The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

bentherdunthat 518 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-10-06, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bentherdunthat Click to send private message to bentherdunthat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
After Kim's excercise about feeling unloved Rhonda made a comment that has been gnawing at me a bit. (Now I'm paraphrasing a bit, so bear with me) Kim posed the question "Am I not supposed to expect anything from the people who love me?" and Rhonda said "That's right"
Now, maybe I'm missing the finer nuances of what Rhonda meant, but I disagree! I think Kim has every right to expect to be treated with dignity and basic respect. I don't see that as unrealistic at all. I feel Rhonda was way off base telling Kim she doesn't have the right to expect anything from her loved ones.
Some of the things Kim listed that made her feel unloved (at least on the part of her husband) certainly indicated that he didn't treat her with much regard.
I think part of a healthy loving relationship is setting (and upholding) expectations. For example, I expect that in my friendships, my friends do not talk about me behind my back or tell lies. In my marriage I expect loyalty and to be treated with dignity. I expect that my children will be truthful and talk to me respectfully. And I hold myself to those same expectations.
I think Kim should expect to be treated with consideration from her husband. And she should expect that her grandparents would not choose sides between Kim and her aunt.
So what are your thoughts? Am I missing an important point here, or did Rhonda strike out?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... lovemydogdude 02-10-06 1
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Cleverone 02-10-06 3
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... bentherdunthat 02-14-06 20
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Cleverone 02-10-06 2
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... OklaBlue 02-10-06 4
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... beckettrep 02-10-06 5
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... SOWayz 02-11-06 6
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... lovemydogdude 02-11-06 7
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... SOfan0221 02-11-06 8
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... beckettrep 02-11-06 9
       RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... MariJ 02-15-06 30
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Labyrinth 02-15-06 27
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... msbehavin 02-11-06 10
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Baxtera 02-11-06 11
       RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... OklaBlue 02-11-06 12
       RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Cleverone 02-14-06 25
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Labyrinth 02-15-06 28
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... mantramaven 02-11-06 13
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Zoey 02-11-06 14
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... lovemydogdude 02-11-06 15
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Baxtera 02-11-06 16
       RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... lovemydogdude 02-11-06 17
           RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Baxtera 02-12-06 18
               RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... lovemydogdude 02-12-06 19
               RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... bentherdunthat 02-14-06 21
           RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... lifeless_93 02-15-06 31
       RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Labyrinth 02-15-06 29
 This place is LOADED with brilliant... bentherdunthat 02-14-06 22
 RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... EnfanTerrible 02-14-06 23
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... lovemydogdude 02-14-06 24
       RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... Cleverone 02-14-06 26
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... lifeless_93 02-15-06 32
   RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... beckettrep 02-21-06 33
       RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's ex... mirage3033 02-21-06 34

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-10-06, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I wish I could remember all the different things Kim wrote down..what were her expectations of each HM? If I remember right?..they were pretty generic.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that it is totally appropriate for us to have certain expectations in our relationships. Things that we "expect" from our parents, spouse, kids, friends, employer,..we cannot/willnot settle for anything less!

I'm think Rhonda was referring to much more generic expectations?..perhaps too high of expectations? Maybe what she meant is that we shouldn't "expect" other people to make us FEEL a certain way. That we shouldn't place so much value on our expectations of them..that our ultimate happiness is affected.

i.e. dinner out with hubby and you expect him to notice your new hairdo, you are disappointed when he doesn't notice and you let it ruin your whole evening because your needs weren't met.

i.e. you expect your girlfriend to call you daily, you usually talk this often anyways..you've grown used to it and NEED it. When she doesn't call you one day..you are very disappointed and are miserable for 2 days until you finally make ammends.

i.e. when you're feeling blue and you expect your husband to KNOW when you need a hug without even asking for one..and your world falls apart after he doesn't respond accordingly.

i.e. when you expect your husband to start helping around the house the minute he walks through the door after work and he doesn't do it..it bothers you so much that your negative thinking takes over: he's so lazy, he doesn't care if I'm overwhelmed, he doesn't support me, he doesn't love me, he doesn't make me happy..

Cleverone 759 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-10-06, 06:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleverone Click to send private message to Cleverone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."

My sentiments, exactly LMDD...great post!

"I walk in my own shoes..."

02-14-06, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bentherdunthat Click to send private message to bentherdunthat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
Excellent post lovemydogdude. This is exactly the "nuance" I was missing. I wonder if Kim caught it.

02-10-06, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleverone Click to send private message to Cleverone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
BTDT...I've often heard the comment...."If you don't put unrealistic expectations on people then they won't disappoint you"...I kinda see what Rhonda meant in that when you expect someone to behave in a certain way (according to your way of thinking) and they don't, then you're not vested and you won't be disappointed....I view it as a safe guard for one's emotions, especially when the expectations are unrealistic as some of Kim's were (IMO). I feel that we all have normal expectations much like those you mentioned, however, to expect others to do as "we'd like for them to do" is... as a premise...unrealistic. When, in all actuality, "we control only ourselves" and so we're asking them to be our puppets as we're assuming the role of puppet master in control of them through our expectations of them.

I tell my mother as my father gets older and she "expects" him to be able to continue to do things as if he were a much younger man...he's not able to...and to "expect" him to is very unrealistic and controlling....which often leads to her disappointments.

Expectations are a form of control and no, I don't think we have that right. Just my thoughts on the matter.

OklaBlue 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-10-06, 06:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
From another recap for a Kim/Rhonda clip regarding expectations she had of an aunt who Kim thought was unauthentic:

"asks Rhonda if she should just not have any expectations at all. Rhonda says that is exactly it--she shouldn't have any at all"

When you put an expectation on someone else, you can set yourself up for disappointment. Because it is YOUR expectation. THEY may not know about it. THEY have not agreed to it. The expectation is from your own mind, not theirs. Similar perhaps to the "truth" of what someone says about you - it may or not be true, it is their interpretation or assertion. Any problem is in the mind of the beholder, not the target. The target (the one upon whom expectations are placed) may not have a clue about the "problem" (expectation).

A child should be able to expect love from parents.
Society should expect parents to love and care for their kids.
That doesn't always happen.
You can expect another to bail you out, but when that doesn't happen, you feel abused/cheated/frustrated/unloved because your expectation did not come to fruition.

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-06, 09:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
Ben. I totally agree. Had Rhonda specified 'unrealistic' expectations that would be a different story but from I heard all Rhonda said was that is was indeed wrong to have ANY expectations. I do not agree with Rhonda on that and many other issues.

SOWayz 179 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-11-06, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOWayz Click to send private message to SOWayz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
It seems like Rhonda has been in a funk all season. Maybe she has been burned by someone recently, and has her defenses up. She certainly hasn't had any expectations of Lisa, which has been detrimental to the show. I agree that it's important to define the kind of behavior that we want to live with.

02-11-06, 01:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I believe this exercise was really pretty vague. If they'd show a little less foot footage..maybe they could add a few more lines to elaborate on these serious points they're trying to make.

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-06, 08:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
My feeling on Kim is that she keeps score. She can only justify love if the score is on the 'they don't hurt me as much as XXX' rating.

Just looking at her list of people who she said are 'supposed' to love her, there were 19!!!! And she kept track of every time they did something that she perceived as hurtful to her.

So that is why I think Rhonda was trying to tell her not to expect, just give love and let it come back to you without strings, rules, lists etc.

Her must live her life very cautiously to gather such a list of heartbreaks from the people who love her. I think Kim has to keep track of all the little things she perceives her loved ones do to her so she can justify being unloved. I hope she turns that around before Jaxs gets older, because he was on the list already for wanting to be with daddy instead of her.

I think she made great strides with that list, and with role playing with the other HG in group. Her face looks softer and I see her smile more - which I take as a good sign.

02-11-06, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I don't look at it as keeping score - I think it's just that some things will stick in our head no matter what if our peception of the event is that it caused extreme physical or mental pain. I think some of Kim's expecations of her husband are valid and legitimate. If he's drawing a wall between them, not sharing HIS feelings and concerns, not including her in his everyday life then why bother being together. I think it's giving Kim a very wrong message when Rhonda tells her she is NOT supposed to have ANY expecations whatsoever. I fully expect to get the respect from my son that I have worked hard to earn and if I don't get it I am going to very ticked off and I feel very justified in having that expectation regarless of what Rhonda says or thinks. Kim should follow her own instincts on some things and in this instance she should definitely disregard Rhonda's misplaced advice.

MariJ 157 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-06, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MariJ Click to send private message to MariJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
becketrapp...I understand what you're saying about thinking some of Kim's expectations are valid regarding Jeff. I've been all over the map in my feelings regarding Kim. At first I felt very sorry for her. Than I must admit couldn't really stand her.

As far as I'm concerned, I see that she's really trying and don't see her as resistant or defensive as she was in the beginning. Getting back to her expectations of her husband. I keep getting this nagging feeling that Jeff feels as though he has to "fix" Kim. I don't see his interactions as much caring as one of a father that is acting put off with a child. Maybe I'm the only one that has this view. I'm wondering if this is what Kim is feeling, too, with Jeff and that this is what she's sensing and can't verbalize it or doesn't understand this is what she's feeling.

Yes, I see that Kim has unrealistic expectations at times and I don't go along with Rhonda that we shouldn't have ANY expectations of anyone. When someone doesn't expect anything, they end up being doormats and allowing any type of behavior. Although, I don't think Kim would allow that.

I was in the generation that men didn't help women, at least in my circle of friends. Now I hear so often women complain how the men don't help or do anything and certain things come out that they've helped doing this and that. I get amazed that their perception is that they (women) do EVERYTHING, which when it comes out is far from the truth.

Labyrinth 1248 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-06, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
>My feeling on Kim is that
>she keeps score.

EXACTLY. Because her expectations and she keeps score she will always be disappointed.

>Just looking at her list of
>people who she said are
>'supposed' to love her, there
>were 19!!!!

I found that rather scary! Sorry but she has kept an itemized LIST of what everyone has done to hurt her and not meet her emotional needs? If it had been one or two people we could say that maybe they acted badly to Kim, but for her to list 19... the problem is clearly with Kim.

> I hope she
>turns that around before Jaxs
>gets older, because he was
>on the list already for
>wanting to be with daddy
>instead of her.

Out of college I worked for an insurance co. answering policy questions. One of the letters we got in from someone changing her beneficiary from her son - QUOTE "who ruined my life since he was five years old" - and giving her insurance money instead to her live-in lover. That letter has always stuck in my mind --- it could have been written by Kim 20 years from now.

msbehavin 69 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

02-11-06, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail msbehavin Click to send private message to msbehavin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
>I think Kim should expect to be treated with consideration from her husband.<

One example Kim gave about feeling unloved by her husband really bothered me. She mentioned a time when she had arrived home from the hospital after giving birth, and was nursing the baby. A neighbor brought over something for dinner for the family, and Kim's husband sat there and ate all the food without offering her any.

It may seem insignificant to some people, but I, too, would feel completely invisible and unloved if I were overlooked like this by my husband. If this is any indication of how he treats her on a day-to-day basis, then it's no wonder their relationship is in trouble! And Rhonda is telling Kim that she should have NO expectations whatsoever? Forget TLC-- what about plain old common courtesy?

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-06, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I think there are two issues with Kim.

One is you can't be a doormat. If there are expectations you have that you expect to be part of a situation you have to verbalize them you can't expect people to read you mind. One of the things I find with these women is we hear what we want to hear with the stories they tell. It seems amazing to me that she remember this clearly this one incident. My thought is before she went to the hospital did they have a discussion about what they were going to do for meals,etc. when she was going to be tired with the baby, etc. At that point she could have included him in planning for making meals ahead and freezing them, getting prepared meals, etc. I've found it pays to be specific about your needs and expectations if you want something as oppose to sitting around and being angry because they weren't met because they didn't read your mind.

I get the impression Kim needs to learn to say I need... Now he still may be a jerk and not meet those needs or he may step up to the plate and say OK so what can I do.

The other thing I think Rhonda was referring to is Kim's insistance that other people meet her emotional expectations. Other people aren't responsible for making you happy. She even cited that her son is supposed to be disappointing her? What? That's a clear sign she doesn't understand she and only she can decide to be happy and make that happen. It isn't her aunt's job to fufill her needs.

OklaBlue 1244 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-06, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
"we hear what we want to hear with the stories they tell"
good point. Viewers interpret what these women say ALSO depending on their own life experiences. And we pick up the phrases we do to talk about also depending on our own mindset.

It's kind of tricky.

02-14-06, 06:52 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."

Great post,Baxtera!!

02-15-06, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
>One example Kim gave about feeling
>unloved by her husband really
>bothered me. She mentioned
>a time when she had
>arrived home from the hospital
>after giving birth, and was
>nursing the baby. A
>neighbor brought over something for
>dinner for the family, and
>Kim's husband sat there and
>ate all the food without
>offering her any.

This "example" by Kim was pathetic. Sorry but there it is. We will never know the entire story but I can think of several scenarios off the top of my head ---

Husband thought she was alseep so didn't off her any.

Kim sat there with her mouth all tight and bitter, watching husband eat and never said, "could you fix me a plate, honey?"

And if hubby did eat all the damn food, why not tell him to order out for herself?

When we came home with my first child, my husband and I were BOTH exhausted. If Jeff had been with Kim during the entire labor then most likely he hadn't eaten either. My husband actually collasped aftewards because he had been up for 18 straight hours - meanwhile after having a baby I felt energized!

Any capable labor coach will tell you that you should have food stored in for when you come home.

What strikes me about Kim's comments about Jax and the pregnancy is her naivete about having a baby and what that is supposed to be like. She strikes me as a woman who really doesn't know much about babies or parenting. To be jealous because Jax "prefers Jeff"?? WTF? This is just about her own emotional needs and how she is a neverending blackhole of neediness.

No one will ever measure up to the standard of unending love and attention that Kim requires. I'm personally surprised that Jeff hasn't left her already although it's obvious that the poor guy is completely oblivious to her thoughts considering he was talking to her daily and supporting her - and she was all kissy face, lap sitting, hand holding when he visited Cali.

mantramaven 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

02-11-06, 01:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mantramaven Click to send private message to mantramaven Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I think where Rhonda went wrong was she didn't address Kim's INTERPRETATIONS of the events. She feels unloved so she finds ways to confirm that through people's actions and what she thinks it means. If she didn't have those feelings she may have been annoyed at her husband for not thinking of her re: the food the neighbors brought and she could maybe think of him as selfish instead of making it always about her. Rhonda seems to be getting at the fact that expectations lead to disappointment when the expectations aren't met.
On a positive note, Kim seemed to have an emotional breakthrough! She seems much more open and real now that some of the walls have come down and she let it out. You go girl!

Zoey 326 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-11-06, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Zoey Click to send private message to Zoey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
It seems to me that Kim equates love with thoughtfulness. The truth is, some people just aren't that thoughtful.

Example - My sister just sent me two Valentine cards, one from her and one from my cat (my baby). This was a very thoughtful thing that brought a smile to my face but I just don't think to do these things for her. It's not that I don't care or think about her, I'm just not that creative or curteous of a person.

I could make more of an effort and I do sometimes think that my sister thinks I don't love her like she loves me - at the same time, sometimes you just need to respect that not everyone is as thoughtful as you are.

The example that struck me was when Kim said her Aunt didn't buy her anything from Banana Republic.

You love people in your own way and let others love you in their way - I think that is what Rhonda was trying to say.

02-11-06, 06:22 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
The story she told about her husband eating all the food the neighbor brought over: There is more info I'd like to know regarding this..but of course we won't ever know...

Was it only a small sized meal? Was she not hungry when it first arrived? I cannot see her husband doing this to her. I know it's possible but to me it seems more possible that we didn't get the whole story. If my suspicions were true then this would be an example of her unrealistic/inappropriate expectations

i.e. Did she expect him to save her 1/2 of it when she didn't want to eat at the time? If so..she should have told him. Did she get upset/hurt when he didn't do what she "expected" him to do even though she didn't verbalize what she wanted? (in her mind a good husband would have KNOWN to save her 1/2 type of deal..) I know I could be totally wrong here but her perception of what happened in this situation could be incorrect if she did in fact have unrealistic expectations of him. JMO

02-11-06, 07:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I was glad someone mentioned the Banana Republic comment as I remember hearing that and thinking for heavens sake your a grown woman if you want something from Banana Republic go buy it. It's not your Aunt's job to get you clothes especially if you don't mention you need something. Kim obviously has been a real victim and needs to deal with that but she also creates situations in which she becomes a victim by creating these unrealistic expectations and then holding huge grudge fests if they don't live up to her level of caring. I'm not sure how buying something at the Banana Republic equates with loving someone. That's pretty shallow.

02-11-06, 08:05 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I agree..this would be one example of why her expectations can be unreasonable..because she tends to expect too much I think Rhonda's saying NO expectations because she probably needs to stop having them..I believe she was not referring to the universally expectations in life.

It is sad, and understandable that her abusive childhood led her to rely so much on her expectations. I'm sure her fantasies and ideas of what her life would/should be like resulted from her horrible childhood. What else did she have to cling to? Who did she have to teach her? It would also seem that as an abused child she would need to control her environment as an adult..by creating these expectations which only hurt her when she's constantly let down. JMO

02-12-06, 08:12 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I think Kim has a definite problem with one demanding respect and communicating her needs in an appropriate way that doesn't come across as hostile and attacking. I think she probably is one of those people who has expectations of behavior and treatment that waits until she's ready to blow before she says anything about what's wrong and then wonders why people don't react in a postive way about what she has to say.

I find everyone has different expectations about the level and type of help they want around the house and what the best thing a spouse/signifcant other can do to help. I've sat with woman and talked and we all have different ideas about the ideal things he could do for us. The key is we've all learned if we don't specifically outline those needs that osmosis doesn't do it. If he isn't doing something you need and isn't picking up on it with your death ray odds are speaking about it politley would be more effective.

I think her second issue is her fantasy issue about what love is and how it's shown by other people. She really seems to have a score card approach that she is very materially oriented. Caring and love are quantitative and measured by what one does for her.

02-12-06, 08:59 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I agree Bax..the worst part is not that the expectations exist but moreso the life emphasis she places on them it seems. If you let negative thoughts consume you AND you place so much significance on other's behaviors/reactions then you'll fersure be let down over and over again. Happiness is not another's responsibility..it's ultimately your own. Life will let you down repeatedly..it would be hard to let go of your expectations and stop blaming someone..especially if you were accustomed to doing so.

02-14-06, 01:32 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
Kim reminds me a lot of Allison in this regard (the score keeping, the equating love with "acts"-the whole tit for tat mentality).She is so unwilling to just SAY what she needs, instead she expects that people should automatically know what she needs.

lifeless_93 65 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-06, 11:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lifeless_93 Click to send private message to lifeless_93 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I agree that Rhonda wasn't referring to the unverisal expectations of life, if so then Kim should not expect that Rhonda could help her start her life over. Thus there would be no reason for Kim to be in the house.

02-15-06, 10:22 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
>I was glad someone mentioned the
>Banana Republic comment as I
>remember hearing that and thinking
>for heavens sake your a
>grown woman if you want
>something from Banana Republic go
>buy it. It's not
>your Aunt's job to get
>you clothes especially if you
>don't mention you need something.

I missed this --- again, I guess everyone that loves Kim is a mind reader?

I'm just struck by all the specific incidents that Kim has outlined here. If someone said they didn't feel love, I would expect more general comments like, "when I try to talk about my feelings about my parents he shuts me off and goes to watch television." Instead, note, that Kim has actual episodes of when she didn't get some physical thing she wanted (i.e. food, clothes, flowers) etc...

This is probably the scariest scenario that I've heard yet in the SO house. And I'm not being sarcastic

02-14-06, 01:35 PM (EST)
22. "This place is LOADED with brilliant women...."
I'm so glad and grateful that you have been kind enough to share your insights. I'm enjoying this thread immensely. Thank you!

I think Rhonda should have been clearer when she made that statement to Kim-but then again, Kim may not be ready to make the distinction between a realistic and an unrealistic expectation.

EnfanTerrible 1239 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-06, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnfanTerrible Click to send private message to EnfanTerrible Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."

Someday if Rhonda ever has a successful romantic relationship, she might learn that many, if not most, healthy people do not enjoy being tickled. Except for quiet activities like drawing on each others' backs, ticklers rarely stop until they feel they have made you desperate.

02-14-06, 03:35 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
LAST EDITED ON 02-14-06 AT 05:03 PM (EST)

LOL ET
I'm hoping she meant just a little bit..to lighten the mood..besides I don't think Kim would invest much energy into it (not for long anyways) because she'd be too busy expecting him to do what she wanted in the first place.

As far as Kim's expectations..did you notice that when Dr. Stan asked her what her fantasy was re: her husband loving her was..she started right off with him waking up when Jax woke up..then they lived happily ever after.

And the flowers, well she has a good point if she has shared her favorite type with hi and he hasn't listened BUT how did she tell him? Was she so disappointed when she received roses that she pouted for days and then complained..what type of flowers does she like? Are they extravagant? costly? Does he disagree that she should be so pety and demanding?

I think Dr. Stan's lesson was very good..hopefully she heard what he was saying!? She was so busy interrupting him who knows. It sounds like Jodie got some good information..so her husband does know how to communicate,..is it him that's not listening or her?

02-14-06, 06:53 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."

>>>I think Dr. Stan's lesson was very good..hopefully she heard what he was saying!? She was so busy interrupting him who knows. It sounds like Jodie got some good information..so her husband does know how to communicate,..is it him that's not listening or her? <<<<

Good point LMDD...

lifeless_93 65 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-06, 11:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lifeless_93 Click to send private message to lifeless_93 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
NO kidding I love to be tickled and encourage my husband to tickle me. (which he enjoys) However if I even act as if I am going to tickle him not only does he get upset sometimes he will even get out of the bed and go in the other room. Prehaps Rhonda should have asked Kim if her husband likes to be tickled first. Telling Kim that she should tickle her husband and he does not like to be tickled WILL cause more problems in an already strained marriage!!!

02-21-06, 07:13 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
Enfan, you are so right about the ticklers - I think tickling can be a very sadistic way of torture under the guise of friendly playfulness. I can't stand for someone to run their finger on the bottom of my feet and yet if I'm sitting on the couch my husband will occasionally reach over and run his finger down the middle of the bottom of my foot and I can't stand it! And what's worse is that he KNOWS I can't stand it - I think it's his way of being passive-agressive and will almost always lead to some kind of argument - I get po'd and then he gets this attitude as if to say - geesh, WHAT is YOUR problem - my problem??? Does it have to be problem because I just don't like the feeling of someone running their finger down the middle of the bottom of my foot???? Sorry for the rant - must have been reliving the moment LOL. Back on topic - Rhonda is just plain off base and isn't it an 'expectation' on her part that she expects Kim not to have ANY expectations???

mirage3033 100 desperate attention whore postings

02-21-06, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mirage3033 Click to send private message to mirage3033 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Rhonda's comment about Kim's expectations..."
I too equate tickling as a form of torture, but there are people out there who like it, go figure. Something Labyrith said is very true. People with unspoken expectations do expect others to be mindreaders. (guilty as charged). What I have learn about unspoken expectations is you are going to be let down, or kicked in the butt. I agree Kim is a professional victim and she has been keeping score. Hope for her sake she gets over it and hopefully these exercises help her, but I am not betting money on it, the exercises that is.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •