The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Big Brother All-Stars: Straight Out of "1984""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-14-06, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Big Brother All-Stars: Straight Out of "1984""
Yes, the metaphor is too obvious, but hear me out. I just began reading George orwell's "1984" and the parallels between the hamsters of BB All-Stars and the three superstates of Orwell's novel are, if anything, noticeable. Season 6, Chilltown, and the Floaters are, effectively, three super-states vying for power and using whatever sort of manipulation they can get their hands on in order to stay ahead. A lot of things going on in the BB house are things that didn't necessarily happen in the book, but they are things one may expect to happen.

The Sovereign alliance, a.k.a. Season 6, corresponds to Oceania, the state run by Big Brother. The Sovs are at war with the Floaters (Eurasia) and at peace with Chilltown (Eastasia.) There has always been a clamor about getting rid of Chilltown, but if you ask any Sov, they ahve always been at war with the Floaters and at peace with Chilltown. No one can prove otherwise, and if they could, no one would want to, as betraying Oceania means that everyone in Oceania goes down. Even if James wins HOH, he can be frustrated with Janelle all he wants, but he doesn't dare nominate her.

The amount of what Orwell refers to as "doublethink" is astounding here as well. It seems to be possible for the Sovs to believe that George lied to Kaysar while, at the same time, knowing he didn't. It's very effective, as the Sovs can now turn all their hate at the enemy Floaters and attach George's name to it. It's possible for the Sovs to each have side alliances with floaters while denouncing such deals and trying to clear-cut fellow alliance members' side deals (i.e. James campaigning for Janelle to put up Marcellas, her secret ally, while protecting his alliance with Danielle.)

At the same time, despite how dangerous some players can be, no real effort has been made to dispense of some of the more ruthless players. Will even got up in front of the house and told them he hates them all and wanted to leave, and the house left him alone. Will's speech was a subliminal "I'm not a threat; keep me around, and then you will learn how threatening I am." In order to give him what he wants, you have to give him the opposite. Will must have the Newspeak dictionary memorized.

So with this, it remains to be seen which superstate wins the game and whether the screens will read, "Two and two make five!" at any point.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Big Brother All-Stars: Straight... Das Mole 08-14-06 1
   RE: Big Brother All-Stars: Straight... Colonel Zoidberg 08-14-06 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Das Mole 2366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-14-06, 11:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Das%20Mole Click to send private message to Das%20Mole Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Big Brother All-Stars: Straight Out of "1984""
The funny thing is, I should understand everything you just said by now, but I don't.

I have to read "1984" for summer reading...which gives me about a week, lol. It'll be interesting to re-read your post once I've actually done the assignment.

Oy vey.

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-14-06, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Big Brother All-Stars: Straight Out of "1984""
I came up with this after getting to page 28, so it's doable...I'm still waiting for one of the hamsters to call another a "duckquacker"...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •