even remotely interested in finding a quick exit is when I go to football games at Neyland Stadium. For those that are not sports fans...it holds 107,000 and I am on row 41 from the ground. After 9-11, I started planning my exit from the place in case something bad happened. I bring this up because it is the only time I really think about stuff like that (being in a large crowd)!

Director of Public Relations for GAWKUR!

02-05-04, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
Not to mention that a fire doesn't even have to exist for a tragedy to take place. Get a large crowd of fans together for a football or soccer game, or whatever and have any kind of riot break out, the real threat of being trampled or stomped to death by the panicked crowd pushing you up against a locked gate or exit door is very possible as well.

It was also one year ago this month that we had the mace fiasco at the nightclub in Chicago, many people died from panicked crowds trampling them and others pushed up against the locked/blocked exit doors.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-04, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
That was so tragic

I lived in a highrise apartment building years ago. I was on the 10th floor. Someone set off a smoke bomb in the medical building attached to the apartment building and the fire dept had to evacuate everyone. The smoke was so bad I could smell it in my apartment and I was choking. I didn't have time to get my two kitties so I was extremely upset. I got downstairs and was in tears. The firemen wouldn't help me. In the meantime, my brother had heard about it and drove over to see if I was ok. He was walking along the street and looked into one of the ambulances and thought he saw me in there and freaked out. Wasn't me thankfully. Anyhoo, it was just a smoke bomb so eventually they let everyone back in and my kitties were fine. I learned my lesson though. Grab the kitties!!!

I always make sure I know where the emergency exits are wherever I go. DH always makes sure to check out the exits on any plane he is on.

I must say I do take fire alarms seriously. I'm on the safety committee here at work. When the alarms go off, many people just hang around. I make sure to get my group outside. Don't take chances people. It only takes seconds to get overcome by the smoke.

I've never tried checking to see if emergency exit doors are unlocked. I might think about it though if I'm ever in a crowded bar.

Nookie's babies

02-05-04, 10:40 AM (EST)
4. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
Smoke is the leading cause of death in a fire, and it comes on very quickly as you have said Nookie. Many people think that they can wait until they smell smoke or see fire and then evacuate the building.

In the fire at the Beverly Hills Supper club in 1977 that took the lives of 165 people, a big reason for the deaths of these people is:

A. A delay of 15 minutes in reporting the fire to the fire department because the staff thought they could extinguish the fire.

B. The club was overcrowded with 3 times as many people in the Cabaret room then what was legal.

C. The people in the Cabaret room didn't want to leave their seats, they were waiting for John Davidson to perform, and they thought that because the fire was on the other end of the building, it wouldn't affect them.

Most of the patrons that died that night, were found in the corridor leading from the Cabaret room, they had been overcome by a thick wave of smoke and passed out before reaching the exits.

Esbea 7377 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-04, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
Not to make light of a very serious subject but.....I really cant imagine giving up my life to keep my seat at a John Davidson concert.

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side-saddle.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-04, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
Sacrilege!

02-05-04, 10:58 AM (EST)
7. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
I agree, the people in the club underestimated the threat of the fire, and they also did not realize that the corridor was not equipped with closing smoke/fire doors that would have prevented the spread of the smoke and contained the fire to it's area of origin. But hindsight is 20/20 vision, or is it?

Unfortunately in our history of fire disasters we as a public have not learned this lesson very well. Building codes exist but a combination of a number of things keep the possibility very high for another tragedy like Rhode Island to occur at any time.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-04, 11:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
I'm trying to imagine a situation where I would ever be at said concert. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--nope. nothing.

02-05-04, 11:06 AM (EST)
10. "RE: One year ago this month our nation suffered the 9th worst public assembly fire in terms of fatalities"
Maybe not John Davidson, but how about the Flaming Idiots? Or some other rock band that you do like? Or what if it was a political rally and you were there listening to a presidential candidate?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •